Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget 2018: Cycling loses...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Yes and 10 cent extra on a can of Coke for when your bolloxed after a long, tough spin... Bastards!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,430 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Given most of the time we give out about the facilities that are provided and many of us don't use them, I don't see this as particularly bad news.

A completely new approach to cycling infrastructure is probably called for, but the odd million here and there is not going to deliver that.

Of course there are already certain initiatives underway, and I really don't think this is something to create a fuss over

• Registered Users Posts: 8,832 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

It's pretty worthless, it's around 80 cents per head of Irish population..?

The Dutch spend around €32 per head of population..

I guess then we should all quit complaining and get in our cars...

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,430 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Once they remove the ridiculous planning restrictions in Dublin and start building upwards like modern cities, space will be freed up facilitating a joined up public transport system and allowing roads to be widened and extra cycling facilities to be provided. Alas that needs forward thinking and I suspect will not be delivered in my lifetime

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Beasty wrote: »
    Once they remove the ridiculous planning restrictions in Dublin and start building upwards like modern cities, space will be freed up facilitating a joined up public transport system and allowing roads to be widened and extra cycling facilities to be provided. Alas that needs forward thinking and I suspect will not be delivered in my lifetime

Or or kids lifetime!

• Advertisement

The Dutch were, of course, able to re-build after the war and put a modern infrastructure in place. Not wishing a war on us, but there needs to be some fundamental changes within Irish society to deliver sustained improvements to the infrastructure. Alas though I think the NIMBYs are too dominant/influential in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Feckofff

In fairness there are about 90 votes in cycling issues and 85 of those are already going to the greens.

Are we really expecting FG to chase 5 votes?

When cyclist start voting like OAPs things will change!

Feckofff wrote: »
    When cyclist start voting like OAPs things will change!
    Not that long to go for some of us....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

The Dutch were, of course, able to re-build after the war and put a modern infrastructure in place
    not quite true, i believe:

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2015/may/05/amsterdam-bicycle-capital-world-transport-cycling-kindermoord

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

Once they remove the ridiculous planning restrictions in Dublin and start building upwards like modern cities, space will be freed up facilitating a joined up public transport system...

They are talking about this at the moment though aren’t they? Not removing it entirely but raising the restriction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

I think I also read about removing the requirements to provide car parking spaces in apartment blocks within 1km of QBC or Luas too? Sounds like a positive move to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

If you want something to change then it has to be an election issue.

Otherwise no point in complaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

Once they remove the ridiculous planning restrictions in Dublin and start building upwards like modern cities, space will be freed up facilitating a joined up public transport system and allowing roads to be widened and extra cycling facilities lanes for cars to be provided. Alas that needs forward thinking and I suspect will not be delivered in my lifetime
    FYP :mad:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Cycling only loses if you think "cycling infrastructure" is a good idea. As a cyclist, I'd prefer if they spent the money on something else.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

The Dutch were, of course, able to re-build after the war and put a modern infrastructure in place. Not wishing a war on us, but there needs to be some fundamental changes within Irish society to deliver sustained improvements to the infrastructure. Alas though I think the NIMBYs are too dominant/influential in this country.

It's isn't always the NIMBYS. That someone nowhere a development halfway across the country can lodge an appeal based on little more than feeling is all kinds of wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭Macy0161

As already pointed out, this is a myth.

The cities that are now held up as examples of cycling infrastructure now, were rebuilt after the war as car-centric cities.

It was in the 60's, with rising death rates of pedestrians and cyclists that the cities were reconfigured to prioritise pedestrians and cyclists. Utrecht was the case study I have previously read iirc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

a comment on cycling and the budget, but specific to the proposed velodrome:
    http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/no-irish-velodrome-budget/

a comment on cycling and the budget, but specific to the proposed velodrome:
    http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/no-irish-velodrome-budget/
    I'd expect Ross to be all in favour of indoor cycling that takes them out of the way of forcing cars to close pass them on the road...

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I'd expect Ross to be all in favour of indoor cycling that takes them out of the way of forcing cars to close pass them on the road...

And mountain biking! Moves cyclists off the road too...

That Ticknock trail near Stepaside, is in bits, needs a lot of repair work, and a few more trails to get best use out of the coillte lands..Could definitely do with some budget..

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I'd be genuinely surprised if he even knew what a velodrome was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

I'd be genuinely surprised if he even knew what a velodrome was.

"Wasn't Tina Turner in that?"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭dbagman

Tenzor07 wrote:
    That Ticknock trail near Stepaside, is in bits, needs a lot of repair work, and a few more trails to get best use out of the coillte lands..Could definitely do with some budget..

Sorry I'm not familiar with the area, but how do you propose they repair it? Tarmac it? Wouldn't be much of a mountain bike trail then would it??

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

<Snip>

dbagman wrote: »
    Sorry I'm not familiar with the area, but how do you propose they repair it? Tarmac it? Wouldn't be much of a mountain bike trail then would it??
    Even "natural" trails do need maintenance work, due to wear and tear, weathering etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,398 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Just remember that politicians only have two aims in life get relected and stay on the gravy train as long as possible.
    Its why you don't see management restructuring in the hse and layoffs. It's why they somehow think slapping a tax on sugary drinks is a solution where the solution is make schools not have vending machines and do have canteens that serve real food with nutritional guidelines.
    Somehow replacing ice cars with electric cars is a solution where making sure that places are served by public transport that actually allows you to get to work before 9am .

But leo spends 5 million on a department of spin. They are all a f***in joke and wouldn't last 5 minutes in a real job.

Rant over

dbagman wrote: »

Is that meant to be a serious question or just taking the P?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Feckofff

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Is that meant to be a serious question or just taking the P?

People don't realise the work that goes into MTB trails, so I would guess it's an honest question.

Feckofff wrote: »
    People don't realise the work that goes into MTB trails, so I would guess it's an honest question.

I guess..

Anyone who's been around these trails would know they're in a bad state of repair, and need a lot of work done to restore and upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Good to see Basel is mentioned on that chart, theres great cycling infrstruture here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Macy0161 wrote: »
    The cities that are now held up as examples of cycling infrastructure now, were rebuilt after the war as car-centric cities.

It was in the 60's, with rising death rates of pedestrians and cyclists that the cities were reconfigured to prioritise pedestrians and cyclists.

Certainly, the change in policy seemed to really start having an effect in the mid-70s, which was 30 years after the end of WWII.

12_inverse_trend_fatalities.png

Advertisement