Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget 2018: Cycling loses...

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Good to see Basel is mentioned on that chart, theres great cycling infrstruture here
    I really loved cycling around Basel, back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

Cycling only loses if you think "cycling infrastructure" is a good idea. As a cyclist, I'd prefer if they spent the money on something else.

Well it also loses out in terms of public perception and government priorities. I agree with you that more sub standard "cycling infrastructure" is not a solution, but that the lack of any serious pro-cycling measures (e.g. incentivising companies to provide bike facilities, including showers) is annoying although expected. Additionally the lumping in of "walking and traffic management" and the clear bundling of cycling with tourism activities suggests that the government doesn't take cycling seriously as a contributor to a national transport plan.

The major issue around cycling, particularly in Dublin, is legitimising it as an acceptable mode of transport (separate from environmental/leisure/fitness activity) in the eyes of the driving public. There's no sign of this being addressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

dbagman wrote: »
    Sorry I'm not familiar with the area, but how do you propose they repair it? Tarmac it? Wouldn't be much of a mountain bike trail then would it??

What, a smooth surface for cycling on.... Where is this nirvana? :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    What, a smooth surface for cycling on.... Where is this nirvana? :D

Sundrive ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭dbagman

Tenzor07 wrote:
    Is that meant to be a serious question or just taking the P?

Genuine question. I'd assume a mountain bike trail is meant to be rough given it's off road cycling? So what needs repairing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Genuine question. I'd assume a mountain bike trail is meant to be rough given it's off road cycling? So what needs repairing?

Rough, yes. Uncycleable, no. Which is what it becomes if ut's not maintained as bits erode or fall away/collapse. Like any road, path, trail, etc that falls into disrepair if not maintained.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

On topic - €110m for cycling and walking and €56m for Greenways over next 4 years
    http://irishcycle.com/2017/10/11/e166m-allocated-to-cycling-and-walking-over-four-years/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭dbagman

Lusk_Doyle wrote:
    Rough, yes. Uncycleable, no. Which is what it becomes if ut's not maintained as bits erode or fall away/collapse. Like any road, path, trail, etc that falls into disrepair if not maintained.

Iv an uncle who mountain bikes. The muddier and tougher the terrain the better. Loves it. I'm still not getting how the ground can erode and collapse? Unless you're cycling on a cliff top? The ground becomes uneven the more it's used and the trail tougher perhaps, but then it's off road biking....isnt that the point?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

I'm still not getting how the ground can erode and collapse? Unless you're cycling on a cliff top? The ground becomes uneven the more it's used and the trail tougher perhaps, but then it's off road biking....isnt that the point?

This kind of thing happens.
    IMG_0152.jpg

The whole idea of MTB trails is to create rideable off-road sections that can be taken (safelyish) at speed & with various technical challenges. If they erode too badly then there's no point in having a trail, you may as well just point a bike in any direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,832 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Iv an uncle who mountain bikes. The muddier and tougher the terrain the better. Loves it. I'm still not getting how the ground can erode and collapse? Unless you're cycling on a cliff top? The ground becomes uneven the more it's used and the trail tougher perhaps, but then it's off road biking....isnt that the point?

Yea, if you were an MTB'er you'd understand...

"The Gap" trails in Glencullen show how it's supposed to be done, leave it to the private sector I guess!

Anyhoo, I'm sure the budget for trails maintenance comes from Coillte budget, or possibly the tourism budget...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,070 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Tenzor07 wrote: »

Yea, if you were an MTB'er you'd understand...

"The Gap" trails in Glencullen show how it's supposed to be done, leave it to the private sector I guess!

Anyhoo, I'm sure the budget for trails maintenance comes from Coillte budget, or possibly the tourism budget...
    How long did it take those really clever private sector folks to build the trails there?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,832 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

How long did it take those really clever private sector folks to build the trails there?

In terms of? consulting, planning, design, construction, marketing, staffing, opening?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭Macy0161

That's great that he's got the skills, but not every one does. That's why at trail centres they have different rated trails for different abilities.

However, it's not just about maintaining it for the mountain bikers, it's about preventing erosion and minimising impact on the surrounding landscape.

Anyway, I'm sure there's lots of people using them that aren't aware that even natural trails were built and/or maintained by other people and just assume they're following others and just heading into the forest...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,070 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    In terms of? consulting, planning, design, construction, marketing, staffing, opening?

The whole shebang - you seem to be implying that trails just appear out of nowhere, and don't need to be maintained.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Sorry but any chance of some comments on the actual budget instead of all this ****eology on MTB trails and repairs?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Sorry but any chance of some comments on the actual budget instead of all this ****eology on MTB trails and repairs?

Yes. The budget was announced the other day. Now, back to the trails!

Advertisement