Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Security Alarm Newbie

Options
  • 10-10-2017 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

This my first post on this forum, having read through threads for advice etc.

I've been seeking quotes for a security alarm for a new build 3 bed semi that is pre-wired with wires at each opening, and 16 openings in total.

I'm looking for contact sensors at each opening, plus a PIR for front hall. I'm not seeking monitoring (though may opt for a self monitored alarm via an app)

I've had varying quotes for Siemens and HKC alarm installations and I have zero experience in purchasing an alarm, so I don't know what represents good value.

I have a quote of €800 for a Siemens SPC4220 alarm installation, and another quote for a HKC alarm installation for €1,195 (though that comes with 1 year free monitoring).

I'm surprised by the difference in price - Is there that much of a difference between the two brands? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

There is more in a difference in brands that determines the cost.

What is the most important thing here is the specifications.
    What is each installer proposing?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

This my first post on this forum, having read through threads for advice etc.

I've been seeking quotes for a security alarm for a new build 3 bed semi that is pre-wired with wires at each opening, and 16 openings in total.

I'm looking for contact sensors at each opening, plus a PIR for front hall. I'm not seeking monitoring (though may opt for a self monitored alarm via an app)

I've had varying quotes for Siemens and HKC alarm installations and I have zero experience in purchasing an alarm, so I don't know what represents good value.

I have a quote of €800 for a Siemens SPC4220 alarm installation, and another quote for a HKC alarm installation for €1,195 (though that comes with 1 year free monitoring).

I'm surprised by the difference in price - Is there that much of a difference between the two brands? Thanks in advance.

Best option is to get a few more quotes comparing like with like.
    Is there monitoring on the Siemens system?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Spider Rico

I'm seeking non-monitored, and in the future may opt to add monitoring, so initially only self monitoring.

The Siemens is for the following:
    A 12 volt backup battery, sensors for 16 openings, 1 x PIR, a dummy rear bell, external bell with strobe and led and an internal bell.

The HKC quote is only summary detail at this stage, though the ask was for a quote comparable to the above - the monitoring piece is mentioned in the proposal though 'free in year 1'.

I had an additional quote, though that was for a wireless system which I've rules out on the basis that I have the house pre-wired and it makes sense to make use of that.

I agree that more reading and more quotes might be needed before I'm comfortable making a decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

I'm seeking non-monitored, and in the future may opt to add monitoring, so initially only self monitoring.

The Siemens is for the following:
    A 12 volt backup battery, sensors for 16 openings, 1 x PIR, a dummy rear bell, external bell with strobe and led and an internal bell.

The HKC quote is only summary detail at this stage, though the ask was for a quote comparable to the above - the monitoring piece is mentioned in the proposal though 'free in year 1'.

I had an additional quote, though that was for a wireless system which I've rules out on the basis that I have the house pre-wired and it makes sense to make use of that.

I agree that more reading and more quotes might be needed before I'm comfortable making a decision.

If the system is wired then that's the route to take.
    Systems today can be wired and have the option of adding wire free, handy for adding smoke detectors and pirs if not wired for.
    We don't give out pricing here but the more quotes you have it gives you more to work with.
    Either system can be self monitored. Just make sure you have engineer access if your planning on adding on at a later date.

The Siemens is for the following: A 12 volt backup battery, sensors for 16 openings,

No offence Spider Rico, but the terminology used there drives me mad.
    Sensors for 16 openings.

To be quite clear here, a sensor to me is an inertia shock sensor that detects vibrations.

What that sneaky description there is suggesting that contacts, that only detect the opening of a window or door, are those same sensors.

On average an inertia shock sensor is around 3 or 4 times the price of a contact.

Just bear in mind you can smash the glass on a window that only has a contact on it and the alarm will not detect you.
    If the glass is big enough then the intruder can enter your home and bypass your alarm, I know you have a beam, but they are already in at that stage and will grab some stuff and run with it after the beam detects them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭bungaro79

have you thought about getting a phone watch alarm :D

spider rico, we got an alarm fitted by kub recently and the man knows his stuff. if you're in the cork area i would call him but if not then get a few local installers in and get them to run through your options. we went with those inertia sensors that he talked about above

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Spider Rico

Thanks Kub, that's useful advice.

Not offended at all...I've literally copy and pasted that from the quote document, which doesn't detail whether they're contacts or intertia shock sensors. I now suspect that they must be contacts, and I see the benefit in going with the inertia shock sensors instead - that helps with getting some quotes that are more relevant to what I'm lookingfor.

I'm Dublin based, so a little too far from Cork I think :)

bungaro79 wrote: »
    have you thought about getting a phone watch alarm :D

spider rico, we got an alarm fitted by kub recently and the man knows his stuff. if you're in the cork area i would call him but if not then get a few local installers in and get them to run through your options. we went with those inertia sensors that he talked about above

Thank you, but to be honest, I think the old saying " throw enough mud at a wall and some of it is bound to stick", is more appropriate :D:D:D.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Your quotes seem very basic & sparse on detail.
    You should be getting a full detailed specification/system design proposal.
    This should list all equipment , locations & all detection devices & their protection.
    Ideally this should by Inertia shock sensors & contacts to detect opening & forced entry on all ground floor & accessible points.
    Also a couple of PiR (Motion Sensors) to detect movement withing the protected area(s)
    Also if you are looking at self monitoring the system you want with Siemens/Vanderbilt would be the SPC4320 not 4220.
    Also if you are looking at self monitoring take a look at this sticky Some systems will tie you to paymenys for self monitoring & every app you need.

Thanks Kub, that's useful advice.

Not offended at all...I've literally copy and pasted that from the quote document, which doesn't detail whether they're contacts or intertia shock sensors. I now suspect that they must be contacts, and I see the benefit in going with the inertia shock sensors instead - that helps with getting some quotes that are more relevant to what I'm lookingfor.

I'm Dublin based, so a little too far from Cork I think :)

Make sure any of the local guys there are PSA registered and get yourself at least 3 proper written and descriptive specifications. Officially these are known as System Design Proposals. Of course it is much better that installers actually come to look at your place, we have seen many disasters here of phone quotes and a recent one that involved the customer sending on pictures of his house and he ended up having to fork out another € 400 for his alarm than he never expected.

• Advertisement
Advertisement