Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of vinyl records

• 10-10-2017 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

A lot of new vinyl records cost 20 or more euro these days.

Wondering if this because of the cost of manufacture or is it a rip-off?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

Mostly cost of manufacture, as pressing plants are struggling to keep up with demand. The rise in popularity of vinyl since the late 00's is eventually going end up becoming a victim of its own success, and high costs will be its undoing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭bullpost

+ Hipster tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

The record companies jumped on the nostalgia bandwagon and are marketing vinyl. I trust they are gouging, as is their want.
    Personally, I picked up an original recording, in mint for a tenner. To me that's a more sound collectible than a re-issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 abdc1243

The record companies jumped on the nostalgia bandwagon and are marketing vinyl. I trust they are gouging, as is their want.
    Personally, I picked up an original recording, in mint for a tenner. To me that's a more sound collectible than a re-issue.

For sure, finding an original LP in decent condition is always sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 abdc1243

Mostly cost of manufacture, as pressing plants are struggling to keep up with demand. The rise in popularity of vinyl since the late 00's is eventually going end up becoming a victim of its own success, and high costs will be its undoing.

Just read https://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/oct/13/uk-vinyl-boom-sends-prices-premium-territory-album and this http://www.nme.com/blogs/nme-blogs/looks-like-buying-vinyl-could-get-a-whole-lot-cheaper-heres-why-1835575

So prices may come down - but not holding my breath.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

New Vinyl in Ireland is a total rip. When you look at $ prices from record stores abroad or Bands own websites you can really see the mark up.

Or even go to discogs and view the median price for any new release and compare to a BnM store here and you see the difference.

Freebird is the only place I will buy in Dublin. They genuinely try and keep prices as low as they can and are generally 1 or 1.50 cheaper than most other places.

Advertisement