Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Substituting

Options
  • 10-10-2017 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi,

I'm currently studying with hibernia college doing my pme in primary teaching. I was just wondering how I could go about getting subbing work? Do I register with the teaching council? Also where does one actually find subbing work? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

Didn't think you could paid without s TC number and i presume you don't have one so don't think you can get subbing work

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭LadyLorr20

Hello! I have just received my TC number, under the FE route. But my question, what would be the best way to go about getting subbing? Would there be some sort of database you can sign up to? I tried TextaSub but you need to be fully qualified for that option? Is there any other way? Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

You won't get anything unless a second level teacher in your subject area can't be found e.g. Irish, home ec

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭LadyLorr20

TheDriver wrote: »
    You won't get anything unless a second level teacher in your subject area can't be found e.g. Irish, home ec

Thanks! And this would be the same for primary? And there's no such thing as a database to sign up to, to make schools aware you're available if no one else can do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Redser87

There is into subsearch but I think you have to be fully qualified for that too.
    Schools in Dublin anyway are crying out for subs again this year, it would be worth your while dropping your CV into local schools - ideally in person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Can you sub long term with a TC number even though it's for FE? I presume it's the unqualified? Is it fair?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Can you sub long term with a TC number even though it's for FE? I presume it's the unqualified? Is it fair?

In primary , unqualified subs can only do 4 days on the trot .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

In primary , unqualified subs can only do 4 days on the trot .

That's not the case in my experience. That's only for unregistered subs. If registered under FE (but not qualified in primary) there's no limit on number of days but they are paid the unqualified rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

That's not the case in my experience. That's only for unregistered subs. If registered under FE (but not qualified in primary) there's no limit on number of days but they are paid the unqualified rate.

Yeah that's what I meant - they have a Teaching Council number but are not qualified. I thought the Teaching Council had stopped this but obviously you can still teach unqualified.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Yeah that's what I meant - they have a Teaching Council number but are not qualified. I thought the Teaching Council had stopped this but obviously you can still teach unqualified.

Unqualified subbing is still a thing unfortunately. I don't think TC regulation has had much effect at all. But there is more accountability I think for management having to show they looked for a qualified teacher for more long term work.

• Advertisement
Advertisement