Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next stage baby carrier

Options
  • 10-10-2017 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭

Hi guys!

I was just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a carrier for a toddler?

Up till now we've been using the baby born original and iv loved it. The last couple of weeks however, iv started to feel her weight when I'm wearing it and it's starting to hurt my shoulders. We have a buggy that I love, but tbh I'm so used to wearing baby around town etc that I find the buggy quite awkward doing anything other than going for a walk.

But I'm also wondering of it's even worth investing in another carrier? My LO is 14 months old, but tiny for her age, and she's also walking. I'd hate to loose the freedom the carrier has given me though.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I have a very tall 18 month old and we still use our Manduca regularly. He's a bit heavy for long days in it now but for most purposes it's fine. You could also consider using a woven wrap for back carries - a sturdy shortie (size 2/3) would double as a scarf and be quite handy for quickly putting a toddler up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭scarepanda

I have a very tall 18 month old and we still use our Manduca regularly. He's a bit heavy for long days in it now but for most purposes it's fine. You could also consider using a woven wrap for back carries - a sturdy shortie (size 2/3) would double as a scarf and be quite handy for quickly putting a toddler up.

Thanks rainbow Kirby! I'll have a look into both you have mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭fits

It might be a good idea to get a sling consultation.

I plan on doing that fits, I know baby wearing Ireland (?) Have a meet in Mullingar, which is the nearest one to me. They actually have Two meets/month, but I'd only be able to go to the Saturday one and I won't be able to go to that one till the December meet. Is there another way/crowd that do consultations? I only decided yesterday that it was definitely time to look into getting a new carrier, so only at the beginning of doing any research.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Might be worth checking out the Babywearing Ireland site and see if there's anything else within a reasonable distance, and possibly consider a postal rental from the national library.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I have a kibi, and I love it! I don't use it a huge amount, but I comfortably carried my then 19 mo on a hill walk in it in august. He's tall and fairly heavy (13kg last time he was weighed I think). He still has space in it too. It's suitable from 4 months (though I'd say at 4 months he was a bit small for it, so more like 6 mo really)

You could also borrow a couple of carriers from the national library to try out

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I use the Lille baby carry on for the toddler.
    It has good back support:)

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions!

Iv been looking online over the last day and I keep going back to a ring sling.

Pros: I like the way it can be folded away quite easily (I assume). She's only 14 months old but very independent and since she started walking all she wants to do is walk so I have a feeling she'll be in and out of whatever we get so I want something that's easy to get her into and something that can be put away. A carrier can be quite bulky and not really suitable to fold away and its a pain to leave on. I presume I can just tighten the sling if needed and it doesn't get in the way?

Also, none of the carriers iv seen seem to be front forward facing, my LO will only stay facing me when she's asleep/very close to asleep. I think the hip position in the ring sling would work for her so she can see everything. I'm not sure how she'd fair in a back carry position.

Also future proofing, if were lucky enough to have baby no.2 I really like the way you can discretely breastfeed with the ring sling. Its something I wish I could have done with the baby Bjorn.

Cons: as the ring sling is only one shoulder, can you feel the weight of a larger baby/small toddler with it? Or is the weight distributed? I worry that there isn't enough back support.

I will rent out slings/carriers when iv a better idea what might work the best. I won't be able to go to my local baby wearing Ireland group till they meet in December.

Sorry for the ramble, I don't know anyone who baby wears, so can't have a chat with them/try out what they use.

Advertisement