Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for advice running a resistance spot welder at home.

Options
  • 10-10-2017 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I bought a resistance spot welder for some hobby artwork I've been doing at home.

It came with a european plug and on inspecting a replacement to a 3 pin I discovered it needed a 25amp plug and therefore not a normal domestic socket which is only 13amp.

I'm aware that hobs, ovens water boilers are on a 30amp fuse line from the breaker box. Would it be possible to have a socket dedicated to the welder run from the 30amp line?  the device specs are 230v 50hz 1ph, power rating 2.3kw, mains fuse 25amps, max absorbed power 13kw, max spot welding current 6300amps and operates 3 spots per minute with down time of 20seconds minimum between each operation.

My concern is the safety of the house. appropriate guage of wire on that part of circuit. Or would it be better to get a dedicated line from the fuse box or just hire a generator and leave the house alone...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭EI: Aoife

Hi dreamcarnival,

Thank you for getting in touch.

ESB Networks maintain the electricity network for all electricity suppliers (including Electric Ireland).

As such, they would be able to advise in relation to any power capacity queries. You can find their contact details here.

We recommend contacting an independent electrical contractor to discuss your options as they may need to check your internal wiring.

If you have any other queries, please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks,
    Aoife

• Registered Users Posts: 6 dreamcarnival

Hi dreamcarnival,

Thank you for getting in touch.

ESB Networks maintain the electricity network for all electricity suppliers (including Electric Ireland).

As such, they would be able to advise in relation to any power capacity queries. You can find their contact details here.

We recommend contacting an independent electrical contractor to discuss your options as they may need to check your internal wiring.

If you have any other queries, please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks,
    Aoife
    Thanks Aoife. I'll do that.

Advertisement