Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Affluent areas of Cork city

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Just thinking, isn't Fiona Leahy's in douglas a posh optician?

snotboogie wrote: »
    I think the poster was doing the opposite, saying the queues outside KC's were evident of the lack of sophistication.

No doubt, I was on about the likes of this...........
    kub wrote: »
    A 'chipper', perhaps you are on the wrong side of the village.
    If you are referring to KC's then I would encourage you to familiarise yourself with the place, here is the menu http://www.kcandco.ie/menu.html
    Does that look like an average 'chipper' menu ?

Did you know that this establishment has won lots of Bridgestone food awards ?

That is why there are queues outside.

It is no a ' chipper '.

You should try it some time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭DylanGLC

pwurple wrote: »
    Douglas is not great for public transport and accessibility
    I disagree. The 206, 207, 216, 219, 220 and 223 all go through Douglas. There are many ways to get onto and off the South Link Road (whether it be in Rochestown, the centre of Douglas or Maryborough), and it is very close to the city centre from the town centre, pretty much one straight road. I think it is one of the best areas for getting into and out of the city centre, whether by car or bus

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

Dave147 wrote: »
    Good shout, although a lad I went to school with who's an optom has opened an opticians in Glanmire, there was already an optician there and he took it over AFAIK. There definitely isn't room for 2 opticians in Glanmire.

Oh right, I didn't read through everything so didn't know it was an optician opening. In which case you are right. There wouldn't be room for another optician in Glanmire.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭SeanSouth

OK here's my affluence survey I looked at all the houses for sale on daft for particular ares of Cork and then calculated what % of the houses for sale were priced > €500,000

Monkstown - 50%
    Ballintemple - 50%
    Glounthaune - 43%
    Douglas - 22%
    Glanmire - 20%
    Model Farm Road - 33%
    Blackrock - 20%
    Ballincollig - 8%
    Carrigaline - 8%
    Sundays Well - 25%
    Kinsale - 50%
    Montenottee - 18%
    Midleton - 5%
    Bishopstown - 17%

When you consider that succcessive irish surveys have found that a large % of Irish families wealth is tied up in their homes, I believe this summary to be broadly accurate. 50% of Douglas homes are priced less than €350,000. 66% of Ballincollig homes are priced less than €350,000
    29% of Blackrock homes are priced less than €350,000

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭D Hayes

Just thinking, isn't Fiona Leahy's in douglas a posh optician?

Came here to say that. Next to KCs and all ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭BeansBeans

SeanSouth wrote: »
    OK here's my affluence survey I looked at all the houses for sale on daft for particular ares of Cork and then calculated what % of the houses for sale were priced > 500,000

Monkstown - 50%
    Ballintemple - 50%
    Glounthaune - 44%
    Douglas - 20%
    Model Farm Road - 33%
    Blackrock - 20%
    Ballincollig - 8%
    Carrigaline - 8%
    Sundays Well - 25%
    Kinsale - 50%
    Montenottee - 18%
    Midleton - 5%

When you consider that succcessive irish surveys have found that a large % of Irish families wealth is tied up in their homes, I believe this summary to be broadly accurate. 50% of Douglas homes are less than €350,000.

You forgot ballinlough.
    Although of the few houses most are 350 - 450

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

DylanGLC wrote: »
    I disagree. The 206, 207, 216, 219, 220 and 223 all go through Douglas. There are many ways to get onto and off the South Link Road (whether it be in Rochestown, the centre of Douglas or Maryborough), and it is very close to the city centre from the town centre, pretty much one straight road. I think it is one of the best areas for getting into and out of the city centre, whether by car or bus

That is kinda what I mean. you can get from douglas to town. The end.

How do you get from mahon to douglas. Or ballinlough to douglas etc.
    The way transport is set up here, the only place we can all get to is the city center.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

The way transport is set up here, the only place we can all get to is the city center.
    219?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

TheChizler wrote: »
    219?

The 219 is only once an hour - my kids tried to use it to get home from Douglas after school - school finishes at 3.30 and the bus leaves Douglas at 3.32!!!
    So....not great

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭DylanGLC

Oh well I do agree with that (Mahon Point), but I feel that is just awkward to get to bus as it is. I guess you would either have to drive or else get the bus to the Grand Parade, and then another bus to Mahon. Still, unless you worked in Mahon/go to school there (or vice versa), the inconvenience (as someone who lives in the Douglas area) isn't huge. For shopping, most if not all stores bar Zara also have stores downtown

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

The 219 is only once an hour - my kids tried to use it to get home from Douglas after school - school finishes at 3.30 and the bus leaves Douglas at 3.32!!!
    So....not great

Not great for you maybe but does suit others...cant suit everyone all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

Ludo wrote: »
    Not great for you maybe but does suit others...cant suit everyone all the time.

Absolutely.... completely agree. I wasn't suggesting that it was only me - it's just that there are a huge amount of kids that would use the service if it left 10 minutes later- it would get a lot of cars off the road at that time.
    Also, was just pointing out that the 219 is an hourly service....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭limnam

Ballincollig shopping center maybe?

Is Ballincollig considered an "Affluent" area?

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭christy02

Passage West is your only man ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭theboringfox

BeansBeans wrote: »
    You forgot ballinlough.
    Although of the few houses most are 350 - 450

Ya Ballinlough has very little in line of expensive 500k+ housing. Its all 3 bed semi Ds nearly so I think they'd have very high concentration in that 300k to 400k mark. Mainly residential and just a middle ground between city and douglas. Nice though.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Usir

Ballincollig is booming, house prices reflect this. Lots of new money swishing around.

Usir wrote: »
    Ballincollig is booming, house prices reflect this. Lots of new money swishing around.

The only booming around Ballincollig tends to come out of nissan micra's

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

limnam wrote: »
    The only booming around Ballincollig tends to come out of nissan micra's

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭SouthernBelle

Usir wrote: »

I thought of this thread last night. Went to Tradehouse for dinner with a few friends. The place was packed full of diners - and not ordering the €10 special either. Full meals accompanied by alcohol. I wouldn't be so surprised if it was the weekend, not a Tuesday.

• Advertisement

I thought of this thread last night. Went to Tradehouse for dinner with a few friends. The place was packed full of diners - and not ordering the €10 special either. Full meals accompanied by alcohol. I wouldn't be so surprised if it was the weekend, not a Tuesday.

VMware/EMC/Dell/RSA

Bring a lot of traffic in there mid week with business travelers/Meetings/Team nights out etc

I was in it tonight not a sinner.

Saying that, they do nice grub.

Advertisement