Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running shoes fitting dublin

• 10-10-2017 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭

Hi. Am looking for a place that'll do a proper analysis and fitting for me for a pair of runners in Dublin city.

I got this done in Cork a few years back but have recently run into problems with a toenail going black with my old runners. Assume that they just need replacing.

Any recommendations most welcome and appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭coffeepls

‘Running and Gait analysis’ at Elvery’s - I know of it, not about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ooter

Not Dublin city but the run hub in ashtown is very good, knowledgeable lads in there and they'll take as long as is needed to sort you with the correct pair of shoes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

I would second the run hub, but personally I'd be a bit sceptical about the whole gait analysis thing......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

Tombo2001 wrote:
    I would second the run hub, but personally I'd be a bit sceptical about the whole gait analysis thing......

I never used to have a problem with black nails etc until recently. The only thing I can think of is my runners are over 3 years old now. Don't know what else it could be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Amphibian King in Ballymount are fantastic, really helpful and know their stuff. They don't try to push anything on you either (in my experience anyway). If you need city centre there's run logic in temple bar, I've never tried them for gait analysis but have heard good reports about the place in general.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Pepp1989 wrote: »
    I never used to have a problem with black nails etc until recently. The only thing I can think of is my runners are over 3 years old now. Don't know what else it could be.

Why dont u just get a new pair of the same runners

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,902 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Tombo2001 wrote: »

+1 It's a gimmick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

The important thing is not whether or not they put you on a treadmill/bit of track and record you running. It's whether they have the knowledge to identify any problems from that recording - or from just looking at your feet, looking at your old shoes, and asking about your injury history.

If you're asking about Dublin city centre, there's Run Logic in Temple Bar. I haven't been in there myself, but I understand the staff know their stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Amphibian King in Bray for me (as handy from town as some of the others maybe?). I went armed with the knowledge of what my physio had told me (which I didn't say in the fitting), and they essentially said the same thing! Physio had given me recommended drop and was matched. I wasn't pushed to the more expensive options either.

I'd done the sports shop gait "analysis" but while they had sold me a neutral runner that the more professional options recommended, they had still sold me one that had some element of support when both AK and physio later diagnosed I needed a runner with zero support.

What's the other option for the skeptic's? Is it just buy any runner you like the feel of, or is it address the biomechanical issues that may be the cause of issues, if you have an issue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Macy0161 wrote: »
    What's the other option for the skeptic's?
    Wear comfortable neutral shoes that fit well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

Wait. Black toenails is a problem that needs fixing?
    I always took it as a minor irritation, not a reason to overhaul, what sounds like from the OP, a decent but worn out model of shoe

Wait. Black toenails is a problem that needs fixing? I always took it as a minor irritation, not a reason to overhaul, what sounds like from the OP, a decent but worn out model of shoe

Well I only started having the problem for the last 3 months despite running 5k for the last few years. It's one toenail. I've already lost one and the new one is turning black. So I just automatically thought it was the shoes!

Wear comfortable neutral shoes that fit well.
    Maybe for most, but that's what I was doing, and having constant IT Band/ Ankle tendon/ outside of knee problems due to my supination. The fitted and absolutely zero support, cushioned, nuetral runners recommended by AK to promote pronation, I haven't had the same issues.

Whilst I have kept on working on the underlying issues based on physio advice, from pretty much first run in them I could notice a difference. It obviously doesn't address the underlying biomechanical issues though.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

I got this done in Cork a few years back but have recently run into problems with a toenail going black with my old runners. 
    After losing 2 toenails I go a size bigger for my runners giving more room in the toe box, when going longer distances it allows for swelling. I remember hearing somewhere that the gap between the toe and front of runner should be your thumb width - not sure if that is old wives tale or not but works for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ooter

I used to get black toenails a lot but back then I was wearing UK 7 shoes, always just assumed I was a 7, eventually ended up developing a neuroma in my left foot, not nice at all.
    Started looking for wide fitting running shoes and found myself in a camping/hiking shop one day and the girl asked me had I ever had my feet measured properly, I hadn't, not since I was a kid with my mother.
    Anyway it turns out I should be wearing UK 8.5 shoes which took me a while to get my head around but ever since I don't get black toenails.
    The advice I was given was to take the insole out of any running shoe you're thinking of buying and place it on the ground, line the back of your heel with the end of the insole and there should be a gap the width of your first and second fingers between the top of your toes and the top of the insole. Also you should be able to see the outline of the insole the whole way around your foot, if not the shoes are not wide enough for you.

ooter wrote:
    I used to get black toenails a lot but back then I was wearing UK 7 shoes, always just assumed I was a 7, eventually ended up developing a neuroma in my left foot, not nice at all. Started looking for wide fitting running shoes and found myself in a camping/hiking shop one day and the girl asked me had I ever had my feet measured properly, I hadn't, not since I was a kid with my mother. Anyway it turns out I should be wearing UK 8.5 shoes which took me a while to get my head around but ever since I don't get black toenails. The advice I was given was to take the insole out of any running shoe you're thinking of buying and place it on the ground, line the back of your heel with the end of the insole and there should be a gap the width of your first and second fingers between the top of your toes and the top of the insole. Also you should be able to see the outline of the insole the whole way around your foot, if not the shoes are not wide enough for you.

Thanks for this! Very helpful

And I was told (not by AK) that black toenails were sign of runners being too big and the feet sliding forward on downhills....

Macy0161 wrote:
    And I was told (not by AK) that black toenails were sign of runners being too big and the feet sliding forward on downhills....

Hmmm. I think I'll just have to bring in my current runners to professionals and see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I had a couple of toenails turn black one year. They got better eventually, didn't fall off. Usually doesn't happen. So I don't think its inevitable (unless maybe for people doing very high mileage)

Hmmm. I think I'll just have to bring in my current runners to professionals and see.
    Both could be true to be fair, just different scenarios. That's why I'd recommend going somewhere.

For example, I've seen threads on here when people have posted looking for runner recommendations based on having ankle issues, and they seem invariably pointed towards stability runners/ insoles. That's fine if the cause is over-pronation, but if they were supinators like myself that was the worst thing route they could go!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

Couldn't you just replace the shoes you have with the current version?

I've been through a few brands over the years but the last 5 or 6 years in one brand and one model that seem to work well for me. I get black toenails but I've always put that down to high mileage

I paid for gait analysis a few years ago and although the process was in no way pushy I bought the recommended shoes and had lots of problems with them injury wise. I don't think gait analysis is total hokum but might not be for everyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

My pet hate is shoe companies constantly updating their shoes.

The current version of my fav model is ****e. Need to stock up on last year's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Collected my latest pair from the post today, won't actually need to take them out of the box until the end of next year so by then they they'll be a model that's over two years old.

Advertisement