Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tax increases on cigarettes - are shopkeepers making a fortune?

• 11-10-2017 12:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

It has become a virtual certainty that the duty on tobacco products is substantially increased in every budget. It is a no-brainer that if you are a seller of tobacco products, you would massively stock up before the budget and make a huge windfall profit afterwards by selling at the new price immediately after the budget on stock that you bought at the old price.
    I was just wondering if this would be regarded as unacceptable profiteering or just a normal perk of the business.
    I used to work part time in a pub and I noticed that stocks would be built up before a budget in anticipation of an increase in duty, (although the increase did not always happen).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I used to work in a shop that continued to sell them at the old price until stocks had run out. I'm not sure how legal that was, but it went down well with the customers. Most of whom have probably since died from cancer or emphysema.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

This and any usual increase on tobacco or alcohol should and would only increase profits for the Government, not any private entity, once the increase comes into effect, right? Buying in bulk beforehand wouldn't make a difference, surely?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

The Increases fall nicely for those selling on the black market

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Nash Freezing Visitor

about 80percent I think is tax - ciggerattes are worthless to retailers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

about 80percent I think is tax - ciggerattes are worthless to retailers

Why would any retailer sell any product if it's worthless to them. It's worth a great deal if they can pocket the tax increase that they didn't pay when they bought the product.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Roger_007 wrote: »
    Why would any retailer sell any product if it's worthless to them.

Because it gets people into the shop where some will buy other stuff with higher margins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

Why would any retailer sell any product if it's worthless to them. It's worth a great deal if they can pocket the tax increase that they didn't pay when they bought the product.

I used to work in a wholesale,they used to stock them because people wanted them too,in reality they made feck all off them,it was just a case of having them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Every shop nearly has products similar to this!

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭howyanow

Cigarettes and Tobacco don't give a good profit margin for retailers so some retailers would look at it as an opportunity to boost margin briefly.other side of it is that cigarettes and Tobacco is expensive stock and a theft risk so some retailers may only slightly increase pre budget order.cigarette lighters is where the retailer will make decent margin

entropi wrote: »
    This and any usual increase on tobacco or alcohol should and would only increase profits for the Government, not any private entity, once the increase comes into effect, right? Buying in bulk beforehand wouldn't make a difference, surely?

No the retailer has an opportunity to benefit as they pay tax on their purchases not on what they sell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

The Increases fall nicely for those selling on the black market

It sure does. The lads on Moore St usually knock the price of a pouch of snout up in line with the budget though. Win win situation for everyone bar the smokers as usual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

For smokers it's much better value now to avoid short breaks in Ireland, pop over to Spain/Holland/Portugal for a weekend. Stock up on smokes, nicer surroundings and better value for accommodation/food etc. Every carton of 200 is a saving of ~€50.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

It is very expensive to insure cigarettes and tobacco, doubt it makes retailers any real money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I worked in an off licence years ago and we done a stock take once a month. I was told not to bother with the cigarettes when doing the stock take as they made so little on them it wasn’t worth the time or effort. I think there’s only a few % profit on them for the retailer, about 20% for the manufacturer and the rest is excise/tax.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

RayM wrote: »
    I used to work in a shop that continued to sell them at the old price until stocks had run out. I'm not sure how legal that was, but it went down well with the customers. Most of whom have probably since died from cancer or emphysema.

Actually that is what shops are supposed to do, clear the existing stock at the norla price and any newer stock is at the higher price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

They still plenty of stuff that doesnt make them money but stock them anyway because people will buy that along with other things.

Same a shops selling lottery tickets. They dont earn much from it but it brings people into the shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

I worked in an off licence years ago and we done a stock take once a month. I was told not to bother with the cigarettes when doing the stock take as they made so little on them it wasn’t worth the time or effort. I think there’s only a few % profit on them for the retailer, about 20% for the manufacturer and the rest is excise/tax.

That's odd where I worked they where in a cage with high value alcohol. Counted weekly!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 233 ✭✭Hooks Golf Handicap

All the whinging that old Mary makes a few extra quid on smokes.
    Meanwhile that tube of Pringles that was €2 last week has gone back up to €3.25 & nobody is out side with their pitchforks.
    Usual Irish begrudgery, nothing more.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

All the whinging that old Mary makes a few extra quid on smokes.
    Meanwhile that tube of Pringles that was €2 last week has gone back up to €3.25 & nobody is out side with their pitchforks.
    Usual Irish begrudgery, nothing more.

Dont get me started on the pringles man, the supposed reason for the price hike is they were 190g now are 200g yet the packets are the same size and weight as before so they are blatantly robbing us :(

They should have counted the cigarettes weekly as they are high value goods and easy to steal.if one box went missing it could take selling 20 boxes to make up for the loss if one.margin is about 5per cent on them afaik

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

howyanow wrote: »
    They should have counted the cigarettes weekly as they are high value goods and easy to steal.if one box went missing it could take selling 20 boxes to make up for the loss if one.margin is about 5per cent on them afaik

Good point.
    However does the retailer buy from the supplier with the full tax included or is it the retailers responsibility to add on the tax + margin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Retailer buys at wholesale price which includes duty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,778 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

My local garage tried to buy their usual stock two weeks ago but their supplier refused to sell to them until after the budget. By yesterday they had only a few random packs lying around.
    Looks like it was the wholesaler who was making the killing in that case.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭etselbbuns

Tesco have reduced JP Blue from €10.10 to €10.00 and Cutters Choice 30G from €15.95 to €15.00
    Why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭McCrack

Horrible things, government should have put a 5er on a packet.

Price is a huge motivator to make people stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

McCrack wrote: »

Is it? Try telling that to a smoker. It has nothing to do with price anda lot to do with addiction and perceived stress.

Is it? Try telling that to a smoker. It has nothing to do with price anda lot to do with addiction and perceived stress.

Im talking about motivation to stop and price is a huge motivator, not the only one of course but a big one nonetheless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Naive opinion .......... every time the price of cigarettes go up results in more smokers turning to the Black Market, ie. further funding Organised Crime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

A €12 pack of cigs is made up of

Vat €2.24
    Duty €6.88
    Total Tax €9.12

Retail margin usually about 60c-80c
    Manufacture's price ex duty is less than €2 - and about 20% of that is marketing, so the cheaper brands and those made in places like China where quality tobacco leaf is not a real concern, can be manufactured for about €1 per pack 20.

As for shops stocking up to make an extra 50c per pack? - Far far easier ways to make 50c than stock up on a product with a tiny margin and the security issues surrounding it.

• Advertisement

CeilingFly wrote: »
    A €12 pack of cigs is made up of
    Vat €2.24
    Duty €6.88
    Total Tax €9.12
    My post above points out that Tesco have reduced JP Blue 20s by 1% to €10.
    But why would they do that for something that addicts will buy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

smokers always buy sweet stuff

MadDog76 wrote: »
    Naive opinion .......... every time the price of cigarettes go up results in more smokers turning to the Black Market, ie. further funding Organised Crime.

Yes, and many more will stop completely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

It is very expensive to insure cigarettes and tobacco, doubt it makes retailers any real money

Correct. Coffee machines on the other hand are a gold mine, according to the owner of my local Maxol station.

I can't believe cigarettes are €12 a pack. How on earth do part-timers or students afford to smoke? Never mind smoking and going out drinking.

I've no idea of the evidence but I assume the price hikes are shown to put people off taking it up in the first place.

30 grams of rolling tobacco gone up to 16 fookin euro :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Yes, and many more will stop completely

You really are naive when it comes to smoking/smokers ........... nobody bases their decision to continue smoking (or to stop smoking) on the price of cigarettes! :D

30 grams of rolling tobacco gone up to 16 fookin euro :mad:
    €14.50, caller

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    For smokers it's much better value now to avoid short breaks in Ireland, pop over to Spain/Holland/Portugal for a weekend. Stock up on smokes, nicer surroundings and better value for accommodation/food etc. Every carton of 200 is a saving of ~€50.

Bizzare logic.

Foreign smokers will just bring their cigarettes with them.
    Ireland actually is a nice place you know.

etselbbuns wrote: »
    €14.50, caller

Amber leaf is gone up to 16

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭bilbot79

It's perfectly fine behaviour and not unscrupulous in any manner. The shopkeeper has taken a risk by investing in the old price cigs and is entitled to profit for that.

There is always the chance of them not being hiked and he would have no extra profit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 148 ✭✭aoh

It's the importer/manufacturer who pays the excise. Any retailer who increases the price the next day is just ripping off the customer. Bought 200 yesterday at pre-budget price. One honest and knowledgable company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

entropi wrote: »

It does. Yes. You buy the goods at the pre tax increase price. And sell them at the new price immediately. Shops and pubs make a lot of money on it.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

You really are naive when it comes to smoking/smokers ........... nobody bases their decision to continue smoking (or to stop smoking) on the price of cigarettes! :D

Nobody?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

murpho999 wrote: »
    Bizzare logic.

I wonder what the duty free will be like post brexit. Theoretically you could book the cheapest flight to any UK destination and stock up on smokes each time. It would probably be worth the time investment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭Gmaximum

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I wonder what the duty free will be like post brexit. Theoretically you could book the cheapest flight to any UK destination and stock up on smokes each time. It would probably be worth the time investment.

Quicker to cheaper to cross the boarder

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Gmaximum wrote: »
    Quicker to cheaper to cross the boarder

Depends where you live and I'm not sure if facilities will be available at a land border.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

murpho999 wrote: »
    Bizzare logic.

He's talking about Irish smokers.
    The suggestion is not to take weekend breaks in Ireland, but jet off to Spain, etc on a cheap Ryanair flight. Once there, pop into a supermarket and buy as many smokes as will fit into your luggage and fly back again.
    The argument is, cheap smokes, nice break in a nice country with nice food, win win all round. Except for the Irish hospitality industry that will lose a lot of domestic business.
    It's what I used to do. Fly over to Germany, pop into Aldi and buy 20 to 40 pouches of rolling tobacco. Costs about €4 now for a pouch. If you are a moderate smoker and smoke one pack a week, your annual costs for smoking are around €200!
    And the Irish exchequer doesn't get a single cent, which for me was the best part. And you get proper smokes, not that Chinese crap.

edit:
    Not saying Ireland isn't a nice place. It is nice.
    40g of halfzware rolling tobacco in Aldi costs €4.55.
    http://www.discounter-preisvergleich.de/ALDI-Sued-Preisliste-Tabakwaren/#Tabakwaren

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Using moving averages, overall smoking prevalence has
    declined from 28.28% in June 2003 to 19.53% in December
    2014 (21.55% males and 17.59% for females).

T

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Sorry for the state of the above post, but the site where I copied it from caused havoc with the fonts etc.

It show's the reduction in the prevalence of smoking in Ireland. It's not as if everybody suddenly coped on to the health benefits of not smoking. These were all known in 2003. Cost is most certainly a factor. I'd say we all know someone that quit where cost was a factor/motivator.

Sorry for the state of the above post, but the site where I copied it from caused havoc with the fonts etc.

It show's the reduction in the prevalence of smoking in Ireland. It's not as if everybody suddenly coped on to the health benefits of not smoking. These were all known in 2003. Cost is most certainly a factor. I'd say we all know someone that quit where cost was a factor/motivator.

Dont be so naive!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement