Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oil Heating New Build

• 11-10-2017 1:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭

Hi folks,

So I'm in my new build shout 3 months and have a solid fuel stove, oil heating and a heat recovery system.

As the evenings after notes being cooler I'm noticing a temp drop inside the house... So I find I'm putting the oil on more and more but the house still is not hot (air feels cool still)

I'm starting to think I may need to leave the oil on 24x7 and set my room stats to 21 degrees and then as it needs the oil will come on?

Or is their a better timed schedule I could follow?

Am very interested to hear how others do it please

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

How long are you in it? Have you underfloor heating?

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Obsolete01

Wearb wrote: »
    How long are you in it? Have you underfloor heating?

Over 4 months and no have rads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

Are you using the stove in addition to the oil? If so, is the room stat in the same room? Very common to have the room stat and the stove in the living room for example so that when the stove is lit the room is warm and the stat is satisfied so keeps the boiler off. If this is the case the room stat should be moved to another room.

It would be expensive and wasteful to maintain the entire house at 21 degrees 24/7. If you have programmable room stats you can vary the temperature automatically during the day to suit occupancy needs. For example in living rooms set 22 degrees in the morning when people are getting up, drop to 16 during the day if nobody home increase to 21 or 22 during the evening and drop back to 12 at night at night.

If you have a zoned system, you can have a separate schedule for bedrooms, which you might want to maintain at 17 to 18 overnight for example.

Obsolete01 wrote: »
    Over 4 months and no have rads

Modern builds are usually very easy to heat. What is your BER? How is your airthightness?

It might be worth your while doing what you suggested and getting the house up to temperature. It might then be easy (not too expensive) to maintain it.

Is each room zoned? What is the construction of inside wall surfaces?

Also note Pete’s post above.

BER is A3 and air tightness came in at 1.15 which is pretty good
    The house is broken up in to two zones A (living & hallway) & B (bedrooms).
    The room stat in the living area is nowhere near the stove also .. I am just curious how other people are doing it really as I think having it on 24x7 really is overkill (especially when the house is vacant during the day)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

How hot do the rads get??

They get hot in fairness, but I do not have them at 5 .. they are all set at 4 .. I was told not to have them at 5 because they would be constantly calling for hot water the.

Obsolete01 wrote: »
    They get hot in fairness, but I do not have them at 5 .. they are all set at 4 .. I was told not to have them at 5 because they would be constantly calling for hot water the.

Did installer tell you that rad valves and room stats are incompatible in the same room, that could include 2 rooms if there is good air transfer between them such as an open door. Turn your trv in the living area up to its highest and control that area with the room stat for 3/4 days to see how you get on.

Advertisement