Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to nap

Options
  • 11-10-2017 1:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I know this sounds like a silly question but yeah. I feel bad when I want to take naps (not that I have yet, but i end up going on my phone to stay awake) in the library because i feel like im disrupting the productive atmosphere. So I dont live on campus, have some long breaks and get sleepy. Where can I take naps in college?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

I know this sounds like a silly question but yeah. I feel bad when I want to take naps (not that I have yet, but i end up going on my phone to stay awake) in the library because i feel like im disrupting the productive atmosphere. So I dont live on campus, have some long breaks and get sleepy. Where can I take naps in college?

Totally the library. The little cubicle ones where people can only see you from behind.

Sofas on top floor of library building (not in the actual library) might be doable, but don't count on it. Corner sofas upstairs in arts block more likely (they are randomly dotted around the place, but might take a while to find, it's a warren up there).

Back of an empty lecture theatre - particularly health science which are dark when not in use.

No great options, all of them uncomfortable, and always at risk of being disturbed/ having things stolen. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Aul one who just finished her master's here: why doesn't UCD allow for safe spaces where people may take naps? Lots of people juggle study with work and/or commuting. I imagine many students who don't live on campus are going around in a semi-zombie state that's seriously compromising their ability to function. And life isn't supposed to be a survival course, why shd university be?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭nikkibikki

Aul one who just finished her master's here: why doesn't UCD allow for safe spaces where people may take naps? Lots of people juggle study with work and/or commuting. I imagine many students who don't live on campus are going around in a semi-zombie state that's seriously compromising their ability to function. And life isn't supposed to be a survival course, why shd university be?

Coz they'd probably have horny students leaving funny stains all over the furniture! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

Because the university is a bit of a meat grinder, where if you aren't in a lecture or lab you aren't particularly welcome on campus. At least if you are hanging around on campus the prevailing mood among admin, I imagine, is that you should at least be spending money in one of the campus eateries. God forbid you try and sit outside the library.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭ShatterResistant

Second level inside the main new science building, there's couches along the balcony, though they are outside offices, that I've kipped on a few times. Also, the slouchy couch downstairs in the global lounge, below the restaurant. There's a conference room on the top level of Sutherland at the very end of the staff corridor which is almost never in use that I've 'accidentally' fell asleep on my books in - more risky of course. Slept in one of the society offices under a desk one night come to think of it lols.

Also, side note, J309 in Newman is a quiet individual listening room as part of the music school that I've gone to escape people - wouldn't recommend for napping as you could be told off proper for it here. Lovely view and vibe though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement