Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hey Leo? Why do I bother getting up in the morning?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

ionapaul wrote: »
    Do people think that this budget will lower support for FG if an election occurs next year? I wouldn't be so sure, it seems most of the people most outraged would never vote for them full stop, so nothing changes there. I agree with everyone who points out that the €5 extra per week folk probably weren't ever going to vote for them either, am guessing that a measure forced through by FF who'll take credit at election time in order to cut the legs out from under the 'won't pay for anything' crowd and SF.
    I think this might stop people voting. If you're sick of being bent Over as a taxpayer. Where do you go? Weren't fg supposed to be the actual workers party? I'll give Renua my vote. Won't even give fg a second preference ...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Idbatterim wrote: »
    I think this might stop people voting. If you're sick of being bent Over as a taxpayer. Where do you go? Weren't fg supposed to be the actual workers party? I'll give Renua my vote. Won't even give fg a second preference ...

Do Renua even exist anymore?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

It's typical though.

People whinge and moan about homelessness, poverty blah blah whatever other myth they swallow.

But once the money has to come from their taxes they go ape ****.

Ah there you go again Wheelie. Homelessness and poverty exist but you already know that ;)

Loving your posts on this thread pal. :p

FG have made a massive boo boo with this budget. A lot of people in here are talking about it this morning and the fact dolers have got 5 euro a week and an Xmas bonus and most here have gotten a euro a week.

Varadkar's department of PR is going to have to put in the extra miles to spin this a lot of people who voted FG last time out are miffed and a little pissed off :mad:

I have no problem supporting my family.

It's supporting everyone else's because they can't be arsed is where I draw the line.

Remember what FG have done yesterday when the next election rolls around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

BillyBobBS wrote: »

Depends when the next election is, likely stops me voting for them (or possibly voting at all)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

I have no problem supporting my family.

It's supporting everyone else's because they can't be arsed is where I draw the line.

I certainly will be!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

seamus wrote: »
    Oh I'd be squeezed middle alright.

You measure how well you are doing/have done by your personal circumstances, not by what others have gotten.

You could give someone on social welfare an extra €1,000 a year and they will probably still be a worse situation than someone in the squeezed middle.

As usual, the conversation is dominated by people fighting over the tiny scraps being thrown down the table rather than looking at how much extra food was piled onto the plates at the top of the table.

Contradiction.

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Depends when the next election is, likely stops me voting for them (or possibly voting at all)

At this moment in time that's the problem isn't it. There isn't a party worth voting for. FG/SF/FF/Labour/loonie left?? :confused: It's depressing looking at those options.

When oh when are we going to get a political movement that looks to the interests of the vast working and middle classes who are the engine and oil of our society. There is a huge gap there and nobody to fill it. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭screamer

At this moment in time that's the problem isn't it. There isn't a party worth voting for. FG/SF/FF/Labour/loonie left?? :confused: It's depressing looking at those options.

When oh when are we going to get a political movement that looks to the interests of the vast working and middle classes who are the engine and oil of our society. There is a huge gap there and nobody to fill it. :(

When Irish society stops sitting on the fence and becomes decisive and courageous...which is not in our makeup.....so will not happen. So, never is the answer. Long rule the sheeple and their shepherds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭fg1406

I just did the Journals budget calculator to see how better off I'll be. Less than €2 per week. I despair. To be honest I would prefer if there were no increases in welfare or tax cuts and if the government sorted out the issues in housing and health.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Ah there you go again Wheelie. Homelessness and poverty exist but you already know that ;)

Loving your posts on this thread pal. :p

Ah there you are.

You disappeared after been caught out spoofing and been a hypocrite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

FG the workers party. Thats a new one after all the shenanigans over the last few years. Big business and corporate interests are their priority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

fg1406 wrote: »
    I just did the Journals budget calculator to see how better off I'll be. Less than €2 per week. I despair. To be honest I would prefer if there were no increases in welfare or tax cuts and if the government sorted out the issues in housing and health.

I am up 63 Euro for the year. 63 ****ing euros. So much for help for the people who get up early.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Ah there you are.

So is poverty and homelessness a myth then?

Disturbingly out of touch....but I guess that's one way to avoid any problems in life. ...pretend they don't exist :)

Terrible way to run a country,mind

Ah there you are.

I have asked you already to point out where i was "caught spoofing" and you have been unable.

Don't ever change Wheelie :D

Disturbingly out of touch....but I guess that's one way to avoid any problems in life. ...pretend they don't exist :)

Yes they most certainly are.

Poverty? Stop would you.

If you are out of a job you are looked after better than a working person.

It's not the goverments fault parents spend their money on drink smokes gambling drugs then have a whinge about child poverty or whatever nonsense the likes of yourself will listen too.

Personal responsibility.

Wheelie presumes the homeless dying on the streets aren't real, they just doing it for the lol's :eek:

It's a huge bubble in fairness to him.

I have asked you already to point out where i was "caught spoofing" and you have been unable.

Don't ever change Wheelie :D

Two quotes from BillyBobBS.

"Great attitude and the way to view it. It's a small percentage of people who scam the welfare most are decent people who just want a decent paying job.

I laugh at the usual suspects on here getting their knickers in a twist over some lazy fecker who drinks Dutch Gold and has a crap life "

"It is simply sickening to see the likes of myself better off by 1 euro a week whilst those on welfare are seeing 5 times that and an Xmas bonus for doing the grand total of dick"

Are you actually telling me these don't contradict eachother?

You actually say you laugh at the usual suspects getting their knickers in a twist over people on the dole.

Then you rant saying it's sickening looking at people on the dole getting money for doing a grand total of dick.

You are a hypocrite, no 2 ways about it.

Now there you go for the second time I have shown it.

It's been liked and people who normally disagree with my point have even agreed with it.

What more do you need?

Can someone confirm or correct me ? If you are a carer you only get the 1200 quid allowance but nothing else ? Seems a little unfair.

Carers get an annual support grant of €1700 paid once a year. It can be used however they wish.

I gave up work earlier this year to look after my dad. He’d had a severe stroke and also has had a tracheotomy for many years before. This means he needs someone around 24 hours a day. The stroke means that sometimes he can get really angry and because of this, the nursing home attached to the rehab unit he was in were adamant they wouldn’t take him in. So, I was left with no alternative but to leave my job.

I took carers benefit of €210 per week (based on my stamps) as allowance (€215?) is means tested and I’d definitely get less once my husbands income is taken into account. Benefit lasts for 2 years. It took nearly 5 months to get it paid and as nice as it was to have a lump sum, it’s ridiculous that they make people, who more than likely can’t leave the house to see the social welfare officer.

Sorry, I think I’ve just gone off on s tangent and forgotten the question!

• Advertisement

Two quotes from BillyBobBS.

"Great attitude and the way to view it. It's a small percentage of people who scam the welfare most are decent people who just want a decent paying job.

I laugh at the usual suspects on here getting their knickers in a twist over some lazy fecker who drinks Dutch Gold and has a crap life "

"It is simply sickening to see the likes of myself better off by 1 euro a week whilst those on welfare are seeing 5 times that and an Xmas bonus for doing the grand total of dick"

Are you actually telling me these don't contradict eachother?

You actually say you laugh at the usual suspects getting their knickers in a twist over people on the dole.

Then you rant saying it's sickening looking at people on the dole getting money for doing a grand total of dick.

You are a hypocrite, no 2 ways about it.

Now there you go for the second time I have shown it.

It's been liked and people who normally disagree with my point have even agreed with it.

What more do you need?

Oh no's someone liked it :eek: That's it then you must be correct.

I once liked a pair of flares i had in the 1980's Wheelie :p

Wheelie presumes the homeless dying on the streets aren't real, they just doing it for the lol's :eek:

It's a huge bubble in fairness to him.

No I think someone like Johnathan corrie who sold 2 houses his family bought him and refused accomodation the night he died is just beyond help and it's most definitely not the goverments fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

fg1406 wrote: »

Same here. The govt would have been better providing free school books for all primary kids, or pumping it into dental care for the population, plenty of projects available that could have had a real impact on people.
    Just over €200 pa. Wont even pay for the bins when they're increased.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

eviltwin wrote: »
    Been there already. My youngest has special needs and I didn't work for three years to care for him. We didn't qualify for carers allowance so took a huge hit. But I have a duty of care to my children so I was happy to do it.

Sorry to hear of your child's needs.

Did either you or the other parent not qualify for Carer's Benefit, you know the benefit that is tagged to your PRSI contributions. No means test for that and you get up to two years each for each of the parents.

I know this because a family member and her husband used it for their daughter who has SN. Was 4 years between the two of them, and now the little lady is at school, and they are back at work.

Just mentioning it as you may be able to claim it in future if you need it. Remember there is no means test, it is based on your PRSI contributions. Carer's Leave has to be given by the employer in tandem.

I realise that there may be factors affecting your non qualification, I hope I don't come across as nosey or arrogant.

Oh no's someone liked it :eek: That's it then you must be correct.

I once liked a pair of flares i had in the 1980's Wheelie :p

Well I haven't seen anyone say it's wrong, you didn't contradict yourself.

All you have done is insult me about intelligence, said never change and spouted some ****e about flares.

Can you explain you're two different posts and why they totally contradict eachother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭storker

I'd agree that the squeezing of the middle has been left unaddressed, but unlike the OP I can still see the point of getting up in the morning:
    • I have more disposable income
    • I have a good credit rating
    • I own my own home
    • I'm more likely to find a better, higher-paying position from the one I have
    A couple of years ago, when I was made redundant, I looked at the unemployment benefit rates and my redundancy payment to get an idea how long I could be choosy about my next job. I didn't like what I saw. Having a job is much better.

Carers get an annual support grant of €1700 paid once a year. It can be used however they wish.

I gave up work earlier this year to look after my dad. He’d had a severe stroke and also has had a tracheotomy for many years before. This means he needs someone around 24 hours a day. The stroke means that sometimes he can get really angry and because of this, the nursing home attached to the rehab unit he was in were adamant they wouldn’t take him in. So, I was left with no alternative but to leave my job.

I took carers benefit of €210 per week (based on my stamps) as allowance (€215?) is means tested and I’d definitely get less once my husbands income is taken into account. Benefit lasts for 2 years. It took nearly 5 months to get it paid and as nice as it was to have a lump sum, it’s ridiculous that they make people, who more than likely can’t leave the house to see the social welfare officer.

Sorry, I think I’ve just gone off on s tangent and forgotten the question!

Terrible situation and more power to you for taking on the role. It's the reason we all pay PAYE as so people like yourself can give people like your dad a better quality of life and not to line the pockets of long term dole wasters.

Unfortunately FG don't see it like that :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

A bit OT but how to find out what has gone up,from individual items like foods to utilities? Electricity went up 40% didn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Animals get weaned when they are old enough to feed themselves.
    You get up in the morning because you have been weaned and can look after yourself.

• Advertisement

Well I haven't seen anyone say it's wrong, you didn't contradict yourself.

All you have done is insult me about intelligence, said never change and spouted some ****e about flares.

Can you explain you're two different posts and why they totally contradict eachother.

Ah Wheelie you called me full of s h i t, not very nice in fairness :(

That's insulting to me on a personal level.

You hurt my feeling pal. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Rick Shaw wrote: »
    I'm fairly left of centre but I know this is a kick in the gonads to the working man and woman.

Why the fook should the people on the dole who don't have to worry about targets, quotas, competitors, courses, customers, lunches, not seeing the kids most of the week, setting the alarm clock, working bloody hard etc etc etc. Get the same (more in many cases) monthly amount for doing diddly squat?

I could see through it if the lads were pandering to vote grab, but I doubt they will see a return in their vote share from their investment.

Leo spoofed to the country with his get up early in the morning spiel.

Between this and the pandering to the Vintners with his "drink is too cheap here bolloxollogy, I'm hoping some people are starting to see through him.

To make matters worse, the people on welfare have way more kids than the squeezed middle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Yes they most certainly are.

Poverty? Stop would you.

If you are out of a job you are looked after better than a working person.

It's not the goverments fault parents spend their money on drink smokes gambling drugs then have a whinge about child poverty or whatever nonsense the likes of yourself will listen too.

Personal responsibility.

There's literally no talking to sense to someone who thinks poverty and homelessness don't exist in ireland

It's ture fg don't care about the poor :(

To make matters worse, the people on welfare have way more kids than the squeezed middle.

Or the working class :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16 BalHouseBuyer

I'd say he was because he was on Ireland AM at 7.35. And the poor man was still in the Dáil 'til midnight...

Was actually on the Vincent Browne show. He was up at 6:45.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

A fiver a week, surely that money would go further if the government hung on to it and did some investment in infrastructure or houses? Or maybe they could pay nurses more.

• Advertisement

There's literally no talking to sense to someone who thinks poverty and homelessness don't exist in ireland

Like i said some take him seriously, some don't. Anyone who thinks homelessness and poverty don't exist well...... let's just say leave them to it.

Think i'll take the advice iv'e just got and do just that.

Lux23 wrote: »
    A fiver a week, surely that money would go further if the government hung on to it and did some investment in infrastructure or houses? Or maybe they could pay nurses more.

There is literally loads of ways they could have used it. Yes in the overall picture it's not a massive amount but it's the optics of what FG are doing that is dismal.

Worker = F you

On the dole = We'll look after you.

Part of the very well off = We'll look after you.

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭kittensmittens

eviltwin wrote: »
    Been there already. My youngest has special needs and I didn't work for three years to care for him. We didn't qualify for carers allowance so took a huge hit. But I have a duty of care to my children so I was happy to do it.

But, with all due respect, you were able to return to work? The person I spoke of couldnt get childcare EVER for the child due to the severity of the disabillity.
    And also, you are a "We" meaning you have a partner to carry the financial burden. There was no "We" in my friends case. Sole parent.

Anyway, we digress as they want us to. Pitting person against person imo.
    We scrabble fro the crumbs from their table and its this mentality that keeps us where we are with relation to services, hospitals, schools, wages, working conditions etc.

Don't bother trying to then!

No skin off my nose.

I'm around these people everyday and I know full well when I see parents neglecting their kids in favour of their habit and people making themselves homeless to jump the list, or refuse accommodation based on ridiculous notions thus leaving themselves "homeless"

You won't change my mind on it and I won't change yours.

So we'll agree to disagree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I think this budget has FF writ large all over it. To keep SF quiet.

FG just delivered the speech.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

But, with all due respect, you were able to return to work? The person I spoke of couldnt get childcare EVER for the child due to the severity of the disabillity.
    And also, you are a "We" meaning you have a partner to carry the financial burden. There was no "We" in my friends case. Sole parent.

Anyway, we digress as they want us to. Pitting person against person imo.
    We scrabble fro the crumbs from their table and its this mentality that keeps us where we are with relation to services, hospitals, schools, wages, working conditions etc.

I don't begrudge them getting carers, I actually think the current allowance is far too low. The fact it is as low as it is is the reason I wouldn't expect anyone to give up a job to care for a parent. Fair play and the up most respect to anyone who does, I wouldn't.

I think this budget has FF writ large all over it. To keep SF quiet.

FG just delivered the speech.

Well if that's the case then FG are unfit for purpose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 993 ✭✭✭737max

Well if that's the case then FG are unfit for purpose.
    Thanks Enda. He gave a poisoned chalice to those who came after him in the same way Bertie shat over those who succeeded him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

myshirt wrote: »
    Ah come off it, that's the same boiler plate boohoo story trotted out all the time.

The reality is there is a lot of unearned wealth in this country that emerged from direct government intervention. Government intervention to benefit one section of society but to lump the next section with the bill.

If all your wealth was down to your own effort and self efficacy then a man in the back arse of Timbuktu could be a billionaire by sheer discipline and will alone.

The reality is much different. Fiscal policy choices affect people's lives.

As applies to Ireland, such is the extent of the government intervention that directly benefited one generation and burdened another, it is only right that that generation be taxed to redress the balance. Baby boomers and early gen'x'ers lived in a fantasy land that they could afford all this, and an illusion that it was all them and their own hard work. It wasn't. If you understand economics you get that.

Remember, there is no one taking the bread off your table here. It's unearned wealth that I am proposing be taxed so you don't pass that on to your kids but have all his peers pay the bill. No. Tax it, and ring fence it for those at socioeconomic disadvantage to redress inequality and allow those participating in our economy to compete on a level footing.

What the hell are you smoking Comrade?
    Unearned wealth? What you are talking about is theft, pure and simple.
    At this stage you are trolling, nothing else.
    You really are (reads username), oh it's you, well then it makes sense...

737max wrote: »
    Thanks Enda. He gave a poisoned chalice to those who came after him in the same way Bertie shat over those who succeeded him.

The buck stops with Varadkar. He made promises and broke them, already.

Not a man of his word just like the majority of politicians and this budget has exposed the electorate to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 993 ✭✭✭737max

The buck stops with Varadkar. He made promises and broke them, already.

Not a man of his word just like the majority of politicians and this budget has exposed the electorate to it.

No, you'd like the buck to stop with him because you are on a witch hunt and exploiting his predicament because he is politically driven to eat his own words.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭trixiebust

Another dole bashing thread ?!!

Just because someone is on state assistance, doesn't automatically qualify them as a lazy scrounger.

It would be the equivalent of me saying people who like a drink, have some sort of an issue with alcohol. But everyone's not the same, so it would be a silly & stupid argument. A lot like the generalisation that goes into every dole bashing thread.

Anyway back to bed I go, which is where I must be at this time of the day according to the majority of posters here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Someone's gotta pay for others life children home and medical expenses, they don't pay for themselves you know.

You hang on though and put off your own medical concerns because can you pay for their and your own? And you know they take priority, god forbid little shakira gets a cold and needs a trip to a and e for a grazed knee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,270 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Lux23 wrote: »

I thought that the pot of money they had available in 2018 includes a 1% increase in ALL public sector workers. Maybe from the Croke Park agreement?

Anyway the budget was no great surprise. If you are unlucky enough to earn between €40k and €70k in this country you are always going to be the one bearing the brunt of the pain.

I'm in a position now after I got a degree, went back to do a part time diploma while I was working, put my head down and kept my job and kept my mortgage payments during the recession and I just keep getting a kicking.

No mortgage interest relief - tick
    No write-down on mortgage - tick
    No Medical Card - tick
    No Grant for 3rd level education for your kids - tick
    No Family Income Supplement - tick
    No Back to School Allowance - tick

You have to earn €20k gross a year to put 1 child through college as it costs around €10k a year all in. They expect people on €50k a year gross to be able to find that €10k after they pay for everything else.

In this country they still expect people on modest salaries to pay for everything themselves while others, many who never bothered trying to better themselves, are entitled to help after help after help. And generally get that help. Thanks to the likes of me.

But hey, I'm used to it at this stage:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

trixiebust wrote: »
    Another dole bashing thread ?!!

Just because someone is on state assistance, doesn't automatically qualify them as a lazy scrounger.

It would be the equivalent of me saying people who like a drink, have some sort of an issue with alcohol.

Anyway back to bed I go, which is where I must be at this time of the day according to the majority of posters here.

No one's saying everyone is.

But a huge proportion are.

And the simple fact is 5 euro a week for doing nothing. In my case 3 euro something for a 70 hour working week.

No way can you spin that as fair.

• Advertisement
Advertisement