Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hey Leo? Why do I bother getting up in the morning?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Idbatterim wrote: »
    I think this might stop people voting. If you're sick of being bent Over as a taxpayer. Where do you go? Weren't fg supposed to be the actual workers party? I'll give Renua my vote. Won't even give fg a second preference ...
    So when Varadkar was voted in, the wailing and gnashing was about him being a Thatcherite, his "early in the morning" comment taken as slur on the working class, Leo was going to gut public services and sell the country to private companies.

Then a budget comes out which gives everyone a little bonus, some more than others, and suddenly he's a pinko, throwing good money after bad and being soft on scroungers.

Sounds like he's pissing everyone off.

Which is usually a sign that he's doing a decent job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

I was talking with a neighbour last night.. he was just back from Scotland where he bought a new trailer, and got a bargain because it was 600 euro cheaper than here.. then he told me that he is away to Italy this evening for 4 days. (Guess what he does for a living?)

I don't begrudge him in any way, it's nice to get away, and I know the guy pretty well and get on well with him.

It's just a bit absurd sometimes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

I was talking with a neighbour last night.. he was just back from Scotland where he bought a new trailer, and got a bargain because it was 600 euro cheaper than here.. then he told me that he is away to Italy this evening for 4 days. (Guess what he does for a living?)

I don't begrudge him in any way, it's nice to get away, and I know the guy pretty well and get on well with him.

Travel writer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

What the hell are you smoking Comrade?
    Unearned wealth? What you are talking about is theft, pure and simple.
    At this stage you are trolling, nothing else.
    You really are (reads username), oh it's you, well then it makes sense...

Even right wing economists would see inherited wealth as unearned. That said we probably should protect family homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

The 10,000 thread this week bashing the unemployed and begruding them a fiver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Travel writer?

He should consider it

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭qwerty ui op

People aren't protesting because now they:
    -Live in bigger better houses, than the one they grew up in, the finish on an average new house today is far ahead of that in the 80's.
    -They go on bigger better holidays that involve sun+plane.
    -They have more clothes with better brands.
    -They've longer gym and swimming pool membership, to fancier leisure centers.
    -They're kids do more activities and sports and have more gear.
    -Cars and jeeps are bigger better more comfortable.
    -More tv's pc phones etc
    -Food cost much less when compared to wages.

Does this count for anything! I'd love for someone on here moaning to explain all that away and tell me why their still unhappy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

The 10,000 thread this week bashing the unemployed and begruding them a fiver.

Damn f***ing right we are!

There is no way that it is right for people who do not work to get more than those who do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

BPKS wrote: »
    I thought that the pot of money they had available in 2018 includes a 1% increase in ALL public sector workers. Maybe from the Croke Park agreement?

Anyway the budget was no great surprise. If you are unlucky enough to earn between €40k and €70k in this country you are always going to be the one bearing the brunt of the pain.

I'm in a position now after I got a degree, went back to do a part time diploma while I was working, put my head down and kept my job and kept my mortgage payments during the recession and I just keep getting a kicking.

No mortgage interest relief - tick
    No write-down on mortgage - tick
    No Medical Card - tick
    No Grant for 3rd level education for your kids - tick
    No Family Income Supplement - tick
    No Back to School Allowance - tick

You have to earn €20k gross a year to put 1 child through college as it costs around €10k a year all in. They expect people on €50k a year gross to be able to find that €10k after they pay for everything else.

In this country they still expect people on modest salaries to pay for everything themselves while others, many who never bothered trying to better themselves, are entitled to help after help after help. And generally get that help. Thanks to the likes of me.

But hey, I'm used to it at this stage:mad:

And once you've worked yourself to death or into care and kick the bucket, some posters want to come and take every penny you've put aside for the next generation.
    Dosvedanya Comrade!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Even right wing economists would see inherited wealth as unearned. That said we probably should protect family homes.

Source?
    And besides, fcuking over people who build something up for no other reason because others are incapable or unwilling to do the same is hardly equality.
    Besides, do you think the state will give the money to the poor? It will just go into the state coffers.
    Yes, taxing inheritance that is over a few 100k is not unfair, but taking away every penny from an inheritance that is a semi-D, a car and a few k in the bank?
    That's a Fcuk You Tax, pure and simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,145 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

-Live in bigger better houses, than the one they grew up in, the finish on an average new house today is far ahead of that in the 80's.
    -More tv's pc phones etc

Does this count for anything! I'd love for someone on here moaning to explain all that away and tell me why their still unhappy.

growing worker insecurity, larger private debt, maybe!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Let's see....

Buys a new trailer, heads away to Italy for 4 days?

I'm gonna take a guess at this one....

**crosses fingers**

image.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭qwerty ui op

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    growing worker insecurity, larger private debt, maybe!?
    People have much more education behind them today it's hard to actually gauge worker security but surly with a degree or college diploma you've got a lot of options.
    You can buy a perfectly sound car today for about €2500 yet they'll get loan for €30,000 for something that does the exact same thing.
    The house prices are all about that more exclusive location and the lavish finish people want to chop their veg on a granite desk top. and are willing to give up their time for this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,645 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

-More tv's pc phones etc

* I don't go on holidays. I'm still paying the loans for my childrens education as I wasn't entitled to a grant because I work hard and earn a decent wage.
    * I live in a decent house because I took out a mortgage and paid all repayments and stamp duty. I didn't look for a council house.
    * I buy most of my clothes in Penneys actually.
    * I'm not a gym member. Never been in one actually. I play golf and take out a CU loan to pay for it annually. Again nothing free.
    * My car is a 2007 Focus.
    * I have one 32" t.V. which I saved to buy through not going to the pub at night.
    * I shop in Lidl and Aldi.

I'm protesting because I pay for everything, work hard but feel penalised for the privilege.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

I tend to vote FG but I wont at the next election. Leo is a much better leader than Enda but they still have zero vision and zero balls.

FG have achieved very very little since FF were destroyed in 2011.

The only thing they have achieved is making FF look legitimate again.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Farmer I presume?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

pjohnson wrote: »
    Surely you guys who whinge so much get up so you can lord it over the common peasants?

I’d love to, but I don’t have the time. I leave my house at 7am (I say my house, it’s my parents, as I can’t afford my own), then get home at 7pm.

By that time I’m shattered and can’t afford to go down to the pub to the peasants anyway. So not much lording time left unfortunately.

People have much more education behind them today it's hard to actually gauge worker security but surly with a degree or college diploma you've got a lot of options.
    You can buy a perfectly sound car today for about €2500 yet they'll get loan for €30,000 for something that does the exact same thing.
    The house prices are all about that more exclusive location and the lavish finish people want to chop their veg on a granite desk top. and are willing to give up their time for this.

good points alright, im all for further education and overall education and training of society but i do believe increasing worker insecurity is becoming a very serious problem and the accumulation of debt, in particular private debt, is completely unsustainable and extremely dangerous. education can and does create more options for people but not all have access to our education systems, and these systems tend to cater people with certain abilities and capabilities, i.e. they tend to be biased, leaving some behind.

i suspect your second point is largely related the bull**** that is marketing. effectively we ve been sold a pup in that, if we consume and purchase the most expensive things we can afford, we ll be happy! really!:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

I’d love to, but I don’t have the time. I leave my house at 7am (I say my house, it’s my parents, as I can’t afford my own), then get home at 7pm.

By that time I’m shattered and can’t afford to go down to the pub to the peasants anyway. So not much lording time left unfortunately.

If you're working those hours and still living with mammy then you're doing something wrong.

pilly wrote: »
    If you're working those hours and still living with mammy then you're doing something wrong.

you d be surprised of the amount of people doing this, and people with kids doing this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,085 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

I find it as that some people are only now seeing through Leo.
    He never achieved anything in any position he held before. He became taoiseach because the government members who voted for him want to be seen as inclusive and forward thinking.
    This man and this government aren't capable of a decent decision. Not saying any of the others are any good either.
    Irish voters gets the politicians they deserve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,645 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

you d be surprised of the amount of people doing this, and people with kids doing this
    And you'd be surprised at the amount of parents and even grandparents who work a few hours in order to help their children pay their mortgages especially since the recession in 2007/8.

And you'd be surprised at the amount of parents and even grandparents who work a few hours in order to help their children pay their mortgages especially since the recession in 2007/8.

i know a retiree who i suspect is part paying his kids mortgages, he certainly has the money to do so, i certainly dont begrudge him or them, he worked for it, and his kids continue to work hard

I find it as that some people are only now seeing through Leo.
    He never achieved anything in any position he held before. He became taoiseach because the government members who voted for him want to be seen as inclusive and forward thinking.
    This man and this government aren't capable of a decent decision. Not saying any of the others are any good either.
    Irish voters gets the politicians they deserve.

I was waiting for the knuckle draggers to show uo wirh the "only there cos he's gay" nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

-More tv's pc phones etc

I'd consider that a fairly wealthy person. Or someone financing a lifestyle on credit. That is not typical of that many people I know and I know all kinds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

I tend to vote FG but I wont at the next election. Leo is a much better leader than Enda but they still have zero vision and zero balls.

FG have achieved very very little since FF were destroyed in 2011.

The only thing they have achieved is making FF look legitimate again.

I'm in the same boat - voted for them all my adult life but would struggle to justify it again, without really knowing where else my vote will go at the moment.

Strikes me as a cowardly budget, given Leo's big talk for quite some time now of helping the "squeezed middle" and ending the gravy train for the people who pay nothing in (not getting into another debate about how many of these there actually are".

I wasn't expecting a revolutionary budget but there is nothing creative or new in there at all. Everyone in the country gets a little bit - €5-6 per week, they've helped no one in particular. Meanwhile we make preparations to pay €25k in childcare for 2 kids next year, my wife resigning herself to not being able to take any unpaid maternity leave because we can't afford it.

If Varadkar was as passionate about delivering on his election promises as he seemingly is of minimum unit pricing for alcohol, it may have been different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

is living on welfare hard,no not in Ireland if one doesn't have mortgage or owns a house with tight squeeze a bit of savings one could live comfortably and way better then someone making minimum wage for 40hrs a week and money they spend on commutes,insurance,food etc at the end of the week maybe puts them few euro ahead at best.as opposed to sitting at home.

but its not a single issue, public servants those in government make killing after 2-3 years they retire with pensions enough to carry for extra generation.

a lot of taxes paid go into black hole - road taxes tv licenses fund pockets of many when not even fraction is used properly.

large corps who are free to rip off people - car insurance wild west, and many similar services enjoy massive tax benefits and practically have monopoly.

then there's hse guards who dont get enough funding and law system broke being point where people with 40-60 convictions are free to roam.

thus there's no middle class support,rich dont care since they have security and dont need to face scum, working people have no time to complain since they barely scrape to manage roof over their heads.

and rest dont bother at all since system works in their favor,so there's no incentive to even bother doing anything.

If Varadkar was as passionate about delivering on his election promises as he seemingly is of minimum unit pricing for alcohol, it may have been different.

You would have to wonder what kind of a country we live in when the govt wish to introduce a minimum alcohol price (as opposed to an excise increase) which doesn't really achieve much bar raise the profits of drinks giants, and maybe make drinking a few at home reach nearly as expensive a treat as drinking in a VFI members pub, all under the spurious excuses of " heath concerns" considering:
    • FG pledged to support publicans and the viability of pubs by tackling drink pricing from offsales in their last manifesto, health reasons featured in it nowhere.
    • The finance minister is a former employee of drinks giant Diageo who recently transferred his shares in it to his spouse in effort to avoid a "conflict of interest" lol.
    • Various Tbs up and down the country will be holding clinic's in their pubs, surrounded by the unhealthy and dangerous demon drink, and indeed some will even hold meetings in their pubs to discuss the merits of introducing MUP, and the need for it under health concerns.
    Then they'll all laugh at the peasants over a Jimmy and Plain in the taxpayer subsidised Dail bar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭trixiebust

There is no way that it is right for people who do not work to get more than those who do.

More generalisation again. I'm on social welfare & believe me, there's no way I'm getting more than you.

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    Leo will be in his office with his spin/PR team instead of addressing workers issues.

Shouldn't be a bother to him now.

Taoiseach’s ‘Department of Spin’ will cost €5 million in 2018

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Rick Shaw wrote:
    Shouldn't be a bother to him now.

Ah yes the Dept Leo claimed would be cost neutral to the taxpayer. Leo caught lying again, seems to be a trait of FG leaders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,021 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Was an FF led budget and Leo just lay down to have his belly scratched for acceding to their demands.

What a hypocrite he is. He promised he would ensure that the squeezed middle would at last get some benefit for the awful times they went through during the recession.

But no. All mouth and no trousers, and Pascal the Rascal just read the script.

Power is everything it seems.

FF will be returned with an overall majority soon.

FF will be returned with an overall majority soon.

sadly, i think you maybe right

Bigger? My house could fit twice into my parents, and then again into their garden. And they bought it earlier in life on one wage.
    -More tv's pc phones etc

Some of that is true -- food is definitely cheaper and flights are cheaper, but so what? If rent is taking 40% of your post tax wages, if childcare takes another 20%, the fact that things are better than the past in some ways is meaningless. The 80's were better than the 50's. You expect that in a modern industrial system.

Source?
    And besides, fcuking over people who build something up for no other reason because others are incapable or unwilling to do the same is hardly equality.
    Besides, do you think the state will give the money to the poor? It will just go into the state coffers.
    Yes, taxing inheritance that is over a few 100k is not unfair, but taking away every penny from an inheritance that is a semi-D, a car and a few k in the bank?
    That's a Fcuk You Tax, pure and simple.

The inheritor hasnt built anything up. In reality we should make sure that the sons and daughters of multi-millionaires end up as mere millionaires. You are right about the semi-D

trixiebust wrote: »

More generalisation again. I'm on social welfare & believe me, there's no way I'm getting more than you.

But I bet you can afford to go the GP as and when you feel like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    At this moment in time that's the problem isn't it. There isn't a party worth voting for. FG/SF/FF/Labour/loonie left?? :confused: It's depressing looking at those options.

When oh when are we going to get a political movement that looks to the interests of the vast working and middle classes who are the engine and oil of our society. There is a huge gap there and nobody to fill it. :(

you have it, could you please take a look at what renua post on their facebook page. They may as well be posting on many of our behalves here on boards.ie!!! also go and watch their personal taxation video. The usual welfare questions are asked at the end and they deal with them brilliantly... if renua cant gain after this insult to taxpayers at the next election, they may aswell disband!

https://www.facebook.com/renuairl/?ref=search

many here are also claiming, you are "talking about a tiny amount of lifetime wasters" no, I am saying the entire welfare budget is outrageous and out of control!

you have it, could you please take a look at what renua post on their facebook page. They may as well be posting on many of our behalves here on boards.ie!!! also go and watch their personal taxation video. The usual welfare questions are asked at the end and they deal with them brilliantly... if renua cant gain after this insult to taxpayers at the next election, they may aswell disband!

https://www.facebook.com/renuairl/?ref=search

many here are also claiming, you are "talking about a tiny amount of lifetime wasters" no, I am saying the entire welfare budget is outrageous and out of control!

are they still on about flat rate of taxation?

So when Varadkar was voted in, the wailing and gnashing was about him being a Thatcherite, his "early in the morning" comment taken as slur on the working class, Leo was going to gut public services and sell the country to private companies.
    yeah coming from leftie Ireland, from the media to the general public. In the uk or usa, fg would now been seen as the left!

• Advertisement

are they still on about flat rate of taxation?
    no... I dont think the idea is bad. They themselves however recognised this is Ireland, no point going with it, if people dont get it! they said as much themselves, I also made this statement on boards.ie, way before they declared it themselves publicly... sure "twould only benefit the rich" etc, yeah the real wolfs of walls streets on 40,50,60,70 k etc... L! O! L!

no...

whats their craic now then?

The inheritor hasnt built anything up. In reality we should make sure that the sons and daughters of multi-millionaires end up as mere millionaires. You are right about the semi-D

Why?
    What happens the multi millions? Go to house some tracksuit clad skobes?

Augeo wrote: »

Why?

That's exactly what they want.

Augeo wrote: »

Why?

That's exactly what they want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭pxdf9i5cmoavkz

eh...

The majority of houses in Ireland are still a decade behind most other developed cities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

OK, so the idea is to destroy wealth when it's handed down to the next generation? Of course, but whose wealth? Will it be the mansions and millions of the rich?
    Laughable. What it will be is the few thousand and semi D's of the middle class, forcing another generation into wage slavery.
    Right now that's already the case, if a parent with dementia has to go into care you will see a drain of €3k a month, any house or inheritance is quickly gone that way.
    The worst thing possible for the government is a wealthy middle class with enough assets and cash so as to not having to enslave themselves in mind crushing jobs and trying to survive on the grind. A middle class with time and money might get silly ideas above their station in regards to business and politics.
    Better keep them desperately try to save every penny they have for that €60k deposit of a house that will then be taken off them by inheritance tax that the next gen can't afford, if there is a house left after 10 years in specialist care.
    The beautiful side effect of both spouses having to work full time just to pay the bills and trying to put a few grand aside is that they are now liable for a few €€€€ in child care.
    An exhausted middle class with all their cash tied up and no time on their hands will keep nice and quiet, because the mere threat of more sh*t raining down on them will make them keep the head down.

Nice summation of a modern capitalist democracy there.

I'd only add that while all that's happening, the "left" and the "right" squabble about who has the more legitimate claim to the crumbs from the table of Corporate Ireland. (as evidenced by this thread)
    Is it Johnny Dolescrounger or Paul SelfemployedProfessional....
    While all this energy is wasted, entities which turn over mind boggling sums in this jurisdiction, walk off into the sunset each year having paid relatively miniscule tax. But thats ok because A) It's their money and I just wish I could do the same! and B) All de jabs doh!
    All the while our public services cry out for funding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭trixiebust

Why would I need to ? Is that the great burden I put on you, I go to the doctor as often as I like?!!

For what it's worth, I go when I have to, not for the fun of it, just like you - see we're not so different after all. But you consider me dole scum, & class yourself as a higher class.

whats their craic now then?
    just listening to it again, raise point of entry to the higher rate to E43,800 over 5 years. no more narrowing of the tax base. the finance spokesman was also commenting on the last budget and saying how it was so scattergun, same as this budget :rolleyes:

"renua is trying to occupy a space where the first priority we have is rewarding work. we want to incentives people to leave welfare and take up employment. so we don't see a situation where we would be topping up welfare as it would be counter productive"

finance spokesman. " I think a flat tax system makes sense, but I said to the floor that day, it will never be implemented in this country, its way too radical for this country and there is no point going with policies that are way too radical and everyone accepted that. I said to John (party leader), lets be realistic, about what it is possible to achieve. I think flat tax is for a different planet unfortunately"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Why would I need to ? Is that the great burden I put on you, I go to the doctor as often as I like?!!

For what it's worth, I go when I have to, not for the fun of it, just like you - see we're not so different after all. But you consider me dole scum, & class yourself as a higher class.

This is true and beyond laughable....people see someone on dole and assume they have a medical card..

Therefore think people do be rocking up to the doctors for the craic like.....it just makes no sense....if that was the case,they'd be on certs...and noone questions it then

You go when you have to.

I suffer in pain until I can afford to.

I don't see people on benefits as scum. I don't consider class.

But I don't see why there should be perks for those who contribute nothing to society.

• Advertisement
Advertisement