Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hey Leo? Why do I bother getting up in the morning?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,241 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Ha ha, love it. Especially all those who say this was a FF budget delivered By FG.

No it wasn't, this was a FG budget. Delivered by the very people you voted for. Must be sickening they looked after the people you look down on.

Dont worry. Someone said they will vote for SF. That'll fix things!

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭well spoken man

I get up in the morning because I have a great accountant :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

Why in a time of practically full employment would any Government pay out more to benefit claimants than they would to those working and contributing to our country.

Sends out the wrong signal totally. IMV.

But suck it up as you all say.

Are we in full-employment again? That was quick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    The government doesn't pay me and I earn multiples of what a benefit claimant gets. 198 euro after the rise in the budget hardly champagne and strawberries stuff. It's a 5'er as you say get over it.

While its great taking the bare number in isolation, there is rent allowance, food and clothing assistance and they can get their utility bills paid.

On the flip side I leave the house before 7 get home after 6 , after bills, childcare with no loans or credit cards and non smoker I have 250 a month disposable out of which I have to feed myself for the month and to the point of gp care I was sick for 5 weeks as I needed two pay cheques to be able to pay for a gp and medicine.

We have two kids and I am in college at night trying to improve our life so yes I do have a big problem as a taxpayer that some lazy arsehole got more out of the budget than me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

Shemale wrote: »
    While its great taking the bare number in isolation, there is rent allowance, food and clothing assistance and they can get their utility bills paid.

What food and clothing assistance? What utilities allowance?

On the flip side I leave the house before 7 get home after 6 , after bills, childcare with no loans or credit cards and non smoker I have 250 a month disposable out of which I have to feed myself for the month and to the point of gp care I was sick for 5 weeks as I needed two pay cheques to be able to pay for a gp and medicine.

We have two kids and I am in college at night trying to improve our life so yes I do have a big problem as a taxpayer that some lazy arsehole got more out of the budget than me.

Why did you have kids you couldn't afford?

I believe thats the line you lot trot out.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Why did you have kids you couldn't afford?

I believe thats the line you lot trot out.

Calm down entitled..

Where did I say I couldnt afford kids?

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

So... What exactly am I getting for the tax that I pay? Sweet **** all it seems.

Calm down entitled..

Where did I say I couldnt afford kids?

You cited them as an expense. I believe the excuse you lot have is that you should better yourself before you have the children. Why are you only bettering yourself AFTER? If you bettered yourself before you could afford childcare AND have more than €250 left.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

cournioni wrote:
    So... What exactly am I getting for the tax that I pay? Sweet **** all it seems.

Education,hospitals, Garda pretty long list actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

cournioni wrote: »

Mattie McGrath, Lowry, Bertie, Gerry Adams. What more do you want?

You cited them as an expense. I believe the excuse you lot have is that you should better yourself before you have the children. Why are you only bettering yourself AFTER? If you bettered yourself before you could afford childcare AND have more than €250 left.

Why do you think people can only better themselves before children?

They are an expense you are assuming a burden.

I believe you lot, have the whole day to improve yourself either BEFORE or AFTER kids so why should you lot get free money for being lazy.

I was qualified to degree level in the industry I was in for 18 years, when my wife was pregnant I lost my job, second redundancy in that industry so rather than sitting on my hole using my keyboard for boards like you lot I used it to do up a CV and apply for college.

I am at the lower end of the pay scale in a new far more secure industry and studying and working hard to try improve our life, I finish my H Dip in summer.

Us lot try to give our kids the best and be a role model, you lot are lazy and bad role models.

I believe you lot, have the whole day to improve yourself either BEFORE or AFTER kids so why should you lot get free money for being lazy.

I was qualified to degree level in the industry I was in for 18 years, when my wife was pregnant I lost my job, second redundancy in that industry so rather than sitting on my hole using my keyboard for boards like you lot I used it to do up a CV and apply for college.

I am at the lower end of the pay scale in a new far more secure industry and studying and working hard to try improve our life, I finish my H Dip in summer.

Us lot try to give our kids the best and be a role model, you lot are lazy and bad role models.

Oh. You assume I'm unemployed. Yes. Just because someone who pays tax doesn't whinge they MUST be unemployed. Lol how many times are people going to make this moronic assumption :D. You guys are the gift that keeps on giving. Keep that faux superiority complex going :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

With a budget of €15 billion and a population of 4 million+, we should have a world class health service.

And then you read this....

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/number-of-hse-managers-has-risen-almost-40-since-2012-1.2753376
    Senior staff at grade VIII and above have a standard working week of 37 hours but are precluded from claiming overtime. The HSE said it is common for most managers to work in excess of their contracted hours.

This is nonsense. I knew managers who struggled to hit 20 hours a week especially if they were golfers. The timesheets were also abused in order to get time in lieu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

With a budget of €15 billion and a population of 4 million+, we should have a world class health service.

And then you read this....

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/number-of-hse-managers-has-risen-almost-40-since-2012-1.2753376

Not when you have a welfare budget of 20 billion people for a population of 4 million people:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

This is nonsense. I knew managers who struggled to hit 20 hours a week especially if they were golfers. The timesheets were also abused in order to get time in lieu.

I'm a golfer - I also worked, previously, in the PS (not the HSE) and we regularly worked well over the contracted time - in fact, because we had case management/tracking software we knew exactly how much and how long managers worked - pre-HRA the average for our group was about 45 hours or about 10 hours per week per person over the contracted week.....

......HRA came along and Howlin seemed fixed on the 37 hour week so that's what it dropped to.

Btw, since leaving the PS my handicap has dropped because I now enjoy flexibilities my erstwhile colleagues can only fantasise about....the only real detriment I've suffered is a loss of 'pure' holiday/leave time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Jawgap wrote: »
    I'm a golfer - I also worked, previously, in the PS (not the HSE) and we regularly worked well over the contracted time - in fact, because we had case management/tracking software we knew exactly how much and how long managers worked - pre-HRA the average for our group was about 45 hours or about 10 hours per week per person over the contracted week.....

......HRA came along and Howlin seemed fixed on the 37 hour week so that's what it dropped to.

Btw, since leaving the PS my handicap has dropped because I now enjoy flexibilities my erstwhile colleagues can only fantasise about....the only real detriment I've suffered is a loss of 'pure' holiday/leave time.

My PS experience was solely in the HSE and that is all I have commented on here. Out of curiousity, why did you leave?

Not when you have a welfare budget of 20 billion people for a population of 4 million people

Didn't you claim the population was 5 million. Also you do realise the dole is a very small part of the welfare budget. Pensions are the largest category.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Worst Budget in a long time!!

Apparently I am one of them middle income workers, that the Government so wanted to help. Thanks for the extra €60 a year Leo, thanks a lot.

:rolleyes:

Mint Sauce wrote:
    Apparently I am one of them middle income workers, that the Government so wanted to help. Thanks for the extra €60 a year Leo, thanks a lot.

You need to upskill at least that's what is a frequent response on boards to improve you earning potential.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Worst Budget in a long time!!

:rolleyes:

Remember it come the election. All the moaning in the world on an internet forum won't help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

My PS experience was solely in the HSE and that is all I have commented on here. Out of curiousity, why did you leave?

The HSE is a basket cast and will continue to be so as long as the politicians are anywhere near it. Its structurally inefficient and will remain so because people won't vote in anyone to reform it.

I left the PS for the same reason my wife did about three years before me - in my area it used to be a professionally rewarding, financially modestly generous place to work - then it made less and less financial and professional sense to remain - so off I f7cked........

The irony? I'm now back - only this time working on discrete projects as a consultant!! The PS is paying us about 50% more again for my time than it paid when I was an employee!!

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭qwerty ui op

God, I really hope this kinda stuff is something you save for a boards.ie rant and you're not walking around with this swirling around your head.
    Where did these feeling sorry yourself notions come from? surely you've seen massive progress in you day to day life over the years.
    How is passing this attitude on to your children being a good role model? Supposing someone is doing the exact same thing with their time as yourself but there doing it without the attitude, aren't they a better role model and contributing more.

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    Remember it come the election. All the moaning in the world on an internet forum won't help.

Who should we vote for?

You said yesterday there is noone you would vote for.

So if we remember it come election who should we vote for?

Genuine question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

Who should we vote for?

Genuine question.

I can think of no one to be honest.

I'm a Sinn Fein voter - purely for the Republican/All Ireland aspect, but now they're going too far and are lumped in with the "free everything" crowd.

I'm leaning towards FG but thought Tuesday's budget was a kick in the nads for hard working people.

Wouldn't vote FF if you paid me, Greens etc are a wasted vote and the hard left want putting against a wall and shooting.

It'll probably be FG but I'm not happy with that budget.

That would be the hospitals we have to pay extra to get in, have an extended waiting period (as we're not cute enough to whine on the Late Late and get bumped up the list); Gardai who have to spend their resources marshalling morons who protest at paying for services the rest of us have no choice but to pay and education - where the workshy get the grants and the workers have to go without ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,711 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Who should we vote for?

Genuine question.

Where did he say you should vote? He just said remember this. Abstention is an option.

(And don't give me the "if you don't vote, you can't complain ****e": if you voted FG, you can't complain)

Other options, if you feel democracy is sacred and revolution takes up too much of your drinking time, would be to go into politics and run for election yourself.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I think the sad truth is it makes no difference who you vote for.
    I'm like you peter - usually vote sinn fein - but to be honest some of the stuff they come out with, particularly economically is, just fúcking crazy. The only saving grace is that they wouldn't actually do most of it - just like the others, they are largely populist liars.

Fianna fail and fine gael may as well just get a room and get it over and done with - the civil war is finished, you're basically the same party now. Labour are an absolute waste of a vote, the greens are just mad, people before logic are pure snake oil, tell them whatever it takes to get a vote.

No matter who was in power, we'd have ended up with more or less the exact same budget. I honestly don't think it would make a difference.

I very well may not even bother to vote next time - it's only a pity they can't all loose the election!

The only way the election will really impact you is if you're "lucky" enough to end up with an independent who through a chance happening of mathematics ends up wielding disproportionate power, then they might get you an un-needed police station, or a useless train service or something along those lines.

Oh. You assume I'm unemployed. Yes. Just because someone who pays tax doesn't whinge they MUST be unemployed. Lol how many times are people going to make this moronic assumption :D. You guys are the gift that keeps on giving. Keep that faux superiority complex going :pac:

Moronic assumption? Lol from the guy assuming I had more kuds than I can afford. You keep referring to me in the collective "you lot" so its a fair assumption you are in the other lot.

You never answered my question about why people should only improve themselves before they have kids.

I think the sad truth is it makes no difference who you vote for.
    I'm like you peter - usually vote sinn fein - but to be honest some of the stuff they come out with, particularly economically is, just fúcking crazy. The only saving grace is that they wouldn't actually do most of it - just like the others, they are largely populist liars.

Fianna fail and fine gael may as well just get a room and get it over and done with - the civil war is finished, you're basically the same party now. Labour are an absolute waste of a vote, the greens are just mad, people before logic are pure snake oil, tell them whatever it takes to get a vote.

No matter who was in power, we'd have ended up with more or less the exact same budget. I honestly don't think it would make a difference.

I very well may not even bother to vote next time - it's only a pity they can't all loose the election!

The only way the election will really impact you is if you're "lucky" enough to end up with an independent who through a chance happening of mathematics ends up wielding disproportionate power, then they might get you an un-needed police station, or a useless train service or something along those lines.

Agreed with every point and I'm shamelessly stealing "people before logic"!!

• Advertisement

Where did he say you should vote? He just said remember this. Abstention is an option.

(And don't give me the "if you don't vote, you can't complain ****e": if you voted FG, you can't complain)

Other options, if you feel democracy is sacred and revolution takes up too much of your drinking time, would be to go into politics and run for election yourself.

That's all I wanted to know.

So it's either vote or just don't vote at all if not happy.

That's fair enough.

That's fair enough.

I would hear my grandfather in my head on election day though - as a Catholic in the North he was unable to vote at times in his life and drummed it into my dad and then into me that voting was a privilege not to be abused.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

That would be the hospitals we have to pay extra to get in, have an extended waiting period (as we're not cute enough to whine on the Late Late and get bumped up the list); Gardai who have to spend their resources marshalling morons who protest at paying for services the rest of us have no choice but to pay and education - where the workshy get the grants and the workers have to go without ?

So you think you deserve to be seen in hospital before a child with a twisted spine? Nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,711 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

That's fair enough.

Emmm.... not sure if you read the post, but there were other options listed...?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

pilly wrote: »
    So you think you deserve to be seen in hospital before a child with a twisted spine? Nice.

Actually no. I have been waiting to see an orthpaedic surgeon for four years.

I wasn't talking about myself. I'll wait. I am in pain but nothing meds can't take the edge off.

I'm talking about the people who are literally dying each day waiting for surgery. It's about the elderly languishing without real care and it's about the children committing suicide as we have zero in the way of adolescent mental health care.

Yet one pretty teenager with cystic fibrosis stands outside the Dail and the country loses its s**t and begs for drugs that cost hundreds of millions.

It's begging by television and media and the most photogenic/loudest shouting gets the attention and funding.

It's wrong.

Actually no. I have been waiting to see an orthpaedic surgeon for four years.

I wasn't talking about myself. I'll wait. I am in pain but nothing meds can't take the edge off.

I'm talking about the people who are literally dying each day waiting for surgery. It's about the elderly languishing without real care and it's about the children committing suicide as we have zero in the way of adolescent mental health care.

Yet one pretty teenager with cystic fibrosis stands outside the Dail and the country loses its s**t and begs for drugs that cost hundreds of millions.

It's begging by television and media and the most photogenic/loudest shouting gets the attention and funding.

It's wrong.

You're posts are so full of bitterness and self-pity they're scary, I have to be honest.

I know if my child was dying from cystic fibrosis or had a twisted spine I'd stand naked on O'Connell Bridge to get them treatment and I don't condemn anyone else for doing the same. Maybe you need to learn some lessons from people who actually do something about their plight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Well I just the sales of Cigarettes and soft drinks plummet so they have to think of a new way of paying for it all.

Don't smoke but do like a can of coke.

:(

You're posts are so full of bitterness and self-pity they're scary, I have to be honest.

I know if my child was dying from cystic fibrosis or had a twisted spine I'd stand naked on O'Connell Bridge to get them treatment and I don't condemn anyone else for doing the same. Maybe you need to learn some lessons from people who actually do something about their plight.

"Scary" ? Don't overdo the hyperbola or anything there.

How is caring about the elderly and adolescents with mental health issues is "self pitying" ? I'm in neither category.

I'm simply a citizen who would be more than happy to forego any tax decrease if it was ringfenced for genuine care of our most vulnerable. It is not however and it goes to those who should not get it.

Emmm.... not sure if you read the post, but there were other options listed...?

I've pass on them thanks:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

No way will I vote fg again, I agree with the other poster, I'm not going to come on here bitching after the past two budgets slamming fg and then vote for them again. Fool me, once... . You guys are aware there is a party that has dropped its flat tax policy and that actually has the interests of workers first? They don't need to be a welfare first party like the rest of them. Every other part occupies that space!!!

I'll go further this isn't just about welfare. It's about hard working people being taken to the cleaners if they are looking to buy a new home or rent, particularly in Dublin. They don't get their as god as free houses and all the other long list of benefits.

"Scary" ? Don't overdo the hyperbola or anything there.

How is caring about the elderly and adolescents with mental health issues is "self pitying" ? I'm in neither category.

I'm simply a citizen who would be more than happy to forego any tax decrease if it was ringfenced for genuine care of our most vulnerable. It is not however and it goes to those who should not get it.

So far you named a child with a twisted spine and a teenager who's dying as people who shouldn't get it. That is indeed very scary.

The reality is not one of us and can pick and choose how every single euro of our tax goes to, it doesn't work that way. And I'm glad of that. If you think the two examples you've mentioned are not our most vulnerable I hate to think what your choices would be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

So far you named a child with a twisted spine and a teenager who's dying as people who shouldn't get it. That is indeed very scary.

The reality is not one of us and can pick and choose how every single euro of our tax goes to, it doesn't work that way. And I'm glad of that. If you think the two examples you've mentioned are not our most vulnerable I hate to think what your choices would be.

You'd leave that in the capable hands of power first everything else second ff and fg?

Idbatterim wrote: »
    You'd leave that in the capable hands of power first everything else second ff and fg?

I'd prefer to leave it in the hands of trained medical professionals who can judge the severity of a condition medically, rather that Ryan Tubridy or a Facebook campaign.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Garda? I have barely seen one in the last six months. The ones that I have seen are only interested in the tax disc on vehicles.

Hospitals not worth a crap without health insurance at further cost.

Education becoming more expensive. You only have to look at how much college fees have risen to see this.

Young to middle aged workers seem to be paying more and more for something, but getting less and less back. I certainly am not getting anything currently for what I’m paying, meanwhile they are giving more to social welfare.

Idbatterim wrote: »
    No way will I vote fg again, I agree with the other poster, I'm not going to come on here bitching after the past two budgets slamming fg and then vote for them again. Fool me, once... . You guys are aware there is a party that has dropped its flat tax policy and that actually has the interests of workers first? They don't need to be a welfare first party like the rest of them. Every other part occupies that space!!!

I'll go further this isn't just about welfare. It's about hard working people being taken to the cleaners if they are looking to buy a new home or rent, particularly in Dublin. They don't get their as god as free houses and all the other long list of benefits.

If you are talking about social housing you do realise the majority in social housing work hard and pay a percentage of their earning on rent. It's not as good as free unless you don't work at all and are on welfare.

We are in desperate need of a new political movement in Ireland that looks after the interests of working people over those on welfare and the banks.

FG have now been exposed as useless and won't be getting a vote from me again. Now we all know why Varadkar is spending so much on spin and PR.

• Advertisement

cournioni wrote: »
    Garda? I have barely seen one in the last six months. The ones that I have seen are only interested in the tax disc on vehicles.

Hospitals not worth a crap without health insurance at further cost.

Education becoming more expensive. You only have to look at how much college fees have risen to see this.

Young to middle aged workers seem to be paying more and more for something, but getting less and less back. I certainly am not getting anything currently for what I’m paying, meanwhile they are giving more to social welfare.

100% spot on - you might want to batten down the hatches, the Boyd Barrett/Murphy fan club seem to meet here.

If you are talking about social housing you do realise the majority in social housing work hard and pay a percentage of their earning on rent. It's not as good as free unless you don't work at all and are on welfare.

We are in desperate need of a new political movement in Ireland that looks after the interests of working people over those on welfare and the banks.

FG have now been exposed as useless and won't be getting a vote from me again. Now we all know why Varadkar is spending so much on spin and PR.

And if that ever came about they would be elected with a landslide. But I fear they won't come.

There never will be such a political movement.
    Those on welfare need looking after, by definition some will always abuse and milk such a system.
    The working people essentially fund the country, that won't change unless we change corporation tax significantly and if that's done we won't have as many working people going forward.

100% spot on - you might want to batten down the hatches, the Boyd Barrett/Murphy fan club seem to meet here.

Murphy and Barrett are not any type of alternative to what we have at present and that's the crux of the problem, we have no proper alternative to the garbage on offer.

FG = Liers

FF = Over my dead body

SF = Lunatics

Labour = Ha

Loonie Left = No thanks comrade

Iv'e voted at every single election and referendum but i honestly might spoil my vote next time around. Never thought it would come to that but it's now a genuine option.

Murphy and Barrett are not any type of alternative to what we have at present and that's the crux of the problem, we have no proper alternative to the garbage on offer.

FG = Liers

FF = Over my dead body

SF = Lunatics

Labour = Ha

Loonie Left = No thanks comrade

Iv'e voted at every single election and referendum but i honestly might spoil my vote next time around. Never thought it would come to that but it's now a genuine option.

Fair enough Billy that's your choice.

But how many times do you need to tell us in this thread:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement