Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hey Leo? Why do I bother getting up in the morning?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,711 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I've pass on them thanks:)

cant-some1else.jpg

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

God, I really hope this kinda stuff is something you save for a boards.ie rant and you're not walking around with this swirling around your head.
    Where did these feeling sorry yourself notions come from? surely you've seen massive progress in you day to day life over the years.
    How is passing this attitude on to your children being a good role model? Supposing someone is doing the exact same thing with their time as yourself but there doing it without the attitude, aren't they a better role model and contributing more.

Holding these views:

1) People who are able to work should do and shouldnt be rewarded for not being arsed
    2) Hard workers who pay tax, paye and prsi should be first to be relieved of the increased taxes

As opposed to:
    1) I can get free money so why would I leave the house when I can sponge off others
    2) We should get more because we are "entitled"

Makes me the worse role model, lol.

Funny enough redundancies, downturn and career changes arent the norm for improved salary. 10 years ago I was on 7k gross more, paying much less tax and a higher cost of living and like lots of other workers I have worked my arse off.

So having an opinion is attitude because it goes against the views of entitled?

Believe it or not I dont get into these conversations with my kids but I tell the older kid(4) I am working hard in school to make our life better so he has the same drive I have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,711 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Shemale wrote: »
    Holding these views:

1) People who are able to work should do and shouldnt be rewarded for not being arsed
    2) Hard workers who pay tax, paye and prsi should be first to be relieved of the increased taxes

As opposed to:
    1) I can get free money so why would I leave the house when I can sponge off others
    2) We should get more because we are "entitled"

Makes me the worse role model, lol.

Funny enough redundancies, downturn and career changes arent the norm for improved salary. 10 years ago I was on 7k gross more, paying much less tax and a higher cost of living and like lots of other workers I have worked my arse off.

So having an opinion is attitude because it goes against the views of entitled?

Believe it or not I dont get into these conversations with my kids but I tell the older kid(4) I am working hard in school to make our life better so he has the same drive I have.

I'd argue that it's more the idea that anyone who is unemployed is automatically in that position by choice and is automatically sponging off others you give. Not really a healthy prejudice to pass on to one's offspring. (Not saying it is, but it comes across as the impression you have)

As to the actually budget, I'd be more inclined to agree wit ha 10/15 euro increase to people who have been unemployed 12/18 months or less and no increase for people longer than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

I'd argue that it's more the idea that anyone who is unemployed is automatically in that position by choice and is automatically sponging off others you give. Not really a healthy prejudice to pass on to one's offspring. (Not saying it is, but it comes across as the impression you have)

As to the actually budget, I'd be more inclined to agree wit ha 10/15 euro increase to people who have been unemployed 12/18 months or less and no increase for people longer than that.

Maybe I didn't convey it properly, it's 100% the "entitled" freeloaders I have an issue with.

I would have no problem with jobseekers going to 400 a week for the 12 / 18 months as it should be to help people who want to work but can't get a job. Anyone on the dole longer than two years should be getting the bare minimum to keep them alive never mind to keep them in smokes and booze.

cournioni wrote: »
    Garda? I have barely seen one in the last six months. The ones that I have seen are only interested in the tax disc on vehicles.

Hospitals not worth a crap without health insurance at further cost.

Education becoming more expensive. You only have to look at how much college fees have risen to see this.

Young to middle aged workers seem to be paying more and more for something, but getting less and less back. I certainly am not getting anything currently for what I’m paying, meanwhile they are giving more to social welfare.
    Where are you living? In Dundalk they're everywhere all day every day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Where are you living? In Dundalk they're everywhere all day every day.

Bandit Country.
    Dodge City with guinness...or Harp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    If you are talking about social housing you do realise the majority in social housing work hard and pay a percentage of their earning on rent. It's not as good as free unless you don't work at all and are on welfare.

We are in desperate need of a new political movement in Ireland that looks after the interests of working people over those on welfare and the banks.

FG have now been exposed as useless and won't be getting a vote from me again. Now we all know why Varadkar is spending so much on spin and PR.
    I am aware of that. It's a pittance though. You know what I'd pay for a room in a house share in Dublin 14 where I live that wasn't a loop? Assuming I could find a room... e700 a month easy. I was living in a two bed apartment there that is now renting for e1800 a month. When you are talking about those figures , I'm sorry if I dismiss what they pay as nothing, but it's a pittance compared to what other low income earners have to land out as a percentage of income ...

And if that ever came about they would be elected with a landslide. But I fear they won't come.
    Really? Please view Renua Facebook page. Taxation strategy. Their opinion on welfare. All on a video on their page. Please report your findings back to me here ...

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    Murphy and Barrett are not any type of alternative to what we have at present and that's the crux of the problem, we have no proper alternative to the garbage on offer.

FG = Liers

FF = Over my dead body

SF = Lunatics

Labour = Ha

Loonie Left = No thanks comrade

Iv'e voted at every single election and referendum but i honestly might spoil my vote next time around. Never thought it would come to that but it's now a genuine option.
    Spot on with that analysis. Echoes my sentiment etc. How do you have an easy ride here? Go knocking on door agreeing with the electorate that there can never be enough. Sure aren't they awful. Snipe from the sidelines. Pathetic. Easiest money you could earn. No wonder there's endless amounts of the gob****es occupying that space ...

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭__..__

I vote that the new rate for social welfare is €1 per month for every day you have worked in the last 5 years.
    That way you'll get a nice few Bob when you first become unemployed and drops with each day you remain unemployed.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Really? Please view Renua Facebook page. Taxation strategy. Their opinion on welfare. All on a video on their page. Please report your findings back to me here ...

This has turned into a party political broadcast.

I am aware of that. It's a pittance though. You know what I'd pay for a room in a house share in Dublin 14 where I live that wasn't a loop? Assuming I could find a room... e700 a month easy. I was living in a two bed apartment there that is now renting for e1800 a month. When you are talking about those figures , I'm sorry if I dismiss what they pay as nothing, but it's a pittance compared to what other low income earners have to land out as a percentage of income ...

Any low income earner is entitled to go on the housing list and receive HAP so there's no issue there.

__..__ wrote: »
    I vote that the new rate for social welfare is €1 per month for every day you have worked in the last 5 years.
    That way you'll get a nice few Bob when you first become unemployed and drops with each day you remain unemployed.

You're either trolling, or you have no idea why it's called "social" security.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

It's not a pittance if you are on low wages. What's the alternative, charging people in social housing who work the market rate? I can absolutely guarantee you all that would do is force people onto the dole from low paid employment.

Social housing is an absolute must, the problem is we haven't got enough of it and the result is the carnage we are witnessing at present all brought to you by years of crap governance from FF/FG/Labour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I work average 3.5 days a week, but do more hours in that week, than a Monday to Friday 9 to 5 does, would you propose I would get the same rate?

Whilst I am all for reducing social welfare in certain circumstances, or switching to means testing after a certain period, not sure I would be settling for them terms.

pilly wrote: »
    This has turned into a party political broadcast.
    Yeah I'm sure it sounds like it. Many are saying nobody represents them. Ie workers I'm just pointing out that it's not true ...

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    I work average 3.5 days a week, but do more hours in that week, than a Monday to Friday 9 to 5 does, would you propose I would get the same rate?

Whilst I am all for reducing social welfare in certain circumstances, or switching to means testing after a certain period, not sure I would be settling for them terms.

You divide the number of hours you work in a week by 7.5 and you get the number of days. The more you work the more you get if you need the dole. The less you work the less you get and the faster it falls the longer you don't work.

Of course I wouldn't expect anyone who is allergic to work to agree with the idea but perhaps those who do work hard would.

Yeah I'm sure it sounds like it. Many are saying nobody represents them. Ie workers I'm just pointing out that it's not true ...

I'm a worker and they certainly don't represent me. All I'm saying is this is not the political forum and we already got the point you support Renua. No need to keep telling us.

You divide the number of hours you work in a week by 7.5 and you get the number of days. The more you work the more you get if you need the dole. The less you work the less you get and the faster it falls the longer you don't work.

Of course I wouldn't expect anyone who is allergic to work to agree with the idea but perhaps those who do work hard would.

Well I hope you are one of the lucky ones who have a job, and never face unemployment then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Well I hope you are one of the lucky ones who have a job, and never face unemployment then.

9.5/10 people have a job.

That's not luck.

So the person who works 3 hours a day is treated the same as the guy who works 12 hours a day...?

Also (still assuming you're not a troll, which I'm breginning to believe is the case and you genuinely haven't thought this through) the people who have no income and no food will not react the way you think they will, causing an sevear extra strain in the finances of the security and police forces resulting in required increase of fundung for said forces which will be paid for in higher taxes.

That's not luck.

Not easy though getting another one if you lose it though.

Nothing lucky about having a job these days tbf.
    Sure they are looking for loads of people I'm my office. Two coffee shops across the road are looking for staff. The cleaning info company who cleans our office are short of workers.

I'm a worker and they certainly don't represent me. All I'm saying is this is not the political forum and we already got the point you support Renua. No need to keep telling us.
    how dont they support you? I take it you have issues with them other than their wanting to reduce income tax? im all ears as to alternatives that support workers like myself or yourself, so please let me know which parties I am missing...

how dont they support you? I take it you have issues with them other than their wanting to reduce income tax? im all ears as to alternatives that support workers like myself or yourself, so please let me know which parties I am missing...

There are many reasons they don't represent me which aren't the subject of this thread.

I don't have any alternatives, just not stupid enough to fall for the "they're all terrible so lets vote for these lunatics over here, that'll show them".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

We are badly served by viable choices in this country, but Renua did offer some sign of being a real alternative.. then the whole religious conservatism pretty much ended their chances. Has that now changed?

If so, seeing as it was a pretty fundamental part of the party, does that not make them populist and no different to the rest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

What worries me is I can't afford anything like a house on a what is an average income. Yet I'm expected to pay other people's pensions. Yet I have to work longer into my old age and chances are I will ****ed over at that stage.

You don't work you get everything. You work you get absolutely no help. Yet some of the most serious people struggling are the ones working. I would love to see suicide figure and a break down of how many are working and non working. I think you'd find alot are in working jobs. Struggling to keep above water and a government who doesn't want to help.

When you get a social house is it 10% of your income even when your circumstances change?

TallGlass wrote: »
    What worries me is I can't afford anything like a house on a what is an average income. Yet I'm expected to pay other people's pensions. Yet I have to work longer into my old age and chances are I will ****ed over at that stage.

You don't work you get everything. You work you get absolutely no help. Yet some of the most serious people struggling are the ones working. I would love to see suicide figure and a break down of how many are working and non working. I think you'd find alot are in working jobs. Struggling to keep above water and a government who doesn't want to help.

Leo Varadkar - making work pay.

He didn't say that your own work would be paying you and not someone not working though.

• Advertisement

That's not luck.

most of my friends, most of which are in their early 30's have never been unemployed, one or two that were let go, had jobs lined up before their contracts ended or before they were let go. Massive coincidence I am sure. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,241 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Go on lad. Start up a 0 tax 0 welfare party. See how ya get on :)

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    We are badly served by viable choices in this country, but Renua did offer some sign of being a real alternative.. then the whole religious conservatism pretty much ended their chances. Has that now changed?

If so, seeing as it was a pretty fundamental part of the party, does that not make them populist and no different to the rest?

ok, first of all, people make out as if Renua would win over 50% of the vote and have free reign, not a chance. What are they going to do? overturn the gay marriage referendum. The 8th might be repealed before there is an election, what do you think , that if that is the case, they will want another referendum. I dont even see what this bloody social thing has to do with anything, they wont be influencing social policy one bit! They may over financial policy though, which is what this entire thread is about!

ok, first of all, people make out as if Renua would win over 50% of the vote and have free reign, not a chance. What are they going to do? overturn the gay marriage referendum. The 8th might be repealed before there is an election, what do you think , that if that is the case, they will want another referendum. I dont even see what this bloody social thing has to do with anything, they wont be influencing social policy one bit! They may over financial policy though, which is what this entire thread is about!

With the utmost of respect that is the biggest load of bs I've read in a long time. If they're not going to have any influence on social policy they certainly won't have any on financial policy, not a chance so you've just killed your only argument.

I gave renua my second vote last election.

To be honest the religion thing I couldn't give two ****s about, I care about economic policy.

Sadly a large amount of the country is still caught up in the religion nonsense so can't see them doing much.

Clearly though it was enough of an issue for the electorate last time out that Renua didn't even get one TD

Besides, even if they managed to get into a coalition government, they'd be more likely to be thrown a "social" brief by whichever of the Big 2 they were in with than any real say over fiscal policy.

It's a pity because aside from the religious angle, I actually thought they had some interesting ideas.

To be honest the religion thing I couldn't give two ****s about, I care about economic policy.

Sadly a large amount of the country is still caught up in the religion nonsense so can't see them doing much.

Not often I agree with you, but you're spot on here tbf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,241 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Start a new party or join Renua. Be our Donald :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

I was also tempted to vote Renua. They seemed to offer an sensible alternative but the religion nonsense put me right off. Pity.

exactly I agree with you 100%. I couldnt care less about the religious nonsense either. Also there is a large amount of us here who are sick and tired of the welfare hikes , when relatively low earners are being done for 51% over the joke of E34,500 or whatever it is. There are a huge amount on board with being against that.

Why is religion seen as such an issue for renua anyway. can I ask what position the masters of popularity ff and fg take on these issues, so as not to alienate anyone?
    think I gave them a 1 last year and FG 2. It will be renua 1 now and nothing else. If the vote goes to waste, so be it, wont even give fg a second preference. it would simply be reading and condoning their bull****. they do it , because they think / can get away with it and have to date...
    i think they have recently come out as pro life. I dont know why though, why dont they just allow it be a matter of personal choice for their candidates. to do themselves in, when its only a small part of what they are. It was idiotic in my opinion. its a bloody emotive issue one way or another, a grey area. But on main policies i.e income tax etc, welfare, its far easier to get people of an agreeable mind together. I actually do think they should rebrand and ditch the whole social conservatism thing. it serves no purpose...

• Advertisement

pjohnson wrote: »
    Go on lad. Start up a 0 tax 0 welfare party. See how ya get on :)

I didnt claim that is what I want. I like many others though, have no interest in world class welfare, paid for by world class insane rates of tax, like the marginal one here thieving over 50% of our income over a paltry figure...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,252 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

this hard worker doesn't agree. he can see to many pitfalls with the idea and the potential cost. the cost v benefit says it's not a good idea to me. i as much as the next person, have no time for scammers and i don't understand how the work shy manage to do the same mind-numming thing day after day, but the fallout from the suggested idea really isn't worth the tiny bit of benefit it might bring.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

People love the 50% ish tax rate speel and I do mention it myself but if you're earning €50k you take home 73% ish of it, just over €36.5k (if you don't contribute to a pension).

That's 27% total tax on a not too bad salary.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

The problem with radical changes to benefit systems is always that the sly ones find a way around it and the hard up ones who can't manage and are in a trap are targeted or just suffer because they're, on paper, the same as the workshy ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,252 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

When you get a social house is it 10% of your income even when your circumstances change?

the rent increases if your income increases. the council review the rent every so often (review times are different from council to council)

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

the rent increases if your income increases. the council review the rent every so often (review times are different from council to council)

So 10% right way through?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Augeo wrote: »
    People love the 50% ish tax rate speel and I do mention it myself but if you're earning €50k you take home 73% ish of it, just over €36.5k (if you don't contribute to a pension).

That's 27% total tax on a not too bad salary.

Yes it's a good salary, but if push comes to shove and you need help or more frankly you need that 27%, your told to go and fúck. And to me that is not right.

And it's not right either paying into a system, that when again push comes to shove and you need to use it, your giving little or nothing compared to people who have never paid into it or paid very little.

It will be fun and games when I become an OAP. I do wonder, what happens to all the OAP's that are going to come online without a house. Who pays there rent or where will we live?

As for goverments dipping into savings via DIRT and taxing dead relatives, well that's just wrong at the rates they charge when dipping into these things. The whole system is wrong and it won't change. The worst is yet to come. These 0 hour contracts and working conditions are deteriorating rapidly. This added with the benefit of getting everything if you don't work is a seriously bad combination.

TallGlass wrote: »

It will be fun and games when I become an OAP. I do wonder, what happens to all the OAP's that are going to come online without a house. Who pays there rent or where will we live? ..............

A means tested version of what today is..............
    Housing Assistance Payment (HAP)
    The Housing Assistance Payment (HAP) is a form of social housing support for people who have a long-term housing need. It is available in all local authority areas throughout the State. HAP will eventually replace long-term Rent Supplement.

Again, folks with only the state pension will qualify but those with private pensions might not depending on how much they earn in total.

In decades to come you could have pensioners house sharing like folk in their 20s/30s do now.

When did the country become so left wing?

Probably during the boom. So much to throw around that when you try take it back in bad times people loose their mind.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

When did the country become so left wing?

Probably during the boom. So much to throw around that when you try take it back in bad times people loose their mind.

Ireland has always been a little left leaning....as far back as the land leagues...no such movement as similar movement arose in the UK

1916 and the war of independence was fought
    (And won) on a socialist republic platform,

Look across at the UK and even the america to see where following right leaning idiolgy brings you eventually....il be fcuked if anyone can convince me that's a good vision for ireland to head too

Somewhere in the middle and not dogged/blinded by idiolgy is perhaps best?

Advertisement