Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get waves?

Options
  • 11-10-2017 8:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭

Hi gang

I'd love to create beach waves/volume in my flat hair but I don't know what hair tool I need.
    I see some people swear by wavers but others say it just crimps it, whereas some actually use straighteners and curling tongs.

So I'm confused.
    What should I buy?
    Budget is max €100.

Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭dizzyn

I bought a wide curler in Lidl about 4 weeks ago for 15 euro!! I curl my hair and then leave it for a few minutes before I hairspray it. The waves look great:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I use a standard medium size curler, I think the one I have is babyliss and was about €30. I let the curls cool down for a minimum of 20-30 minutes to prevent frizz, and then gently brush out with a paddle brush. Perfect waves every time. Its my go-to hair do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

Sometimes it just goes like that if I let my hair dry and scrunch it a bit but sometimes it doesnt so i cant rely on it if i was going out. I bought a waver a few years ago and found it does, like you said op, kind of just create a crimped look.

I find a very thin curling wand is best for curls but they drop quite a bit into a softer curl which I like. If I sleep on it, it can look a little wavy with volume the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 lmarieloos

I usually just curl my hair in small sections and quite tight and then leave them to completely cool and brush them out, it always turns out quite well. Wish I had more time to do it everyday! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    I use a standard medium size curler, I think the one I have is babyliss and was about €30. I let the curls cool down for a minimum of 20-30 minutes to prevent frizz, and then gently brush out with a paddle brush. Perfect waves every time. Its my go-to hair do.

What curler do you suggest? I sound thick but what's a medium sized curler? Can you recommend a particular one?x that Babyliss one....what's it called?

fussyonion wrote: »
    What curler do you suggest? I sound thick but what's a medium sized curler? Can you recommend a particular one?x that Babyliss one....what's it called?

My mind has gone totally blank, I can't remember exactly what type the one I have at home is but I'll check this evening after work and let you know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Gal44

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I use the GHD to get it wavy (there's tutorials on YouTube) and then brush them out slightly but hold them at the top. I use Ouai dry texturising spray to hold the wave and add texture so it's a bit more lived in looking, I'm not a fan of neat curls personally.
    I can't use curling tongs. I'm just not able.

fussyonion wrote: »

I don't know where I got Babyliss from because its actually this one

I got mine in Argos last year for about €30, even if you were to go with a different brand I find the size of the barrel on that curler perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 KatieBelle92

I am really crap at doing hair and I was never able to use hair wands properly. I got a Babyliss Curl Secret and I find it amazing. It has three different heat settings and you basically clamp a small section of your hair, it sucks it in to the curler and spits back out a perfect curl :cool:

It can take a bit of getting used to. I watched a few youtube tutorials before I used mine. I find the best way to do it for waves is put your hair into two pigtails then just curl the hair that's in the pigtails (if that makes sense?!). That way when you take the pigtails out you have that nice wave where it's kinda straight at the top.

https://www.lookfantastic.com/babyliss-curl-secret/11181581.html?affil=thggpsad&switchcurrency=EUR&shippingcountry=IE&gclid=CjwKCAjwyIHPBRAIEiwAHPS-GFUsqcJrah3qbhtzrV2_HeTKZHzP_2W1jv93aOS_xhf5ZeZWa0biLBoCvBAQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CILC-9eY7dYCFYKtUQod8LQFxg

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭shoegal1

@KatieBelle92

That looks amazing. Is your hair as poker straight as the models on the tutorial? I wonder would it work on natural wavy (but sh1te/frizzy) hair, or would I have to use a straighteners first?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 KatieBelle92

shoegal1 wrote: »
    @KatieBelle92

That looks amazing. Is your hair as poker straight as the models on the tutorial? I wonder would it work on natural wavy (but sh1te/frizzy) hair, or would I have to use a straighteners first?

My hair is naturally curly/frizzy so yeah I usually straighten it first! I use a steam pod for straightening, they are also amazing. In saying that I have roughly blowdried it straight then used the curler and it stills turns out lovely, the heat from the curler kind of smooths out your hair even if it isn't poker straight to begin with.

I think it is easier to run the straightener over your hair first though, it just seems to work a bit better and is a good way to make sure there's no knots etc before starting. If you put too much hair/knotty hair in to the curl secret it won't work. It lets you know if you're doing it wrong by the beeping which I find very handy!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭MinnieMinx

A lot depends on the texture and density of your hair. If it's fine hair, you'll struggle to hold a curl/wave without adding products to your hair beforehand.
    The Babyliss curl secret is really good if you're not too hot on using a straightener or wand to get soft beach waves. Plus less chance of you burning your fingers.
    Trick is to spray some holding product sparingly, take small neat sections and curl it. Then using your fingers, gently roll the section back up to your head and pin it with a curl clip and leave for at least thirty minutes to set the hair. When it's set, release the clip and use a paddle brush or your fingers to gently separate the curls/waves.
    If it's fine hair, just use your fingers and not a brush otherwise, you will probably just brush the curls straight out.

Advertisement