Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

garage conversion for rental purposes

Options
  • 11-10-2017 9:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭

Hi ho, reside in rural dwelling outside an urban centre and oh not working so looking at alternative sources of income. Was thinking of converting double garage into 3 bedroom self contained unit. Garage separate to house by walkway. Do many folks do this and is there planning implications re change of use etc? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,078 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

gomamochi1 wrote: »
    ...is there planning implications re change of use etc? Thanks
    Yes.

From what I understand you're extremely unlikely to get planning permission as you're essentially creating a separate dwelling.

Prob one for the Construction and Planning forum.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

gomamochi1 wrote: »
    Hi ho, reside in rural dwelling outside an urban centre and oh not working so looking at alternative sources of income. Was thinking of converting double garage into 3 bedroom self contained unit. Garage separate to house by walkway. Do many folks do this and is there planning implications re change of use etc? Thanks

Planning required.
    Planning will be refused.

(Based on what you’ve posted about your plans for it)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

What if you just rent it out for storage, we are doing an extension and looked at self storage places they are expensive. Could you fit 3 classic cars in it. Or partition / shelve it out and rent parts of it as self storage. You'd need to look at insurance implications.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

It would be an awful lot easier to rent out rooms in your own house if you have any spare.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

pilly wrote: »
    It would be an awful lot easier to rent out rooms in your own house if you have any spare.

That would be a house share which is vastly different to what the OP asked about.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    That would be a house share which is vastly different to what the OP asked about.

OP has mentioned that they are looking at alternative means of income. I was merely suggesting one. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,962 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Explore building a covered passageway/hall from main house to garage conversion.

If it can be accessed from main house it is covered under the Rent a Room Scheme. Max income including bills = 14k then no tax payable.

From the Revenue Website....

Self-contained unit
    The rented room or rooms can be a self-contained unit within the house, such as a basement flat or a converted garage. If this unit is not attached to the property it cannot qualify for the relief.

I think you will still need planning for the conversion of the garage.

It might be worth the effort and investment though.

What if you just rent it out for storage, we are doing an extension and looked at self storage places they are expensive. Could you fit 3 classic cars in it. Or partition / shelve it out and rent parts of it as self storage. You'd need to look at insurance implications.

Planning required as it’s a change of use then. Also fire safety cert and disabled cert because of its commercial nature.
    Most likely planning refused.

kceire wrote: »
    Planning required as it’s a change of use then. Also fire safety cert and disabled cert because of its commercial nature.
    Most likely planning refused.

Is rent a room considered commercial? I wouldn't have thought so, its just renting rooms in your home which the garage is if connected to the house

As an aside and a question I have wondered for a while but not worth a thread on its own. Would an underground connection between a garage and a house mean it is the same building?

I was talking to someone who will be building and he was thinking of having an underground corridor from the house to the garage thus still being able to drive around the house etc (i.e. between the garage and the house over the corridor) but not having to go outside to get to the car on a wet morning or when wanting to get into the garage. The cost of this could be prohibitive of course but it just got me thinking would this mean the garage was considered part of the house if you wanted to fall under the rent a room scheme down the line?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,957 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Rural - outside the town.

The more serious question would be is there a market AND is the return viable.

From what is in the first post it sounds not.

• Advertisement

Is rent a room considered commercial? I wouldn't have thought so, its just renting rooms in your home which the garage is if connected to the house

As an aside and a question I have wondered for a while but not worth a thread on its own. Would an underground connection between a garage and a house mean it is the same building?

I was talking to someone who will be building and he was thinking of having an underground corridor from the house to the garage thus still being able to drive around the house etc (i.e. between the garage and the house over the corridor) but not having to go outside to get to the car on a wet morning or when wanting to get into the garage. The cost of this could be prohibitive of course but it just got me thinking would this mean the garage was considered part of the house if you wanted to fall under the rent a room scheme down the line?

No, not commercial but I was replying to a post saying they should convert it to commercial storage.

The underground link would require planning due to the depth of the works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Nightwing1234

Hi,

Is there a better legal definition for the word "unattached"... e.g. I have a 1 bed building/unit and the end of my garden. It is not "physically" attached to my house - not by bricks and mortar anyways...

My interpretation is as follows:

1. The unit is attached to my house by the back garden itself as one can walk out the door of the unit and after a few steps be at the back door of my house.
    2. The unit is attached by the services provided to it... i.e. the electric/sewage/water/internet/tv are all being provided and paid for my house.
    3. The unit is attached by means of the washing line running from the unit to the house.

p.s. I am not trying to be flippant... hopefully ye can agree that the word "attached" can be interpreted differently...

Anyone got any opinions on this?
    Ta

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Hi,

Is there a better legal definition for the word "unattached"... e.g. I have a 1 bed building/unit and the end of my garden. It is not "physically" attached to my house - not by bricks and mortar anyways...

1. The unit is attached to my house by the back garden itself as one can walk out the door of the unit and after a few steps be at the back door of my house.
    2. The unit is attached by the services provided to it... i.e. the electric/sewage/water/internet/tv are all being provided and paid for my house.
    3. The unit is attached by means of the washing line running from the unit to the house.

p.s. I am not trying to be flippant... hopefully ye can agree that the word "attached" can be interpreted differently...

Ta
    I have but they are unprintable. The revenue won't accept your interpretation. You can try argue that in court. I woukld expect your lawyers will want to be weel paid in advance before running that argument.

"Attached" means that the structures at least share a party wall.

Hi,

Ta

Clutching at straws comes to mind.

Hi,
    Where does it state that in "legal" terms or even the statute books?
    Thanks,
    Eddie

Hi Lumen... so ""Attached" means that the structures at least share a party wall."

Thanks so that means my boundary wall that runs along my garden that is connected to both is therefore "shared".

Can you let me know if your statement is based on legal founding or is it just your interpretation?

Ta

Hi Lumen... so ""Attached" means that the structures at least share a party wall."

Thanks so that means my boundary wall that runs along my garden that is connected to both is therefore "shared".
    OK, so you're splitting hairs on the definition of "party wall"? Seriously? For the sake of argument I mean that two people on either side of the wall are both indoors.
    Can you let me know if your statement is based on legal founding or is it just your interpretation?
    Legal advice is not permitted on boards.

Why don't you ask the Revenue?
    I have a 1 bed building/unit and the end of my garden.
    What is the current permitted use of that "unit"?

"Party Wall" - splitting hairs - yep I am :)

Anyways black's law states "A housing unit that shares a wall with another unit." - so now the splitting of hairs comes down to "Shares a wall"...

I have asked revenue - but like here - you just get responses from them with no legal founding and passing the query up the line. Waiting for a response from someone in "legal" in Revenue - whatever that means!

Thanks for the replies - I'll come back and update with the eventual response from Revenue.

p.s. the "unit" is "permitted" to be used as I deem fit.

Thanks again :)

• Advertisement

:D

Translation: "I'm renting out a shed tax-free under the rent a room scheme but it's OK as it's attached to my house by a washing line".

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Ta

Your garden is attached to my house by various roads.

I own your washing line. Get your clothes off my washing line immediately.

Ta

Party Wall and Boundary Walls are different things.
    The wall in your garden is a Boundary Wall.

You have permission for a Garden Shed. use it as a gym, garden room etc
    Habitation is a breach of the Planning and Development Act.

I was wondering who was using the washing line while I was at work...

But endacl... leopard print y-fronts... really?

Lads... number 1 and 3 where tongue in cheek...

I seriously thought all the services running to it would suffice for being attached... but alas not...

Looks like I'll be building an unused corridor to it to make it part of the house... need somewhere for bikes/tools etc when I rent it out...

Thanks all again :)

Looks like I'll be building an unused corridor to it to make it part of the house... need somewhere for bikes/tools etc when I rent it out...

Thanks all again :)

You'll need Planning Permission.

"Habitation is a breach of the Planning and Development Act."

Jaysus... I've slept in it numerous times when I wasn't allowed into the house after a night out with the lads... who would have thunk I could have called the guards to have her indoors arrested!!

Thanks for that kceire...

"Habitation is a breach of the Planning and Development Act."

Jaysus... I've slept in it numerous times when I wasn't allowed into the house after a night out with the lads... who would have thunk I could have called the guards to have her indoors arrested!!

Thanks for that kceire...

You asked for the legal info.

ah it was only from Revenue point of view...

as for the council... they can go and jump...

Unfollowing this thread now lads... adios...

• Advertisement

ah it was only from Revenue point of view...

as for the council... they can go and jump...

Unfollowing this thread now lads... adios...

See you in 6 years :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement