Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sucking up leaves

Options
  • 11-10-2017 10:51am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭

Its one chore i hate and thats sweeping up leaves...so is there any machine out there that can vacuum up leaves? either to purchase or to hire

Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,973 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Yes most electric leaf blowers have a bag attachment.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

aldi used to carry them occasionally. though we've reached that tmie of year and i've not seen sign of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Yes, most leaf blowers can either blow or suck :) Ours also chops up the leaves it sucks up making the contents of the bag quite compact for chucking in the brown bin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Almost any mower that bags the grass will also pick up leaves.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Blow them into piles before sucking or scooping. They make great mulch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Imo most vaccum blowers get clogged with wet leaves here.

Invest in a decent petrol blower to blow the leaves into a pile.

I have an older version of one of these for a long time and have just got one for the father in law.

Stihl leaf blower 86

41YpcVf%2B8sL._SY400_.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00CIRV1TC/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1507734996&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=stihl+leaf+blower&dpPl=1&dpID=41YpcVf%2B8sL&ref=plSrch

The above is the best priced one I could find inc delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭ozmo

my3cents wrote: »
    Almost any mower that bags the grass will also pick up leaves.

Yeah i just lawn mower them up also.

Have a garden vacuum but the bag gets soking wet if the leaves are even a little damp.

“Roll it back”

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

thanks for the replies folks,

yes i'm familiar with the blower/vacuum types but they get damn heavy and clog up if the leaves are any way damp

i was more thinking of something garden trailer size with a hose attached that can suck up the leaves..does such a thing exist ? or do i have to invent it myself?

philstar wrote: »
    thanks for the replies folks,

yes i'm familiar with the blower/vacuum types but they get damn heavy and clog up if the leaves are any way damp

i was more thinking of something garden trailer size with a hose attached that can suck up the leaves..does such a thing exist ? or do i have to invent it myself?

I used to use a Snapper Bag n Wagon http://lawnandgarden.manualsonline.com/manuals/mfg/snapper/60300.html bl00dy brilliant at picking up leaves wet or dry but no longer manufactured :mad:

Edit> Sorry was the snapper ride on that was good at picking the leaves up, it has a single blade and a very deep deck that rarely gets blocked. The Bag n Wagon is just the tow along trailer that holds a massive amount of sucked up leaves, probably about 3 times more than any similar sized mower.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

^^^^^^^^^^^

was that meant for leaves or just regular grass?

• Advertisement

philstar wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^^^

was that meant for leaves or just regular grass?

Its a regular mower but I used to use it to pick up all sorts of stuff including hedge clippings. My biggest use after mowing was picking up London plane leaves which are really tough and leathery and very slow to compost but after being chopped up and mixed with a bit of grass they break down really well.

Its all very well being able to pick stuff up but not much use if you have to spend a lot of time emptying a collection box the Bag n Wagon made the whole process much quicker and is obviously also holds a similar amount of grass when you are mowing.

I checked two years ago and Briggs and Straton who had taken over Snapper had stopped making all the really useful attachments that used to fit that mower. iirc it was the 33 inch cut that had the most powerful vacuum for picking up wet grass and of course leaves.

If you've got lots of money then a vertical mower also used for removing and bagging moss in a lawn also makes a powerful leaf chopper sweeper and bagger.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

my3cents wrote: »
    I used to use a Snapper Bag n Wagon http://lawnandgarden.manualsonline.com/manuals/mfg/snapper/60300.html bl00dy brilliant at picking up leaves wet or dry but no longer manufactured :mad:

Edit> Sorry was the snapper ride on that was good at picking the leaves up, it has a single blade and a very deep deck that rarely gets blocked. The Bag n Wagon is just the tow along trailer that holds a massive amount of sucked up leaves, probably about 3 times more than any similar sized mower.

Abbey garden sales still have the bag n wagon as an available accessory on their website.

Advertisement