Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Network Switch

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Looking to run a few of these in the house and might avail of the POE option.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/UBIQUITI-NETWORKS-UBI-UAP-AC-PRO-5Ghz-1300Mbps/dp/B016XYQ3WK/

I've about 28 cat 6 network points coming back to a central location in the house. Can I use a standard switch (maybe 24 port) for the majority and a smaller one (8 port) to power the WAPs via POE to try and help keep the costs down?

Do you need every point patched up? That would strike me as unlikely.

If you are looking at Ubiquiti AP's, you should need 2-3 at most. And a controller. The cheaper versions, like the AC-lite, come with POE adaptors. Since POE+ swithes are usually loud and expensive, I'd just use the adaptors.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭joebloggs123

Thanks for the reply. I'm looking at having approximately 15 active devices on the network including the access points. I have allowed for power sources beside where each access point will be located so that is an option.
    I'm trying to identify the best hardware for the network that be stable and easily managed. The last thing I need is people coming to me saying that the network isn't working or I cannot access my files and I have to run round the house restarting devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Thanks for the reply. I'm looking at having approximately 15 active devices on the network including the access points.

A single AP can easily do 15 devices assuming good signal.
    I have allowed for power sources beside where each access point will be located so that is an option.

POE adapter powers the CAT5/6 cable. So it doesn't need to be in the room. You wire like so, switch, POE adaptor, wall point, wall point, Access point.
    I'm trying to identify the best hardware for the network that be stable and easily managed. The last thing I need is people coming to me saying that the network isn't working or I cannot access my files and I have to run round the house restarting devices.

That's always going to happen.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

I quite like the HPE managed switches. I'd agree, if you don't mind a fan then by all means get a PoE switch aswell. The Ubiquiti ones come with adapters and are quite nice APs actually!

• Advertisement
Advertisement