Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firearm licence question

Options
  • 11-10-2017 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭

Hi Guys , just a question on the my firearm licence , on the section have you ever been arrested or had a criminal conviction , i was arrested for drunken dissorder and convicted 13 years ago , i had a fight with a guy who likes beating up guys half his size a bully he was , the point I'm making is do I still have to keep writing that **** down because I'm sick to death off writing it down on my application form , I'm not a trouble maker don't have any other convictions , where do I stand on this , Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

You must include it.
    Failure to do so has been an offence under Section 3(13) since 2006, punishable by up to "a fine not exceeding €20,000 or imprisonment for a term not exceeding 5 years or both" depending on the context and outcome of the court case.

Note that even if nobody thinks your specific case is worth that much of the court's time, "Your Super has your record and decides you're lying and so he's not granting this or any future applications from you" could still be a likely outcome depending on the context.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭retro d

Sparks wrote: »
    You must include it.
    Failure to do so has been an offence under Section 3(13) since 2006, punishable by up to "a fine not exceeding €20,000 or imprisonment for a term not exceeding 5 years or both" depending on the context and outcome of the court case.

Note that even if nobody thinks your specific case is worth that much of the court's time, "Your Super has your record and decides you're lying and so he's not granting this or any future applications from you" could still be a likely outcome depending on the context.
    Thanks Sparks , I have had guns for years and I have always wrote it down , I'm just tired of writing it down it's in the past I want to forget about it you know what I mean Thanks

I know what you mean. There is an allowance for spent convictions in a law they brought in last year, which means that after seven years some convictions are considered expunged and you wouldn't list them any more, but I'm not sure if your case applies - they talk about "All convictions in the District Court for minor public order offences" but I'm not a solicitor so I couldn't tell you if that applied here (not only because I'm not a solicitor but also because you probably don't want to be revealing every little detail in public on here). You'd want to talk to a solicitor about it (just talking to one isn't going to set you back any more than a trip to the GP).

I know what you mean. There is an allowance for spent convictions in a law they brought in last year, which means that after seven years some convictions are considered expunged and you wouldn't list them any more, but I'm not sure if your case applies - they talk about "All convictions in the District Court for minor public order offences" but I'm not a solicitor so I couldn't tell you if that applied here (not only because I'm not a solicitor but also because you probably don't want to be revealing every little detail in public on here). You'd want to talk to a solicitor about it (just talking to one isn't going to set you back any more than a trip to the GP).
    Thanks Sparks , I said it to the firearms officer last time about spent convictions
    And he never heard of that he said , I know he was lying , I will ask a solicitor about it , you have been very helpful Thank you all the best

He actually might not have been lying - the amount that AGS spends on training is a deeply unfunny joke at this point. I don't think they even have a course for Supers about the Firearms Act and their duties under it.

• Advertisement

He actually might not have been lying - the amount that AGS spends on training is a deeply unfunny joke at this point. I don't think they even have a course for Supers about the Firearms Act and their duties under it.
    Very true he might not have been lying , it was the impression I got from him that was suspicious , not very informative , not one bit friendly tip toe around you , it's almost like your doing something wrong by applying for a gun licence I'm not expecting cups of tea and cookies , Thanks Sparks

Advertisement