Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UEFA Nations League

• 11-10-2017 11:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭

Well now the group stage of the World Cup Qualifiers are over UEFA have confirmed the Teams for each League for their new National League System that will see promotion and relegation and also provide Qualifiers for Euro 2020.

League A

Germany, Portugal, Belgium, Spain, France, England, Switzerland, Italy, Poland, Iceland, Croatia, Netherlands

Teams will be split into four groups of three, with the group winners then contesting the UEFA Nations League Finals (semi-finals, third-place match and final) in June 2019 to become the UEFA Nations League winners. One host country will be appointed in December 2018 from among the finalist teams.

The four sides that finish bottom of their groups will be relegated to League B for the 2020 edition.

The top four-ranked League A teams that do not qualify for UEFA EURO 2020 will enter play-offs in March 2020, with one finals place on offer.

League B

Austria, Wales, Russia, Slovakia, Sweden, Ukraine, Republic of Ireland, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Northern Ireland, Denmark, Czech Republic, Turkey

Teams will be split into four groups of three. The four group winners are promoted to League A, with the four sides that finish bottom relegated to League C for the next competition, to be played in 2020.

The top four-ranked League B teams that do not qualify for UEFA EURO 2020 will enter play-offs in March 2020, with one finals place on offer.

League C

Hungary, Romania, Scotland, Slovenia, Greece, Serbia, Albania, Norway, Montenegro, Israel, Bulgaria, Finland, Cyprus, Estonia, Lithuania

Teams will be split into one group of three and three groups of four. The four group winners are promoted to League B, with the four sides that finish bottom relegated to League D for the 2020 edition.

The top four-ranked League C teams that do not qualify for UEFA EURO 2020 will enter play-offs in March 2020, with one finals place on offer.

League D

Azerbaijan, FYR Macedonia, Belarus, Georgia, Armenia, Latvia, Faroe Islands, Luxembourg, Kazakhstan, Moldova, Liechtenstein, Malta, Andorra, Kosovo, San Marino, Gibraltar

Teams will be split into four groups of four, with the four group winners promoted to League C for the 2020 edition.

The top four-ranked League D teams that do not qualify for UEFA EURO 2020 will enter play-offs in March 2020, with one finals place on offer.
    How were the line-ups were determined

UEFA Nations League explained
    The 55 participating teams were split according to their position in the UEFA National Team Coefficient Rankings following the end of the European Qualifiers for the 2018 FIFA World Cup (as per 11 October 2017; play-off results will not be included).

League A includes the 12 top-ranked teams. The next 12 teams are in League B, the next 15 in League C and the remaining 16 in League D.
    UEFA Nations League calendar

Group stage draw*: 24 January 2018 – SwissTech Convention Centre, Lausanne
    Matchday 1: 6–8 September 2018
    Matchday 2: 9–11 September 2018
    Matchday 3: 11–13 October 2018
    Matchday 4: 14–16 October 2018
    Matchday 5: 15–17 November 2018
    Matchday 6: 18–20 November 2018
    Finals draw: early December 2018
    Finals: 5–9 June 2019
    UEFA EURO 2020 play-off draw: 22 November 2019
    UEFA EURO 2020 play-offs: 26–31 March 2020

Teams in three-sided groups will play on four of the six matchdays.

*Note that Russia and Ukraine will not be drawn into the same group. The same applies to Armenia and Azerbaijan if the current UEFA Executive Committee decisions still apply when the draw is made.

2509133_w1.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I must confess I'm still not entirely sure what the point of this is?

Is it just a replacement for friendlies with an extra chance of qualifying for Euro 2020?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Why are they trying to fix something that is not broken?

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

Why are they having the Euro 2020 qualifiers draw on the 2nd of December and this in January, if the qualifiers aren't starting until March 2019? Seems nuts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

PhilipsR wrote: »
    Why are they having the Euro 2020 qualifiers draw on the 2nd of December and this in January, if the qualifiers aren't starting until March 2019? Seems nuts.

There is still the normal Qualification process for the Euros, this is to replaces friendlies mostly for the lower ranked teams. Those is groups of 3 will still be able to play friendlies.

Looking at the system it would be easy to fix to get an easier change of qualification by getting yourself relegated to League D.

It will also stop countries like Norway and Switzerland not playing games outside of World Cup and Euro Qualifiers to boost their FIFA rankings

The Group draw for the Qualifiers is on December 2nd 2018

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,919 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

GLaDOS wrote: »
    I must confess I'm still not entirely sure what the point of this is?

Is it just a replacement for friendlies with an extra chance of qualifying for Euro 2020?

TV money made from the group A games I would imagine is a huge part of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I like it, in theory.

Will see how it goes before I make my final judgement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

I'm not so sure I like it. When's a team supposed to experiment if there's always competitiveness to games? Will probably lead to less young players being blooded at countries.

Also rules out chances of glamour friendlies against non European sides. Who doesn't like when a Brazil or Argentina come to town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

I like the sound of it, looking forward to seeing how it works

Rekop dog wrote: »
    I'm not so sure I like it. When's a team supposed to experiment if there's always competitiveness to games? Will probably lead to less young players being blooded at countries.

Also rules out chances of glamour friendlies against non European sides. Who doesn't like when a Brazil or Argentina come to town.

Does not rule out those kind of games.

There is 6 match days. Teams in Leagues A, B and most of C will only have 4 games to play being in a group of 3 teams, leaving 2 match days for friendlies

Could have a group or Ireland, Wales and Northern Ireland that would be fun

Does not rule out those kind of games.

There is 6 match days. Teams in Leagues A, B and most of C will only have 4 games to play being in a group of 3 teams, leaving 2 match days for friendlies

Yeah but you wouldn't know your availability prior to the mini leagues so you can hardly schedule a friendly match when you could be playing in the playoff.

It also seem for once being ranked higher is working against us. You'd want to be in the lower league here for easier chance of qualification.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

I'll miss the Oman glamour friendlies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Took me until almost the end of it to figure out that this wasn't replacing the qualifiers system. I'm guessing if there's places up for grabs via this then only the top teams in the qualifiers are going to get through?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Fair enough if it gives teams like Malta a chance to qualify for a 24 team Euros, but surely the same rules won't apply for qualifying for Qatar 2022?

Yeah but you wouldn't know your availability prior to the mini leagues so you can hardly schedule a friendly match when you could be playing in the playoff.

It also seem for once being ranked higher is working against us. You'd want to be in the lower league here for easier chance of qualification.

Here is the international calendar for 2018 example is if Match Day 5 & 6 were for those groups with 4 teams this is how it would work out.

But UEFA may decide to split out the games for Leagues A, B and C so teams will know their schedule in Jan when the draw is made given them plenty of time to arrange 2 friendly games after the World Cup
    Jan

None

Feb
    None

March
    2 Games - Friendlies

April
    None

May
    None

June - July
    World Cup

Aug
    None

Sept
    2 Games - National League games

Oct
    2 Games - National League games

Nov
    2 Games - National League games for League C and D with 4 teams per group and friendly games for League A, B and C with 3 teams per group

Dec
    None

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Jayop wrote: »
    Took me until almost the end of it to figure out that this wasn't replacing the qualifiers system. I'm guessing if there's places up for grabs via this then only the top teams in the qualifiers are going to get through?

Next comp is the Euros (and has no auto host qualifiers this time) so they've lots of places to play with. 10 groups of 5/6 with the top 2 going through seems to be the plan. Remaining 4 places from the Nations League.

Be interesting to see if they continue it into 2022 qualifying, having 4 of UEFAs 13 places coming from this would make the 'real' qualification very difficult.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

I think the Top 2 still go through like the last Euros. But instead of the 8 3rd placed teams battling out for the remaining 4 places. Those 4 places will now go to the best placed team in each division (who obviously haven't qualified via the traditional way). I think that's how it works

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

I'm nearly certain Sky Sports have the UK and Ireland rights to the whole thing. Although will our games come under the protected free to air rights?
    Friendly games aren't covered so I'm not sure.

There will be 10 groups of either five or 6 teams for the Qualifier with the winners and runners up going through giving 20 teams

The draw for these Qualifiers will be after the Nations league group stage.

A winner from each mini group in League A will be placed in a group of 5 for the Qualifiers.

Now the fun part starts

For the final 4 spots for the Euros there is 16 team a play off

All group winners will be the 4 teams to take the spot, however if already qualified it will pass down to the next best ranked team in that league but if a league does not have 4 teams then the next best team from the lower league not in that league 4 teams will move up to the other league play off route.

So say 9 teams from League A qualify in the normal process and they all won the group the leave 3 teams in League A play off route.

UEFA they will look at League B, say if 6 teams here Qualify in the normal route that leaves 6 teams still in the play offs, if any of them won there nations league group they will be in the play offs so say 3 of those 6 did win their groups in the league that leaves 3 teams and 1 spot to fill in league A and one spot to fill in league b.

So of the 3 teams the team with the best nations league record will move into the play offs for league b and the next team into the play offs for league A.

This is done for all leagues until there are 16 teams.

There will be a 2 single leg semi finals and the team with the better record will be at home for each semi final and the final will be a draw to see who hosts it

Badabing wrote: »
    I'm nearly certain Sky Sports have the UK and Ireland rights to the whole thing. Although will our games come under the protected free to air rights?

I think as they don't lead to a major tournament they wouldn't fall under the protected rights rule.

It's actually gonna be harder for us to qualify this time than last Euros. Finishing in 3rd and facing a two leg playoff against another 3rd place side is definitely easier than winning league B even if the better already qualified sides are taken out.

The fact two leagues below us take away two of the qualification places makes it harder.

• Advertisement

Next comp is the Euros (and has no auto host qualifiers this time) so they've lots of places to play with. 10 groups of 5/6 with the top 2 going through seems to be the plan. Remaining 4 places from the Nations League.

Be interesting to see if they continue it into 2022 qualifying, having 4 of UEFAs 13 places coming from this would make the 'real' qualification very difficult.

Very difficult indeed if there's only 13 odd places.

I think as they don't lead to a major tournament they wouldn't fall under the protected rights rule.

Isn't it the case that they do actually lead to a tournament?

I still think it'll come under sky sports but there's an avenue there to qualify.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭bren2001

They won't run it for the World Cup, what are they gonna do? send San Marino or a team of their calibre? Makes sense for the Euros but would be lunacy for the World Cup.

Isn't it the case that they do actually lead to a tournament?

I still think it'll come under sky sports but there's an avenue there to qualify.

For two teams I think after the Euro qualifiers finish the worst place finishers in the qualifiers face the winners of group D or something like that.

I just don't see TV channels on these Islands using up their Free To Air choices for a couple of games.

bren2001 wrote: »
    They won't run it for the World Cup, what are they gonna do? send San Marino or a team of their calibre? Makes sense for the Euros but would be lunacy for the World Cup.

Since when have the actions of a sports governing body had to make sense.?

Since when have the actions of a sports governing body had to make sense.?

When $$$ is involved. Makes financial sense to get the bigger teams there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

The top four-ranked League D teams that do not qualify for UEFA EURO 2020 will enter play-offs in March 2020, with one finals place on offer.
    So the easiest way to qualify for a European championships is to get relegated to League D. Also if you get the 1 League D team in your group in the Euro's then your essentially already qualified for the last 16.

I can just predict the mass confusion among the non logistics geeks when it comes to playoffs.

"So you're telling me we didn't win our league B mini group but we're now playing in a league A playoff?"

Badabing wrote: »
    Friendly games aren't covered so I'm not sure.

UEFA sell games now as a central package.

For the Nations League Sky have the rights for every game including England where as for World Cup and Euro qualifiers Sky can't show England as that is on ITV plus one other game not including Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland.

RTE have the Irish rights as the Nations League was also sold as part of the contract for 2018 and 2022 World Cup qualifiers and 2020 Euro qualifiers.

• Advertisement

bren2001 wrote: »
    When $$$ is involved. Makes financial sense to get the bigger teams there.

True. They could tweet it to have the group winners in normal qualifying go through and keep the remaining few places for this but have them in seeded games among all the leagues. That would probably ensure all the top teams go through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

UEFA sell games now as a central package.

For the Nations League Sky have the rights for every game including England where as for World Cup and Euro qualifiers Sky can't show England as that is on ITV plus one other game not including Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland.

RTE have the Irish rights as the Nations League was also sold as part of the contract for 2018 and 2022 World Cup qualifiers and 2020 Euro qualifiers.

RTÉ doesn't have the rights to the Nations League, as far as I know the Irish rights haven't been awarded yet. RTÉ won the rights to the 2018 and 2022 qualifiers and the Euro2020 finals - https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2017/0823/899383-rte-remains-the-home-of-irish-soccer/

The qualifiers tender document hasn't been updated to reflect the award to RTÉ yet, hence my assumption the Nations League part of it hasn't been finalised while the Euro2020 document has been updated to reflect RTÉ being awarded the rights

Media rights sales European Qualifiers and Nations League 2018-22 - http://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles/Download/Publications/uefaorg/Marketing/02/26/64/82/2266482_DOWNLOAD.pdf
    UEFA EURO 2020 media rights sales - http://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles/Download/Publications/uefaorg/Marketing/02/18/17/98/2181798_DOWNLOAD.pdf

As you rightly say Sky have the Nations League rights for the UK - http://www.uefa.com/insideuefa/about-uefa/administration/marketing/news/newsid=2437632.html, I wonder they'll also have the Irish right as they're not classed as a designated event

Nations League Explanatory videos, Q&As and logos can be found here - https://uefa.app.box.com/v/UNL, the link will be disabled on Nov 14

Link is from the Media Release - http://www.uefa.com/insideuefa/mediaservices/mediareleases/newsid=2501736.html

Regulations of the UEFA Nations League, 2018/19 published recently - http://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles/Download/Regulations/uefaorg/Regulations/02/50/54/37/2505437_DOWNLOAD.pdf

UNL_line_up.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

TV money made from the group A games I would imagine is a huge part of it.

It could be fairly tough for England to qualify or certainly much tougher.

Isn't a problem with this system the relegation aspect? You could go down a group, face much easier opposition and have a much better chance of qualifying in the end..

dfx- wrote: »
    It could be fairly tough for England to qualify or certainly much tougher.

Isn't a problem with this system the relegation aspect? You could go down a group, face much easier opposition and have a much better chance of qualifying in the end.

A lot of people seem to focus on this. Yes, you have an easier Nations League to qualify through against easier opposition, there is only 1 place up for grabs in your league. As you move down the leagues, you also lose seeding positions for the conventional qualifiers giving yourself a harder group to get out of.

Id prefer to stay in as high a league as possible, maintain my FIFA ranking as high as possible and give myself the best set of qualifiers possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Its going to be like the leagues in Actua Soccer 2 :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I'm just a huge fan of the idea generally and I think that in time we'll wonder how we lived without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Agree that this is a really positive change and makes Friendly matches way more interesting.

The format is a little confusing, especially regarding the playoffs for the last 4 spots for Euro 2020, but I think I understand it.

As I understand, one minnow team (almost certainly Georgia who are the strongest in group D) will be guaranteed a place at Euro 2020 as they will contest the 4 team playoff amongst themselves, correct?

I think this is a good idea, gives them real incentive and it's only one spot out of 24.

The format explanation reminded me of this classic Alan Partridge sketch:

I couldn't be more against it the more I think about it. It's too open to abuse.

For example Iceland could lose every nations cup group game, they could lose every game in their qualification group also and they're almost guaranteed a playoff spot in this. Not only that they'll likely face mainly weaker performing league B sides in that playoff as most of league A would have qualified. That's a farcical situation imo.

It's like one of those game shows where the points for the final round eclipse the combination of all other rounds making everything that happened before completely futile.

Morzadec wrote: »
    Agree that this is a really positive change and makes Friendly matches way more interesting.

The format is a little confusing, especially regarding the playoffs for the last 4 spots for Euro 2020, but I think I understand it.

As I understand, one minnow team (almost certainly Georgia who are the strongest in group D) will be guaranteed a place at Euro 2020 as they will contest the 4 team playoff amongst themselves, correct?

I think this is a good idea, gives them real incentive and it's only one spot out of 24.

The format explanation reminded me of this classic Alan Partridge sketch:

Yes there will be a weaker team in 2020 most likely Georgia. Yes a team could open it up to abuse to try and get relegated to a lower league or lose games to play teams in the play, but it also fixes those teams who avoid playing friendlies to boost their seedings. We will just have to see how it plays out

Losing those games to get into a lower pool sounds like an easy way to qualify, but it would also have a terrible effect on your FIFA standings which would put you in a much tougher group for the World Cup qualifiers so that's no good.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Correct me if I'm wrong, but getting relegated doesn't get you into play off for Euro 2020. It gets you only into the lower tier for the next running of the nation's cup. The top four teams get promoted AND get into the play offs.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but getting relegated doesn't get you into play off for Euro 2020. It gets you only into the lower tier for the next running of the nation's cup. The top four teams get promoted AND get into the play offs.

I think so yeah. A team getting relagated on purpose would only be doing it for the long game. Perhaps getting relegated in a WC qualifying set of years and trying to get promoted in the Euro's years would be a decent tactic, albeit disappointing.

UNL_Euro2020_Qualifying.jpg

http://www.uefa.com/uefanationsleague/news/newsid=2079553.html#/

But if you're in relegation places in league A and possibly B you'll still get in playoffs as most of the teams from those league would have qualified through normal way.

Play offs will be made of teams who have not already qualified through the main group phase.

This is for 2020 we do not know yet how it will work for a World Cup qualification.

Yes you could be relegated in League A to League B and be in the play offs for League A because those teams in League A are already qualified.

There is only a mix of leagues in the play offs when there is not 4 teams left to fill a void and you can only go upwards it seems.

It will be not be the best team from League B going into the League A play offs.

League B playoffs will be made of the best teams not qualified from the main phase. Then the next better teams will fill any spots in League A.

No point moving those with a better record up to be punished in a higher playoff if you catch my drift.

Top 4 teams will only contest the play offs if they have not already qualified, if they have qualified then the next best ranked team will fill their spot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭recyclebin

All 12 from Group A are likely to qualify for the Euros automatically. Id say at least another 4 from group b will too. So does that mean the remaining 8 from group b will likely get a playoff spot regardless? Could you be relagated from b and still qualify for a playoff?

recyclebin wrote: »
    All 12 from Group A are likely to qualify for the Euros automatically. Id say at least another 4 from group b will too. So does that mean the remaining 8 from group b will likely get a playoff spot regardless? Could you be relagated from b and still qualify for a playoff?

Yes and yes, we technically might not have to get a single point in either qualification route(nations cup or normal) to make a playoff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

Is it possible all the team in League A qualify via the normal system?

24 teams from 55 are going to qualify. Really regardless of the set up, there's no excuses for Ireland not getting into the next Euros.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2020_qualifying
    The format will remain largely the same, although only 20 of the 24 spots for the finals tournament will be decided from the main qualifying process, leaving four spots still to be decided.

Those 4 spots are obviously for this system.

There will be 10 groups, 5 of 5 and 5 of 6. We're 19th now in the standings and will hopefully improve before the draw so we should be in pot 2. With the top two in each pot going straight in we really should be getting straight through.

Like recyclebin said, the top 12 teams will most likely qualify automatically as winners or runners up from the 10 groups and most of the League B teams should also qualify. Realistically there's only 3/4 teams that will be in League 3 that will have any hope of getting through.

syngindub wrote: »
    Is it possible all the team in League A qualify via the normal system?

It's possible that all League A and 8 from the 12 in League B will qualify.

In fact it's most likely that that or very close to that will happen.

• Advertisement
Advertisement