Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UEFA Nations League

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Beasty wrote: »
    Thought they had changed the rule last season - if it's a penalty no need to send off.

Only if there is an attempt to make a legal tackle, which pulling somebody back isn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Can't tackle any more. Nothing wrong with that from Maguire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Beasty wrote: »
    Thought they had changed the rule last season - if it's a penalty no need to send off. Having said that he was very lucky either way
    Nope. That was a red card.

That's another poor decision. Definite yellow card for Busquets, grabbing Sterling around the waist and pulling him back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Raheem Sterling has turned into some player.

SlickRic wrote: »
    Raheem Sterling has turned into some player.
    He's been fantastic for us, but the pressure of playing for England seemed to badly affect him. Hopefully, tonight will be the kick up the hole he needs on England duty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

This has been a great watch.

Game being played at some pace with huge commitment from both sides.

Some change from the Aviva

At what point did the 'waving the imaginary card' become ok and not a bookable offence.

3 of them charging at the ref waving them, plus the Spanish bench waving away.

Can't tackle any more. Nothing wrong with that from Maguire.

Well he was off the ground and out of control

But a decade ago that was John Terry's stock in trade

• Advertisement

England far, far, far too deep here.

They're lucky that Rashford and Sterling are playing absolute blinders making things out of nothing as it's cleared.

At what point did the 'waving the imaginary card' become ok and not a bookable offence.

Hmmmm

I think Spain can feel hard done by where the officiating is concerned

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Morata has some serious bad luck.

This Rashford lad is handy. Who does he play for?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Pickford getting away with poor keeping there

I hate seeing that sh1te.

• Advertisement

This is the biggest result of Southgate's reign. Beats anything done at the World Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

It's hard to believe that this and Ireland v Denmark is the same sport,really great 90mins

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

eagle eye wrote:
    In bigger news Luxembourg are 1-0 up on San Marino. David Turpel with the goal.

3-0 now, looks like they'll top their group as well which is great for them

It's hard to believe that this and Ireland v Denmark is the same sport,really great 90mins
    Not a fair comparison, is it? Spain and even England are several steps above Ireland and/or the Danes.

Should have been 3-3 with that penalty decision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,925 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Well that ref can't be called a homer anyway.

Take nothing away from England the were electric in the first half.

However the ref was terrible in that second half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Something very likeable about England and Southgate. Refreshing to see the manager give youth a chance rather than picking the lads with the big ego's.

Great result for Southgate which will give him and his side a lot of confidence for the future. Spain can consider themselves unlucky as they didn't have a lot of breaks in this game, but when you concede 3 goals in the first 45 minutes you can't have too many complaints.

Very enjoyable match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Really enjoyable game. One of the better international games. Love the media going overboard on that English performance and win.

Spain had a few chances before England got there goals. Well created and taken it must be said. Then Spain battered England for the second half and had a stone wall penalty turned down.

Hopefully Ireland can play with high intensity tomorrow and we have an up tempo game

Bosnia have beaten NI 2-0 thanks to two Dzeko goals. He's now scored 55 goals in 97 games. That's some record.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Hopefully Ireland can play with high intensity tomorrow and we have an up tempo game

Sorry, but....

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

eagle eye wrote: »
    In bigger news Luxembourg are 1-0 up on San Marino.
    David Turpel with the goal.

Not big news at all since Luxembourg are top of there league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

I like Mick McCarthy as an analyst.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Luxembourg are a decent side, they've won a lot of games in the last few years. They have wins against Hungary, Georgia, Moldova and Belarus and draws with France, Senegal and Bulgaria.

I knew I'd seen Pickford somewhere before.....

61771bf3901901c8780fe01fc69c3040.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Bosnia have beaten NI 2-0 thanks to two Dzeko goals. He's now scored 55 goals in 97 games. That's some record.

As good as relegated to League C, they need Bosnia to beat Austria by a few goals and then beat Austria themselves. Third seeds is still a good position for them seeing as where Michael O'Neill has taken them from to where they've been the last two years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,925 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Southgate is a very likeable guy.

Southgate is a very likeable guy.
    Doesn't appear to be any arrogance about him. As Tim "nice but dim" would say; a bloody good bloke, actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

This is the biggest result of Southgate's reign. Beats anything done at the World Cup.

Really??? I wouldn't think so. Its one game against Spain who havent been no where as good as they were a few years ago. Have no doubt it is a great confidence builder for England but we all know how they like to implode.

Tomorrow the media will make them out as favourites for the Euros, when they struggle in a game against lower opposition they will be crucified. They cant win when it comes to the media therefore imo altho this is a good result for them it doesnt trump their world cup. This will be forgotten whereas the semi final of the world cup 2018 will live on for another 50years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Should have been 3-3 with that penalty decision.

They might not have scored a third if they scored the penalty.

Fair enough, should have been a penalty but this should have been 3-3 makes no sense.
    Who knows, it could have been 4-3 ! or 4-2 ! Or they may not have scored the penalty!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Esse85 wrote: »
    Something very likeable about England and Southgate. Refreshing to see the manager give youth a chance rather than picking the lads with the big ego's.

The England team is quite likeable but there is something about Pickford that I don't like, he seems like a bit of a mouthy ****er...even the way he takes his kick outs, it really grates me.

alta stare wrote: »
    Really??? I wouldn't think so. Its one game against Spain who havent been no where as good as they were a few years ago. Have no doubt it is a great confidence builder for England but we all know how they like to implode.

Tomorrow the media will make them out as favourites for the Euros, when they struggle in a game against lower opposition they will be crucified. They cant win when it comes to the media therefore imo altho this is a good result for them it doesnt trump their world cup. This will be forgotten whereas the semi final of the world cup 2018 will live on for another 50years.

Spain came into this game in great form. Walloped the World Cup finalists Croatia 6-0, beat England at Wembley - where England hadn't lost a competitive game in 11 years - and also beat Wales 4-1, who admittedly were missing Bale but don't tend to get spanked like that. Spain's only defeat in 27 games was the penalty shootout loss to Russia, and they hadn't been beaten at home in 38 competitive games (Greece the last ones to get a win in 2003).

Thinking back to the World Cup, I don't think England did anything remarkable. They had a kind run and were deservedly beaten by the quality sides they faced. I didn't get the Southgate hype.

Tonight was a different story. This was a serious result against a serious side.

I think they're entitled to be excited. They've some superb talents emerging and morale looks to be high. They have to be considered a decent shout to win the Euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

England IMO are the probably favourites for Euro 2020.

From the semi final its a home tournament for them. Its hard to see them not winning it should they get that far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

From the semi final its a home tournament for them. Its to see them not winning it should they get that far.

England favourites over France and Belgium? Or even Germany and Spain? Not sure about that. Home advantage or not, I think the above squads are better and the cream usually rises to the top. I do think they'll make a major tournament final by 2030 though.

• Advertisement

From the semi final its a home tournament for them. Its to see them not winning it should they get that far.

Thats the spirit :pac:

They might not have scored a third if they scored the penalty.

Fair enough, should have been a penalty but this should have been 3-3 makes no sense.
    Who knows, it could have been 4-3 ! or 4-2 ! Or they may not have scored the penalty!

They would have crumbled under the pressure, that's my own opinion anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Spain came into this game in great form. Walloped the World Cup finalists Croatia 6-0, beat England at Wembley - where England hadn't lost a competitive game in 11 years - and also beat Wales 4-1, who admittedly were missing Bale but don't tend to get spanked like that. Spain's only defeat in 27 games was the penalty shootout loss to Russia, and they hadn't been beaten at home in 38 competitive games (Greece the last ones to get a win in 2003).

Thinking back to the World Cup, I don't think England did anything remarkable. They had a kind run and were deservedly beaten by the quality sides they faced. I didn't get the Southgate hype.

Tonight was a different story. This was a serious result against a serious side.

I think they're entitled to be excited. They've some superb talents emerging and morale looks to be high. They have to be considered a decent shout to win the Euros.

Yeah i suppose looking at the last few Spanish results it is a big scalp for England. I feel Spain werent on their usual form at the WC and England got to the semis albeit and easy path but they still got there all the same. For me anyway i think they will take more heart and belief from the WC than beating Spain last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Great result for England and a great performance in the first half (didn't see the second) but very early to be calling them (or anyone for that matter) favourites for the Euros.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

I think the result is going to be hyped and they're very eager to get across the point that it was a competitive game. While technically I suppose it was, I don't think these games have the same sort of tension that you'd find in a real qualifier for example, and I'd wait for England to do it on a bigger stage against the same caliber of opposition before I'd get too excited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I think the result is going to be hyped and they're very eager to get across the point that it was a competitive game. While technically I suppose it was, I don't think these games have the same sort of tension that you'd find in a real qualifier for example, and I'd wait for England to do it on a bigger stage against the same caliber of opposition before I'd get too excited.

Whatever way you look at it though, Spain hadn't lost a home game in over a decade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

~Rebel~ wrote:
    Whatever way you look at it though, Spain hadn't lost a home game in over a decade.

England and Italy both have long unbeaten home records too despite being ropey for much of the last decade. Considering the pretty low standard of international football it's not really a boast in 2018

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Match Day 4 Results
    Poland 0 V 1 Italy
    Russia 2 V 0 Turkey
    Israel 2 V 0 Albania
    Romania 0 V 0 Serbia
    Lithuania 1 V 4 Montenegro
    Azerbaijan 1 V 1 Malta
    Faroe Islands 1 V 1 Kosovo
    Iceland 1 V 2 Switzerland
    Spain 2 V 3 England
    Bosina and Heregovina 2 V 0 Northern Ireland
    Estonia 3 V 3 Hungary
    Finland 2 V 0 Greece
    Belarus 0 V 0 Moldova
    Luxembourg 3 V 0 San Marino
    France 2 V 1 Germany
    Ukraine 1 V 0 Czech Republic
    Ireland 0 V 1 Wales
    Norway 1 V 0 Bulgaria
    Slovenia 1 V 1 Cyprus
    Kazakhstan 4 V 0 Andorra
    Latvia 0 V 3 Georgia
    Armenia 4 V 0 FYR Macedonia
    Gibraltar 2 V 1 Liechtenstein

Promoted to League C
    Georgia

Relegated to League B
    Iceland
    Poland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

ERG89 wrote: »
    England and Italy both have long unbeaten home records too despite being ropey for much of the last decade. Considering the pretty low standard of international football it's not really a boast in 2018

England's unbeaten home record currently stands a 1 game. And before that, it was nearly 2 years from when they lost to the Dutch in 2016. Italy have managed alllmost 3 years.

Sure, those runs are decent... but Spain went 15 years. 15!
    It shows that they take every home match seriously. Ending that streak is a great achievement whatever way you look at it.

Diers comments about putting a marker on Ramos are beyond sad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

irishman86 wrote: »
    Diers comments about putting a marker on Ramos are beyond sad

He's a pretty limited player.I suppose he has to brag about that as he has little else in his game.

• Advertisement
Advertisement