Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UEFA Nations League

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Berserker wrote: »
    Didn't hear him mentioned for large parts of the game.
    How he got MOTM is a mystery to me. Much as I am obviously not a big fan of Lingard (;)), he did more in the short time he was on the pitch than Kane did all afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Blow the whistle ref! :D

and he has.

Are Spain relegated? I dunno how this infernal competition works.

edit - it's Croatia. What a fall from grace ;)

You mean for you from the all high and mighty attitude of who has won to then having to admit not knowing a thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

This competition has actually interested me more than I thought it would. From champions to relegation in 20 minutes, and vice versa for England

Yeah, it's considerably better than friendlies. Been some excellent and fully competitive games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Surely this madness has to end - 5 teams or four certainly not three, there really is no room for error. IS VAR used? Didn't hear it mentioned on radio (I do not have pay TV and didn't even realise this was on TV3/Virgin1)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

blueser wrote: »
    How he got MOTM is a mystery to me. Much as I am obviously not a big fan of Lingard (;)), he did more in the short time he was on the pitch than Kane did all afternoon.

Didn't realise that. Kane wasn't in that game for the majority of it. Crazy call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

5pm kickoffs

League B

Northern Ireland v Austria. Dead rubber. Only ranking positions at stake which may help gain playoff spots depending on how the teams above them fare in the actual qualifiers.

League D

Moldova v Luxembourg & San Marino v Belarus. Belarus only need a draw to earn top spot. In the unlikely event that they lose Luxembourg need a win to overtake them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

A couple of rounds of the Nations League and everyone will be onboard. Any competition that involves promotion/relegation will have a hard time not succeeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    A couple of rounds of the Nations League and everyone will be onboard. Any competition that involves promotion/relegation will have a hard time not succeeding.

Unless its US sports. I know of no promotion or relegation there. Australia I think is the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Been a decent competition alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Teams:
    NI XI: Carson, McAuley, Evans, Saville, McGinn, Davis, Boyce, Evans, Dallas, Jones, Smith.

Austria XI: Lindner, Ulmer, Dragovic, Hinteregger, Ilsanker, Alaba, Gregoritsch, Baumgartlinger, Lainer, Lazaro, Schlager.

Pity there's nothing at stake in this one besides pride. Arnautovic is on the bench.

I reckon Lazaro will cause NI's left side a good few problems, but they looked good against us a few days ago so I wouldn't be shocked if this is a home win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Blow the whistle ref! :D

and he has.

Are Spain relegated? I dunno how this infernal competition works.

edit - it's Croatia. What a fall from grace ;)

Groups work the same in all competitions on fairness. Spain were 2 points clear of England and Croatia before the game. No result could relegate them,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I've not really been playing attention as it's hard to see games, being on Sky and mainly Virgin Sport

ITV really missed a trick by not looking to get the rights - I expect they thought it was a non event as I did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Right after been away all weekend.

Match Day 5 Results
    Belgium 2 V 0 Iceland
    Croatia 3 V 2 Spain
    Austria 0 V 0 Bosina and Heregovina
    Greece 1 V 0 Finland
    Hungary 2 V 0 Estonia
    San Marino 0 V 1 Moldova
    Luxembourg 0 V 2 Belarus
    Netherlands 2 V 0 France
    Slovakia 4 V 1 Ukraine
    Wales 1 V 2 Denmark
    Cyprus 1 V 1 Bulgaria
    Slovenia 1 V 1 Norway
    Kazakhstan 1 V 1 Latvia
    Andorra 1 V 1 Georgia
    Liechtenstein 0 V 2 FYR Macedonia
    Gibraltar 2 V 6 Armenia
    Italy 0 V 0 Portugal
    Turkey 0 V 1 Sweden
    Albania 0 V 4 Scotland
    Serbia 2 V 1 Montenegro
    Romania 3 V 0 Lithuania
    Azerbaijan 2 V 0 Faroe Islands
    Malta 0 V 5 Kosovo

League A
    Into the Finals
    Portugal
    England

Relegated
    Germany
    Iceland
    Poland
    Croaita

League B
    Promoted

Ukraine
    Bosina and Herzegovina
    Denmakr

Relegated
    Turkey
    Northern Ireland
    Ireland

League C
    Promoted

Relegated
    Estonia
    Lithuania

League D
    Promoted

Georgia

2020 Pots
    UNL Pot

England, Portugal

UNL Pot/Pot 1
    Belgium, France, Netherlands, Switzerland

Pot 1
    Italy, Spain

Pot 1/Pot 2
    Croatia, Germany, Poland

Pot 2
    Austria, Bosina, Denmark, Iceland, Russia, Sweden. Ukraine, Wales

Pot 2/Pot 3
    Czech Republic, Slovika

Pot 3
    Finland, Northern Ireland, Ireland, Serbia, Turkey

Pot 3/Pot 4
    Bulgaria, Greece, Hungary, Israel, Norway, Romania, Scotland

Pot 4
    Albania, Cyprus, Estonia, Lithuania, Montenegro, Slovenia

Pot 4/Pot 5
    Belarus, Georgia, Kosovo, Macedonia

Pot 5
    Armenia, Azerbaijan, Luxembourg, Moldova

Pot 5/Pot 6
    Andorra, Faroe Islands, Gibraltar, Kazakhstan, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Malta

Pot 6
    San Marino

Austria lead 1-0 after Schlager's low strike.

Update: 1-1 now as Evans equalises with the aid of a deflection.

I reckon Lazaro will cause NI's left side a good few problems, but they looked good against us a few days ago so I wouldn't be shocked if this is a home win.

Lazaro wins it in the dying seconds with a beautiful strike. Great talent.

• Advertisement

Lovely finish by Lazaro with all the time in the world to win it 1-2 for Austria.

Moldova and Luxembourg draw 1-1 and Belarus confirm promotion with a 0-2 win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Lazaro wins it in the dying seconds with a beautiful strike. Great talent.
    Smartarse!
    ;)

7.45 games

League A

Switzerland v Belgium. 1-0, 2-1 or any win by 2+ goals needed for Switzerland to take top spot from Belgium.

League C

Greece v Estonia & Hungary v Finland. Two dead rubbers. Finland already promoted and Estonia relegated.

Switzerland vs Belgium coming up at 7.45. If I heard the commentators earlier correctly, the Swiss need to win 1-0 or 2-1 or by more than a single goal to advance. I guess because if it were 3-2 the Belgians would advance on having more away goals. Teams:
    Switzerland XI: Sommer; Mbabu, Elvedi, Klose, Rodriguez; Fernandes, Xhaka, Freuler, Zuber; Shaqiri, Seferovic.

Belgium XI: Courtois; Alderweireld, Kompany, Boyata; Meunier, Tielemans, Witsel, Chadli; T. Hazard, Mertens, E. Hazard.

A lot of quality on show in this game. Akanji missing for the Swiss is a blow. Looking forward to seeing how Elvedi does against this quality attack. Mbabu has impressed me this season when I've seen him. Surprised Tielemans gets the nod as he's been woeful for Monaco.

Always risky to bet against the Swiss as they're usually capable of punching above their weight, but can't see them getting the win with the Hazard brothers playing so well. I'll go 2-1 Belgium.

Thorgan Hazard gives Belgium the lead inside 90 seconds. Shocking moment for Elvedi.

• Advertisement

And Thorgan Hazard gets a second! Having a smashing season.

Mountain to climb for the Swiss now.

Conor McNamara: "I'm not sure if there's a third Hazard brother but if there is I'm sure he's being scouted."

There is: Kylian Hazard. He's on Chelsea's books and playing on loan in Belgium.

Lifeline for Switzerland as Mbabu wins a penalty. Chadli fouled him.

And Rodriguez scores. 2-1 now. Three goals after just over 25 minutes.

2-2! Seferovic! Nice cushioned header by Shaqiri.

Only 30 minutes gone. What a game this is.

And 2-2 now after barely half an hour. Swiss need to win by two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Conor McNamara: "I'm not sure if there's a third Hazard brother but if there is I'm sure he's being scouted."

There is: Kylian Hazard. He's on Chelsea's books and playing on loan in Belgium.

Surely a commentator should know there's a third Hazard brother. Really irks me when it's their full time job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

NDWC wrote: »
    Surely a commentator should know there's a third Hazard brother. Really irks me when it's their full time job.

Incredibly there's a teenage fourth brother Ethan who Chelsea are considering a swoop for.

3-2! Seferovic again!

WHAT A GAME.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

3-2.
    Boring meaningless friendlies.

3-2! Seferovic again!

WHAT A GAME.

Word for word what I was about to post.

I love this competition

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,924 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Switzerland 3 - 2 up now with a cracker.

Some comeback by the Swiss. After 15/20 minutes it looked like a case of how many for Belgium but they've completely switched off and Switzerland have been really good since the penalty.

Belgium still top as it stands but wouldn't rule anything out in the second half.

Has the feel of a Champions League 2nd leg tie. Both sides going for it and beautifully in the balance.

I see a lot of comments bemoaning international breaks but I think the standard is far higher than previous years.

Collie D wrote: »

Belgium still top as it stands but wouldn't rule anything out in the second half.

Can you or someone explain why this is? I'm guessing because of away goals in head to head matches.

What a chance for Seferovic. Almost the hat-trick.

Can you or someone explain why this is? I'm guessing because of away goals in head to head matches.

You're right. Other game between the sides was 2-1 so Belgium have more away goals than the Swiss.

4-2 Switzerland! Elvedi redeems himself for his mistake for Belgium's opener.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,924 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

4 - 2 to the Swiss

4-2. Lovely ball in for the header.

Advantage Switzerland now.

• Advertisement

Typical Martinez defending by Belgium.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Looking more and more likely now:

England
    Portugal
    Switzerland
    Holland

Are a lot of bigger nations having World Cup hangovers or what?

England
    Portugal
    Switzerland
    Holland

The standard of international football in Europe is very high at the moment. Don't forget the 4 World Cup semi-finalists were European. Bodes very well for Euro 2020. It could be a classic tournament with a very open field to win it.

5-2 Switzerland as Seferovic gets his hat-trick. Extraordinary.

5-2. Seferovic gets his hat-trick. And bar two goals for Belgium with in last five minutes that's them through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,283 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

5-2 Switzerland as Seferovic gets his hat-trick. Extraordinary.

Big upset for Belgium i would imagine. Would never of thought the Swiss to pull out a score like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

8NsdLvT.png?1

AidoEirE wrote: »
    Big upset for Belgium i would imagine. Would never of thought the Swiss to pull out a score like that.

Especially since the Swiss were beaten here by Qatar 1-0 only a few days ago.

I wonder what this result means for Martinez's future? Will this put his job in danger or has he earned enough goodwill from the World Cup?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Switzerland score more goals in one game then we have in the last year. Jaysus.

Especially since the Swiss were beaten here by Qatar 1-0 only a few days ago.

Think that was a second string team though

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

England
    Portugal
    Switzerland
    Holland

They just aren't that good in the majority. Spain haven't made a quarter final of a major tournament since 2012, Italy are fairly average as proven in the last 2 years & Germany are aging with not a lot of quality coming through. Between the 3 of them they haven't got 1 top striker. France have done ok bar the result last week but there is very little quality around now which makes Ireland's exploits kinda worse. It doesn't take a lot to get in any countries squad now. There just ain't the talent pool out there now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement