Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UEFA Nations League

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Teams for the biggest game tonight:
    Germany XI: Neuer; Sule, Hummels, Rudiger; Kehrer, Kimmich, Kroos, Schulz; Gnabry, Werner, Sane.

Netherlands XI: Cillessen: Tete, De Ligt, Van Dijk, Blind; De Roon, De Jong, Wijnaldum; Promes, Depay, Babel.

A point is enough for the Dutch to win the group and reach the final four. The Germans are already relegated but could spoil things for their rivals.

Should be a good game. I'm going to record it since I'll be punishing myself by watching Denmark/Ireland. Looking forward to how De Ligt, De Jong and Depay do in particular.

As good as the Dutch have been, I wouldn't write Germany off. I think they have enough quality there to get the win and they need to end their year on a positive note. I'll go for a 1-0 home win. Game is on Sky Sports Football and VM Sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Germans 2-0 up approaching half time.
    Would be a good all round result for everyone except Netherlands - good for the competition as WC winners France being in the finals would give it a certain cred which is useful in the first renewal.
    And good for everyone else as it would be enough to put Germany in Pot1 for the Euro2020 draw, rather than being a potential nightmare Pot 2 draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

FT 2-2 I jinxed that didn't I?

Dutch into the finals instead of France.

If Poland avoid defeat away to Portugal tomorrow then they'll be in Pot1 for the Euros with Germany in Pot2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Final night of this and few groups in the balance.

League A

Portugal v Poland. Portugal already in to semis and Poland relegated. Draw will be enough for them to be top seeds in qualifying at Germany's expense.

League B

Sweden v Russia. Sweden need the win to displace Russia and win the group.

League C Group 1

Scotland v Israel. Scotland need to win to top the group. Any other result and Israel will keep top spot.

League C Group 4

Montenegro v Romania & Serbia v Lithuania. A win for Serbia against already relegated Lithuania guarantees top spot. A draw or a loss will be enough if Romania don't win. Romania need to win and will take top spot if Serbia don't take three points.

League D

Kosovo v Azerbaijan & Malta v Faroe Islands. Azerbaijan need to win to top the group. Home win or draw and it's Kosovo who are promoted. The other game is for seedings. A draw or win for Faroes will move them from sixth seeds to fifth and Malta need to win for the same thing.

Watched a replay of Germany vs Netherlands and was impressed with the Dutch fightback. Thought Germany's Nico Schulz was the standout player, though Sane was also very good. Was a bit disappointed with De Ligt and De Jong who made a few mistakes. Thought Depay was alright, forcing a good save from Neuer in the second half.

I'll be surprised if Lowe is still in his post heading into next year after an historically bad World Cup, followed by relegation from their group in the Nations League. I know he brought them a World Cup but surely a change would do some good for all concerned.

I've enjoyed the Nations League but the final set of games tonight look a bit of an anti-climax.

Scotland vs Israel teams:
    Scotland XI: McGregor; Paterson, Bates, McKenna, Robertson; McGregor; Forrest, Armstrong, Christie, Fraser; Fletcher.

Israel XI: Harush; Yeini, Taha, Ben Harush; Dasa, Natcho, Peretz, Kayal, Twatha; Zahavi, Dabbur.

Scotland have had a tough couple of years so I hope they can get the win and promotion. I fancy Dabbur to cause problems for Israel. I've watched him play with Salzburg in the Europa League a few times and he's always impressed me. Reckon he'll be in a top 5 league in the near future. Aside from him and Brighton's Kayal, don't know about the rest of the Israeli side.

I'll say 2-1 Scotland.

WHAT A GOAL!

Kayal makes it 1-0 Israel.

https://twitter.com/SkyFootball/status/1064971235451432964

1-1. Deserved equaliser scored by Forrest.

2-1 Scotland! Nice break finished off by Forrest again.

Not a Nations League game but Wales have been beaten 1-0 by Albania, who Scotland beat 4-0 a few days ago. They started a fairly weakened team but Bale and Ramsey were brought on at the hour mark. Some worrying results for Giggs of late.

• Advertisement

Forrest hat-trick! 3-1 to Scotland.

3-2 now. Zahavi makes things a bit nervy for Scotland.

Full-Time. Scotland win 3-2 and are promoted. It was an anxious ending and McGregor had to make a good stop in the closing minutes but they just about deserved it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Few games I’ve seen over the last few days have shown this competition is worthwhile. So much better than meaningless friendly games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Full-Time. Scotland win 3-2 and are promoted. It was an anxious ending and McGregor had to make a good stop in the closing minutes but they just about deserved it.

Fair play to them.

Not the toughest group but three good wins out of four.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Match Day 6
    Switzerland 5 V 2 Belgium
    England 2 V 1 Croatia
    Northern Ireland 1 V 2 Austria
    Hungary 2 V 0 Finland
    Greece 1 V 0 Estonia
    San Marino 0 V 2 Belarus
    Moldova 1 V 1 Luxembourg
    Germany 2 V 2 Netherlands
    Czech Republic 1 V 0 Slovakia
    Denmark 0 V 0 Ireland
    Cyprus 0 V 2 Norway
    Bulgaria 1 V 1 Slovenia
    Andorra 0 V 0 Latvia
    Georgia 2 V 1 Kazakhstan
    Liechtenstein 2 V 2 Armenia
    FYR Macedonia 4 V 0 Gibraltar
    Portugal 1 V 1 Poland
    Sweden 2 V 0 Russia
    Scotland 3 V 2 Israel
    Serbia 4 V 1 Lithuania
    Montenegro 0 V 1 Romania
    Kosovo 4 V 0 Azerbijan
    Malta 1 V 1 Faroe Islands

League A
    Into the Finals

Portugal
    England
    Switzerland
    Netherlands

Relegated
    Germany
    Iceland
    Poland
    Croaita

League B
    Promoted

Ukraine
    Sweden
    Bosina and Herzegovina
    Denmark

Relegated
    Turkey
    Northern Ireland
    Ireland
    Slovakia

League C
    Promoted

Finland
    Norway
    Scotland
    Serbia

Relegated
    Estonia
    Lithuania
    Slovenia
    Cyprus

League D
    Promoted

Georgia
    Belarus
    FYR Macedonia
    Kosovo

Playoffs as they stand
    League A

Netherlands
    Switzerland
    Portugal
    England

League B
    Ukraine
    Bosina and Herzegovina
    Denmak
    Sweden

League C
    Finland
    Norway
    Scotland
    Serbia

League D
    Georgia
    Belarus
    FYR Macedonia
    Kosovo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I could be wrong here but don't Scotland have a play-off for the Euro 2020 finals in March via them winning their Nations League group? If they win that, what will be the point of them having been drawn for the Euro 2020 qualifiers if they already through? Or am I missing something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

siblers wrote: »
    I could be wrong here but don't Scotland have a play-off for the Euro 2020 finals in March via them winning their Nations League group? If they win that, what will be the point of them having been drawn for the Euro 2020 qualifiers if they already through? Or am I missing something

Playoffs aren't until March 2020 after "normal" qualifying has ended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I had assumed our being relegated meant we wouldn't be involved in the playoffs, but looking at the format again, we're actually quite likely to be in the playoffs. I love this competition :pac:

• Advertisement

siblers wrote: »

As it stands Scotland are in the play-offs, if they finish in the top 2 in their qualifying group for 2020 then they will not be in the play-offs and the next best ranked league C team will take their spot.

However if they fail in finishing in the top 2 in their qualifying group then they have a 2nd chance at qualifying via the play-offs

Semi Final Draw
    Portugal V Switzerland
    Netherlands V England

Semi-Finals
    Wednesday 5th June

Portugal V Switzerland - 7:45PM - Sky Sports Football / Main Event / Virgin Media Sport

Thursday 6th June
    Netherlands V England - 7:45PM - Sky Sports Football / Main Event / Virgin Media One

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Hearing they have slashed tickets for Portugal game by 50% as nobody is interested

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Virin are showing the England game. Really good test for us. Was mightily impressed by the Netherlands against Germany.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭spurshero

Do the winners of the nations league get entry into the euro s next year and if so what’s the point of the rest of there group game s

• Advertisement

spurshero wrote: »
    Do the winners of the nations league get entry into the euro s next year and if so what’s the point of the rest of there group game s

Nope they are just named winners of the Nations League

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,924 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€ £££££££££££££££ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Whichever currency you prefer that's the point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

You get a trophy and lots of cash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

No they don't. They're in the playoffs if they don't get through the regular qualifying (same as every other other NL group winner).

Teams for Portugal vs Switzerland.
    Portugal XI: Rui Patricio; Semedo, Pepe, Ruben Dias, Guerreiro; William Carvalho, Bruno Fernandes, Neves, Bernardo Silva; Joao Felix, Cristiano Ronaldo.

Switzerland XI: Sommer; Mbabu, Akanji, Schar, Ricardo Rodriguez; Freuler, Xhaka, Zakaria, Zuber; Shaqiri, Seferovic.

Game is live on Sky Sports Football and VM Sport from 7:45pm.

Not detecting a lot of interest in this but those sides look great. Portugal line-up looks particularly impressive. Keen to see how Felix gets on alongside Ronaldo. Bruno Fernandes attracting a lot of interest right now as well.

Like Mbabu and Akanji so pleased to see them getting a start. Sommer was one of the Bundesliga's best keepers and should be tested tonight. Zakaria had a good season with Gladbach and the midfield battle should be fun.

I'll go Portugal to edge it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Surprised no card given there, bit ridiculous

Think that should have been red.

Swiss have started well.

Think that should have been red.

Swiss have started well.

The Swiss tackle one? My comment was for the Portugese tackle, but Swiss lad after was very lucky

Mushy wrote: »
    The Swiss tackle one? My comment was for the Portugese tackle, but Swiss lad after was very lucky

Yeah the Swiss one. Didn't think there was contact at first but replay showed there was. Thought it would be red.

RONALDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Great free-kick. 1-0 Portugal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

If Schar could turn back time he wouldn't make that tackle:P

My eyes deceive me...Ronaldo scores a free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

sugarman wrote: »
    I actually can't remember the last time a Ronaldo free didn't hit the wall

World Cup group stage against Spain? Has he scored any frees for Juve this season?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

After four times you should probably start believing them! :p

Would like to see Anthony Lopes playing ahead of Rui Patricio who doesn't inspire much confidence.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    After four times you should probably start believing them! :p

Yikes! The rain has messed up the internet I'd say

Half-Time and Portugal lead by a goal but they're fortunate to be ahead. Seferovic with a nice effort that hit the crossbar.

Schar concedes pen.

Wow, he's changed his mind and given the pen to Switzerland for an earlier foul!

And Rodriguez makes it 1-1. Patricio got a hand to it but couldn't keep it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

What a swerve by the ref after some downright awful Swiss defending.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭omega man

Never a pen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 175 ✭✭yozico

Shocking decision

sugarman wrote: »
    This goes straight to penos if it stays the same, doesnt it?

I think there's Extra-Time.

• Advertisement

RONALDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Beautiful ball from Neves in the build-up.

Advertisement