Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UEFA Nations League

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

RONALDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HAT-TRICKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

Superb!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Bloody hell that's a great strike!

<edit> stream behind, meant his second - hsi third was a peach too though.

Wow 88 international goals now. That's insane.

sugarman wrote: »
    Brilliant from Ronaldo, still showing absolutely no signs of slowing down.

He's not been great in general play to be honest... he doesn't quite have the vigour he used to. But he's absolutely lethal when given a chance, and very sharp when he smells blood.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Swiss have controlled a lot of it but damn their strikers never look like scoring. The extreme opposite of Ronaldo.
    Their defence ain't great, even on paper. Akanji in particular has been useless any time I've had the misfortune to see him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,295 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Ronaldo has 53 match balls from his career so far, phenomenal.

3-1 it ends. Think it's good for the Nations League that Portugal advanced. Would have been very flat if the final was in Portugal and the hosts weren't involved. Portugal vs Netherlands or England are very tasty match-ups.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

https://twitter.com/seaningle/status/1136352284194025475?s=19

Trying to pull my best "surprised" face

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Quite possible a few of them are Pool and Spurs fans who have been on it for a few days and pub crawled their way from Madrid.

Hopefully Brexit will mean they can't travel as freely when it goes through. Fans like that add nothing to football. You'd have thought they learnt their lesson after the kicking they got off the Russians in France.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

The third goal was vintage Ronaldo like something from 5 or 6 years ago, what a player

• Advertisement

What is it with England fans? You have tens of thosuands of Spurs and Liverpool fans over in Madrid last week, and barely a peep. Then a fraction of that number of their countrymen in England shirts head abroad, and cause chaos.

Is the demographic of traveling national team fans just a totally different set than traveling club fans? Is it fans of lower league clubs and/or people just looking for an excuse to fight, seeing this as their opportunity to flex some patriotic/nationalistic muscle?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

...a 4 team Micky mouse finals and they're still at it.

No doubt they'll blame heavy handed Spanish police.

It's in Portugal so you obvs don't have a clue

The English police knew this would happen, warnings have been issued publicly this last while

Cheap flights, scumbags able to get a cheap holiday coked outta it, Always gonna be trouble. Feel sorry for the decent lads who follow England

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Quite possible a few of them are Pool and Spurs fans who have been on it for a few days and pub crawled their way from Madrid.

Hopefully Brexit will mean they can't travel as freely when it goes through. Fans like that add nothing to football. You'd have thought they learnt their lesson after the kicking they got off the Russians in France.

You have no idea what people are there but yes lets blame fans who showed 99.999% good natured fun at the weekend, but changed when it went from club to country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

You have no idea what people are there but yes lets blame fans who showed 99.999% good natured fun at the weekend, but changed when it went from club to country.
    I said "quite possible". You're right, I don't know for sure as I'm not there. Are you? Can you tell me for certain my theory is wrong? It's just something that sprung to mind when watching it.

Weren't there Pool fans in Barcelona a while back pushing people into fountains? You don't think if those same fans are around and they've been hitting the beers hard, their behaviour could escalate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Has Spain invaded Portugal in the last 24 hours?
    I said "quite possible". You're right, I don't know for sure as I'm not there. Are you? Can you tell me for certain my theory is wrong? It's just something that sprung to mind when watching it.

Weren't there Pool fans in Barcelona a while back pushing people into fountains? You don't think if those same fans are around and they've been hitting the beers hard, their behaviour could escalate?

That's a jump and a half you've made there. Liverpool fans tend to support Liverpool or Everton only. Not much interest in the national team in Liverpool, in general.
    The English police knew this would happen, warnings have been issued publicly this last while

Cheap flights, scumbags able to get a cheap holiday coked outta it, Always gonna be trouble. Feel sorry for the decent lads who follow England

Good weather, cheap flights, the club season is over, so the odds on the idiots travelling increases dramatically. I know a few regular away supporters who are over there but they've set up camp a few miles outside the city to avoid this nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

1 Liverpool fan did that in Barcelona, and hopefully he has been shamed and knows now not to do anything like that again.

I am not in Porto so I can't say for sure either but knowing Liverpool fans have a less than high regard for England national team I think it is quick a jump to blame Liverpool and Spurs fans coming from Madrid. After all those from the city of Liverpool either blue or red see themselves Scouse and not English

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Very high likelihood they are supporters of small teams outside the Premier League who don't travel to Europe other than England games. They would be the vast majority of travelling England fans in general.

Tonight's teams:
    Netherlands XI: Cillessen; Dumfries, De Ligt, Van Dijk, Blind; De Roon, De Jong, Wijnaldum; Bergwijn, Depay, Babel.

England XI: Pickford; Walker, Stones, Maguire, Chilwell; Barkley, Rice, Delph; Sancho, Rashford, Sterling.

Tough one to call. Think this might go to Extra-Time. Kick-off 7:45pm on Sky Sports Football and VM Sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The scheduling of this really is a bit much.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

The scheduling of this really is a bit much.

Why?

• Advertisement

Why are the English fans booing Ryan Babel?

Champions League Saturday - internationals four days later. Everyone within UEFA really needs to get their act together.

(cos he used to play for Liverpool)

Depay butchered that chance.

Utter scum. I saw it said on Twitter that they didn’t turn up and act the scumbag in Russia in the World Cup. LOL. They are cowards as well as everything else

Champions League Saturday - internationals four days later. Everyone within UEFA really needs to get their act together.

(cos he used to play for Liverpool)

Cos Babel used to play for Liverpool, is that why they’re booing him? Makes no sense?

De Ligt concedes penalty, fouling Rashford. Poor concentration.

And Rashford makes it 1-0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Iv said it for age De ligt is no where near the player people think he is , he is good but he is still young he needs time

He should stay at Ajax another season hell be eaten alive by the media at a big club as he has lots of mistakes in him which os understandable at his ag

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Iv said it for age De ligt is no where near the player people think he is , he is good but he is still young he needs time

He should stay at Ajax another season hell be eaten alive by the media at a big club as he has lots of mistakes in him which os understandable at his ag

Kinda seems like he or more than likely his agent want to cash in on fact he had a great season this year,destination seems to be Barca with a contract to set him up for life if he is sensible with the money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Dumfries Shud be off,hacked Chillwell early on,no yellow,now an elbow,got yellow

• Advertisement

If De Ligt was signed for Liverpool he'd hardly be seen for six months while he was taught how to play in the defence with VVD and Fabinho ahead of him. Would Barca throw him straight in I wonder?

Should be a penalty for Holland there. England lucky again

De Ligt should have equalised. Great chance just before Half-Time.

Thought for sure Sancho would bury that header. England well on top atm.

Soon as I write that Depay with a good chance. Looks like this is going to be a more open half. Dutch have to go for it and England are dangerous on the counter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

This times x1000. I'm so glad somebody else has said it. I'm not insane.

There are times where I feel like the rest of the world got together and are playing a trick on me. I just don't see it and when I try to explain it I get funny looks.

He's solid. Nothing more. He doesn't have the pace to be this "world best defender" nonsense that keeps getting thrown around. If you look at the best defenders from the past decade. Ferdinand, Ramos, Thiago Silva, and now Van Dijk. One thing they all have in common is tremendous pace. De Ligt doesn't. Which means pacey strikers are going to embarrass him. It also means he doesn't have the pace to make up for a mistake.

He's no better than John Stones. He's certainly miles away from Van Dijk. The fee for him seems massively inflated.

Dumfries is worse than a man down

• Advertisement

I like Kevin Kilbane usually when I hear him on Off The Ball and stuff but on co commentary he’s useless. I don’t think he understands some of the basic rules of the game.

TheCitizen wrote: »
    I like Kevin Kilbane usually when I hear him on Off The Ball and stuff but on co commentary he’s useless. I don’t think he understands some of the basic rules of the game.

Tyler and Neville are doing the game on sky. Much better option if you can avail of it.

1-1. Redemption for De Ligt!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Cracking header, game on now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

Great Header

• Advertisement

Kirby wrote: »
    This times x1000. I'm so glad somebody else has said it. I'm not insane.

There are times where I feel like the rest of the world got together and are playing a trick on me. I just don't see it and when I try to explain it I get funny looks.

He's solid. Nothing more. He doesn't have the pace to be this "world best defender" nonsense that keeps getting thrown around. If you look at the best defenders from the past decade. Ferdinand, Ramos, Thiago Silva, and now Van Dijk. One thing they all have in common is tremendous pace. De Ligt doesn't. Which means pacey strikers are going to embarrass him. It also means he doesn't have the pace to make up for a mistake.

He's no better than John Stones. He's certainly miles away from Van Dijk. The fee for him seems massively inflated.

He's good in the air though. :p

About time. Thoroughly deserved

Van de Beek misses a great chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,839 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Sitter missed there for the Dutch

Lingard makes it 2-1. Dutch defence cut wide open.

VAR comes to the rescue. Was very tight but looks a correct call.

Phenomenal pass from Henderson, tidy finish too.

That looked offside though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

VAR looks to have got that right.

Is there a Dutch pen now? Big appeal.

No pen.

Came off his back, no penalty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,839 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

fûck, no handball but the following chance was a sitter.

• Advertisement
Advertisement