Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UEFA Nations League

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Brutal defending by England for those et goals.

Since Kane has come on I think he's fouled 7 times and got a yellow. Not much else.
    Fit or not that's fairly poor.

Holland deserved to go through.

Last summer Kane was likely in high demand, could have made a big move.

You get the feeling now his time has passed, and he's going to see out his career at spurs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

NIMAN wrote: »

You get the feeling now his time has passed, and he's going to see out his career at spurs?

Tottenham Hotspur 178 (125)

England 37 (22)

He is only 25 and hasn't played in a month, he has a good few years left yet.

his goal scoring record is very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Dcully wrote: »
    Utterly pathetic Engand fans booing VVD.

Very enjoyable game all the same.
    Top defenders making mistakes all over the place.

Would it be any different if he played against the RoI? Clubs loyalties are club loyalties. Raheen Sterling got booed when England played in Dublin last by Liverpool fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I wonder will Southgate bother playing a couple of good defenders against Switzerland?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

NIMAN wrote:

He's not 80 like.
    Imo he did fail his team & manager's by not admitting he's nowhere near 100% fit but they are equally culpable of selecting him to play.

I wonder will Southgate bother playing a couple of good defenders against Switzerland?

I'm sorry but why are they playing Switzerland?
    There can't seriously be a 3rd place play off for this stuff. It's a waste of time at the world cup in this instance it's even more cruel/pointless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭wally79

thebaz wrote: »
    what was with all the booing of VVD - was it racist or something else ?

Given what happened with Sterling , I thought they might only taunt the Irish

Probably mostly fans of other clubs as I imagine very few Liverpool fans there after the expense of the weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

thebaz wrote: »
    what was with all the booing of VVD

They were booing VVD because he had the nerve to keep Kane in his pocket on Saturday, have a few bottles, then keep him in his pocket again on Thursday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Its still not coming home anyway.

53 years of hurt.

Next year is their year, final at Wemberlee etc.

fyfe79 wrote: »
    They were booing VVD because he had the nerve to keep Kane in his pocket on Saturday, have a few bottles, then keep him in his pocket again on Thursday.

I'd be fairly confident that I could keep Kane in my pocket at the moment. I covered more ground between my kitchen and sitting room last Saturday evening than he did on that pitch. Ditto for last night. Chap is not fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

It's not just fitness - Kane takes a while to get going when he hasn't played for a while, see his inability to score in August. But who else could England have brought on for Rashford? Would you rather have a 75% fit Kane or a 100% fit Wilson on the pitch for a big game?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

loyatemu wrote: »
    It's not just fitness - Kane takes a while to get going when he hasn't played for a while, see his inability to score in August. But who else could England have brought on for Rashford? Would you rather have a 75% fit Kane or a 100% fit Wilson on the pitch for a big game?

Rashford was absolutely pants again

Wilson is the better striker , Now Rashford my pass him out but currently Wilson is miles better ,

NIMAN wrote: »

seriously ? he is a goal scoring machine and only 25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Needless passing around the back under pressure causes problems again.

Teams like Man City are good enough to do it and then exploit the space behind the pressing players. Most teams aren't and are just as likely to get themselves into trouble.

The pass to Barkley for the 3rd was a terrible decision, as was his attempted pass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

ERG89 wrote: »
    He's not 80 like.
    Imo he did fail his team & manager's by not admitting he's nowhere near 100% fit but they are equally culpable of selecting him to play.

I'm sorry but why are they playing Switzerland?
    There can't seriously be a 3rd place play off for this stuff. It's a waste of time at the world cup in this instance it's even more cruel/pointless.

All about the prize money and that extra €1 million

Winners: €6 million
    Runners-up: €4.5 million
    Third place: €3.5 million
    Fourth place: €2.5 million

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I'd say it was more about not wanting to send teams to a summer 'tournament' for just one game.
    Especially as everyone else in Europe is getting 2 games during this international break.

UEFA is usually against 3rd place-offs, the only confederation that doesn't bother with it in their main tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

I actually agree with the 3/4 place match for once cos at least the fans who travel see 2 games . I don’t think there is a need for them at euros or World Cup tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,171 ✭✭✭chicorytip

osarusan wrote:
    Needless passing around the back under pressure causes problems again.

You can't expect the likes of Harry Maguire and Kyle Walker to play in that fashion. They're just nuts and bolts defenders, as is Stones who has slightly more ability. Get them to do what they're good at - tackling, heading, running without the ball and keep a high defensive line. England's problems lie further up the pitch. The midfield was overrun at times last night and if Kane is absent or out of sorts they will struggle to score.

Tommy Robertson at the match and hitting out at someone giving him grief apparently.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/jun/07/tommy-robinson-filmed-punching-man-to-ground-outside-england-football-match

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Tommy Robertson at the match and hitting out at someone giving him grief apparently.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/jun/07/tommy-robinson-filmed-punching-man-to-ground-outside-england-football-match

Punches him in the back of the head the coward. How is he not banned from traveling to away England games? If he's there all sorts are let in. They should blanket ban all England fans until they get a grip on the situation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I still don't get why they where booing VVD?

None of the English follow the big six in England or very few do. Ya see the flags and it’s mostly lower league clubs names on the flags

RasTa wrote: »
    I still don't get why they where booing VVD?

I assume there were very few Liverpool fans in the England crowd, considering the large amount of European games this season. VVD is the best player at Liverpool, who have been very successful, so club rivalries mean they decided to boo him all game. Harmless stuff - I don't see any racist reason, for example. It's a compliment if anything.

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    None of the English follow the big six in England or very few do. Ya see the flags and it’s mostly lower league clubs names on the flags

Nail on the head,
    Most of the fans from Prem teams have been civilised so to speak by the fact they don't get away with that kind of stuff at Premier league games, well not anywhere near like they did in the past

Its all the lower league fans that still live for that sh*T

Look at the 4 teams in the European final's and hardly any issues

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

fyfe79 wrote: »
    I assume there were very few Liverpool fans in the England crowd, considering the large amount of European games this season. VVD is the best player at Liverpool, who have been very successful, so club rivalries mean they decided to boo him all game. Harmless stuff - I don't see any racist reason, for example. It's a compliment if anything.

Surely the Arsenal + Chelsea fans would be cheering him by that logic. Don't think it was racist. Unless the where majority Everton fans

RasTa wrote: »
    Surely the Arsenal + Chelsea fans would be cheering him by that logic. Don't think it was racist. Unless the where majority Everton fans

I guess you mean because of the CL final and they beat Spurs? No. My point was that he's a success symbol for Liverpool and happens to have played for Holland last night. So they decided to boo him. I'm sure the English travelling support couldn't give two sh!tes which teams Liverpool have beaten, even if they're fellow rivals. Anyways, I'm sure there wasn't a lot of Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs fans there last night, for the same reason as Liverpool. And like Dr Bre said, it's generally fans of lower level clubs who travel to watch England.

• Advertisement

Southgate rings the changes for the third place play off v Switzerland at 2 PM

Gomez in for Stones, TAA in for Walker, Sterling, Kane, Lingard up front, Delph, Deir and Alli in the middle which is just appalling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Can anyone tell me why England are playing Switzerland, why is there a third place play off? Does the winner get automatic qualification to the Euros or something? What happens the loser?
    Seems to be a big crowd there so assuming there’s some level of importance to it. Why is it in Portugal though?
    Sorry, still haven’t a clue how the whole nations league thing works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,304 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Cake Man wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me why England are playing Switzerland, why is there a third place play off? Does the winner get automatic qualification to the Euros or something? What happens the loser?
    Seems to be a big crowd there so assuming there’s some level of importance to it. Why is it in Portugal though?

Money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Cake Man wrote: »

I think they had a 3rd place in this to avoid the situation of teams & fans travelling to a tournament for just one game. Remember everyone else in Europe is playing two games this weekend (qualifiers).
    The game itself is of no importance, but clearly many of the fans of both teams have 'made a week of it' and stayed for it.

Portugal host the finals purely because they asked to host the finals (all 4 semi-finalists were offered a chance to submit a bid, only Portugal did)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

I think they had a 3rd place in this to avoid the situation of teams & fans travelling to a tournament for just one game. Remember everyone else in Europe is playing two games this weekend (qualifiers).
    The game itself is of no importance, but clearly many of the fans of both teams have 'made a week of it' and stayed for it.

Portugal host the finals purely because they asked to host the finals (all 4 semi-finalists were offered a chance to submit a bid, only Portugal did)

There has to be 3-4 play off to determine rankings in case some of the big teams dont qualify automatically, ie if ENG/SWI dont finish 1or2 in euro 20

• Advertisement

England score but VAR says no due to a foul in the build up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

no idea how England haven't scored yet

Sterling is crap for England? Kane is lumbering, Alli couldn't score to save his life these days. Lingard....

Anyway 0-0 and Penos it is. Switzerland to win this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,839 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Ball, nowhere near the spot for the first peno, referee tells him twice, still nowhere near the spot but let’s him take and score anyway.

Strumms wrote:
    Ball, nowhere near the spot for the first peno, referee tells him twice, still nowhere near the spot but let's him take and score anyway.

Even the ref is like, ah f*ck it

good penos so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,304 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Strumms wrote: »
    Ball, nowhere near the spot for the first peno, referee tells him twice, still nowhere near the spot but let’s him take and score anyway.
    ERG89 wrote: »
    Even the ref is like, ah f*ck it

Hoping to get it over and done as soon as possible, daft idea to have a 3rd/4th place playoff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭greenfield21

Yeah everyone probably wanted this game over and done with quick, yet it is being strung out to the very last.

5-5 so we're running out of confident and talented ball strikers

That was a TERRIBLE peno, lucky M

• Advertisement

Pickford's going to be unbearable now! :p

Jordan Pickford, he scores when he wants!!! England win the shootout and finish third. Another step in the right direction for the team. Was convinced Sterling was going to miss his penalty given the game he had.

He pisses me off with his constant delay tactics.. takes an AGE to walk back and position himself on the line, adjusting his gloves and pricking around while he’s had 2 minutes to sort his shît out.

England finally win a shootout!

Dr. Bre wrote: »

Bit late with that post.

Dr. Bre wrote:

They won the one last year against Colombia tbf.

Third is the new first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Strumms wrote: »
    He pisses me off with his constant delay tactics.. takes an AGE to walk back and position himself on the line, adjusting his gloves and pricking around while he’s had 2 minutes to sort his shît out.

He can't do that from next season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Teams for the final:
    Portugal XI: Rui Patricio; Semedo, Fonte, Ruben Dias, Guerreiro; Danilo, William Carvalho, Bruno Fernandes; Bernardo Silva, Ronaldo, Guedes.

Netherlands XI: Cillessen; Dumfries, Van Dijk, De Ligt, Blind; Wijnaldum, De Jong, De Roon; Bergwijn, Depay, Babel.

Three changes for Portugal: Fonte in for the injured Pepe, Danilo and Guedes preferred to Neves and Felix. Koeman names an unchanged side from the one that beat England.

Looking forward to this. I'll go for Portugal to edge it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Portugal have done most of the attacking but haven't created many clear opportunities. Still look more likely to carve out something in the second half IMO

Advertisement