Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UEFA Nations League

1131415161719»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Portugal playing well but can't find the breakthrough. Bruno Fernandes wasted half-chances. Bernardo Silva been very good. Ronaldo's had his moments. Van Dijk doing well at the back. Still all to play for but the Dutch need to step it up. Think they might tire in the second half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Portuguese look the better of the two sides so far. Netherlands have offered nothing in the final third.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

A question after watching Wijnaldum try to lift it over the keeper after being played in behind the defence - it looked like a pretty clear offside, but they let play go on until the attack is over. I understand this, good to let things pan out, then if there is a goal you go back and check VAR for offside.

What I don't get is that when the attack comes to nothing, the referee blows up for offside pretty much immediately, without any apparent check of VAR at all.

If it is so clearly offside that the ref/lino can give it without VAR once the attack ends, why can they not do it before that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

osarusan wrote: »
    A question after watching Wijnaldum try to lift it over the keeper after being played in behind the defence - it looked like a pretty clear offside, but they let play go on until the attack is over. I understand this, good to let things pan out, then if there is a goal you go back and check VAR for offside.

What I don't get is that when the attack comes to nothing, the referee blows up for offside pretty much immediately, without any apparent check of VAR at all.

If it is so clearly offside that the ref/lino can give it without VAR once the attack ends, why can they not do it before that?

Weird alright, seemed to be following neither one rule not the other.

Netherlands looking the better side this half so far.

<edit>
    ha, just as I say that, Guedes pops up. Great finish!

Portugal take a deserved lead.

• Advertisement

Guedes makes it 1-0 after Bernardo sets him up. Think Cillessen should do better there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Should be saving that.

Guedes makes it 1-0 after Bernardo sets him up. Think Cillesen should do better there.

Shot was hit was proper force, got a hand to it but hard to get that round the post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,919 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

That is a pen why isn't VAR used there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,839 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Stonewall penalty there. Nothing given.

• Advertisement

Strumms wrote: »
    Stonewall penalty there. Nothing given.

Why didn't they go to VAR?

Berserker wrote: »

Beats me :eek: but reply confirmed it was :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

It did, sort of. The ref doesn’t go to VAR, VAR automatically reviews and tells the ref if his decision was wrong.

Basically, all refs think that holding sh1te is ok, which is a bit nuts.

Benimar wrote: »
    It did, sort of. The ref doesn’t go to VAR, VAR automatically reviews and tells the ref if his decision was wrong.

Basically, all refs think that holding sh1te is ok, which is a bit nuts.

Yep, so much for VAR putting an end to all that stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

At least there is no extra time; pretty poor game of football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Portugal deserved it, more attacking for most of the game. Dutch never really got going in the final third until after about an hour.

Bernardo Silva was dazzling in the last 20 minutes or so.

Portugal are Nations League Champions.

Great achievement for Fernando Santos to win the European Championships and now this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

Yea, Portugal were the better side. Netherlands seemed to get flustered the minute they hit the final third.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

The Dutch would be a great side if they had a real top-level striker or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Am I right in saying that Ireland are pretty much guaranteed to be in the playoffs next March at worst? I’ve been trying to figure it out.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2020_qualifying_play-offs

Scroll down to “teams selected” and you see Ireland ranked 23rd I believe out of 24 teams in group A and B.

So the first 20 teams will qualify from the normal group stages (1st and 2nd). I think it’s fair to say that most of these teams will come from Group A and Group B in the Euro nations.

Now group A and B have 8 playoff spots so if 15 teams from group A and B have already qualified then Ireland will definitely be in playoffs!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

It’s 99% certain we get a playoff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭adaminho

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

Hopefully we'll finish at least second!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

99% I like those chances!

fyfe79 wrote: »
    The Dutch would be a great side if they had a real top-level striker or two.

When you think of the likes of Cruyff, Van Basten, Van Nistilrooy, Bergkamp, Van Persie, Hasslebank, Rep, Kluivert, Van Basten... now basically Huntelaar !

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

Think NI are in a similar position but they'll be away from home in their play off. Anyone have any idea what the odds on RoI v NI in the play offs are?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Think NI are in a similar position but they'll be away from home in their play off. Anyone have any idea what the odds on RoI v NI in the play offs are?

I am very open to correction but I think for that to happen we’d need to be the 2nd and 3rd ranked teams in the playoff of whichever League’s standings we go into.

So we’d need 9 of the 10 teams above both of us in League B to qualify directly

OR

11 of the 12 League A sides and 6 League B sides to qualify directly.

That’s just for the semi. Could also both meet in final but that venue would be decided by a draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Just to add to the above.

Both teams are currently top of their groups and would automatically qualify as it stands. However, if they fell out of the top 2 and the current third placed sides qualified instead of them (Georgia and Netherlands) and all other groups stayed the same we’d both just miss out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

This seems convoluted.

So in the playoffs we'd have to go through a "semi-final" and "final". :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

xsAoS1aOKr1R.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

This seems convoluted.

So in the playoffs we'd have to go through a "semi-final" and "final". :confused:

Yes instead of a two legged game it is a semi-final and final with the winners getting a spot in the Euros, it is a one off game giving the higher ranked teams home advantage. In other words more games - more money for UEFA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

So league D has teams like belarus and others in it. Will one of that group of four qualify then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

So league D has teams like belarus and others in it. Will one of that group of four qualify then?

Yes

This is how the play offs currently stand

Group A Group B Group C Group D Group E Group F Group G Group H Group I Group J
    England Ukraine Northern Ireland Ireland Croatia Spain Poland Turkey Belgium Italy
    Czech Republic Luxembourg Germany Switzerland Hungary Sweden Israel France Russia Finland

Play-offs
    League A League B League C League D
    Portugal Bosnia Scotland Georgia
    Netherlands Denmark Norway North Macedonia
    Iceland Austria Serbia Kosovo
    Slovakia Wales Finland Belarus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Yes

This is how the play offs currently stand

Group A Group B Group C Group D Group E Group F Group G Group H Group I Group J
    England Ukraine Northern Ireland Ireland Croatia Spain Poland Turkey Belgium Italy
    Czech Republic Luxembourg Germany Switzerland Hungary Sweden Israel France Russia Finland

Play-offs
    League A League B League C League D
    Portugal Bosnia Scotland Georgia
    Netherlands Denmark Norway North Macedonia
    Iceland Austria Serbia Kosovo
    Slovakia Wales Finland Belarus

Thanks man. That's cracked. Fair enough give the lesser nations a chance but this isn't under 8's. You qualify on merit

Advertisement