Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UEFA Nations League

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

I highly doubt all twelve league A will qualify automatically. Likes of Holland, Wales and Romania were all top seeds in World Cup qualifiers and failed to make top 2 in their groups. There will be an upset or two.

Iceland have been great but wouldn't have huge faith in them being a long term fixture at business end of qualifying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Rekop dog wrote: »
    I highly doubt all twelve league A will qualify automatically. Likes of Holland, Wales and Romania were all top seeds in World Cup qualifiers and failed to make top 2 in their groups. There will be an upset or two.

Iceland have been great but wouldn't have huge faith in them being a long term fixture at business end of qualifying.

I suppose but I think the nature of the groups next time will really help the teams in pot 1 and 2. 10 small groups of 5 or 6 teams. There's very little in pot 3/4/5/6 that will concern Holland, Wales or Romania. Possibly Iceland in fairness, I hadn't noticed them in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,603 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Slightly confusing but I think it sounds like a great system, it makes almost every game in international football important and less friendlies is a good thing in my book. It should make the rankings more accurate also as teams will mainly be playing teams of their own level outside of qualifying campaigns. I don't buy into the whole a team could get relegated down the leagues and have a better chance of qualifying.. It would mean deliberately losing games for a couple of years in a row and would make it more difficult in the actual qualifying campaigns. It will work well for the Euros, not sure what will happen in a world cup year?

Major pluses are less friendlies, a truer ranking system, much better for lower ranked teams and essentially a back door route into a Euros, which can only be good for Ireland. Only negative I can see is that it won't give us much time to plan going to a tournament if we only qualify in March!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

I'm a bit confused :pac:

Does it mean if a top nation in Group A messes up Euro qualification, they'll most likely be guaranteed to have another chance to qualify as the rest of Group A would have already qualified?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,726 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Kenjataimu wrote: »
    Does this mean if a top nation in Group A messes up Euro qualification, they'll most likely be guaranteed to have another chance to qualify as the rest of Group A would have already qualified?
    They could provided the finish top of one of the 4 groups or further down if a higher placed team has already qualified.

The Cush wrote: »
    They could provided the finish top of one of the 4 groups or further down if a higher placed team has already qualified.

Say Iceland fail to qualify in the normal way and also finish last in their group of 3 in this thing, but every other team in League A qualify the old school way. What happens then? Do they just take the place reserved to League A or do they have to play against teams from League B to take that spot?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

This sounds both interesting and a bit confusing!
    Even the groups are a bit weird, Serbia in C, and Holland in A.
    Right now I know which one i'd rather play.

Jayop wrote: »
    Say Iceland fail to qualify in the normal way and also finish last in their group of 3 in this thing, but every other team in League A qualify the old school way. What happens then? Do they just take the place reserved to League A or do they have to play against teams from League B to take that spot?

I believe they are joined by the next 3 teams from Group B not already in the play-offs in Group B.

I believe they are joined by the next 3 teams from Group B not already in the play-offs in Group B.

Harsh on the top 3 teams from Group B getting pooled in with a top team in Group A for 1 place. Surely it would be better using the 5th, 6th, 7th placed teams in Group B not qualified and allow the top 4 teams in Group B not qualified to compete against each other for their own place. If there's not 3 other teams in group B then take the teams from group C that are not the top 4 finishers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Harsh on the top 3 teams from Group B getting pooled in with a top team in Group A for 1 place. Surely it would be better using the 5th, 6th, 7th placed teams in Group B not qualified and allow the top 4 teams in Group B not qualified to compete against each other for their own place. If there's not 3 other teams in group B then take the teams from group C that are not the top 4 finishers.
    Is that not exactly what was said?

Or am I now misinterpreting something.

It does seem a lot more complicated than I originally thought as I thought there was just one playoff place for group D only

You misread my post.

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Is that not exactly what was said?

Or am I now misinterpreting something.

It does seem a lot more complicated than I originally thought as I thought there was just one playoff place for group D only

Ya, I think I read the original post completely arse about foot.

You misread my post.

Yep, sorry about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,328 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Right this is an example you could have

League A
    Group 1
    Germany
    France
    Poland

Group 2
    Portugal
    England
    Iceland

Group 3
    Belgium
    Switzerland
    Croatia

Group 4
    Spain
    Italy
    Netherlands

League B
    Group 1
    Austria
    Sweden
    Northern Ireland

Group 2
    Wales
    Ukraine
    Denmark

Group 3
    Russia
    Ireland
    Czech Republic

Group 4
    Slovakia
    Bosnia
    Turkey

League C
    Group 1
    Hungary
    Greece
    Montenegro
    Cyrus

Group 2
    Romania
    Serbia
    Israel
    Estonia

Group 3
    Scotland
    Albania
    Bulgaria
    Lithuania

Group 4
    Slovenia
    Norway
    Finland

League D
    Group 1
    Azerbaijan
    Latvia
    Kazakhstan
    Andorra

Group 2
    Macedonia
    Armenia
    Moldova
    Kosovo

Group 3
    Belarus
    Faroe Islands
    Liechtenstein
    San Marino

Group 4
    Georgia
    Luxemburg
    Malta
    Gibraltar

Germany, Portugal, Belgium and Spain would be placed as seeds for the 1st 4 groups with 5 teams so they can play in the finals.

Normal Qualifying Groups
    Group A
    Germany - Q
    Croatia
    Northern Ireland - Q
    Albania
    Macedonia

Group B
    Portugal
    Netherlands - Q
    Denmark - Q
    Norway
    Belarus

Group C
    Belgium - Q
    Austria
    Czech Republic - Q
    Montenegro
    Georgia

Group D
    Spain - Q
    Wales - Q
    Turkey
    Israel
    Armenia

Group E
    France - Q
    Russia
    Hungary
    Bulgaria - Q
    Latvia

Group F
    England - Q
    Slovakia
    Romania - Q
    Finland
    Faroe Islands
    Malta

Group G
    Switzerland
    Sweden - Q
    Scotland - Q
    Cyprus
    Luxembourg
    Andorra

Group H
    Italy - Q
    Ukraine
    Slovenia - Q
    Estonia
    Kazakhstan
    Kosovo

Group I
    Poland - Q
    Ireland - Q
    Greece
    Lithuania
    Moldova
    San Marino

Group J
    Iceland
    Bosina - Q
    Serbia - Q
    Azerbaijan
    Liechtenstein
    Gibraltar

That then would leave the play off like this

League A
    Portugal
    Iceland
    Switzerland
    Croatia

League B
    Austria
    Ukraine
    Russia
    Slovakia

League C
    Hungary
    Israel
    Albania
    Norway

League D
    Azerbaijan
    Macedonia
    Belarus
    Georgia

• Advertisement

Would be brilliant for some of the minnows to have a chance to get in to a major tournament. At the Euro's with 24 nations it really shouldn't be at our expense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

It just seems overly complicated... a solution to a problem that didn't exist?!

International football is by and large garbage. The only part that's exciting is the tournaments. The qualifiers are even boring as hell until the last few games when you know exactly what needs to be done to guarantee progression. Friendlies are the absolute worst though. I don't know a single person that enjoys them, and now with something like this I guess a little more will be on those games and maybe they may be worth watching. You're also I assume not going to have carte blance to make 11 subs which I always hate.

So I guess the problems it's trying to solve are...

1) Make the friendly dates more exciting and thus more marketable
    2) Allow at least 1 minnow, maybe 2 entry to major tournaments which imo is a good thing.

I'm not old enough to properly remember Euro 88, but I can only assume it would be amazing for some of those smaller teams to have that feeling for the first time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

International football is by and large garbage. The only part that's exciting is the tournaments. The qualifiers are even boring as hell until the last few games when you know exactly what needs to be done to guarantee progression. Friendlies are the absolute worst though. I don't know a single person that enjoys them, and now with something like this I guess a little more will be on those games and maybe they may be worth watching. You're also I assume not going to have carte blance to make 11 subs which I always hate.

2) Allow at least 1 minnow, maybe 2 entry to major tournaments which imo is a good thing.

I'm not old enough to properly remember Euro 88, but I can only assume it would be amazing for some of those smaller teams to have that feeling for the first time.

Seems like a lot of effort to solve boring friendlies. When we do have a friendly it's usually tagged onto an international week where there is also a competitive fixture. I would be afraid that younger players mightn't get a chance at a run-out if every fixture 'matters'. Friendlies have a place I think.

Minnows getting more tournament access is a good thing I think too. Should be a better way of doing it though. Not easy...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Agree with you there. Just watching Panama qualifying for the World Cup was brilliant. They went absolutely bat s**t crazy. That’s what you want to see. You don’t want to see a Greece or Slovakia limping into the tournament when we all know they’ll do SFA when they get there.

After all our encounters with Georgia over the years, I’d be delighted to see them qualify for a tournament. Don’t think they’d look to out of place either.

• Advertisement

Aye just look at what Iceland brought two years ago. Remember Jamaica in the world cup for the first time. Some of the African nations back in the day. Ireland in 88 and for me in 90. Awesome scenes and memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

It may of already been answered but if you finish 3rd in the traditional qualifying group that wont offer a playoff place?
    Playoffs can only been reached via Nations League?

Agree with you there. Just watching Panama qualifying for the World Cup was brilliant. They went absolutely bat s**t crazy. That’s what you want to see. You don’t want to see a Greece or Slovakia limping into the tournament when we all know they’ll do SFA when they get there.

After all our encounters with Georgia over the years, I’d be delighted to see them qualify for a tournament. Don’t think they’d look to out of place either.

You really could have choose a better example than Greece lol!

And for me there's a big difference between an underdog such as Iceland or Panama qualifying through a fair route against the best sides in their confederation as opposed to a Georgia qualifying against other rubbish sides, it's nowhere near as big an achievement. It's almost patronising.

iDave wrote: »
    It may of already been answered but if you finish 3rd in the traditional qualifying group that wont offer a playoff place?

Yea, there is 20 places for the normal route 10 winners and 10 runners up.

final 4 places will be decided via play offs from the Nations League.

This is for 2020 Euros, we don't know how things will work when there are only 13 places or 2022 World Cup or 16 places for World Cups after that.

Heck when it comes to the Euro 2024 when there is a host country again we will not know how it works then either

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Yea, there is 20 places for the normal route 10 winners and 10 runners up.

final 4 places will be decided via play offs from the Nations League.

This is for 2020 Euros, we don't know how things will work when there are only 13 places or 2022 World Cup or 16 places for World Cups after that.

Heck when it comes to the Euro 2024 when there is a host country again we will not know how it works then either
    Ok think I'm finally getting my head around it.
    The playoffs will be a one off match instead of traditional two legged and then another one off match against other playoff winner?
    Doubt this will ever have any bearing on WC. 
    For E24 I'd say hosts wont take part in the group as is tradition and their Nations League ranking will be ignored and playoff places offered to next highest team.

Ok think I'm finally getting my head around it.
    The playoffs will be a one off match instead of traditional two legged and then another one off match against other playoff winner?
    Doubt this will ever have any bearing on WC. 
    For E24 I'd say hosts wont take part in the group as is tradition and their Nations League ranking will be ignored and playoff places offered to next highest team.

Yea the semi finals the team with the better record will host a one of game.

A draw will be made then to see which team is home for the final from those two winners for each league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,087 ✭✭✭bren2001

Yea the semi finals the team with the better record will host a one of game.

A draw will be made then to see which team is home for the final from those two winners for each league

Why isnt it at a neutral venue? Madness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Aye just look at what Iceland brought two years ago. Remember Jamaica in the world cup for the first time. Some of the African nations back in the day. Ireland in 88 and for me in 90. Awesome scenes and memories.

Iceland have qualified on merit for 2016 and 2018, as did we back in 88 and 90. Georgia won't have done likewise if they only have to beat the likes of Azerbaijan to be guaranteed a place in Euro 2020.

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Iceland have qualified on merit for 2016 and 2018, as did we back in 88 and 90. Georgia won't have done likewise if they only have to beat the likes of Azerbaijan to be guaranteed a place in Euro 2020.

And the alternative is to allow 4 teams who finished 3rd, possibly in a 5 team group to qualify? How is that really of any more merit??

bren2001 wrote: »
    Why isnt it at a neutral venue? Madness.
    They are still just an extension of the current 'friendly' game format which 99% of times are hosted by one of the participating teams.

I'm wondering could the home team ask to host in elsewhere? It's not likely to be a request any team would make as they would be giving up an advantage in a game that guarantees qualification to a major tournament.

• Advertisement

S.M.B. wrote: »
    They are still just an extension of the current 'friendly' game format which 99% of times are hosted by one of the participating teams.

I'm wondering could the home team ask to host in elsewhere? It's not likely to be a request any team would make as they would be giving up an advantage in a game that guarantees qualification to a major tournament.

They are worlds apart from a friendly game though. You win a place at a tournament at the end, seems highly unfair to have to travel to the opposition for it.

I meant from an administrative perspective.

There is obviously a bit more at stake in a playoff game but they are clearly trying to avoid the additional organisation/logistical overheads of playing 12 games at a a multitude of neutral venues.

I wonder do away goals count though?

http://esportes.estadao.com.br/noticias/futebol,selecoes-estudam-criar-liga-mundial-para-substituir-amistosos,70002063196

Reports from Brazil that FIFA are considering proposals to introduce a new competition called the World League to replace international friendlies.

At the fringes of a FIFA meeting in India last week the president of the regional confederations met to discuss the new tournament. The proposal is part of a overall review of international men's and women's completions to make them more attractive to a wider audience, the review will be completed by March of next year.

With the introduction of the UEFA Nations League teams from other confederations, such as Brazil, Argentina and Mexico, have been upset with the potential loss of lucrative friendlies with European teams (http://remezcla.com/sports/fifa-world-league-uefa/).

Early proposals reported for the competition include
    - to be introduced in 2019
    - 3 divisions based on FIFA rankings
    - to be played over 1 year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭VillaMad

The pots for the inaugural UEFA Nations League have been confirmed:

League A
    Pot 1: Germany, Portugal, Belgium, Spain
    Pot 2: France, England, Switzerland, Italy
    Pot 3: Poland, Iceland, Croatia, Netherlands

League B
    Pot 1: Austria, Wales, Russia, Slovakia
    Pot 2: Sweden, Ukraine, Republic of Ireland, Bosnia-Herzegovina
    Pot 3: Northern Ireland, Denmark, Czech Republic, Turkey

League C
    Pot 1: Hungary, Romania, Scotland, Slovenia
    Pot 2: Greece, Serbia, Albania, Norway
    Pot 3: Montenegro, Israel, Bulgaria, Finland
    Pot 4: Cyprus, Estonia, Lithuania

League D
    Pot 1: Azerbaijan, FYR Macedonia, Belarus, Georgia
    Pot 2: Armenia, Latvia, Faroe Islands, Luxembourg
    Pot 3: Kazakhstan, Moldova, Liechtenstein, Malta
    Pot 4: Andorra, Kosovo, San Marino, Gibraltar

The draw will be made in Lausanne (Switzerland) on the 24th January 2018.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

NI and Wales would be a decent enough group.

UEFA Nations League draw takes place this Wed morning at 11:00 (Irish time).

Live on Sky Sports Football and Sky Sports News, none of the terrestrial channels carrying the draw.

It will be streamed live on UEFA.com

https://www.uefa.com/uefanationsleague/index.html#/iv/article/2529920

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

Russia
    ROI
    Turkey

:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Well, that's a sucky draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

The draw isn't for another day...

• Advertisement

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Well, that's a sucky draw.

Soz big man, it was just a potential scenario I was highlighting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Soz big man, it was just a potential scenario I was highlighting.

:o

Here was me thinking that we'd been shafted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,603 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

In terms of ability I'd say Russia are the only ones you would really want to avoid, wouldn't fancy playing away to Turkey or going back to Denmark again so soon. Slovakia and Czech Republic would be the draw I would like.

We could finish bottom of our group and still very likely make a playoff so doesn't matter all too much who we draw.

anyone got a scooby what's going on?

• Advertisement

anyone got a scooby what's going on?

Easy to follow tough group for Scotland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,525 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Rekop dog wrote: »
    We could finish bottom of our group and still very likely make a playoff so doesn't matter all too much who we draw.

I'd have thought it'd be nice to get a winnable group and get promotion to Tier 1. (And then win that next time).

Seems better than just seeing it as the backdoor route to the Euros every 4 years.

I'd have thought it'd be nice to get a winnable group and get promotion to Tier 1. (And then win that next time).

Seems better than just seeing it as the backdoor route to the Euros every 4 years.

It would also give us second seeds for the Euro qualifying group and ensure the same (or better) for the World Cup 2022 draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,165 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

what are the chances of Wales and Denmark again?

Chance to get revenge on the World Cup play offs

• Advertisement
Advertisement