Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UEFA Nations League

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Your almost better to be in league D in the nations league as you might have an easy playoff path to the finals if you fail in the grp stage

Its a pity Denmark will get here act together before the Oct games as we could finish 2nd on default in the nations league and hope Wales qualify directly in the qualifers if we fail to do so

There's a line of thought that Denmark need to select essentially the same squad for the entire Nations League, otherwise they'll bring the game into disrepute. If they play the amateurs against Wales, they may feel the need to play them all through the campaign. Otherwise UEFA will nail them for handing Wales a massive advantage over Ireland, or vice versa if the pro's played this weekend against Wales and then withdrew their services again next month vs Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Can you tune in S4C via Virgin?

No - you only get the channels they want you to get.

fyfe79 wrote: »
    There's a line of thought that Denmark need to select essentially the same squad for the entire Nations League, otherwise they'll bring the game into disrepute. If they play the amateurs against Wales, they may feel the need to play them all through the campaign. Otherwise UEFA will nail them for handing Wales a massive advantage over Ireland, or vice versa if the pro's played this weekend against Wales and then withdrew their services again next month vs Ireland.

UEFA should nail them now - if they put out a team of entirely uncapped players this weekend they're clearly not fulfilling the fixture properly. In a 3 team group this is such a fundamental distorting of the competition it can't be allowed to stand. It's particularly egregious in a competition that is supposed to get teams playing opponents of a similar standard - it probably wouldn't matter so much if they were playing Liechtenstein.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Andrew Flexing

I thought that the agreement was that competitive matches couldnt be exclusively on the likes of SKY and that an Irish (free to air) channel would always have a competitive match?

my URBAN EXPLORATION YouTube channel: https://www.facebook.com/ASMRurbanexploration/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

Isn't S4C on Freesat?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Andrew Flexing

emo72 wrote: »
    Isn't S4C on Freesat?

But that's not an Irish channel nor on Saorview.

my URBAN EXPLORATION YouTube channel: https://www.facebook.com/ASMRurbanexploration/

I thought that the agreement was that competitive matches couldnt be exclusively on the likes of SKY and that an Irish (free to air) channel would always have a competitive match?

It's not "competitive matches" - it's specifically Euro and WC qualifiers that have to be available free to air. This is neither (you could maybe argue it's a prequalifier for the Euros)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Liechtenstein currently managing to draw 1-1 away to Mkhitaryan's Armenia. It's Half-Time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Liechtenstein currently managing to draw 1-1 away to Mkhitaryan's Armenia. It's Half-Time.

And still with 25 minutes to go. Could Armenia be about to re-enact Irish football's most humiliating experience, with the added shame of doing it at home?

And now Mhki has his penalty saved! Good job he's not in my FF team tonight.

Update: Well it was fun while it lasted. Liechtenstein down to ten and Armenia straight away make it 2-1.

• Advertisement

Saw highlights of Germany vs France and Rudiger's boot across Pavard's neck looked quite naughty. I thought he could have pulled his leg away. Left Pavard with a nasty mark.

https://twitter.com/ESPNFC/status/1037788151316660224

Areola looked like he had an impressive game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Saw the highlights as well, injury looked worse as the game went on. Rudiger should get done for that. Could have been a whole lot worse.

Italy vs Poland looks to be the big Nations League game tonight. Game is live on Sky Sports Football from 7.45. Team news:
    Italy XI: Donnarumma; Zappacosta, Bonucci, Chiellini, Biraghi; Pellegrini, Jorginho, Gagliardini; Bernardeschi, Balotelli, Insigne.

Poland XI: Fabianski; Bereszynski, Glik, Bednarek, Reca; Blaszczykowski, Krychowiak, Klich, Kurzawa; Zielinski, Lewandowski.

Interested to see how Lewandowski fares since he's had a good start in his Bundesliga return. Balotelli's given Glik some difficult nights in the past so that should be a good contest. Jorginho's in very good form. I'll go for a 2-1 home win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Watching build up to Italy v Poland on Virgin Media, and the O'Neil Giggs handshake was bought up. Just what was said between them to leave Giggs so confused looking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Watching build up to Italy v Poland on Virgin Media, and the O'Neil Giggs handshake was bought up. Just what was said between them to leave Giggs so confused looking?

I'd say he was looking for Keane.

1-0 Poland. Jorginho dispossessed by Klich and Lewandowski provides a nice cross which Zielinski finishes well.

Can't say Poland don't deserve it. Donnarumma's been Italy's best player.

Update: Poland lead at Half-Time. That's the worst I've seen Jorginho play this season - so careless in possession. Bernardeschi's been wasteful too, while Poland would be further ahead if not for Donnarumma. Balotelli getting no service either. Lewandowski's playing very well. Klich's pressing has been impressive. Zielinski causing problems.

Italy in big trouble if this continues.

1-1. Jorginho from the penalty spot after Blaszczykowski commits a silly foul on Chiesa. Just over 10 minutes to go.

Update: It ends 1-1. Both sides probably merited a point. Chiesa added a lot when he came on. Balotelli sluggish this evening. Don't think he was fully fit. Poland were impressive. Lewandowski and Zielinski did well up top. Kurzawa and Bereszynski defended well down the right hand side.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Scotland 0-4 Belgium

Scotland vs Republic of Ireland will be a UEFA Nations League Group D fixture in a few years. :(

Scotland 0-4 Belgium

Scotland vs Republic of Ireland will be a UEFA Nations League Group D fixture in a few years. :(

:)/:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Mint Sauce wrote: »

He was looking for Keane id say and i didnt see Keane shake his hand either. Bad form if he didn't. To be fair tho the camera didnt stay on him for long so he may have done so.

• Advertisement

Was there no other match to put on today when there's so many happening? Hopefully Bosnia smash them at least.

Patww79 wrote: »
    Was there no other match to put on today when there's so many happening? Hopefully Bosnia smash them at least.

I'm assuming there would be no game on at 2 at all if it wasn't for tv...

Team news for NI vs Bosnia:
    NI XI: Peacock-Farrell, McLaughlin, Evans, Cathcart, Lewis, Norwood, Davis, Saville, McGinn, Lafferty, Dallas.

Bosnia XI: Sehic, Besic, Sunjic, Zukanovic, Civic, Saric, Cimirot, Pjanic, Visca, Dzeko, Duljevic.

Was looking up Bosnia's record and they aren't as impressive in attack as I figured they'd be. Only 4 goals in their last 6 games and 3 of those were away to South Korea in their last game. They failed to register a goal in 4 of those games.

NI's record this year is they beat South Korea 2-1 at home, drew 0-0 away to Panama and lost 3-0 away to Costa Rica.

Doesn't suggest lots of goals are likely. I'll go for a 1-1 draw.

I'm assuming there would be no game on at 2 at all if it wasn't for tv...

Is someone else showing it then? Virgin would hardly have got it moved to show, I don't think the northies even get Virgin TV.

Is someone else showing it then? Virgin would hardly have got it moved to show, I don't think the northies even get Virgin TV.

My assumption is that all the Saturday games were originally scheduled for 5 or 7.45 but Sky said they wanted a (comparatively) appealing one to show at an earlier time. Could be some other reason entirely for the scheduling though...

My assumption is that all the Saturday games were originally scheduled for 5 or 7.45 but Sky said they wanted a (comparatively) appealing one to show at an earlier time. Could be some other reason entirely for the scheduling though...

Being on Sky too makes more sense, and for VM3 it would probably be this or Judge Judy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Nordun Urland running riot against Bosnia here. Could be 2 up at least by now. Bosnia seem awful but NI are extremely well drilled.

What a sucker punch. 1-0 to Bosnia. Duljevic from Dzeko's low cross.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Gerry Armstrong handling the goal well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

NI robbed of penalty in 1st 30seconds,playing pretty well

Amazed Bosnia haven't conceded.

Oh dear. Disastrous header back from Cathcart. Bosnia make it 2-0 via Saric.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Awful back pass by NI and was doing so well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Keeper could have been braver

NI finally get their goal. Will Grigg.

3 minutes of stoppage time to grab an equaliser. Pressure on Bosnia.

• Advertisement

large_e95d8ad701596a6a41aab6a44124aa4a8b5aeb73.jpg

The only thing better than Norn Iron losing is Norn Iron losing and having Gerry Armstrong on commentary.

Full-Time and Bosnia win 2-1. Poor finishing let O'Neill's side down. Bosnia blessed to come away with all the points.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Full-Time and Bosnia win 2-1. Poor finishing let O'Neill's side down. Bosnia blessed to come away with all the points.
    Only saw the last 10 minutes of the match and we looked pretty much on top. Was it the same for the previous 80?

The only thing better than Norn Iron losing is Norn Iron losing and having Gerry Armstrong on commentary.

I was urging on N.I. tbh. Far deserved to win.

• Advertisement

I was urging on N.I. tbh. Far deserved to win.

I don't think any self respecting Irish person could.

awec wrote: »
    Only saw the last 10 minutes of the match and we looked pretty much on top. Was it the same for the previous 80?

Yeah, Bosnia were battered throughout. Their keeper Sehic had to make several saves. Also Bosnia's second goal came from a defensive lapse by Cathcart. Can't believe the Bosnians won it.

What a sucker punch. 1-0 to Bosnia. Duljevic from Dzeko's low cross.
    Oh dear. Disastrous header back from Cathcart. Bosnia make it 2-0 via Saric.
    NI finally get their goal. Will Grigg.

3 minutes of stoppage time to grab an equaliser. Pressure on Bosnia.

Your posts are akin to flashscore commentary updates!

I don't think any self respecting Irish person could.

Oooohhh, Edgy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

Anyone else liking the concept of the nation's league. Apart from Ireland's result and the confusion with the tournament and possibly the outcomes of the system.

Im all for seeing small countries playing against similar standard teams rather than being the whipping boys.

mugsymugsy wrote: »
    Anyone else liking the concept of the nation's league. Apart from Ireland's result and the confusion with the tournament and possibly the outcomes of the system.

Im all for seeing small countries playing against similar standard teams rather than being the whipping boys.

Personally I miss the classics like the annual Ireland v Oman field day but everything good comes to an end.

PS>...they were bi-annual but at the time it felt like we were playing them every second game.

Oooohhh, Edgy.

Not trying to be. They're a rival nation and everything in this modern age doesn't have to be hand holding and hugs, rivalry is allowed.

Plus, I've seen their fans in action and anyone that also did would feel the same. They completely and utterly despise the very core of us and everything about us.

Not trying to be. They're a rival nation and everything in this modern age doesn't have to be hand holding and hugs, rivalry is allowed.

Plus, I've seen their fans in action and anyone that also did would feel the same. They completely and utterly despise the very core of us and everything about us.

meh, not getting into this again.

Don't dismiss me as a self respecting Irish person though. That's all.

meh, not getting into this again.

There's little point. I won't change your mind and nobody will ever change mine.

But I'm still allowed not like them the same as you're allowed to.

There's little point. I won't change your mind and nobody will ever change mine.

But I'm still allowed not like them the same as you're allowed to.

I never said you weren't. You suggested that no self respecting Irish person could though so quite clearly you aren't so tolerant to me wanting them to in today, based on their performance on the day.

• Advertisement
Advertisement