Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UEFA Nations League

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

no.

I disagree i feel he is in danger of losing it
    Areola is massively talented, people forget how good he was for Villareal and before that for Lens in the second divison

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Lloris has always been a bit of a flapper too. You always get the feeling a massive mess up is never far away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Portugal vs Italy looks a tasty game this evening. It's on Virgin Media Three. Teams:
    Portugal XI: Rui Patricio, Cancelo, Pepe, Rui Dias, Mario Rui, Ruben Neves, Carvalho, B. Silva, Pizzi, Bruma, A. Silva.

Italy XI: Donnarumma, Lazzari, Caldara, Romagnoli, Criscito, Cristante, Jorginho, Bonaventura, Zaza, Immobile, Chiesa.

Mancini has rung the changes with this selection. Bonucci out, Chiellini out, Insigne out, Bernardeschi out, no Balotell either, although he looked sluggish vs Poland.

I think Portugal will fancy their chances against this side, and it would be just like football for Andre Silva to do well after he had such a tough time in Italy last season. I'll go for a home win.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Weird seeing the ageless Italian national anthem without Buffon blasting it out

Hate those flouncy anthems. Germany, USSR > all.

Good game, this. Both sides looking a threat.

I see Mitrovic has put Serbia ahead against Romania. He's having some season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Portugal are looking good. If they keep improving they could be European champs again.

This game lacks the intensity of England vs Spain and France vs Netherlands but it's compelling all the same. Portugal can be the happier of the two although Italy are showing signs they can threaten on the break. Romagnoli had a good half for Italy. Bernardo oozes class whenever he gets it. Pizzi did well too. Want to see more from Bruma and Andre Silva.

In other news, Scotland are goalless at half-time against Albania. McLeish really needs to win.

As good of a passer he is it's always a little too easy to bypass right by Jorginho.
    Chiesa is the only one up top for Italy you'd want near the team going forward. Him and Insigne would be a nice mix with a top striker.
    Immobile, Zaza, Belotti & Balotelli are not good enough and in most cases haven't been for some years.

• Advertisement

Want to see more from Bruma and Andre Silva.

That'll do! Nice move from Bruma and well finished by Andre Silva.

Scotland also gone in front against Albania via an O.G.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Watching on Virgin Media 3,crap picture,could be a Saorview problem,but surely HD should be a given nowadays.

Full-Time and Portugal win 1-0. Deserved result. William Carvalho or Bernardo Silva would be MOTM for me. I thought they were a class above the Italians.

Elsewhere, looks like the most dramatic result of the evening was in Sweden as Turkey come from 2-0 down to win 3-2 with 2 goals in the last 5 minutes.

Scotland have beaten Albania 2-0, while Mitrovic grabbed a brace as Serbia were held to a 2-2 draw at home to Romania.

Watching on Virgin Media 3,crap picture,could be a Saorview problem,but surely HD should be a given nowadays.

At least it's not hurling when the sliotar used to disappear on TV3.
    Thought Portugal deserved their win easily, nobody has stood out for Italy in the last 2 matches which is shocking and Pepe is still a w*nker which is far less surprising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Virgin media refuse to cough up to pay for HD and no one is going to force them at the BAI as they are too powerful to tell off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

This weekend has been like the world cup. Every time I look at the tv there's a match starting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,046 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

This weekend has been like the world cup. Every time I look at the tv there's a match starting.

Aye, most of them crap though.

This new competition isn't grabbing the imagination at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

NIMAN wrote: »

Lack of Marketing hasn't done it any good. I thought since it was on Sky Sports they'd make a big deal of it but they really haven't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Virgin media refuse to cough up to pay for HD and no one is going to force them at the BAI as they are too powerful to tell off.

Tv3 refuses to pay, maybe virgin media will, it’s sick that it costs so much and also that it’s in hd on sky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I saw Portugal Italy on virgin media three on sky go, was in HD. Dunno is it the same on Vodafone tv which is what I have

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Could spread it out a bit more across the day though. Bit disappointing there was no 5 p.m. Nations League game yesterday or today...Did they figure people were quite likely to knock off work early to catch a televised game on Thursday or Friday but not so much earlier in the week?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

I was at Sweden v Turkey last night. Better than any friendly I was ever at. Proper intensity to the game. As a replacement for friendlies it gets a thumbs up from me. The atmosphere was helped by a big crowd from Turkey at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

jaykay74 wrote: »
    I was at Sweden v Turkey last night. Better than any friendly I was ever at. Proper intensity to the game. As a replacement for friendlies it gets a thumbs up from me. The atmosphere was helped by a big crowd from Turkey at it.
    +1
    watched Italy v Portugal, France v Netherlands, England v Spain and Italy v Poland on telly and all looked like they were taking it very seriously (ask Luke Shaw!). The extra qualifier places seem to have given the games a bit of bite.
    I even had a look at the highlights of Faroes v Malta and that looked like a good game and for once the Faroes fans had something to cheer for, and the crowd was getting right into it, and for the likes of those teams this competition is fantastic .

I was at the Germany v France game in the Allianz Arena last week myself.
    It was a 70,000 odd sell out and the atmosphere was decent and better than any previous Germany full blown qualifier game I've been at, possibly because the home crowd will get more worked up about playing France as world champions in a game of some meaning than minnows like Ireland or Austria in a qualifier who they should easily beat.

If Ireland get beaten 4-1 by Wales in a pathetic display, it does not mean this entire competition is worthless . Maybe its seen as worthless by the irish players, but thats a different problem and has different causes than this being a new competition and new extra way of them qualifying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

It has been more interesting than if it had been a bunch of friendlies. Most teams are taking the matches seriously, and in most groups there will be 2 teams tussling it out for the play-off place (sadly, Wales and Denmark in our group).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I like it. Normally an international break means all of the teams playing on the same day. So you see Ireland play and thats it. With this new format we have got top level teams playing each other for five nights in a row on TV and theres been some good games, I really enjoyed England V Spain on Saturday night. I think its much better than what went before.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I like it. Normally an international break means all of the teams playing on the same day. So you see Ireland play and thats it. With this new format we have got top level teams playing each other for five nights in a row on TV and theres been some good games, I really enjoyed England V Spain on Saturday night. I think its much better than what went before.
    France and Holland was a good game. I think teams are taking it seriously a huge upgrade on pointless friendlies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Mushy wrote:
    I saw Portugal Italy on virgin media three on sky go, was in HD. Dunno is it the same on Vodafone tv which is what I have

Pretty sure it was HD on saorview too,picture was far clearer than TV3 ever was

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Pretty sure it was HD on saorview too,picture was far clearer than TV3 ever was

I watched it on Saorview and it most definitely wasnt HD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Muahahaha wrote: »

Thought the Wales v Denmark was a very competitive game. The players really got stuck in. Wouldn't see that level of commitment in a friendly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I like it myself and from what I've heard quite a few people do. I think it has potential.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Certainly far more interesting than international friendlies, that's for sure.

I saw the Spain England game and bits of the Italy Portugal game last night and they seemed like proper competitive ones. When the previous version was money-grabbing friendlies, this is much better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

STOP F"Cking singing Atomic Kitten ffs.

10 x worse than vuvuzuelas

Wow Spain leading 3-0 against Croatia at half-time.

Iceland losing 2-0 at home to Belgium which is not quite so surprising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,046 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Maybe goes to show that the WC was a strange competition this time round.

Spain also outclassed England last week. What could have been if they had got their act together in the WC?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Think Iceland are about to come back down to our level. Lars Lagerbäck and Heimir Hallgrímsson worked wonders with the squad available to them.

Maybe goes to show that the WC was a strange competition this time round.

Spain also outclassed England last week. What could have been if they had got their act together in the WC?

I saw a stat that Spain's last defeat competitively over 90 minutes was against Conte's Italy at Euro 2016.

The debacle involving Lopetegui before the tournament was such a shame. Dunno if they would have gone all the way had everything been rosy but they surely would have been close.

Asensio..................that is all (Edit............their are two tweets, one you have to press to see his second goal.............which is twice as good)

https://twitter.com/Off_BruitSports/status/1039596768999034880

https://twitter.com/lovefotball5/status/1039596922594619393

England vs Switzerland using the nations league soundbytes on TV3 despite being a friendly is odd & confusing.
    Dier, Loftus-Cheek & Delph as a midfield 3 is about as good as you could imagine. It's like trying to find the worst possible midfield combo of Spurs, City and Chelsea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I saw a stat that Spain's last defeat competitively over 90 minutes was against Conte's Italy at Euro 2016.

The debacle involving Lopetegui before the tournament was such a shame. Dunno if they would have gone all the way had everything been rosy but they surely would have been close.

Considering the side of the bracket they ended up falling on it could very well have cost them one. They were definitely going to be there or there about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Some finish from Isco. 6 nil to Spain!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Matchday Two Results
    France 2 V 1 Netherlands
    Ukraine 1 V 0 Slovakia
    Denmark 2 V 0 Wales
    Bulgaria 1 V 0 Norway
    Cyprus 2 V 1 Slovenia
    Georgia 1 V 0 Latvia
    FYR Macedonia 2 V 0 Armenia
    Liechtenstein 2 V 0 Gibraltar
    Portugal 1 V 0 Italy
    Sweden 2 V 3 Turkey
    Scotland 2 V 0 Albania
    Serbia 2 V 2 Romania
    Montenegro 2 V 0 Lithuania
    Andorra 1 V 1 Kazakhstan
    Kosovo 2 V 0 Faroe Islands
    Malta 1 V 1 Azerbaijan
    Iceland 0 V 3 Belgium
    Spain 6 V 0 Croatia
    Bosnia and Herzegovina 1 V 0 Austria
    Hungary 2 V 1 Greece
    Finland 1 V 0 Estonia
    San Marino 0 V 3 Luxembourg
    Moldova 0 V 0 Belarus

Wow 6-0 to Spain. Some statement made there.

Pleased for Lukaku to get 2 more goals tonight. 43 goals in 77 games so far with Belgium.

Bosnia gone top of NI's group thanks to Dzeko's winner against Austria.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

ERG89 wrote: »
    England vs Switzerland using the nations league soundbytes on TV3 despite being a friendly is odd & confusing.
    All Europe v Europe friendlies on Nations League nights are considered to be 'Nations League Friendlies' and are part of the same TV deal and have some cross-sponsorship and branding.
    (It's one step closer to a dystopian society, but there you go).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

All Europe v Europe friendlies on Nations League nights are considered to be 'Nations League Friendlies' and are part of the same TV deal and have some cross-sponsorship and branding.
    (It's one step closer to a dystopian society, but there you go).
    from the perspective of someone living abroad, the new rights deals are brilliant.

Before now, to get to see any ireland game outside of Ireland you needed all sorts of proxies or dodgy streams to get RTE or TV3, or if you're lucky sky uk/IRL would have it, meaning you could try and get a dodgy stream for them.

Now the national rights holder for the Uefa competitions can show all games through 1 contract which for me means paying a tenner a month to my local broadcaster DAZN (legal streaming crowd in Germany, Austria, Italy, Switzerland and even now Japan) and have all Euro League games from Faroes to Ireland live or delayed, in full or highlights.

I checked the list for matchday 2 games against the matches available and indeed every single one is there to watch in full, even the likes of Liechtenstein v Gibraltar , which is some change from getting literally no matches involving anyone except the home country.

Thursday 11th October
    League A
    Group 3

Poland V Portugal - Live on Sky Sports Red Button

League B
    Group 2

Russia V Sweden - Live on Sky Sports Red Button

League C
    Group 1

Israel V Scotland - Live on Sky Sports Main Event

Group 4
    Lithuania V Romania - Live on Sky Sports Red Button
    Montenegro V Serbia - Live on Sky Sports Red Button

League D
    Group 3

Faroe Islands V Azerbaijan - Live on Sky Sports Red Button
    Kosovo V Malta - Live on Sky Sports Red Button

Friday 12th October
    League A
    Group 2

Belgium V Switzerland - Live on Sky Sports Red Button

Group 4
    Croatia V England - Live on Sky Sports Main Event / VM 3

League B
    Group 3

Austria V Northern Ireland - Live on Sky Sports Football

League C
    Group 2

Greece V Hungary - Live on Sky Sports Red Button
    Estonia V Finland - Live on Sky Sports Red Button

League D
    Group 2

Belarus V Luxembourg - Live on Sky Sports Red Button
    Moldova V San Marino - Live on Sky Sports Red Button

Saturday 13th October
    League A
    Group 1

Netherlands V Germany - Live on Sky Sports Mix

League B
    Group 1

Slovakia V Czech Republic - Live on Sky Sports Football

Group 4
    Ireland V Denmark - Live on Sky Sports Football / Mix

League C
    Group 3

Norway V Slovenia - Live on Sky Sports Football
    Bulgaria V Cyprus - Live on Sky Sports Red Button

League D
    Group 1

Georgia V Andorra - Live on Sky Sports Red Button
    Latvia V Kazakhstan - Live on Sky Sports Red Button

Group 4
    Armenia V Gibraltar - Live on Sky Sports Red Button
    Macedonia V Liechtenstein - Live on Sky Sports Red Button

Sunday 14th October
    League A
    Group 3

Poland V Italy - Live on Sky Sports Football

League B
    Group 2

Russia V Turkey - Live on Sky Sports Red Button

League C
    Group 1

Israel V Albania - Live on Sky Sports Red Button

Group 4
    Romania V Serbia - Live on Sky Sports Football
    Lithuania V Montenegro - Live on Sky Sports Red Button

League D
    Group 3

Azerbaijan V Malta - Live on Sky Sports Red Button
    Faroe Islands V Kosovo - Live on Sky Sports Red Button

Monday 15th October
    League A
    Group 2

Iceland V Switzerland - Live on Sky Sports Red Button

Group 4
    Spain V England - Live on Sky Sports Main Event

League B
    Group 3

Bosnia V Northern Ireland - Live on Sky Sports Football

League C
    Group 2

Estonia V Hungary - Live on Sky Sports Red Button
    Finland V Greece - Live on Sky Sports Red Button

League D
    Group 2

Belarus V Moldova - Live on Sky Sports Red Button
    Luxembourg V San Marino - Live on Sky Sports Red Button

Tuesday 16th October
    League A
    Group 1

France V Germany - Live on Sky Sports Mix

League B
    Group 1

Ukraine V Czech Republic - Live on Sky Sports Red Button

Group 4
    Ireland V Wales - Live on Sky Sports Football / Main Event / S4C

League C
    Group 3

Norway V Bulgaria - Live on Sky Sports Red Button
    Slovenia V Cyprus - Live on Sky Sports Red Button

League D
    Group 1

Kazakhstan V Andorra - Live on Sky Sports Football / Main Event
    Latvia V Georgia - Live on Sky Sports Red Button

Group 4
    Armenia V Macedonia - Live on Sky Sports Football / Main Event
    Gibraltar V Liechtenstein - Live on Sky Sports Red Button

What about Virgin Media's showing of the games??? Will they still have a similar coverage as last time because it was very impressive

• Advertisement

Do we not even get home games on telly here?

What about Virgin Media's showing of the games??? Will they still have a similar coverage as last time because it was very impressive

Don't think they will have the same coverage now the Sports Channel is up and running

Patww79 wrote: »
    Do we not even get home games on telly here?

Nope looks like just England games

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

So nice to be finally able to say "Oh great, an International break" and not mean it sarcastically!

Football for 6 days straight with potentially great fixtures on every one of them :)

Not a Nations League game but Italy face Ukraine in a friendly, kicking off in a few minutes. Game is on Virgin Media Sport and Sky Sports Football.
    Italy XI: Donnarumma, Florenzi, Bonucci, Chiellini, Biraghi, Verratti, Jorginho, Barella, Bernardeschi, Insigne, Chiesa.

Ukraine XI: Pyatov, Karavaev, Burda, Rakitskiy, Matviyenko, Marlos, Zinchenko, Sydorchuk, Malinovskyj, Konoplyanka, Yaremchuk.

• Advertisement
Advertisement