Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help 1 Ram Good 2 Ram Bad!!!! Won't Post

Options
  • 11-10-2017 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys,

Currently: PC turns on....no video output...10 seconds restarts over and over.

Specs:
    cpu: i5 2500K
    ram: 8GB (2 x 4GB of DDR3 Crossair XMS)
    gpu: msi gtx 970
    psu: xfx 650W
    cooler: H80i
    mobo: P67A-GD55 B3

Note
    : When I remove the stick in slot 2 the PC seems to stay on. I have yet to check the video output.

Story:
    So recently installed a new cpu cooler and SSD.

I removed the old cooler and old drives. Cleaned thermal paste and reapplied new paste and connected up the SSD.

The cooler is H80i with a usb header connector...sata connector. Mad set up.

So booted fine, installing from old CD Win 7 64bit SP1, during driver install the computer switched off...and restarted tried a few more settings and switched off again.

CPU was insanely hot 80C while idle.

Somehow only had 50% cpu coverage with the paste. The PC never ran more than a few minutes like this so I'm hoping it hasn't burned out.

I've reseated everything and applied perfect pea size paste to centre of cpu and put everything back together and now I can't get the pc to post.

Ideas please????

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Try with just 1 stick of ram in and see if it posts.

Then try both sticks in the 2 ram slots to see if the slot or the stick of ram is the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

jonnycivic wrote: »
    Try with just 1 stick of ram in and see if it posts.

Then try both sticks in the 2 ram slots to see if the slot or the stick of ram is the issue.

So here are the results:

[ Slot 1 ] x
    [ Slot 2 ]
    [ Slot 3 ]
    [ Slot 4 ]

[ Slot 1 ] x
    [ Slot 2 ] x
    [ Slot 3 ]
    [ Slot 4 ]

No Post
    vvvvvvvvv

[ Slot 1 ] x
    [ Slot 2 ]
    [ Slot 3 ] x
    [ Slot 4 ]

[ Slot 1 ] x
    [ Slot 2 ]
    [ Slot 3 ]
    [ Slot 4 ] x

I used to have the two blue slots occupied 1 & 3. That worked fine always. Now I have no idea whats going on.

I've tried bumping the Dram voltage to 1.65V - no joy.

More ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

jme2010 wrote: »
    So here are the results:

[ Slot 1 ] x
    [ Slot 2 ]
    [ Slot 3 ]
    [ Slot 4 ]

[ Slot 1 ] x
    [ Slot 2 ] x
    [ Slot 3 ]
    [ Slot 4 ]

No Post
    vvvvvvvvv

[ Slot 1 ] x
    [ Slot 2 ]
    [ Slot 3 ] x
    [ Slot 4 ]

[ Slot 1 ] x
    [ Slot 2 ]
    [ Slot 3 ]
    [ Slot 4 ] x

I used to have the two blue slots occupied 1 & 3. That worked fine always. Now I have no idea whats going on.

I've tried bumping the Dram voltage to 1.65V - no joy.

More ideas?
    The slots are paired normally, 1&3 and 2&4. Did you try 2&4?

Lu Tze wrote: »
    The slots are paired normally, 1&3 and 2&4. Did you try 2&4?

yeah I tried that. I'm sure my mobo's manual requires slot 1 to be occupied at minimum to boot.

Next idea? This is bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭davyboy1975

Have you tried a bios update? Have seen a few laptops and pcs behaving like this lately and a bios update worked.
    Its just a suggestion though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Try with each stick one at a time in the correct socket that you know that works. If both work in that socket then you have a faulty socket if not you have a bad stick of RAM and will have to get more.

Try with each stick one at a time in the correct socket that you know that works. If both work in that socket then you have a faulty socket if not you have a bad stick of RAM and will have to get more.

Both sticks work in Slot 1 so I have good ram, agree?

also....

I can post with slot 1 & 2 occupied so slot 1 & 2 are good, yeah?

but ...

slot 1 & 3 will cause reboot loop no post
    slot 1 & 4 will cause reboot loop no post. (actually have to retest this one, I can't fully remeber)

I will try a bios update and report back.

Any more suggestions given the ram results above?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Yea, the RAM is obviously good. You have a faulty socket which is harder to fix than faulty RAM.

A bios update is not going to help it is a hardware problem. You obviously done something when you were reapplying the CPU cooler.

Advertisement