Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bread/Baking/Bicarbonate Soda

Options
  • 11-10-2017 12:15pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭

Is this correct? Are they the same?
    Bread soda = Baking Soda = Bicarbonate of Soda

I'm looking for the all purpose cleaning acidic one as cheap as possible.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Bread soda = bicarbonate of soda.
    Baking powder is different.
    Not sure about baking soda.

For cleaning, you want bread soda/bicarbonate of soda. Very cheap.
    It's not acidic, it is alkaline - the opposite of acidic.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

etselbbuns wrote: »
    Bread soda = Baking Soda = Bicarbonate of Soda
    yes they are all the same.

Baking powder has dry acid crystals in it. When it is added to liquid the acid crystals react with the bicarb and produce carbon dioxide gas, this causes bread or pancake batter to rise/expand. In other recipies just using bicarb you provide the acid in the mix, which could be buttermilk in bread, or lemon or vinegar. (I know you are cleaning but it is the food forum!)

Asian shops might have it cheap, never looked for it but just a guess. Tesco no longer seem to have their own brand, it was the cheapest.

A chemist might well get it in big tubs cheaper than the small ones in supermarkets. They might have "non food grade" stuff cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

I get a 500g box for 90c in Polostores. It's in a red box. It's clumpy so not good for baking but great for cleaning

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭etselbbuns

After some research, discovered MrPrice sell soda crystals 1kg for €1.
    Learning its magic properties.
    Why were we not told this in school instead of being told 'you need' a designated labelled product?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

Can you tell what you are cleaning with it ?
    What mix are you using ?
    thanks

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭etselbbuns

Can you tell what you are cleaning with it ?
    What mix are you using ?
    thanks
    Everything!
    You generally dilute with water depending. Use neat for drains and ovens.
    I used it to clean burnt parts on a pot, the hob. Poured it down the drain overnight to try to let the water drain faster.

Been using vinegar all the time for cleaning too - for example descaling a kettle, it's excellent with windows etc.
    I'm trying to expand my knowledge.
    http://www.dri-pak.co.uk/tips

Advertisement