Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returning products

Options
  • 11-10-2017 12:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭

What are people's experiences around returning mis-sold items?

I went into brown thomas at the weekend, up to the armani counter, handed them my mostly empty bottle of foundation (which I love btw, suits my skin, no reactions), and asked for a replacement in the same colour.

The assistant took a look at the bottle, had a look and said she couldn't find it. Gave it to another assistant, who came out with a new bottle and said this is it.

I paid, took it home, and yesterday put it on in the morning. 3 people at work asked me was I sick, said I looked very pale.

Checked the bottle. They gave me a colour 3 instead of 5. Wrong skin tone.

Where do i stand here? I've got the receipt, but I've opened it, used it etc. Am I being a cheeky mare asking for a replacement?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I'm not sure where you stand legally but the same happened to me in MAC and I was so cross. I bought a lipstick in Ruby Woo and requested a matching lip liner. She tested one on her hand, and it was a perfect match. I agreed to buy and she went to get me one from the drawer, there was none in the drawer so she went behind the counter to get one.
    I purchased both, got home, and realised that she had sold me "Embrace Me", a bright pink colour that would look awful with a red lip! It happened in NY so I'm assuming because I was clearly a tourist she just pawned me off. I was so angry though, and I've never used the lipliner.

I would at the very least go to the counter and query it, the foundation isn't cheap by any means and is of no use to you. Bonus points if you can get served by the same sales assistant that served you last time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Ah jeez. Pink with red? pfft.

Maybe there is a bit of buyer beware too though? I mean I accepted it, paid and left. I should have checked it maybe, but the lighting in there is godawful, I don't know how they get anything right with colours in there. I certainly couldn't tell the difference in the shop.

I know, exactly.. 50 euro and effectively for the bin. Grr.

Some make-up artists I know can tint a foundation up to a custom darker shade...

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭idunno78

I've read on the likes of beauty boxx if the fault was by the person who sold you the foundation they will swap it! Try go to the girl you went to originally! Also if you have the empty bottle show then that!! Go sooner rather than later tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I would definitely go back and politely but firmly make it clear that it was mis-sold and I need a replacement or refund please. I suppose we should all check and double-check everything we are buying, but you made it very easy for them to sell you the correct product so you had every reason to expect that what they handed you was correct!
    Whether they gave you the wrong one because they didn't have the right one and figured you wouldn't notice, or they accidentally handed you the wrong one because of the low lighting in store, either way you have a case and hopefully they will have the sense to sort it out rather than lose you as a customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

Bring it back with receipt and packaging and they will exchange it. It shouldn't be a problem but if it is insist on speaking to a manager!

• Advertisement

Scraggs wrote: »
    Bring it back with receipt and packaging and they will exchange it. It shouldn't be a problem but if it is insist on speaking to a manager!

I have receipt, but not packaging... recycling bin went out Monday with the packet in there.

yes, I will bring it back and see, but honestly I don't hold out much hope. And it's not conveniant this weekend to get in there. I wonder would a phonecall be worth a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

pwurple wrote: »
    I have receipt, but not packaging... recycling bin went out Monday with the packet in there.

yes, I will bring it back and see, but honestly I don't hold out much hope. And it's not conveniant this weekend to get in there. I wonder would a phonecall be worth a shot.

I used to work in another brand in the same store and people often returned mismatched foundations so I would be very surprised if they didn't allow it. Ring and talk to counter manager and explain story as you have here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

I've found BTs great for returning foundation if you were given the wrong shade.

A phone call is definitely worth a shot - they should exchange it no bother.

Let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 KatieBelle92

If you don't get anywhere from the shop you could try adding some darkening drops to the foundation. I know you can get some in The Body Shop but I've never tried them.

Just to update this, I went in with it and they were great about it.
    I didn't have the packaging, the product had been used, but I had the receipt and my loyalty card. Replacement was given , no quibble. Also, the manager who signed it off showed the salesperson the loyalty card history of purchases, and where it shows the colour on it if there is any uncertainty. So that's cool, and also handy for me to know there is a record of the colours if I ever want it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement