Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dolomites 2018 trip

Options
  • 11-10-2017 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭

Hi. I'm looking for advice as to where the best places are to base a group of club cyclists for a Dolomites trip in May 2018. Ideally somewhere that offers some flat cycling to recover from the mountain climbs if possible. Any advice from previous travellers to the area would be great. Thanks in advance.

Comments

I would recommend Toblach, (Otherwise known as Dobbiaco), small German speaking town. It has a train station, which means you could fly to Munich,and get the train down with only one change.
    It's close enough to the Drei Zinnenn mountains.
    In May, you could get a fair bit of snow on higher ground, I was there at the end of June last year, and lots of snow on the ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Muckers wrote: »
    Hi. I'm looking for advice as to where the best places are to base a group of club cyclists for a Dolomites trip in May 2018. Ideally somewhere that offers some flat cycling to recover from the mountain climbs if possible. Any advice from previous travellers to the area would be great. Thanks in advance.

Corvara or Badia are great, I can get you the name of the place I stayed in Badia in July if you like?
    I've also stayed in Arabba about 10km from Corvara and found it lovely. Its right at the start of Passo Pordoi which gives great access to the stunning Passo Gardena and Passo Sella loop.

Here you go - http://www.miaaltabadia.it/en/parus/
    I found it great, the woman who runs it is a lovely woman. Theyve a big garage you can use to store and work on the bike.
    Its self catering so not sure if thats your thing, but I loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Muckers

terrydel wrote: »
    I found it great, the woman who runs it is a lovely woman. Theyve a big garage you can use to store and work on the bike.

Where did you fly into?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

terrydel wrote: »

I think I might have stayed in that place, some years ago - lovely young woman running it (she must be 30 now...still young). We had B&B

Anyway, savage riding nearby, most of all the Fedaia, but several others too. Totally recommended.

There's a meat restaurant (Fleisch-stube) in the village; the cellar restaurant serves the most enormous platters of meat I've ever devoured.

• Advertisement

Muckers wrote: »
    Where did you fly into?

Treviso or Venice, I've flown to both and they are grand.

brownian wrote: »
    I think I might have stayed in that place, some years ago - lovely young woman running it (she must be 30 now...still young). We had B&B

Anyway, savage riding nearby, most of all the Fedaia, but several others too. Totally recommended.

There's a meat restaurant (Fleisch-stube) in the village; the cellar restaurant serves the most enormous platters of meat I've ever devoured.

Yes, Martina is her name, probably in her 30s.
    We locked ourselves out the night after the Maratona and after a few drinks we had to wake her up to let us in! she was great about us and even offered us another drink!
    Its a lovely location, stunning views from the bedroom balconys.

Corvara is a really nice spot, right in the heart of the mountains, spent a week there a few years ago hillwalking, recommend it,

Maybe the best walking in Europe. Cycling excellent too, although the many Dutch and German motorbikes can make some of the super-classics a bit tedious at times.

Maybe the best walking in Europe. Cycling excellent too, although the many Dutch and German motorbikes can make some of the super-classics a bit tedious at times.

I absolutely love the place and I'd move there tomoro if I could convince my girlfriend to go.
    Im a motorcyclist also so they dont bother me too much :P

• Advertisement

There's only one life, and one range of Dolomites. There are some hundreds of millions of possible girlfriends.

Advertisement