Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your First/Oldest Bike?

Options
  • 11-10-2017 1:12pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭

My Gran was cleaning our her shed over the weekend and found this

2znpjxe.jpg

Not sure if its my first propoer bike or not but is probably 30 years old.

Was bought from Staggs in Lucan before they changed the phone numbers

2zrotuv.jpg

So I would say its about 30 years old.

Thinking of doing it up for my 5 year old. Any idea where to get replacement parts/wheels?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Replace the brake cables, tyres, tubes and brake blocks and A bit of "elbow grease" to clean the surface rust off the wheel rims and frame (and maybe a bit of grease in the wheel bearings) and I'd say that bikes good to go! Looks to be it's in very good condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭VW 1

First proper one with two wheels was a Raleigh Bigshot which was received as an early xmas present.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Replace the brake cables, tyres, tubes and brake blocks and A bit of "elbow grease" to clean the surface rust off the wheel rims and frame (and maybe a bit of grease in the wheel bearings) and I'd say that bikes good to go! Looks to be it's in very good condition.

thats what I was planning. Just no idea where to get parts as the LBS doesnt do kids bikes

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,418 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

T'was something like this:
    430311.jpg

Hand me down from my big sister, who probably inherited it from her aunt or one of the cousins. Saw many years of service that thing

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

A Raleigh Bluebird. Just google searched it, the memories!
    Now cycling makes me really nervous so I don't anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭NBar

This was my first bike and think it's still in parents garage but I know it's been taken apart. Must take it out and fix it up

• Registered Users Posts: 14 jerseyman

A Raleigh Bluebird. Just google searched it, the memories!
    Now cycling makes me really nervous so I don't anymore.

Something similar but brown, remember the stabilisers coming off thinking I achieved so much

A Raleigh "Dodo" I believe...:o

430314.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

jerseyman wrote: »
    Something similar but brown, remember the stabilisers coming off thinking I achieved so much

I was the same!! My two friends in the estate had theirs taken off so I had to rush back home and get my dad to take them off so I wouldn't be the odd one out.
    We were the Cool Girls (in our own heads) after that. Ha, good times.

godtabh wrote: »
    thats what I was planning. Just no idea where to get parts as the LBS doesnt do kids bikes

Buy online or I'd try Eurocycles or Halfords if you have one locally.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I did up what looks like the identical bike a couple of years ago that has been through lots of family members. New tyres, tubes, and brake blocks from CRC, sand paper, elbow grease and some spray paint sourced locally. Makes for a great project to do a bike up with your kid and it ends up as a bike they take real pride in.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

First bike was a Triumph 20 folder, pretty close to the one below. I had chopper envy for years after.

IMG_7216a.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

None of the parts mentioned are 'kids bike' specific apart maybe from the tyres but that's just a matter of a size.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

The first bike I can remember having was a black Raleigh 'Max'. I thought it was the dogs whatyoucallthem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

07Lapierre wrote: »
    A bit of "elbow grease" to clean the surface rust off the wheel rims and frame.

Aluminium Foil. Wet the foil. Rub the rusted area. Rust sticks to the foil.

Like sorcery, but less effort!

Miklos wrote: »
    The first bike I can remember having was a black Raleigh 'Max'. I thought it was the dogs whatyoucallthem.

My first "Road Bike" was a 5 speed Elswick "Whirlwind".. I too thought i was the dogs you know what, until my mate turned up with a 10 speed bike! when I got my first 10 speed bike (a Dawes),my mate turned up with a 12 speed! some things never change! (we both have 22 speed's today, but his is Di2! ) :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Matt Bianco

First bike was a President BMX which seems impossible to find a photo of which is surprising as I remember them as a really popular brand in the 80's.

First road bike was a Falcon Scorpio which I adored but was unfortunately robbed while training with school ....... took a long time to get over that one ........

Falcon Scorpio.JPG

.....only to be replaced by a Raleigh Pulsar Aeorspoce Contour with it's cutting edge contoured frame

Raleigh Pulsar Aerospace Contour.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Andy Magic

Mmy first bike was a Raleigh Wildcat. I think this is what makes me like tan wall tyres nowadays

WildCat.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

^^^ The 80's had a lot to answer for!

When I was very young there was one of those Convertible things with solid tyres in the shed but I hated it - handed down from my older siblings.
    The first bike I remember thinking of as mine was a Raleigh Tomahawk - a miniature single-speed version of the Chopper.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Raleigh Burner for me

Stock image

yellow_burner_blowup.jpg

I had a few BMX's and had them through my teens, I had many a smashed up face trying to jump ridiculous objects, I was fearless and if I fell I made sure all my parts were still connected and tried again. I once had a broken arm for a week before I went to my folks telling them my arm was sore. The 80's and 90's were great.

I had a couple of mountainbikes then, a 10spd Townsend and then an 18speed Black Diamond Zoom that had an oversize downtube, pretty much unheard of in the early 90's :o

I stopped cycling at around 19 and then only got back into it 2 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

smacl wrote: »
    First bike was a Triumph 20 folder, pretty close to the one below. I had chopper envy for years after.

IMG_7216a.jpg
    I learned to ride on one of those! It belonged to my sisters!

Then I got a Universal a bit like this one, but mine was blue:
    monkey-bike-vintage-banana-seat-etobicoke-martingrove-eglinton_8219303.jpg

First racer was a Viking which ended up in bits so I got a Carlton Criterion which was stolen on the last day of my Leaving Cert. After that I "progressed" to a hybrid Peugeot Harvard which is still in service after 27 years. My dad uses it almost every day - he's 84! They're both in pretty good nick!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,326 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Raleigh Strika

strika.jpg

With a card in the back wheel for engine noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

First real bike was a Raleigh Chipper in yellow. Later got a Chopper in purple. First 'racer' was a 10 speed Viking

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

+1 on the Raleigh Burner. I'm sure I had some kiddies bike before that, but the Raleigh was my first 'proper' bike. I covered that thing in Kelloggs reflectors and stickers from all sorts of places.

I remember that we would jam bits of square plywood between the rear stays so it would rub against the wheel and produce a loud squeal. Fairly wore out the rear tyre pretty quickly.

After that, it was a succession of what we then called mountain bikes (probably closer to urban/commuter bikes of today) with an ever increasing number of gears. You were actually considered cool if you had a triple chainset and lots of cogs on the back!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Lots of Raleigh bikes!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Romet Wigry 3, to break the Raleigh combo:

40_122.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Mean Laqueefa

49689c85a618bbf8598d3c78f2945351--sound-effects-wolf.jpg

stock image, but mine deffo made some sound effects

always wanted this tho

v4_copy1_blowup.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

No recollection of what my first proper bike was like, might have been purple. Where is it now? Most probably part of the Dublin Bay land reclamation project!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,326 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Lots of Raleigh bikes!

There was a time in this country when you could only get Raleigh bikes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Andy Magic

Tony EH wrote: »
    There was a time in this country when you could only get Raleigh bikes.

And at the time it was great :D

Advertisement