Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your First/Oldest Bike?

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

This thread made me search out this post !

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=71250040

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

My first proper bike was a Raleigh Scorpion. The only thing I remember about it was that it weighed a freaking tonne. Must have been made out of iron or something although I was only little and probably just a weakling.

$_86.JPG

1st was a BMX in the mid 80's , no stabilisers mam or dad holding me up in the driveway until it got it. Brother had stabilisers on his that Christmas as he was younger but my bike had pegs on the back so used carry him standing on those :D

After that I had a blue townsend?? I think MB that saw me to school and 15km odd each way to see a girl :o for a 90's MB it was pretty light from what I recall and 18 speed shimano gearing certainly saw me cover ground better than what some cheapo bikes now would. Again it was a christmas bike at 14 or 15 and used until I was near 20.

Actually now I think of it I put some km's on that bike with zero punctures or maintenance .... poor bike, sorry for the abuse :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,598 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i just wonder what POS's are on sale at the moment that kids (now) will be reminiscing about in 20 or 30 years time?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

i just wonder what POS's are on sale at the moment that kids (now) will be reminiscing about in 20 or 30 years time?

I did up an old Raleigh with the youngest a few years back. Great fun project but ultimately a pretty poor bike with heavy frame and crap wheels. Got her a Frog to replace it which is fantastic. First bike we got the eldest, before I got back into cycling myself, was ok but later followed by a fugly piece of pink pig iron complete with tassles and full suspension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Torres09 wrote: »
    This will show up how old I am and how poor we were but first bikes a Universal with a "banana" saddle then upgraded to an Eska!!! (anyone remember them?) finally hit the jackpot when I got a Raleigh Burner, like above but in Red with White mag wheels.

Me and my brother got Eskas, first real big bike, one blue and one brown

Remember putting drop handle bars on it,

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I had some blue bike with solid tyres, initially stabilizers as my first bike.

First bike I remember loving was a Peugeot 5 Speed "Racer". Keep meaning to go outhouse hunting for it at the relations whilst my own children might fit it!

I also still have my first adult sized bike, also five speed Wiemann, rescued from the back of me mam's shed. I'm hoping to have a go at a restore as my commuter - some rust that I'm hoping is superficial, but has rack mounts and everything else I'd need!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Anyone buy their first bike here?
    (I worked in Charlies in the 80's)

http://www.rte.ie/archives/2015/0929/731070-bicycle-sales-soar/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,598 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

first time i remember going with my folks to buy a bike was paddy whelan's in dolphins barn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

My first proper bike was a Raleigh Scorpion. The only thing I remember about it was that it weighed a freaking tonne. Must have been made out of iron or something although I was only little and probably just a weakling.

$_86.JPG

my brother got one of these back in 1994 from Santa. My dad still uses it for going to see the sheep and cows!:P I used it for awhile in dublin. someone tried to "burn" (how do you burn a bike!) it in Citywest when i had locked in an underground carpark :rolleyes: but still going.

• Advertisement

myself and the brother got one of these each back in the day, Raleigh Mustang in blue/red/yellow:
    MjY5MjQ4N2QzNDA2ZjAyOGU5MDA3ZDM0YmFmYWFkODHOxf-rXOVxDqXStuxK-eKeaHR0cDovL2Itc3RhdGljLmFkc2ltZy5jb20vMjA5L2xhcmdlL2wwZjg4eGViMDFmZjk4YTM0NDBjY2NhMTIyZDYwYmY0NDNjMDEyLkpQR3x8fHx8fDY0MHg0ODB8aHR0cDovL3d3dy5hZHZlcnRzLmllL3N0YXRpYy9pL3dhdGVybWFyay5wbmd8fHw=.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

Did those Mustangs come in a black and white Friesian colour scheme at one stage? I vaguely recall a guy living near me had one.

outfox wrote: »
    Did those Mustangs come in a black and white Friesian colour scheme at one stage? I vaguely recall a guy living near me had one.

when i googled for that one i had it showed multiple different colours... looked a "friesian" one alright in there. shame, cos we had a dairy at the time and that would have been cool to have! haha :D

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Matt Bianco

49689c85a618bbf8598d3c78f2945351--sound-effects-wolf.jpg

stock image, but mine deffo made some sound effects

always wanted this tho

v4_copy1_blowup.jpg

Great footage of the Vectar arriving in Dublin here

http://www.rte.ie/archives/2015/0909/726706-computerised-bicycle/

Great footage of the Vectar arriving in Dublin here

http://www.rte.ie/archives/2015/0909/726706-computerised-bicycle/

I SOOOOO wanted a Vector :(

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

My first proper adult bike was a Raleigh Grand Prix 10 speed, in light blue. I've been monitoring Donedeal and ebay for 2 years to see if one comes up for sale, as I'd love to get one. If anyone out there comes across one, I'd be delighted to get my hands on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭8valve

Tony EH wrote: »
    [oldman]Certainly was. One thing you could say for them, they were built to last. Not like the crap you get today.[/oldman]

I run a bike recycling community initiative here in Waterford and regularly get in old raleighs and peugeots which are perfectly serviceable, due to the fact that they have been stored properly for decades. The only issue they usually have is perished tyres/tubes and rusted chains!
    Bikes were made properly then, from decent steel, with bombproof, if a little low end, parts.
    I get chain-store bought bikes less than five years old which are completely unsalvageable.

http://www.facebook.com/rebikeireland

Advertisement