Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2017-18 Champions Cup

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Castres
    icdg wrote: »
    Semi final TV picks

Champions Cup
    Leinster v Scarlets - Sky
    Racing 92 v Munster - BT

European Challenge Cup;
    Newcastle v Gloucester - BT
    Cardiff Blues v Pau - Sky

I wonder if faced with that lineup, BT exercised their first pick to take Newcastle Gloucester.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I wonder if faced with that lineup, BT exercised their first pick to take Newcastle Gloucester.

Interesting idea, but I doubt it because they knew Sky couldn't pick it with Sky's first pick, otherwise BT would end up with both ERCC semi-finals.
    So BT were going to get that game with Pick3 anyway.
    (Picks are alternate I assume).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Castres
    Interesting idea, but I doubt it because they knew Sky couldn't pick it with Sky's first pick, otherwise BT would end up with both ERCC semi-finals.
    So BT were going to get that game with Pick3 anyway.
    (Picks are alternate I assume).

If alternate pick

BT pick N v G
    Sky were always going to pick a ECC game
    BT were always getting the remaining game
    Sky get the other Parker Pen cup match

I dont think the picks are 1 & 4 v 2 & 3
    IIRC Sky got badly done on the re-arranged deal.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

The details of the 2014-18 TV deal were never fully publicly revealed but have a look at this article:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/club/10725732/First-call-for-BT-over-Sky-Sports-on-games-in-European-club-rugbys-brave-new-era-next-season.html

Seemingly how it was supposed to work in the pool stages:

1. The games in each competition were divided between those involving Premiership Rugby sides and those which do not.
    2. In the European Cup, BT had three first picks of those games involving PRL sides. Sky had three first picks of those not involving PRL sides. In the European Challenge Cup, the reverse is the case.
    3. There is a pick system for the remaining matches.

Seemingly a similar system was to operate for the quarter and semi finals but it was never revealed what would happen if all PRL sides were eliminated before the final. This year is the first time it’s happened.

Either there is some stipulation that if PRL sides are only involved in one competition, the pick system changes so that BT get the first pick of games across both competitions involving PRL sides, or Sky traded BT it’s first pick of games involving PRL sides in the European Challenge Cup so that it would get first pick in the European Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,828 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

If alternate pick

BT pick N v G
    Sky were always going to pick a ECC game
    BT were always getting the remaining game
    Sky get the other Parker Pen cup match

I dont think the picks are 1 & 4 v 2 & 3
    IIRC Sky got badly done on the re-arranged deal.

Is it BT who have all the Champions Cup Uk and Irish rights next year? Apart from channel 4 and tv3 showing a match each? Does it apply to Challenge Cup too from next season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Eod100 wrote: »
    Is it BT who have all the Champions Cup Uk and Irish rights next year? Apart from channel 4 and tv3 showing a match each? Does it apply to Challenge Cup too from next season?
    Yes BT have sole rights to games next season and that includes Challenge Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Exeter Chiefs
    So. Final tickets. How would one go about getting one? I guess there will be an allocation to finalises, but is that likely to be a highly restricted distribution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Montpellier
    They were on sale to the general public ages ago. I was just about to buy them but was convinced not to by the OH as we have too much on in May

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

errlloyd wrote: »
    So. Final tickets. How would one go about getting one? I guess there will be an allocation to finalises, but is that likely to be a highly restricted distribution.
    most tickets go on public sale but finalsists get allocation, rather small but plenty tickets can be bought in lead up to final. If a member of a club here it can be easier to find tickets but you need to be involved in club to assist getting tickets there....

• Advertisement

Exeter Chiefs
    most tickets go on public sale but finalsists get allocation, rather small but plenty tickets can be bought in lead up to final. If a member of a club here it can be easier to find tickets but you need to be involved in club to assist getting tickets there....

The public sale is long sold out right? So I am sort of relying on whatever gets distributed to the finalists. If it's Leinster v Munster I reckon that will be a highly oversubscribed avenue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

The public sale is long sold out right? So I am sort of relying on whatever gets distributed to the finalists. If it's Leinster v Munster I reckon that will be a highly oversubscribed avenue.

Hard to say - they always release them in tranches, making it seem like the supply is lower/demand is higher than it is. But I wouldn't rely on that either, at this late stage!

Being in Spain, you're likely to have less 'walk-in' attendances, but OTOH the capacity is almost 30,000 down on what you'd have for Twickenham / Stade de France finals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

If an Irish club gets there, the tickets will go to the season ticket holders. Given the difficulty in getting to Bilbao and the non-availability of accommodation, I would think that if you can get an access code for the ST sale, you'll be grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I'm a 2x STH and I won't be going, have a friend who should be playing in a different final in an inferior sport around then, give me a shout if you're still interested once we definitely qualify and I'll happily contribute whatever bits of my allocation I can.

Exeter Chiefs
    I'm a 2x STH and I won't be going, have a friend who should be playing in a different final in an inferior sport around then, give me a shout if you're still interested once we definitely qualify and I'll happily contribute whatever bits of my allocation I can.

Thanks IBF!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Blut2

Exeter Chiefs
    It'd be worth your while sorting out transport & accom now even before you have tickets if you're dead-set on going. Both of those are already a disaster as is, and its only going to get worse once the teams are confirmed (especially if one or both are Irish and bring lots of fans).

The direct Dublin -> Bilbao flights for that weekend are an eye-watering 800eur already (up from under 200eur on an ordinary weekend...). The accommodation situation is also apparently dire. My friends who are going are all taking really roundabout routes, and not staying in Bilbao itself. Flying into Madrid, then traveling to Bilbao, but staying in Pamplona or one of the surrounding near-ish cities etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,621 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

IBF, he is not a friend of he partakes in inferior sports. Cast your "friend" a aside and come back from the dark side before it's too late.

Exeter Chiefs
    Blut2 wrote: »
    It'd be worth your while sorting out transport & accom now even before you have tickets if you're dead-set on going. Both of those are already a disaster as is, and its only going to get worse once the teams are confirmed (especially if one or both are Irish and bring lots of fans).

The direct Dublin -> Bilbao flights for that weekend are an eye-watering 800eur already (up from under 200eur on an ordinary weekend...). The accommodation situation is also apparently dire. My friends who are going are all taking really roundabout routes, and not staying in Bilbao itself. Flying into Madrid, then traveling to Bilbao, but staying in Pamplona or one of the surrounding near-ish cities etc.

Yeah, we're doing it a bit awkwardly ourselves. Campers are booked. Camp site is booked. Flights are via Barcelona and the a long drive to Bilbao.

With not many local fans and 50k tickets sold already apparently, I'd say it's going to be mental, but I'm pretty much committed now.

Exeter Chiefs
    Ah nice, thats most of the worry taken care of at least. I'd say hopefully you'll get tickets easy enough through season ticket holders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Castres
    The direct Dublin -> Bilbao flights for that weekend are an eye-watering 800eur already (up from under 200eur on an ordinary weekend...).

if irish provinces make it there will be extra flights put on, just as with Bordeaux for Munster game

Yeah I booked in October and direct flight out even then was pricey! Going Dublin Stansted , Stansted Santander the Friday. Back Bilbao to Dublin the Monday. Working out at about just under 250e return which as I type doesn't seem that great ha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Riskymove wrote: »
    if irish provinces make it there will be extra flights put on, just as with Bordeaux for Munster game

If it's Munster v Leinster in the final, it'll be planes, trains and automobiles. Kayaks, Segways and diverted flying lesson flights. All aboard the nearest horse/donkey/small furry animal. (Me, I'm eating the corn, putting the fox in the bag, and going to the game with the chicken).

Castres
    who_me wrote: »
    If it's Munster v Leinster in the final, it'll be planes, trains and automobiles. Kayaks, Segways and diverted flying lesson flights. All aboard the nearest horse/donkey/small furry animal. (Me, I'm eating the corn, putting the fox in the bag, and going to the game with the chicken).

If it's a Munster v Leinster final, who wants to bet on which journalists writes the first article about how it should be moved to Croke Park?

I'll second that bet with odds that an online petition to get Leo Varadker to get them to move it to Croke Park gets over 10,000 signatures.

#CrokerOrBroker

Exeter Chiefs
    Just saw a headline on the Irish Times that Leinster SF tickets are considerably more expensive than Munster tickets. Thanks ECPR, real good of you.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Castres
    Just saw a headline on the Irish Times that Leinster SF tickets are considerably more expensive than Munster tickets. Thanks ECPR, real good of you.

munster tickets from €15, €30, €40 + €55

leinster tickets has about 8 different ranges from €12.50 to €90

edit: actually i just checked whats available for sale right now... so when it goes for general sale the cheapest ticket will be €40 to a max €70

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

The reason is that Munster are apparently only playing a quarter-final while Leinster are playing a semi-final. :D
    Tickets are now on general sale for Munster’s Champions Cup quarter-final against Racing 92 at the 34,263-capacity Stade Chaban-Delmas in Bordeaux on Sunday, April 22 (4.15pm local time).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Exeter Chiefs
    sydthebeat wrote: »
    munster tickets from €15, €30, €40 + €55

leinster tickets has about 8 different ranges from €12.50 to €90

edit: actually i just checked whats available for sale right now... so when it goes for general sale the cheapest ticket will be €40 to a max €70

It's also worth noting that the facilities in the Aviva are a lot better than those in the SCD, with better seats and views etc. There is nothing even close to a premium level there. It would be interesting to see the type of seats in both stadiums at the various price points. You know, compare like with like and all that.

Castres
    molloyjh wrote: »
    It's also worth noting that the facilities in the Aviva are a lot better than those in the SCD, with better seats and views etc. .

absolutely they do not compare at all

but also you need to consider that Bordeaux may not sell out while there is high demand for the Leinster game

having said that I paid €60 for my ticket to Leinster SF and €55 for the Munster SF so not exactly a huge difference

Exeter Chiefs
    The demand level would have to be a factor too.

Exeter Chiefs
    In France tickets are generally way cheaper too from my experience. We really don't know what is going on behind the scenes in terms of stadium rental etc.

If I was Racing Metro fan, and comparing our situations I'd be pissed. Leinster fans pay more for the ticket, but most Leinster fans won't need to buy expensive transport to get to the Aviva.

Anyone else order tickets for final via Ticketmaster fr? Ordered in January, paid 25 for postage and still nothing. I know it's a month away but kinda creeping up now..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,603 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Anyone else order tickets for final via Ticketmaster fr? Ordered in January, paid 25 for postage and still nothing. I know it's a month away but kinda creeping up now..

And 25 euros to send a letter from France to Ireland??? WTF

Akrasia wrote: »

And 25 euros to send a letter from France to Ireland??? WTF

Just says soon.. Rang and with my rusty French got told they would be posted a week beforehand. I know, crazy price. I assume it's registered post but still. Think I paid similar for RWC tickets and they were only coming from England!

So what's the craic with 20th place Champions Cup Qualification?

Champions Cup winner, if not already qualified.

All semi-finalists guaranteed to qualify from their leagues.

European Rugby Challenge Cup winner, if not already qualified.

Challenge Cup losing finalist, if not already qualified.

Challenge Cup semi-finalist, if one has not already qualified (or the winner of a play-off between the semi-finalists, if both have not already qualified).

Gloucester v Newcastle. Newcastle already qualified. Gloucester currently 7th.

Cardiff v Pau. Cardiff look likely to qualify. Pau 5th but 3 teams close behind.

Highest ranked non-qualified club by virtue of league position from the same league as the Champions Cup winner.

Bit of an odd one, would have thought it would go Champions Cup semi-finalist if not already qualified..

Exeter Chiefs
    Well Gloucester are now in 6th. So if all stays as is and a pro14 team wins, Ulster will presumably qualify without the need for a playoff?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Exeter Chiefs
    Currently in:

Pro14 (6): Munster, Glasgow, Cardiff, Leinster, Scarlets, Edinburgh
    Aviva (6): Exeter, Saracens, Wasps, Newcastle, Leicester, Gloucester
    Top14 (6): Montpellier, Racing 92, Toulon, Lyon, Toulouse, Castres

Pro14 playoff: Ulster vs Ospreys

A healthy number of new teams! Those in bold were not in this year's Champions Cup. Pau are currently in 7th in the Top14 and could still sneak in. Sale are 7th in the Aviva and could still replace Leicester.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Currently in:

A healthy number of new teams! Those in bold were not in this year's Champions Cup. Pau are currently in 7th in the Top14 and could still sneak in. Sale are 7th in the Aviva and could still replace Leicester.

Excuse my ignorance, but why are Benetton not in from the PRO14? I thought there had to be at least one Italian team?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Exeter Chiefs
    thelad95 wrote: »
    Excuse my ignorance, but why are Benetton not in from the PRO14? I thought there had to be at least one Italian team?

No. The guaranteed spot per country was scrapped.

Exeter Chiefs
    Currently in:

Actually currently Pau are in regardless. They're the 20th team right now, the only semi finalists I'm the challenge cup that isn't currently qualified. The only way they lose that spot is if Gloucester drop out.

Think a win today for Toulouse at home vs Racing brings them from 5th to 2nd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Predicting there will be at least one Munster man in the final

Castres
    Interesting looking back at the poll above.

No votes for Racing, Montpelier with 5. Saracens well out in front despite barely making the knock outs.

The semi finals if drawn from the poll above would have been

Saracens V Munster
    Leinster V Montpellier

This could be Munsters best chance of making the final with many powerhouses out or not fussed with this

Castres
    PTH2009 wrote: »

well at least there is definitely an irishman or two in final regardless of teams

Exeter Chiefs

No votes for Racing, Montpelier with 5. Saracens well out in front despite barely making the knock outs.

Saracens V Munster
    Leinster V Montpellier

A week after this thread opened, Robert Kitson published this article. Saracens hype was insane!

PTH2009 wrote: »

You've hedged your bets there.. :) D.R for Racing, Beirne for Scarlets?

• Advertisement

Saracens V Munster
    Leinster V Montpellier

Suppose would have thought at least 1 of the finalists from last season would have made the semis..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

You've hedged your bets there.. :) D.R for Racing, Beirne for Scarlets?

Don’t forget Limerick man, Sean Cronin ;)

Castres
    Suppose would have thought at least 1 of the finalists from last season would have made the semis..

Yeah it's an odd one. Saracens are still a good team with a good squad. It's quite unusual that they've come apart in Europe so badly this year.

I thought they actually did quite well against Leinster and on their day could have taken a scalp against most of the last 8 teams, they just left themselves too much work to do by their performance in the pool stages.

To be fair to Clermont, injuries have robbed them of any kind of a season. They probably won't even qualify for Europe next year but if they did I wouldn't be surprised to see them right back up at the top table if they could keep their players fit.

Racing vs Scarlets final

Bit of an anti climax for us Irish

Exeter Chiefs
    They probably won't even qualify for Europe next year but if they did I wouldn't be surprised to see them right back up at the top table if they could keep their players fit.

Definitely won't. 14 points off 6th with two games remaining.

• Advertisement
Advertisement