Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2017-18 Champions Cup

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Bleyendaal choked in the Euro SF and pro12 final last year.
    Did he?
    turnikett1 wrote: »
    Sexton choked against Clermont and Scarlets last year. What's your point? Bleyendaal has a higher ceiling than Keatley as does JJ. What's your solution? Scrap Bleyendaal altogether because of a few bad games? He needs to be given another season, minus injuries, to really see where he stands. Same with JJ. Both need a run of consistent run of games with Murray in the sidecar. JvG had the balls to drop Zebo, which at the same almost everyone agreed was the right call (not in hindsight obviously), I hope he has the balls to move on from Keatley and give JJ a true shot at out-half. He has the natural talent.

There are no other options. Munster don't have the money for a flashy SR-winning out-half from down south. Any excess Leinster fly-halves are going to Ulster (which seems to be off the cards now). We need to work with what else we have. We really have persisted with Keatley for far too long. Not to use him as a scapegoat for any bad that Munster does but I'm not sure it's a mere coincidence that Munster haven't won anything since Keatley replaced O'Gara in what will be a solid 8 years ago :/
    JJ has not shown enough as a 10 for me. I would love him to go back as a 12 but that wont happen. JJ has been given more than enough chances and hasnt ever gotten ahead of Keatley. And as others have said there is a lot more than just Keatley for Munster not winning anything the last 8 years.
    Pining Munster not winning anything on Keatley is damn unfair. Munster when winning european titles as well as all those leagues had an international pack, and back ups close to that standard and an international half back pairing with ROG being the 10.. That isnt the case at all now.
    Burkie1203 wrote: »
    I don't think Bleyendaal is good enough either. I can't see him getting any better if he is constantly out of action.

JJH may be worth persisting with but Scannell seems to be fairly level headed and goes well as a second play maker. Munster need some consistency at out half at the very least.
    Bleyendaal is good enough or has shown to be when fit but staying fit has been the problem. Think JJ needs to look beyond being a 10. Cant seem to stick there at all....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Castres
    Pining Munster not winning anything on Keatley is damn unfair.

I agree, and we could do with a few more top level players to help with depth

An issue isn't Keatley per se but the absence of a 10 at the level of other recent champions winning teams is a big factor. JJ, Blyndenaal etc probably wouldn't have changed anything this week.

I think it is really key and it would be rare for a team to win nowadays without
    a Sexton, Wilkinson, Farrell etc type player pulling the strings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,828 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

errlloyd wrote: »
    This is actually an unknown and there is an important reason why. As things stand the play off would be between Ospreys and Ulster. But the 8th ranked eligible pro14 team is actually Benneton, who are in 5th (like ospreys) and on more points than ospreys. For what it's worth they also come from Leinsters conference.

So I've no idea what would happen in this situation, but if Ospreys qualified ahead of Benneton I'd be disappointed.

Edit, also for the record. It doesn't need a Cardiff win. In fact any semi finalist from the challenge cup can claim a qualifying spot, if the ones ranked ahead of them aren't already qualified. Cardiff, Newcastle and Gloucester are probably going to qualify, but it needs Pau to take back 6th in the top14.

I think I've confused myself tbh.

Looks like if Champions Cup winner, Challenge Cup winner, losing finalist and losing semi-finalists are already qualified then it goes to:

v) Highest ranked non-qualified club by virtue of league position from the same league as the Champions Cup winner

So I don't think Cardiff winning comes into it because they are already qualified from the Pro14..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Racing 92
    Pau are currently in 7th and play Montpelier away and Toulon at home to finish the season so very possible they'd finish in 7th and get the last Champions Cup spot.

This is assuming Gloucester hold onto 6th place or better, if they don't then they'll qualify in 20th spot for getting to the final regardless.

The other losing semi-finalist Newcastle are currently in 4th but only five points above 7th in the table. We could have a Newcastle v Pau playoff if both finish outside top 6 in their respective leagues and Gloucester finish 6th or better.

Cardiff are already qualified.

So, if those three teams finish 6th or higher in their leagues, then 20th spot could go to Benetton if Leinster win the Champions Cup

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Pau are currently in 7th and play Montpelier away and Toulon at home to finish the season so very possible they'd finish in 7th and get the last Champions Cup spot.

This is assuming Gloucester hold onto 6th place or better, if they don't then they'll qualify in 20th spot for getting to the final regardless.

The other losing semi-finalist Newcastle are currently in 4th but only five points above 7th in the table. We could have a Newcastle v Pau playoff if both finish outside top 6 in their respective leagues and Gloucester finish 6th or better.

Cardiff are already qualified.

So, if those three teams finish 6th or higher in their leagues, then 20th spot could go to Benetton if Leinster win the Champions Cup

Could go to Benetton if Benetton finish on higher points than the loser of the playoff for the 7th Champions' Cup spot.
    So if the loser is Ospreys, Benetton would get the 20th spot.
    Otherwise Ulster would get it.
    In those circumstances Ulster would be certain of qualifying in one of either 7th or 20th spot.

• Advertisement

Racing 92
    Could go to Benetton if Benetton finish on higher points than the loser of the playoff for the 7th Champions' Cup spot.
    So if the loser is Ospreys, Benetton would get the 20th spot.
    Otherwise Ulster would get it.
    In those circumstances Ulster would be certain of qualifying in one of either 7th or 20th spot.
    Yes, but I'm assuming Ulster at home can beat Ospreys who are pretty much a travesty this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Nakarawa player of the tournament. The guy is an awesome player.

But he'll only have a runners up medal.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Yes, but I'm assuming Ulster at home can beat Ospreys who are pretty much a travesty this season.

They were a travesty. Look at their results since the chance of coach. They almost beat Ulster a couple of weeks ago in Belfast and were missing a rake of players too.

Ulster should beat them but the Ospreys will put in a big showing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 King Chili

Any Munster fans with match tickets not going to Bilbao and looking to offload the tickets?

King Chili wrote: »
    Any Munster fans with match tickets not going to Bilbao and looking to offload the tickets?

No still going! ☺️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Ospreys scrum will dominate Ulster's and they have a better goalkicker than Ulster in Biggar.
    Ospreys are on a great run and I'd fancy them to take Ulster especially if the evening is anyway damp.

Looking like Pau won't make 6th so don't think it will get to Leinster winning the CC in terms off CC places next season..

Racing 92
    Eod100 wrote: »
    Looking like Pau won't make 6th so don't think it will get to Leinster winning the CC in terms off CC places next season..
    2 points off 6th place and last game is at home but it's against Toulon who themselves are looking to secure 2nd place and a home semi, so yeah it doesn't look likely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Machenaud looks like he just picked up a nasty knee injury against Bordeaux. Couldn't put any weight on it coming off

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

What absolute butchery for that Imhof try!
    One simple pass and Bordeaux score and end up coughing up a field-length intercept score.

Long ppd season for any team making it to Pro14 semi or final. Final on 26th. First test in Australia is 9th June.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

What absolute butchery for that Imhof try!
    One simple pass and Bordeaux score and end up coughing up a field-length intercept score.

Must be his birthday, another absolute gift.

Machenaud looks fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Must be his birthday, another absolute gift.

Machenaud looks fine.

Yeah he looks better now, still a slight limp. Iribaren came back on for him even though it was clearly not a head injury...

According to Chavancy, Machenaud twisted his knee. No indication on severity yet. He returned to the bench with his knee strapped.

He wasn't going to feature next week I imagine so we may not know his availability until the team is named for the final. His absence would be a big blow for Racing.

With Pro14 league over and 1 round of league to go in Premiership and Top 14, here's how things are looking for Champions Cup spots:

If Gloucester aren't already qualified, they will get 20th spot as Challenge Cup winner/finalist. If Pau aren't, then will get it as CC semi-finalist.

If both already qualified, Pro14 get another spot if Leinster win Champions Cup. No idea how this works, no need for play-off spot?

Pro 14 do if Racing win.

Pro14

A
    Glasgow
    Munster
    Cardiff

B
    Leinster
    Scarlets
    Edinburgh

Play-off for 7th spot: Ulster v Ospreys weekend of 18th to 19th May'

Premiership

Exeter (80)
    Saracens (72)
    Wasps (66)
    Newcastle (63)
    Leicester (58) (Home to Sale)
    Gloucester (56) (Away to Saracens)

Sale (54) (Away to Leicester)
    Bath (51) (Home to London Irish)

Top 14

Montpellier (81)
    Racing (75)
    Toulouse (74)
    Toulon (73)
    Lyon (66)
    Castres (64) (Home to Oyonnax)

La Rochelle (62)* (Home to Stade Francais)
    Pau (62) (Home to Toulon)

* Think they are ahead cause of better head to head with Pau

• Advertisement

Racing 92
    If both already qualified, Pro14 get another spot if Leinster win Champions Cup. No idea how this works, no need for play-off spot?
    The playoff will still take place regardless as Pro14 is guaranteed 7 qualified team places. Since the winner of the playoff will qualify they don't become one of the "not already qualified" teams mentioned when talking about the 20th spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭typhoony

Just read report that Machinaud is out for the rest of the season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

What do people think of the chances of ticket availability in bilbao? I was in Edinburgh last year but in no way can I use that as a gauge. We had them going over but could have picked up any amount over there. I was back and forth for months deciding whether to book then decided I wasn't going but changed again last night and booked with my mate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

typhoony wrote: »
    Just read report that Machinaud is out for the rest of the season

Was already hard to see past Leinster for the title, but that would surely seal it.

🤪

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Exeter Chiefs
    Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Was already hard to see past Leinster for the title, but that would surely seal it.

It's confirmed: Torn ACL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Very sad for Machenaud. I think Leinster would do it if he was playing, but it makes it that much easier. Teddy Iribaren to come in? Good kicker AFAIR, but no Machenaud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

As great as this is for Leinster, it would have been great to play against a Racing team with him in it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Sangre wrote: »
    As great as this is for Leinster, it would have been great to play against a Racing team with him in it.

Meh, I'm happier he is not there. The history books will forget he wasn't playing and frankly by about half-time I may well be in a state of forgetting he's not playing. I will whether or not we win though.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Meh, I'm happier he is not there. The history books will forget he wasn't playing and frankly by about half-time I may well be in a state of forgetting he's not playing. I will whether or not we win though.

Tend to agree. The record books don't tell of how Leicester were without the England starting outhalf in the 2009 final.

• Advertisement

Exeter Chiefs
    Buer wrote: »
    Tend to agree. The record books don't tell of how Leicester were without the England starting outhalf in the 2009 final.

They were down their second choice 10 / centre as well: Aaron Mauger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Castres
    The record books don't tell of how Leicester were without the England starting outhalf in the 2009 final.

Leinster were also missing their starting outhalf!

They were down their second choice 10 as well: Jeremy Staunton.

Jesus. That's harsh on them. They loaned him for the week from Wasps and he got injured?!

Exeter Chiefs
    Jesus. That's harsh on them. They loaned him for the week from Wasps and he got injured?!

Gawd dammit wait a few minutes before replying. :pac:
    I mixed up Mauger and Staunton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Podge_irl wrote: »

This unstoppable CC run has turned me into an old romantic. I suspect I'd have a different tune if we hadn't been utterly dominant in every game since Exeter in the Aviva.

I mixed up Mauger and Staunton.

Said nobody, ever. :pac:

• Advertisement

Exeter Chiefs
    Said nobody, ever. :pac:

Yeah yeah :pac:

:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

Managed to jump on the Aer Lingus "Sale" yesterday afternoon. €278 for the 07:10 outbound and 23:25 return.

Put a shout out on twitter for a match ticket and was sorted in minutes.

Some day trip this will shape up to be!

Eponymous wrote: »
    Managed to jump on the Aer Lingus "Sale" yesterday afternoon. €278 for the 07:10 outbound and 23:25 return.

Put a shout out on twitter for a match ticket and was sorted in minutes.

Some day trip this will shape up to be!

Apparently people paid double earlier . Seems mad

Yeah. I wouldn't be too impressed myself if the shoe was on the other foot, but then again, there was no way I would have considered paying those prices. Even €278 plus match ticket is silly money, but a little more justifiable to the domestic authority.

Eponymous wrote: »
    Yeah. I wouldn't be too impressed myself if the shoe was on the other foot, but then again, there was no way I would have considered paying those prices. Even €278 plus match ticket is silly money, but a little more justifiable to the domestic authority.

I paid about the same for return flights back in October. And have to go through London to Santander on way out so you did pretty good!

• Advertisement

I paid about the same for return flights back in October. And have to go through London to Santander on way out so you did pretty good!
    I was looking into it last week and came up with a route for €242 but it was insane:

Dublin-Madrid (spend Friday night in MAD) -San Sebastian
    Sat night in San Sebastian for an early flight back to MAD on Sunday
    MAD - LHR - DUB (7.5 hour layover in LHR).

So in context, it's pretty good alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

http://click.tmclient.ticketmaster.com/?qs=a93f3705c621834224b383493ead3b02b5c167480a358e475b6f8e93aa6df507c9baeba77c715b52ec922e820c21b8b05d55e91b8baed89f54888deeb6255bf5

Public sale on for tickets. I got the 4 I needed earlier. Cheapest were 60 each but they've cheaper categories up now

Racing 92
    The 2018/2019 Champions Cup 20th spot goes to Gloucester as they've now finished 7th in the Premiership.

Exeter Chiefs
    2018/19:

Pro14: Glasgow, Munster, Cardiff, Leinster, Scarlets, Edinburgh, Ulster OR Ospreys
    Aviva: Exeter, Saracens, Wasps, Newcastle, Leicester, Bath
    Top14: Montpellier, Racing 92, Toulouse, Toulon, Lyon, Castres

Exeter Chiefs
    2017/18 teams that failed to re-qualify for the Champions Cup:
    Harlequins, Northampton Saints, La Rochelle, Clermont, Benetton, Ulster OR Ospreys

Racing 92
    Qualified Teams:

Pro14:
    - Glasgow
    - Leinster
    - Munster
    - Scarlets
    - Edinburgh
    - Cardiff Blues
    - Ulster/Ospreys**

Premiership
    - Exeter
    - Saracens
    - Wasps
    - Newcastle
    - Leicester
    - Bath
    - Gloucester*

Top14:
    - Montpellier
    - Racing 92
    - Toulouse
    - Toulon
    - Lyon
    - Castres

* Ulster v Ospreys playoff for Pro14 qualifying spot no.7 (Kingspan - May 20th 3:05pm)
    **Gloucester qualify in overall spot no.20 for reaching the Challenge Cup final but failing to make the Aviva Premiership top 6.

Edit: And Thomond beats me to it my minutes :rolleyes::pac:

Racing 92
    Challenge Cup

Pro14:
    - Connacht
    - Zebre
    - Benneton
    - Dragons
    - Ulster/Ospreys*

Premiership
    - Sale
    - Northampton
    - Harlequins
    - Worcester
    - Bristol**

Top14:
    - La Rochelle
    - Pau
    - Clermont
    - Bourdeaux
    - Agen
    - Stade Francais
    - Oyonnax***
    - Perpignan/Grenoble****

Continental Shield Finalists:
    - Enisey-STM (Russia)
    - Heidelberger RK (Germany)

* See above.
    ** Newly promoted Bristol get the last spot, London Irish relegated.
    *** Oyonnax enter a relegation playoff with the loser of the Pro D2 final
    **** Winner of Pro D2 final (Perpignan or Grenoble) get a spot, loser enters playoff explained above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

It would be good to see Perpignan back in the Top 14 again.
    That playoff between the Russians and Germans - does the winner get into Challenge Cup yes?

It would be good to see the Germans getting in.

Benetton
    Is it a new thing where no italian teams in the champions cup?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Is it a new thing where no italian teams in the champions cup?
    Qualification solely on league position now.
    Announced for this season about a year ago...

• Advertisement
Advertisement