Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2017-18 Champions Cup

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Racing 92
    It would be good to see Perpignan back in the Top 14 again.
    That playoff between the Russians and Germans - does the winner get into Challenge Cup yes?

It would be good to see the Germans getting in.
    Both teams are into the Challenge Cup for just getting to the final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Is it a new thing where no italian teams in the champions cup?

If Bennetton had finished above Ulster, they would be in the playoff.

In saying that, I can’t help but feel an element of injustice in that Benetton finished with 10 more points than the Ospreys yet because of the conference system, it’s the Ospreys who get the playoff spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

To get the Germans in the Challenge Cup would be a nice trip. After googling, Heidelberg is only 50 miles south of Frankfurt, so easy flight access. It has a Christmas market and is a university town.

Random fact: the actor Michael Fassbender was born there.

Just a heads up for people travelling to Bilbao via the ferry from Cork to Santander, it is been reported that the ferry has cancelled its first sailings next week as the Irish port authorities haven't yet given the all clear to the ferry. There was also a delay in Brittany ferries receiving it.

From another thread on ferry travel
    I'm surprised it hasn't made the news here but headline news in Santander today was the cancelling of tomorrow's inaugural ferry to Cork. For the second time!
    http://www.eldiariomontanes.es/cantabria/viaje-inaugural-ferri-20180505221153-ntvo.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

To get the Germans in the Challenge Cup would be a nice trip. After googling, Heidelberg is only 50 miles south of Frankfurt, so easy flight access. It has a Christmas market and is a university town.

Heidelberg is a lovely town alright - incredibly picturesque so quite different to a lot rugby trips! Drinking beer from a boot is a thing there if I remember correctly :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,011 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Is the final only on Sky Sports or is it also on BT Sport?
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Is the final only on Sky Sports or is it also on BT Sport?
    Thanks

It's on both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

thelad95 wrote: »
    If Bennetton had finished above Ulster, they would be in the playoff.

In saying that, I can’t help but feel an element of injustice in that Benetton finished with 10 more points than the Ospreys yet because of the conference system, it’s the Ospreys who get the playoff spot.

Treviso had Dragons and Kings in their conference, so Ospreys conference was more competitive. There should be no circumstances where points total in your conference is used as a measuring stick against points total in the other conference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

Played there a few years ago. Their own ground pavilion is about the size of St. Mary's in Templeogue, so they'd probably move their home games to accommodate a larger crowd.

If they do play at home, their clubhouse is outside of town and about 5 minutes walk from the nearest tram stop which will take you to the train station.

Heidelberg itself is a great spot. Some nice stuff to see during the day and in the evening it's pretty hectic. There's a street that runs parallel to the main street and it's full of bars and cafes.

So, yes, it probably would be a great rugby weekend!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭FineAle

I have 1 spare ticket for sale for the Final this Saturday. PM if interested..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,828 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Just a heads up theres an Aer Lingus flight Dublin to Bilbao Friday afternoon for 95e. Coming back will be an issue tho I'd imagine..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Exeter Chiefs
    Random piece of trivia about Bilbao, rugby, and Racing for anyone who is a history person.

Rugby in Spain was originated by an Englishman named Stuart Nicholson in Bilbao, who turned to Racing Club when he wanted eye-catching opposition for a three-team tournament, also involving British and French exiles, in Barcelona in 1901.

Racing 92
    Looks like a healthy enough crowd in for this one

The in-goal areas look tiny :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Castres
    Looks like a healthy enough crowd in for this one

30,000 tickets sold apparently

Yeah decent crowd all considered.

• Advertisement

Racing 92
    Navidi off, big blow for Cardiff

Navidi off with his arm in a sling already... Not good for Cardiff...

Those are really very small in goal areas, probably won’t be space for Tomás to hand the ball to machenaud this time.

Racing 92
    thelad95 wrote: »
    Those are really very small in goal areas, probably won’t be space for Tomto hand the ball to machenaud this time.
    Espeacially when he's sitting on the sideline :pac:

Nice kick and try there

Castres
    Unfortunate for Navidi, but at least he's finally gotten some recognition this season. Quality player with a great work ethic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Castres
    That's shocking from the second last man. Rugby 101

Billy Burns looks way too skinny to be a pro rugby player

Jesus the blues are having no luck here. Another arm injury.

Standard not magic here, feels more like a league game rather than European cup final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Cardiff need to attack around the ruck. Glaws are not really defending there and gaps are showing.

Game on.

Racing 92
    Austin Healy disagreeing with a refereeing decision.
    In other news, the sky is blue.

Ball went backwards from Amscombe there.

Like the way Cardiff are throwing the ball around.
    Jarrod Evans at 10 is highly rated in Wales too.

Exeter Chiefs
    Looks like a very decent crowd there which is great to see.

Never understand when a scrum half just stands there watching a flanker come in to poach the ball. I know it's not their primary job but if there's nobody else around to do it just protect the fecking ruck....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Bazzo wrote: »
    Never understand when a scrum half just stands there watching a flanker come in to poach the ball. I know it's not their primary job but if there's nobody else around to do it just protect the fecking ruck....
    You end up with no energy and forwards playing 9 and you get cleared out! its also just not a nine's first instinct, they might be reading the play and not focusing on winning the ball.

You end up with no energy and forwards playing 9 and you get cleared out! its also just not a nine's first instinct, they might be reading the play and not focusing on winning the ball.

Obviously not saying they should clear out every ruck... Williams just stood with his hands on his hips watching Polledri come in and jackal over the ball, he didn't even move. He should have enough awareness of where his players are to know there's nobody else to protect the ball, especially as a scrum half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Scarlets
    Some finish

Racing 92
    Get in!

What a kick from Anscombe after missing the conversion.

Well done Cardiff and a great game.

Racing 92
    Cardiff deserve to win just for that audacious cross kick alone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Superb appetiser, well done Cardiff, another bit of Silver for the Pro14

Exeter Chiefs

Very poor stuff.

• Advertisement

Racing 92
    Updated table - Champions Cup:

Pro14:
    - Glasgow
    - Leinster
    - Munster
    - Scarlets
    - Edinburgh
    - Cardiff Blues
    - Ulster/Ospreys*

Premiership
    - Exeter
    - Saracens
    - Wasps
    - Newcastle
    - Leicester
    - Bath
    - Gloucester

Top14:
    - Montpellier
    - Racing 92
    - Toulouse
    - Toulon
    - Lyon
    - Castres

Updated Table - Challenge Cup:

Pro14:
    - Connacht
    - Zebre
    - Benneton
    - Dragons
    - Ulster/Ospreys*

Premiership
    - Sale
    - Northampton
    - Harlequins
    - Worcester
    - Bristol

Top14:
    - La Rochelle
    - Pau
    - Clermont
    - Bourdeaux
    - Agen
    - Stade Francais
    - Perpignan
    -
    Grenoble

Continental Shield:
    - Enisey-STM (Russia)
    - Heidelberger RK (Germany)

Notes:
    • Perpignan won the ProD2 final and automatic promotion beating Grenoble 38-13
    • A week later Grenoble beat Oyonnax 47-22 in the relegation playoff securing their Top14 and Challenge Cup place.
    • Enisey-STM beat Heidelberger RK 24-20 in the Continental Shield final. Both teams qualify for making the final.
    • Only Spot left undecided is the last Pro14 Champions Cup qualifier. The Ulster v Ospreys playoff will be played on May 20th - 3:05pm @ The Kingspan)

Team rankings for pool selection wont be finalised until completion of domestic league finals.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Updated table - Champions Cup:

Pro14:
    - Glasgow
    - Leinster
    - Munster
    - Scarlets
    - Edinburgh
    - Cardiff Blues
    - Ulster/Ospreys*

Premiership
    - Exeter
    - Saracens
    - Wasps
    - Newcastle
    - Leicester
    - Bath
    - Gloucester

Top14:
    - Montpellier
    - Racing 92
    - Toulouse
    - Toulon
    - Lyon
    - Castres

Updated Table - Challenge Cup:

Pro14:
    - Connacht
    - Zebre
    - Benneton
    - Dragons
    - Ulster/Ospreys*

Premiership
    - Sale
    - Northampton
    - Harlequins
    - Worcester
    - Bristol

Top14:
    - La Rochelle
    - Pau
    - Clermont
    - Bourdeaux
    - Agen
    - Stade Francais
    - Perpignan
    -
    Grenoble

Continental Shield:
    - Enisey-STM (Russia)
    - Heidelberger RK (Germany)

Notes:
    • Perpignan won the ProD2 final and automatic promotion beating Grenoble 38-13
    • A week later Grenoble beat Oyonnax 47-22 in the relegation playoff securing their Top14 and Challenge Cup place.
    • Enisey-STM beat Heidelberger RK 24-20 in the Continental Shield final. Both teams qualify for making the final.
    • Only Spot left undecided is the last Pro14 Champions Cup qualifier. The Ulster v Ospreys playoff will be played on May 20th - 3:05pm @ The Kingspan)

Team rankings for pool selection wont be finalised until completion of domestic league finals.

So Gloucester got the last Champions Cup spot? 18 spots for 3 leagues in Challenge Cup, 5 extra for Pro 12 {excluding SA teams), 8 for Top 14, 5 for Premiership. Would Grenoble and or Bristol have missed out if Gloucester didn't get Champions Cup space? Or are my maths off?

Racing 92
    https://twitter.com/Murray_Kinsella/status/996325748687429632?s=19

Pool draw to take place June 20th

• Advertisement

Racing 92
    Eod100 wrote: »
    So Gloucester got the last Champions Cup spot? 18 spots for 3 leagues in Challenge Cup, 5 extra for Pro 12 {excluding SA teams), 8 for Top 14, 5 for Premiership. Would Grenoble and or Bristol have missed out if Gloucester didn't get Champions Cup space? Or are my maths off?
    No, every team in the top 3 European leagues gets to play in either of the European competitions.

No, every team in the top 3 European leagues gets to play in either of the European competitions.

Yeah that's what I was thinking but thought there might be an extra spot freed up with Gloucester getting the 20th Champions Cup place.. But I guess that 20th spot is always in the mix and part of CC qualification and basically Challenge Cup all the other non-qualified teams. Head still fuzzy from Bilbao!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Looking to next year, I was trying to see what teams will be best placed to be therebouts to win next season's title. To be honest, I'm not sure any of the fancied teams are actually strengthening. Leinster are losing Nacewa and Murphy. Racing are losing Carter, Tales, Nyanga and Andreu. Finn Russell and Zebo aren't going to make up for that.

Clermont are losing a number of wise old heads but don't have much coming in. Toulon are similar with Habana, Clerc, Vermeulen, Suta and Lobbe all leaving. They've signed Webb, Messam and Andreu but that's still a net loss.

Saracens are much of a muchness. Losing a few fringe guys, gaining a few fringe guys. But some key guys like Barritt, Bosch and Wigglesworth are another year older. Wasps might be well placed to go on a good run with Sopoaga and Shields coming in although they're losing some good depth and experience.

I reckon Munster should be very well placed to have a real crack next season if they can stay fit and have a coherent game plan. It hinges on how they deal with their outhalf issue. I'm not sure they know themselves what their best backline is although I wouldn't be shocked to see Taute revert to the back three at some point if they've a full deck to deal from to get their best players on the field.

Racing 92
    Eod100 wrote: »
    Yeah that's what I was thinking but thought there might be an extra spot freed up with Gloucester getting the 20th Champions Cup place.. But I guess that 20th spot is always in the mix and part of CC qualification and basically Challenge Cup all the other non-qualified teams. Head still fuzzy from Bilbao!
    Yeah that's about right. If not Gloucester then it would have been Pau or Ulster and so on down the the line.

Buer wrote: »
    Looking to next year, I was trying to see what teams will be best placed to be therebouts to win next season's title. To be honest, I'm not sure any of the fancied teams are actually strengthening. Leinster are losing Nacewa and Murphy. Racing are losing Carter, Tales, Nyanga and Andreu. Finn Russell and Zebo aren't going to make up for that.

Clermont are losing a number of wise old heads but don't have much coming in. Toulon are similar with Habana, Clerc, Vermeulen, Suta and Lobbe all leaving. They've signed Webb, Messam and Andreu but that's still a net loss.

Saracens are much of a muchness. Losing a few fringe guys, gaining a few fringe guys. But some key guys like Barritt, Bosch and Wigglesworth are another year older. Wasps might be well placed to go on a good run with Sopoaga and Shields coming in although they're losing some good depth and experience.

I reckon Munster should be very well placed to have a real crack next season if they can stay fit and have a coherent game plan. It hinges on how they deal with their outhalf issue. I'm not sure they know themselves what their best backline is although I wouldn't be shocked to see Taute revert to the back three at some point if they've a full deck to deal from to get their best players on the field.

Leinster were 1/7 with the bookies there straight away after the final. I would see them as one of the favourites but that's a ridiculous price. Don't know what sort of pool they will get and still 2 knock-out games before reaching a final.

There's no Clermont this season though! Maybe Toulon or Racing could have a decent season.

La Rochelle did relatively well in this year's pool stages but now they're in Challenge Cup. Montpellier don't seem to go too well in Europe. Will be fairly interesting!

• Advertisement
Advertisement