Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using iPhone as hotspot for ps4

Options
  • 11-10-2017 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Can this be done? Changing broadband providers & the old one is being switched off on 29th October & new one not being installed til 31st & then can take up to 72 hours to activate so potentially 4/5 days with no broadband which happens to coincide with my sons mid term break aaaaahhhhhh.

I know he'll survive but if he could use the phone it would make my life easier :-)

He mainly plays fifa18 or battlefield online.

Thanks.

Edited to add we are with three network.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Yes once your on an iPhone 5 or higher you can hotspot.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 AlisonN

jonnycivic wrote: »
    Yes once your on an iPhone 5 or higher you can hotspot.

Yes we both have iPhone 6's & unlimited data so that's brilliant. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Not all mobile providers allow it. For example some people say Vodafone charge them for tethering from their phone while personally I was never charged.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Darra6h

lertsnim wrote: »
    Not all mobile providers allow it. For example some people say Vodafone charge them for tethering from their phone while personally I was never charged.

My cousin used to hotspot from Vodafone also but never got charged a tethering fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭dudeeile

I've tethered using voadfone a lot and never had any charges, I'm gonna say a lot more people would use tethering now as opposed to a few years back. I'd use it regularly on the laptop and just the odd time for gaming if the house line was down.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

You have to be very careful tethering. Three can’t seem to stop their own customers, but they have hit legacy O2 customers with massive bills. Vodafone have different plans, which have different APNs some of which allow tethering, AFAIR.

People would have used tethering a lot more over the last few years but the operators wouldn’t allow them in most cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,976 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Your phone usually has 2 APN's (3 if you include MMS). It knows when it's tethering and selects the chargeable APN, but if that APN isn't there, it will still work...

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Donne

What's the situation with 3?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭dudeeile

I think the best thing you could do, if you plan on utilising this, is to get on the the network reps here and get the official line.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=241

• Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭3DataModem

I’ve tethered for years on 3 no extra cost. Netflix, work via VPN, the lot.

• Advertisement
Advertisement