Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Evil Within 2

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Going to wait for reviews. I really wanted to enjoy the first one but it swung wildly from being good to utter crap, mostly the latter. Couldn't be bothered to finish it in the end.

It's one of those games I don't get the popular opinion on and think the majority of reviewers were spot on about, that it was a big disappointment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

I'm gonna wait on reviews as well. The first one started brilliantly. After a few chapters it got very boring for me and I ended up dropping it. If reviews are positive and mention the atmosphere remains tense throughout I'll give it a go.

• The first game was a great experience. Can't wait for this.
    The DLC was excellent also.

The difficulty didn't take to some people and that's why I feel they didn't stick it out.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Apparently it's a much better game than the first. The director of the dlc has taken over for this game. I heard the dlc for evil within was way better than the Base game.

• Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Apparently it's a much better game than the first. The director of the dlc has taken over for this game. I heard the dlc for evil within was way better than the Base game.

The DLC is excellent. It does have better pacing compared to the main game.
    And tbf it's lengthy considering your typical DLC these days.
    Takes about 8 hours to complete part 1 & 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    The DLC is excellent. It does have better pacing compared to the main game.
    And tbf it's lengthy considering your typical DLC these days.
    Takes about 8 hours to complete part 1 & 2.

The DLC is the only thing that helped the game make any sense at all. The base game was a bit of a confusing mess, although I did enjoy it, and the DLC helped to fill in the gaps of what actually happened. There was very tense stealth in the DLC as well.

Some of the insta-deaths in the main game were a pain in the arse though - hoping there's a little less of those.

I'll definitely pick this one up but it'll be a couple of months when the price comes down. Making my way through Witcher 3 at the moment and nothing else is really getting a look in at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Pretty non-existant marketing for this. Bit odd

• Registered Users Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

That's young people these days for you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Yeah, I had no idea this was coming out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

Picked it up earlier. Only played the first 2 chapters but liking it so far. Runs well with a GTX 1070 at 1440p at high settings. Getting about 70fps.

• Just completed it on nightmare, that was one of the best games of the year

The ending few hours were amazing

When I get a chance il make a substantial post about this as it deserves it

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭DarC_Kn1ght

Thought it was great also, just finished classic mode. Only gripe i had was Sebastians voice work was poor. But still a great game.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

dammit, watched the first one on youtube and felt it wasn't a game I'd like. Been watching the second thinking "I could play this" Probably get it now.

• Thought it was great also, just finished classic mode. Only gripe i had was Sebastians voice work was poor. But still a great game.

What's classic mode exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭DarC_Kn1ght

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    What's classic mode exactly?

Hardest difficulty, you only get 7 saves for the whole game plus no green gel or weapon parts. Its a tough challenge. Knowing when to use your saves is key.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Pixelbastardo

Holy **** this game is fooking brilliant. I wasnt expecting this openworld hub setup, it kind of feels like SH Downpour done right and better on every front. Atmosphere is stop on, enemies are still freaky as fook and combat is fun. Im no chapter 11 now with like 13 hour play time. Everything feels improved upon from the first game, its just better all round so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 MARKone84

the game looks outstanding, but Resident Evil: Biohazard ticked all my PSVR boxes!

• Console command that enables first person mode on PC! Looks class!!

https://www.vg247.com/2017/10/23/how-to-play-the-evil-within-2-in-first-person-mode/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

This is only £20 on Amazon today for Black Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

I'm a bit meh so far, some good action but the open world thing rankles a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 5 fogartyl

One of the games of the year for me. Excellent story, characters, pacing and world. You can be either stealthy or all out attack. Open world stuff is optional but skipping side-quests would be a huge disservice as some of the high points are outside the main mission. For those of you not familiar with the Evil Within, do not worry about not having played the first one. There are callbacks to the first game but it's not critical. Game is anywhere from 15-20 hours. Boss fights are satisfying as well and there is plenty of incentive to replay the game with additional items/difficulty modes. It's at a reduced price on amazon and will probably be a deal out of the 12 days of christmas on PSN (keep an eye on the store every 48 hours).

The sequel is MUCH better than the first game it's not even close. Makes me wonder if the first evil within was released a few months too early.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

It picked up a lot for me and I did enjoy it overall but I'd still favour the first game over it.
    Especially when you take the DLC into account.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Redo91

sweetie wrote: »
    It picked up a lot for me and I did enjoy it overall but I'd still favour the first game over it.
    Especially when you take the DLC into account.

Is there a sort of GOTY edition of the first that includes all the dlc?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 fogartyl

Redo91 wrote: »
    Is there a sort of GOTY edition of the first that includes all the dlc?

The season pass costs like E10 which includes all the DLC. I tried looking for a GOTY edition but no luck. I hope the DLC for the new game gets us playing as another character again like the first game!

Evil Within is a good game also but I remember coming away from it being disappointed. It just felt rushed. There are problems but overall it is a good survival horror game.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭da gamer

Horror season is upon us so I started this today. Loved the first game, hopefully this is as good if not better.

• da gamer wrote: »
    Horror season is upon us so I started this today. Loved the first game, hopefully this is as good if not better.

Play the harder difficulty. It's a much better experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭brady12

So off for two weeks and last week I dipped into my backlog to play and finish prey 2017(unreal). This week I waited for immortals of aveum reviews before deciding that or backlog to pass time before Starfield. Loved 1 one the hardest and scariest games I played, I found other horror games a walk in the park after it ! I'm at the village now and seems be semi open world I'm liking it so far the claustrophobic nature of 1st game I wont miss if this continues half open world 😁

• Advertisement
Advertisement