Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Has Boards changed your outlook on life?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Boards has helped change my view on some topics. Some very controversial topics.

Exposure to the oppositions point is very important. Surrounding yourself with only those who agree with you is quite dangerous in my opinion*

*this opinion may or may not change in the future

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

It has made me think that there are a lot of introverts out there harbouring deep resentment towards cool people.

Times have changed pal - introverts are now the cool people, the previous social cools have now been found out via Facebook etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

People are rarely so keen for an argument nor do they ask for links in real life :)

Source?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

One of the reasons I don't get too involved in the more robust discussions around here is my lack of links. I have all of these opinions and views but zero evidence to back them up:p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gn_-2-wO62c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Pero_Bueno

Nope, hasn't changed me - but it is worrying the amount of bigoted Islamic radical apologists that are on here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cbreeze

I like Boards.ie

There are plenty of interesting people with many opinions on all kinds of topics. Some very helpful information can be found there.

Some threads are useful and honest, some are not. An example is of an original poster who asks an innocent question - then sixty replies later you haven't a clue what the original question was as the whole thing has degenerated into sniping, with swear words cunningly disguised with '*' or 'x'.

Grammar and the correct use of punctuation is a challenge for about 25% of posters. 'There' is often used for 'their' and apostrophes are routinely placed in front of the letter 's' even if the possessive case is not intended.

The worst kind of ranting and trolling seems to take place in the early hours when the ranter or troll is tired and emotional.

This might be a bit of a rant!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

I've become more entrenched in some views after debate on boards. I've moderated some other opinions based on compelling arguments.

There's a few posters that I'll pay particular attention to when discussing certain topics due to proven expertise.

I am more inclined to believe that there are dicks out there though. I used to be far more inclined to believe that people generally meant well.

Samaris wrote: »
    I've become more entrenched in some views after debate on boards. I've moderated some other opinions based on compelling arguments.

There's a few posters that I'll pay particular attention to when discussing certain topics due to proven expertise.

I am more inclined to believe that there are dicks out there though. I used to be far more inclined to believe that people generally meant well.

It's amazing how different human perspective can be. Why is it that a forum can cause some to believe there are more dicks out there and it will give the opposite view to others? Is it down to our own default position in life? I will see the good before the bad that's what stands out to me the most around here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

If anything, Boards has given me an inner glow. The sort of glow that comes from realising that I'm not the only fcukwit out there!
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

It's amazing how different human perspective can be. Why is it that a forum can cause some to believe there are more dicks out there and it will give the opposite view to others? Is it down to our own default position in life? I will see the good before the bad that's what stands out to me the most around here.

I have always been very idealistic, likely naively so. Deliberate assholeishness does still take me aback, but I've become more inured to it with exposure.

I've chatted with some awesome posters who seem to be genuinely nice people as well, and appreciate them, but it doesn't stand out to me, because I tend to default to expecting people to be decent. So the dicks stand out for me.

Samaris wrote: »
    I have always been very idealistic, likely naively so. Deliberate assholeishness does still take me aback, but I've become more inured to it with exposure.

I've chatted with some awesome posters who seem to be genuinely nice people as well, and appreciate them, but it doesn't stand out to me, because I tend to default to expecting people to be decent. So the dicks stand out for me.

I see what you mean. The gobshítes stick out like sore thumbs when you're used to expecting people to be decent :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

My ears were burning :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Dexter Bip

OP asked whether Boards had changed one's outlook on life.

Reading through this thread it seems that Boards == AH. Does anyone ever visit the other forums? If so, it might prompt one to ponder things like:

Is the Domestic Waste Disposal forum the Leitrim of Boards?

Do you look differently upon the world having perused the Beards and Facial hair forum?

Have you waited for the Godot of someone ever posting again in geocaching?

Maybe you have smiled at the ingenuity of those clever people over in lifehacking
    or taken vicarious pleasure at following the two year rebuild of a basket case of a classic car that turns out to be a beauty in the Motors forum
    Or shared your holiday tips and tricks on the Travel forum?

I find that the more time goes on the less forums I visit - just laziness to be honest and it's a shame as there is so much else on here.
    I do find AH a bit predictable these days - very articulate and clever people posting but much of it just gets dragged into some dogma or other. I seem to remember it was a lot more lighthearted in the past.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Ive been wrongly murdered and lynched on boards.

Me too buddy, me too. ;)

Boards introduced me to the game of Werewolf which is pretty damn awesome and something that when I started playing I was scratching my head thinking; 'Why have I never done this before' but more importantly, when can I play again? :pac: (Cheap plug coming)

Next game is October 22nd if anyone is brave enough to sign up we still have a few slots left.

I don't really get involved in anything else to be honest. Couple of comments here, couple of comments there (mainly stick to PW forum).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jk23

Boards and Internet forum/chat sites have made me forget to a point what it was like pre 08 when I didn’t use social media and didn’t get all my news and google solutions to problems online.

The internet and sites like boards.ie are a great resource.i use adverts so much and it has been a blessing. However like previous posters have mentioned.. it does really open your eyes to a lot of underlying hatred/intolerance of certain groups whether they be people, what they do or what they have. I kind of feel it gives you an insight into people’s outlooks around Ireland and sometimes it’s scary

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Mainly that people online type and give strong opinions on issues that they would never say to your face if you met them in person.

It's very easy to vent anger and bigotry online from the safety of the anonymity of an online username.

EDIT: I've learned quite a few things by being on certain forums that I'd usually not gravitate to. Also that some posters have had very difficult lives and experiences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I can say in the last 10 years that the amount of serious debate about politics, current affairs, history etc has plummeted to the point it is almost non existent.

Between 2008-2010 I can recall some fierce debates with other usual suspects posters.

Nowadays, Boards seems to be filled with more trivial matters like gaming, iphones, celebrities etc. It seems IMO to moved from serious debates to people asking asking questions about all sorts of trivial matters. Now don't get me wrong- there is a place for that it's just the lack of real arguements/debates seems to have disappeared and it's all just a bit meehhh....

That's the posters fault as opposed to Boards. The fire in the belly is gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Pero_Bueno wrote: »
    Nope, hasn't changed me - but it is worrying the amount of bigoted Islamic radical apologists that are on here.

Zero?

The fictional character you describe only exists the minds of those who make this statement.

Said fictional character is a straw man. It's created so you can vent. Nobody here sympathizes with Islamic radicals. It doesn't happen, no matter how you try to twist the words of those you falsely believe to be Islamic radicals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Yes.

Before Boards, I used to just think people from Cork were c**ts. Whereas now, I know they are...

Advertisement