Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property sold, ad still online

Options
  • 11-10-2017 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭

How long would an ad for a sold property continue to be live online? A family member bought a property over a year ago and a google search of the address shows the ad, marked as sold. I assume it is a form of advertising for the estate agent. Has the owner a right to get the ad removed in the interest of privacy?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

How long would an ad for a sold property continue to be live online? A family member bought a property over a year ago and a google search of the address shows the ad, marked as sold. I assume it is a form of advertising for the estate agent. Has the owner a right to get the ad removed in the interest of privacy?

What privacy exactly? If it's the price, well that'll be on the property price register.

If you go onto Daft and search for houses in the area, I'd hazard a guess that it won't show up, so therefore the ad isn't exactly live

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

It seems to be more or less random; some estate agents leave them up forever, some remove them immediately. I'd imagine most would remove it if asked. Other details of the house are often still available somewhere or other, and obviously it'll be on the PPR, so not sure where privacy comes into it really.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭waxon-waxoff

Price is public knowledge.

Its the interior pictures of the 1980's decor that they dont like being on the internet a year later. They renovated the place and are considering renting a room on Daft.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

So you think people will see the room on Daft, search for the address, see the old decor and think the Daft ad is fake?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Johngoose

It is the auctioneers love of saying "oh that one's sold." Suppose it gets people in a panic too.They think "God they are selling like hot cakes!"

• Advertisement

Effects wrote: »
    So you think people will see the room on Daft, search for the address, see the old decor and think the Daft ad is fake?

No, she doesnt want two ads to appear when you google the address. One being old and showing the place in a poor state.

No, she doesnt want two ads to appear when you google the address. One being old and showing the place in a poor state.

I really can’t see how it’ll make any difference. Anybody with half a brain will notice that the old ad which is marked as sold is....eh....old! And the place was obviously bought and done up

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

If she's worried, though, she should just ask the EA; I doubt they'd mind taking it down.

rsynnott wrote: »
    If she's worried, though, she should just ask the EA; I doubt they'd mind taking it down.

Emailed agent a week ago but they didnt reply or remove ad. She found the agent to be pushy and rude at the time of buying so reluctant to contact him personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

Emailed agent a week ago but they didnt reply or remove ad. She found the agent to be pushy and rude at the time of buying so reluctant to contact him personally.

That email is on the low priority list. Tell her to get over her reluctance to deal with the EA & call in & request the ad is removed if it bothers her that much. Or do it on her behalf. It won't happen otherwise.

I'm off now to see if the for sale ad for my house with the photos of the 90s wallpaper borders & burgundy tiles is still up online.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

I agree with the privacy issue - some people may see it and think current owners have just sold. In some cases you'll have gawkers outside just in case the "sale falls through" - many people don't know the difference between "sold" and "sale agreed"

If agent is using it to effectively promote sold houses, then that's ok for a reasonable period, but not a year.

CeilingFly wrote: »
    I agree with the privacy issue - some people may see it and think current owners have just sold. In some cases you'll have gawkers outside just in case the "sale falls through" - many people don't know the difference between "sold" and "sale agreed"

If agent is using it to effectively promote sold houses, then that's ok for a reasonable period, but not a year.

:confused:
    The only way the ad can be seen is if the specific address is googled. It won't come up in a new search on Daft so nobody will see it to think it's just sold

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Askthe EA

This may be nothing to do with the EA. Often old ads are in a cache on google and can be retrieved.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 TT rainbows

EA busy with selling new places. You can web search and find a load of old ads. Some websites compile ads and they go back years- well after they have been sold or removed from market. EAs interest to be polite to you if you are moving yourself or others you know in a few years so should respond to a request to remove. However after you talk (not email) them to request it - Id call next day or whatever day they say they can remove it. They are always in and out of places and propety so will just keep it on a to do list unless you are a bit persistent. Have seen a good few EA own websites which have a lot of ads that are marked sold on daft but still for sale on their own website or facebook pages.

Advertisement