Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extratropical Storm Ophelia - Technical Analysis Only - MOD NOTE post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

MJohnston wrote: »

I remember I knew some families on the US East coast, and when they knew there was some heavy snowfall on the way, they'd fill the bathtubs with water, just in case!

I vaguely remember my parents doing that here in Dublin at some stage in the 80s with talk of freezing and burst pipes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

So the general consensus is that Cork will get a hammering? Have a house in West cork, by Rosscarbery so wondering if I need to scrap my plans and go down there this weekend to tie everything down! Directly across from the Ocean in Owenahinca!
    I was down there during a storm and I remeber the road being covered in foam. I suppose your biggest problem would be flooding.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Fire up the powerbanks. Get a few batteries for the torches, a few candles (and matches!), I never remember to have them. Water is unlikely to be cut off but no harm to get a few bottles anyway. Food that you can eat without cooking it. If you only have electricity that is.

That's my priority prepping!

Getting very worried now, but have to park it till Saturday. We might know more tomorrow though.

Thank you to all who have the knowledge to interpret all the charts, and the inside track and are keeping us posted. Will be keeping an eye on this thread.

So this is likely the time where I'll be kicking myself for not getting a generator...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

gfsgif.pl?start=60;end=96;im=jsslp;dbdate=20171012;dbtime=12

MLNYSje.thumb.gif.e7333af25ecc7ca0d815d9081190a642.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

The overriding message here from all sources (met.ie, met office, NHC) is that until the storm turns and begins accelerating it's very difficult to be certain of anything.

In 24 to 36 hours, it gets easier. And I'm no expert by any means but that's the message I'm interpreting from both all of those sources and the regulars here, especially MT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,898 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Just looking at the maps from the nhc and are the times on that EST or Irish times ?

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Just looking at the maps from the nhc and are the times on that EST or Irish times ?

AST, same as ET for the moment. 5hrs behind us.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,955 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Mooooo wrote: »
    So this is likely the time where I'll be kicking myself for not getting a generator...

I think we will survive for a few days without electricity if worst comes to worst.

Babies, elderly and those with special needs is a different story though.

I hope this passes way to the West of us. Sorry to all the storm chasers, but honestly who would want the mayhem. OK if it is in unpopulated places. But most people don't want it anywhere near them.

Snow is a different matter though (I think)...:P:P:P

• Registered Users Posts: 28,424 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I'm torn between staying at home on Monday to keep an eye on things and going in to work, I'm starting to fear I could come back to a ruin!

How will your being at home stop the wind taking the roof off :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,184 ✭✭✭pad199207

When stormchasers from the UK and The Continent are contemplating flying over here to IRELAND to intercept a hurricane, ya know something big and unprecedented is coming! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I would rate the probability this way:

35% _ some part of Ireland in level 3 warning

30% _ highest alert level 2

25% _ highest alert level 1

10% _ some other outcome

Some other outcome would include a miss to east or far enough west to avoid even a level one, or Ophelia not passing the Azores or heading for Spain etc.

Not sure how one can ever verify such statements except to do same for many events and see what the scatter of actual outcomes is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Floki

I think we will survive for a few days without electricity if worst comes to worst.

Babies, elderly and those with special needs is a different story though.

I hope this passes way to the West of us. Sorry to all the storm chasers, but honestly who would want the mayhem. OK if it is in unpopulated places. But most people don't want it anywhere near them.

Snow is a different matter though (I think)...:P:P:P

He probably has a thousand cows to milk though.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭pauldry

Yes this is exciting if dangerous

Gerard from Met Erring on the side of caution

To me whatever occurs it will be windy for quite a number of hours. May escape rainfall like Desmond but wind will be prolonged.

Interesting days ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

sdanseo wrote: »
    The overriding message here from all sources (met.ie, met office, NHC) is that until the storm turns and begins accelerating it's very difficult to be certain of anything.

In 24 to 36 hours, it gets easier. And I'm no expert by any means but that's the message I'm interpreting from both all of those sources and the regulars here, especially MT.

Hopefully people remember this if things don't play out as currently forecast but I doubt it!

Simply due to the laws of probability the current forecast (rivalling the strongest storm ever recorded) isn't likely to happen so downgrades are almost a given

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Latest spaghetti models

Dorag5l.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 23,702 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Registered Users Posts: 10,653 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Latest spaghetti models

If I remember reading right, the NHC track is essentially a weighted composite of all the other tracks, isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,139 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Rte radio 1 now for met eireann latest

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

I think maybe there should be a dedicated thread for purely technical updates and one for general chat. That way the forecast details don't get lost.

Here's the latest wind 21Z analysis, showing max winds 78 knots, up from 66 knots at 18Z.

2017AL17_MPSATWND_201710122100_SWHR.GIF

Latest forecast track, showing 65 knots right on the Irish coast 18Z Monday. It should be travelling at around 55 km/h at that stage.

al172017.17101212.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Latest spaghetti models

Dorag5l.gif
    I never understood what many of those abbreviations meant, like CLP5 for example

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭squarecircles

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

I never understood what many of those abbreviations meant, like CLP5 for example

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/modelsummary.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 7,184 ✭✭✭pad199207

I think we my have to keep an open mind to the possibility of a Cat 1 Hurricane with a warm core and possible eye making landfall in Ireland.

This is all extremely fascinating to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,702 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Hurricane season in Ireland

DL-OlxAUQAAeh8S.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Big long list of them here :)http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/verification/verify6.shtml

NHC

ESTIMATED MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE 973 MB
    EYE DIAMETER 20 NM
    MAX SUSTAINED WINDS 85 KT WITH GUSTS TO 105 KT.
    64 KT....... 15NE 20SE 20SW 15NW.
    50 KT....... 30NE 30SE 25SW 20NW.
    34 KT....... 70NE 70SE 60SW 60NW.
    12 FT SEAS..180NE 150SE 120SW 120NW.
    WINDS AND SEAS VARY GREATLY IN EACH QUADRANT. RADII IN NAUTICAL
    MILES ARE THE LARGEST RADII EXPECTED ANYWHERE IN THAT QUADRANT.

REPEAT...CENTER LOCATED NEAR 30.4N 35.5W AT 12/2100Z
    AT 12/1800Z CENTER WAS LOCATED NEAR 30.5N 35.7W

FORECAST VALID 15/1800Z 42.6N 17.1W
    MAX WIND 75 KT...GUSTS 90 KT.
    50 KT... 80NE 90SE 70SW 60NW.
    34 KT...240NE 240SE 240SW 240NW.

EXTENDED OUTLOOK. NOTE...ERRORS FOR TRACK HAVE AVERAGED NEAR 150 NM
    ON DAY 4 AND 200 NM ON DAY 5...AND FOR INTENSITY NEAR 15 KT EACH DAY

OUTLOOK VALID 16/1800Z 53.0N 10.0W...POST-TROP/EXTRATROP
    MAX WIND 65 KT...GUSTS 80 KT.

OUTLOOK VALID 17/1800Z 62.5N 2.0W...POST-TROP/EXTRATROP
    MAX WIND 55 KT...GUSTS 65 KT.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Whatsdastory

Me confused
    If the storm hits ireland as expected does it mean it will be the worst to ever hit ireland?
    Worse than Hurrican Charlie in 1986?

Dont see much coverage of this susposed storm on the news yet, are poeple on this thread over reacting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

Me confused
    If the storm hits ireland as expected does it mean it will be the worst to ever hit ireland?

Dont see much coverage of this susposed storm on the news yet, are poeple on this thread over reacting?
    Hurricane Charlie was just a storm wind wise it was the exceptionally heavy rain in the east made it a major event. In terms of wind this event is potentially far more threatening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

pad199207 wrote: »
    I think we my have to keep an open mind to the possibility of a Cat 1 Hurricane with a warm core and possible eye making landfall in Ireland.

This is all extremely fascinating to follow.

Already cold drier air being injected well to our south so don't think there's any possibility of that

gfs-6-72_qnb7.png

Debbie supposedly still had tropical characteristics when it made landfall though so anything is possible I guess

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

Me confused

This will be the most devastating storm to strike Ireland since The night of the big wind in 1839

Hurricane Charley in 1986 was an event known for catastrophic flooding and unprecedented amounts of rain but wasn't a huge wind event. Hurricane Ophelia will cause carnage on Monday along the Western Seaboard with Kerry and West Cork to be severely effected if it does strike here.

• Advertisement

Me confused

Me confused

The general public don't consume uncertain messages well, and are overly critical of, well, just about everything. Especially weather forecasts that aren't correct.

For that reason until things are more certain this will be a curiosity article rather than a headline for another day or two until things are more set in stone.

If this comes off as predicted worst case - it will make Charley look like a stiff breeze. On the other hand, as MT has said - chances of that are probably less than 50/50 for now.

Advertisement