Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extratropical Storm Ophelia - Technical Analysis Only - MOD NOTE post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Latest SST anomaly map, showing warmer than normal waters on its projected track.

cdas-sflux_ssta_atl_1.png

Here are the actual water temperatures.

cdas-sflux_sst_atl_1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭squarecircles

“There is a lot of uncertainty as to the exact evolution and movement of this weather system during the coming four days, but storm-force winds, outbreaks of heavy rain, and very high seas are threatened” the forecasting service said.

“Met Éireann will maintain a close watch on the evolution and issue further advisories and warnings as these are warranted” the statement said.

Speaking to The Irish Times, Met Éireann meteorologist Jean Byrne said it was “very difficult” to track or predict what path the storm would take over the weekend.

“It does look like it will come very close, or pass over Ireland, so that will have a definite impact in terms of very strong winds, and high seas” she said.

“The latest tracks have it coming very close … but the there is still a lot of uncertainty” she said. Ms Byrne said the forecasting models find it difficult to track the particular type of extra-tropical storm. She said different models have the storm impacting different parts of the country currently.

Ms Byrne said Met Éireann was liaising with the United Kingdom Met Office, and the United States National Hurricane Centre in Miami, Florida.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,702 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Weather channel starting to cover this now. Say they are watching Ireland closely.

https://weather.com/storms/hurricane/video/ophelia-10th-named-hurricane-in-the-atlantic

Doltanian wrote: »
    This will be the most devastating storm to strike Ireland since The night of the big wind in 1839

Hurricane Charley in 1986 was an event known for catastrophic flooding and unprecedented amounts of rain but wasn't a huge wind event. Hurricane Ophelia will cause carnage on Monday along the Western Seaboard with Kerry and West Cork to be severely effected if it does strike here.

I don't think it will be worse than Debbie in 1961. I can't see gusts of 98 knots or anything near it being recorded this time. Remember, the NHC work off 1-minute sustained winds, whereas our observations are 10-minute averages. A 1-minute average will always be higher than a 10-minute, so their predicted "65-knot sustained winds" would be reported as much lower in reality in the standard observation network. That's why a 150-knot typhoon is stronger than a 150-knot hurricane, as typhoons are based on 10-minute means, not 1-minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭dacogawa

I never understood what many of those abbreviations meant, like CLP5 for example

As they said in the model "if anything in this graphic causes confusion, ignore the entire product"

Personally I think the GFS has been off on major weather events over the last 18/24 months and the ECM has got it mostly right, these have been things like, storms, snow, winds at high tides, etc.

This time around the ECM is giving the worst scenario (and others) and I'm inclined to believe it more than the GFS. I'm sure we'll see on the next runs but I'm going for a hit on the south/west coast with strong winds (and waves) circling around to southern Cork and the south coast. I think by the track Dublin will have the edge taken off it by the Wicklow mountains for the most part but it will still be an event, not like the event for the south and west (especially coasts) which looks like being battered, I'm sure you are use to very bad weather on those sides of the country, maybe not as bad as the charts are showing now but I know a lot of people will show a lot of common sense if these charts do pan out.

If worst comes to worst, try to make sure you have safely tied down or put away anything that's going to become hazardous, if you have elderly or infirm neighbors check in on them before and after, and make sure you and your loved ones are all in the loop if Ophelia is going to hit.

And a huge thanks to M.T., Iancarr, Kermit, Gaoth and too many others to name on this forum for all their in depth information and opinions, it is priceless coming towards something like this (or it's a non event :rolleyes: ).

Stay safe!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

I don't think it will be worse than Debbie in 1961. I can't see gusts of 98 knots or anything near it being recorded this time. Remember, the NHC work off 1-minute sustained winds, whereas our observations are 10-minute averages. A 1-minute average will always be higher than a 10-minute, so their predicted "65-knot sustained winds" would be reported as much lower in reality in the standard observation network. That's why a 150-knot typhoon is stronger than a 150-knot hurricane, as typhoons are based on 10-minute means, not 1-minute.

I feel it's far too early to estimate gust speeds. Even if we're pretty sure of a direct hit 36 hrs out. We always tend to both underestimate and overestimate from my experience. Really hard to forecast until very close to the event.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Whatsdastory

This will be the most devastating storm to strike Ireland since The night of the big wind in 1839

Hurricane Charley in 1986 was an event known for catastrophic flooding and unprecedented amounts of rain but wasn't a huge wind event. Hurricane Ophelia will cause carnage on Monday along the Western Seaboard with Kerry and West Cork to be severely effected if it does strike here.

Ok i do have a few drinks in me, so forgive me.

Are you winding me up saying it will rival big wing of 1839?
    Which i remember hearing about in school years ago, water actually blew off lakes and general devasation.

nagdefy wrote: »
    I feel it's far too early to estimate gust speeds. Even if we're pretty sure of a direct hit 36 hrs out. We always tend to both underestimate and overestimate from my experience. Really hard to forecast until very close to the event.

850 hPa and 700 hPa winds for Monday were showing not more than 90 knots on the 12Z ECM so anything higher than that is unlikely at the surface unless there's an upgrade .

ECMWF multilevel wind forecast for 12Z and 18Z Monday. The 925 and 850 hPa should give an idea of possible gusts at the surface.

12Z
    ecm0125_nat_wind_multi_2017101212_096.jpg

18Z

ecm0125_nat_wind_multi_2017101212_102.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Hopefully it wont be as strong as Charley but it does have the wind strength and maybe some more, it doesn't have the rain though so the winds might be stronger but the rainfall won't be near what Charley dropped. The wind, the swell and waves could be a nightmare but we're still nearly 4 days out so things could dim down but I really don't see that amount of water in Ophelia.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

850 hPa and 700 hPa winds for Monday were showing not more than 90 knots on the 12Z ECM so anything higher than that is unlikely at the surface unless there's an upgrade .

Right. I suppose i feel it could upgrade. Though more than likely downgrade. Just, pardon the pun, so much up in the air yet :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Fairly compact hurricane at the moment. Quite a distinct eye.

430444.gif

430445.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 23,702 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Latest advisory from NHC is the same forecast but slightly more east track overall.

025501_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

025501.png

These probabilities will increase further.

The system is likely to arrive as extratropical with hurricane force gusts.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Model update is ominous ...

GFS has moved its track back east towards the Atlantic coastal counties and is now almost as intense as other model guidance. About 6 hours slower than most other guidance (strongest winds Monday afternoon/evening).

GEM holds firm from last run and brings intense centre up the west coast. UKMO is similar.

Arpege and ICON are maxed out very high impact depictions also near the west coast with some tendency to move the centre slightly inland over Mayo.

Even the JMA has the same general theme.

Awaiting the ECM update now...but have already requested an upgrade to level 2 at this stage, so that may change at any moment on your screens.

The guidance goes into level 3 territory but would be holding off to Saturday to go that high.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

not looking forward to this

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

goat2 wrote: »
    not looking forward to this

I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Gerard93

Hi All
    Thanks for the great posts on this following it from the start, I may have missed but what time is this due approx on Monday???

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭blackwave

Genuinely starting to get nervous about this considering that most trees still have a good leaf cover and with the projected winds there will be a lot of downed trees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭511

I am.

I'm really, really excited about this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Stephen Hawkins football boots

Would this storm be strong enough to close Dublin Airport?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Would this storm be strong enough to close Dublin Airport?
    Possibly remove parts of it to.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

The 96h ECM places the centre in Donegal Bay -- it may look somewhat subdued but I would imagine intermediate panels unavailable on most internet sources would give a similar picture to the Arpege model. I'm sure some here will have access and post some more detailed ECM guidance.

I have no desire to see any of this guidance verify, there would be severe damage in parts of the southwest and west if the Arpege was correct, GFS looks most impactful for Galway and Mayo. That's a rather narrow range within which everything else would fall at this point.

I am sure there will be twists and turns along the way but Ophelia has started to move a bit faster this morning and is now close to 31N 34W.

Chances for this (compare to my earlier estimates) now appear to be:

Level 3 in some part of Ireland _ 50%

Level 2 strongest alert level _ 30%

Level 1 strongest alert level _ 20%

No real chance of avoiding any level of wind impacts.

Rainfall situation is probably not a big concern but some parts of north Connacht could see a heavy downpour Sunday into Monday if the fronts stall until mid-day Monday. While most of the country would likely see 20-30 mm totals, some places around west Mayo could see 30-60 mm.

Some tracks would give a few parts of Mayo and Donegal a break from strongest winds and some expose all locations, so that's too close to call.

Some unprecedented wind damage could occur in west Munster on any outcome resembling current Arpege model. Hurricane strength south winds interacting with the terrain could create local lee wave situations and I think it would be prudent for the Kerry, Cork, Limerick and Clare local authorities to do some emergency planning around potential for severe wind damage locally (gust potential on some maps being over 150 km/hr).

Let's hope there is a shift in this guidance closer to the time but the convergence is rather ominous.

I think Desmond will look like a drop in the ocean compared to what we are in for, more like a storm we had about 3 to 4 yrs ago that came fast went fast, but caused a lot of damage on its path, and once again I am expecting the worst, and hoping for the best

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Gust Chart

tempresult_hfw7.gif

Depending on the timing I might head southwest for this, hopefully I'm not in work at the time.

Thinking the peninsula's in the south west are going to get the worst of it, but praying for better, the eye moving v close to the Dingle area

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Must be very close for the Irish authorities to start issuing warnings/ guidance on an increasingly higher chance of a significant windstorm and the potential damage.

LkWMRLc.gif?1

HPNvGKm.gif?1

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Situated in West Clare, up a hill, with a line of sight looking towards Kerry for over 50km here.

Over the weekend I may want to look at some battening down.

• Advertisement

GFS surface pressure, mean wind speeds in Kts ( note winds showing up for Weds and Thurs in from the W )

IpScbAe.gif?1

Advertisement