Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extratropical Storm Ophelia - Technical Analysis Only - MOD NOTE post #1

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

The ICON ( German model ) I have noticed that this can overestimate a tad higher then other models, to pay attention to nonetheless.

tempresult_jvb1.gif

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

The ARPEGE track of potential Max winds ( still about 80 hrs away so open to change )

arpegeuk-52-94-0_hfi8.png

• Registered Users Posts: 15,589 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Gerald Fleming of Met Eireann has just been on RTÉ radio. He said that there's still a chance that the winds miss landfall.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Gerald Fleming of Met Eireann has just been on RTÉ radio. He said that there's still a chance that the winds miss landfall.

That's looking less and less likely however, I'd think they're just trying to ensure that the forecasts are as severe as they look at the moment in a more reliable time frame before issuing severe warnings.

Arpege Mean Wind Speeds

mLiG9Lj.png

4eq7xwu.png

00YvsfT.png

Gust Speeds

84xXaay.png

4jjcq52.png

B9PKsax.png

• Advertisement

imvk9iN.png?1

Worth reading from the NHC

WTNT42 KNHC 130250
    TCDAT2

Hurricane Ophelia Discussion Number 16
    NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL AL172017
    1100 PM AST Thu Oct 12 2017

Remarkably, the hurricane has continued to strengthen this evening.
    Satellite images indicate that cloud tops in the eyewall have cooled
    in the past several hours, with a warm eye remaining. Dvorak
    estimates from TAFB, SAB and CIMSS range between 90 to 95 kt, so the
    initial intensity is raised to 90 kt.

It seems that the marginal SSTs that Ophelia has been moving over
    have been offset by the cold upper-level temperatures and low shear
    environment. SSTs only slightly cool in the next 24 hours with
    similar shear conditions, so a minor decrease in strength is in the
    forecast. After that time, while the hurricane should move over
    colder waters, it will likely be accelerating to the northeast and
    experiencing favorable mid-latitude jet dynamics, which will help to
    maintain the cyclone's intensity. All of the guidance show
    extratropical transition by 3 days with the cyclone keeping
    hurricane-force winds, as indicated in the new forecast. Little
    change was made to the previous prediction, except to account for
    the higher initial wind speed.

Ophelia is finally moving, estimated at 6 kt to the east-northeast.
    This general motion with an increase in forward speed is expected
    for the next couple of days as the hurricane gets picked up by a
    large mid-latitude trough. Confidence in the track forecast remains
    fairly high for the first 72 h, although the spread increases after
    that time. The GFS-based guidance generally then show a more
    northward track to the west of Ireland then over the far North
    Atlantic, while the UKMET/ECMWF show a track over Ireland and Great
    Britain then eastward and dissipating over northern Europe.
    The forecast is close to the consensus at long range, but some large
    changes could be required for later forecasts.

While the NHC track keeps the center of Ophelia south and east
    of the Azores, tropical-storm-force winds are possible throughout
    the Azores by Saturday night due to an approaching front. In
    addition, the wind field of Ophelia will likely expand as the
    cyclone begins extratropical transition, and any deviation to the
    left of the forecast track could bring stronger winds to the
    islands. Interests in the Azores should refer to products issued by
    the Azores Weather Forecast and Watch Center.

KEY MESSAGES:

1. Ophelia is expected to transition to a hurricane-force post-
    tropical cyclone by Monday when it moves near Ireland and the
    United Kingdom. While post-tropical Ophelia will likely bring some
    direct impacts from wind and heavy rain to portions of these areas,
    as well as dangerous marine conditions, given the forecast
    uncertainty at these time ranges it is too soon to determine the
    exact magnitude, timing and location of the impacts. Residents in
    Ireland and the United Kingdom should monitor the progress of
    Ophelia for the next several days. For more information on local
    impacts, residents of Ireland should refer to products issued by Met
    Eireann and residents in the United Kingdom should refer to products
    issued by the Met Office.

FORECAST POSITIONS AND MAX WINDS

INIT 13/0300Z 30.7N 34.7W 90 KT 105 MPH
    12H 13/1200Z 31.2N 33.5W 90 KT 105 MPH
    24H 14/0000Z 32.2N 31.1W 85 KT 100 MPH
    36H 14/1200Z 33.7N 27.5W 80 KT 90 MPH
    48H 15/0000Z 36.0N 23.0W 80 KT 90 MPH
    72H 16/0000Z 45.0N 14.5W 75 KT 85 MPH...POST-TROP/EXTRATROP
    96H 17/0000Z 56.0N 7.0W 55 KT 65 MPH...POST-TROP/EXTRATROP
    120H 18/0000Z 64.0N 0.5W 50 KT 60 MPH...POST-TROP/EXTRATROP

$$
    Forecaster Blake

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭coillsaille

dacogawa wrote: »

And a huge thanks to M.T., Iancarr, Kermit, Gaoth and too many others to name on this forum for all their in depth information and opinions, it is priceless coming towards something like this (or it's a non event :rolleyes: ).

Stay safe!

Too many to mention but have to mention Meteorite who keeps up a constant supply of charts for us through the boring times and the exciting ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

The ICON ( German model ) I have noticed that this can overestimate a tad higher then other models, to pay attention to nonetheless.

tempresult_jvb1.gif

I recall a short but very intense storm a few years ago (Jan 2012 I think?) where none of the models were showing anything too severe except the German model, turned out to be hurricane force in Donegal with gusts above 90kts and fairly widespread damage so its definitely worth paying attention to their model

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Too many to mention but have to mention Meteorite who keeps up a constant supply of charts for us through the boring times and the exciting ones.
    very much appreciate them, giving us the thumbs up, they save us untold damage, getting outside and putting garden furniture and plant pots as well as taking down tree limbs and topping to keep disaster as low as possible, thanks to all of ye great people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Wind forecast looks to be slightly down this morning overall, I'd say its more in line with a typical severe (1 in 5-10 year) storm now though a big difference between this hitting coastal Donegal and Mayo in mid winter compared to large swathes of the most populated parts of the country with trees still in leaf so still worrying times

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,485 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

random aside, but interesting to note that at least one map includes county lines for ireland, but not the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

My main concern is the strength of the unregulated cr@p that was thrown up during the celtic tiger

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭littlema

I'm offski to buy in candles for the 2 houses I have to manage (!) and muchos bottles of water....high ridge here in S Sligo always gets a battering so we have had a gennie for years. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Correct me if I'm wrong but from looking at the gifs of the models on previous page, the storm is to dissipate completely on Monday night, Tuesday morning?

We're due to fly out on Tuesday afternoon and I'm hoping this won't affect us as bad as it seems to be on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong but from looking at the gifs of the models on previous page, the storm is to dissipate completely on Monday night, Tuesday morning?

We're due to fly out on Tuesday afternoon and I'm hoping this won't affect us as bad as it seems to be on this thread.
    It will be gone by tuesday. Airports should be back to normal by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Coax

Hi Guys & Girls,

Many thanks for all the knowledge and information that's being shared on this thread.

As an avid weather watcher and lover of extreme weather and being well experienced in travelling and working outdoors in storm conditions even I'm dubious about wanting this one...

In general its probably too late for any decent preparations to lessen structural damage in certain situations e.g. already damaged farm buildings etc (I still observe many damaged sheds etc...), trees in need of attention etc, however stowing the garden furniture, trampoline, bins and anything else that can easily be moved by a person on their own is a must.

Consider moving any vehicles where possible away from debris fall zones e.g. tiles slates from roofs, fence panels etc...Top up fuel tank.

Remember that in the event of structural damage to the building or home a person is in, along with the probable loss of electricity that a vehicle with a few essential supplies onboard can provide refuge, heat, a means of charging a mobile phone (networks may go down due to site and infrastructure damage and exhaustion of generators or batteries), car radio (a means of obtaining information from local and national radio stations, RTE Radio 1 is the method that the government will use to keep the population informed during times of emergency).

A few simple common sense precautions are wise.

Obviously don't travel during the peak winds or immediate aftermath. Your first responsibility is to look after yourself. If you become a casualty or person in need of urgent assistance then that's a further burden on emergency services.

With the weekend approaching I've heard little in the way of planning in general for this potential event which strikes me as virtually criminal. There is no harm in preparing for the worst and hoping for the best.

The schools in my area haven't uttered a word yet and I'll be in contact this morning with the principal of the school which my kids attend as three years ago parents were summoned to collect their kids during the height of the wind. There were trees down and more falling at this time in West Limerick, bringing people out onto the roads was a potentially disastrous situation. If the situation unfolds in a negative way in line with the various forecasts I'll be making a decision to keep the kids at home that day.

Anyhow, all the updates from those with the knowledge of forecasting is highly appreciated as are the responses and banter from all the participants.

As ye've probably gathered, I'm not a newbie here. It's been close on 18 months since I've posted and have not recovered my login details so I re-registered.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭__..__

It will be gone by tuesday. Airports should be back to normal by then.

Isn't there high wind forcast for Thursday or Friday to effect flights too though. Hope it doesn't effect you coming back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Still a lot of uncertainty as to exact track and a small movement can have a huge impact for a country our size.

At least over the weekend most people get a chance to move any items outside to safety.

Still a spread in the tracks but bginning to narrow

jrLLEKM.png

TFORLPu.png

jKAwEG8.gif

idCQ5wm.png?1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

Could someone compare this storm to Darwin (could it be as bad or worse)?

Great thread as always,thanks to all the usual posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Great thread , really helpful and thanks to posters. I’ve passed a link to this
    Thread to anybody I can.

Good site here for quick access to key information.

http://www.convectiveweather.co.uk/HurricaneLive.php?Wallet=2

8EkWpBH.png?1

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Coax

Colser wrote: »
    Could someone compare this storm to Darwin (could it be as bad or worse)?

It all depends on the track and where you're located.

It could potentially be as bad or worse subject the the above.

Best advice is prepare for the worst, hope for the best. Keep an eye on the thread, heed any Met Eireann weather warnings or advisories and take appropriate action.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Before this thread goes haywire about a non-event, I just want to say thanks for all the information.

Making people aware of this is more important than a non event if it is one.

Thanks.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭star gazer

NHC 17 advisory
    ...OPHELIA MOVING FASTER TOWARD THE EAST-NORTHEAST...

SUMMARY OF 500 AM AST...0900 UTC...INFORMATION
    LOCATION...31.1N 33.9W
    ABOUT 615 MI...995 KM SW OF THE AZORES
    MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...105 MPH...165 KM/H
    PRESENT MOVEMENT...ENE OR 70 DEGREES AT 8 MPH...13 KM/H
    MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...970 MB...28.65 INCHES
    INIT 13/0900Z 31.1N 33.9W 90 KT 105 MPH
    12H 13/1800Z 31.8N 32.5W 85 KT 100 MPH
    24H 14/0600Z 33.1N 29.7W 85 KT 100 MPH
    36H 14/1800Z 35.0N 25.5W 80 KT 90 MPH
    48H 15/0600Z 37.9N 20.8W 80 KT 90 MPH
    72H 16/0600Z 47.9N 13.7W 75 KT 85 MPH...POST-TROP/EXTRATROP
    96H 17/0600Z 57.5N 6.0W 50 KT 60 MPH...POST-TROP/EXTRATROP
    120H 18/0600Z...EAST OF THE PRIME MERIDIAN

Met Eireann 5 day Atlantic forecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

A track that creates a storm surge onto the east coast could be disastrous for us here in Wicklow. Last few winter storms from that direction caused massive erosion along the coast from Wicklow town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

354 people in the Weather forum on a work day is it Snowing ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 snusie

165kmh winds? Is that a category 5?
    Is this stronger than previously expected or on track with the forecast?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

DominoDub wrote: »
    354 people in the Weather forum on a work day is it Snowing ?
    We've gone form lamppost watching to . Where is the lamppost
    :)

Advertisement