Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extratropical Storm Ophelia - Technical Analysis Only - MOD NOTE post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭xii

snusie wrote: »
    165kmh winds? Is that a category 5?
    Is this stronger than previously expected or on track with the forecast?

Bless

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭star gazer

The initial motion estimate is a little faster toward the
    east-northeast, or 070/7 kt, with Ophelia embedded in the flow ahead
    of a large mid-latitude trough pushing east of Atlantic Canada. As
    this trough swings eastward over the north Atlantic, Ophelia is
    expected to continue accelerating and turn northeastward by day 3
    and north-northeastward by day 4. There is high confidence in
    the track forecast for the first 48 hours while Ophelia remains a
    tropical cyclone. Although there is some model divergence after 48
    hours once Ophelia becomes extratropical, the global models remain
    relatively tightly clustered through day 4, and they all agree that
    Ophelia will track very close to the western shores of the British
    Isles on days 3 and 4. As such, very little change was made to the
    NHC official forecast compared with the previous advisory. There
    is significantly more spread in Ophelia's track by day 5, with the
    GFS moving Ophelia over the North Sea while the ECMWF and UKMET
    turn the cyclone eastward over Norway. However, NHC's graphical
    product suite cannot handle forecast points east of the Prime
    Meridian, so the official forecast now cuts off after day 4.

Vertical shear over Ophelia may decrease a bit over the next 24
    hours, and the hurricane will remain over marginally warm waters
    for the next day or two. Hence, only slight weakening is
    anticipated through 48 hours, and Ophelia is forecast to remain a
    tropical cyclone during that period. Ophelia is then expected to
    merge with an approaching cold front and develop into a warm
    seclusion by day 3 to the southwest of Ireland, with baroclinic
    forcing likely helping to maintain the cyclone's intensity for
    about a day. Some weakening is anticipated after day 3 while
    Ophelia moves near the British Isles, but strong winds are becoming
    increasingly likely over portions of Ireland and United Kingdom
    regardless of the cyclone's exact intensity
    NHC Discussion 17

Hurricane Ophelia is still a Category 2. Saffir-Simpson Hurricane wind scale

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

We've gone form lamppost watching to . Where is the lamppost
    :)

Waiting for it to blow down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

star gazer wrote: »

Am I to understand from that link that this is likely to be all wind and very little rain?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Gusts could reach that anywhere from the south coast to Donegal
    Currently it looks like gale or severe gale only in eastern areas
    There will be squal lines with thunderstorms and stronger damaging gusts even in the east
    The esb will be busy for a week

That’s assuming the center of the low tracks over Cork Kerry north through limerick/Clare Galway Mayo Sligo Donegal
    Strongest winds immediately east of the low and on squal lines heading northeast ,the squal lines bringing a taste of the more severe gusts everywhere

Power outages will be widespread even in the east if current indications become reality

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,418 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

you got your Kph mixed up with your Mph there Snusie

my3cents wrote: »
    Am I to understand from that link that this is likely to be all wind and very little rain?

It will be fast traveling so heavy rain associated with it will pass through fast in bands
    It’s when lows and fronts get stuck that you get unusually bad flooding rains
    This lows current forecast track doesn’t look like causing that
    Tidal surges are a probability,so flooding there

• Registered Users Posts: 15 snusie

star gazer wrote: »
    NHC Discussion 17

Hurricane Ophelia is still a Category 2. Saffir-Simpson Hurricane wind scale

I accidentally read mph as kmh. Rookie mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Met Eireann did update their weather advisory this morning but not too much change except likely to be a wind event on Monday.

http://m.met.ie/weather-warnings.aspx?t=National

5am EDT (10am Ire) chart. Just a 4 day outlook now. NHC does not do graphics for east of the Greenwich meridian.

430466.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭savj2

No Cat 5 is greater than 150 mph sustained winds.

This won't be a hurricane. It can't be due to colder waters and interaction with upper level troughs. The storm will tilt with height unlike a hurricane which is symmetrical. The strength will be less than a cat 1 hurricane.

There will be high gusts but sustained winds less than that of a hurricane.

This will be a violent/strong mid latitude storm.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭star gazer

my3cents wrote: »
    The more intense rainfall does appear to dissipate before reaching Ireland and MTC says: "perhaps 10 to 20 mm rain for many".
    The wind speeds and potential storm surge look to be the big potential threats depending on where the system ends up.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

That gap between hurricane strength winds and Ireland just got a lot closer with the latest update!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Great article here; https://www.netweather.tv/weather-forecasts/news/8491-whats-all-this--its-not-a-hurricane--stuff-ophelia-heads-our-way

Should be mandatory reading for anyone in the media before the hysterics start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

It will be fast traveling so heavy rain associated with it will pass through fast in bands
    It’s when lows and fronts get stuck that you get unusually bad flooding rains
    This lows current forecast track doesn’t look like causing that
    Tidal surges are a probability,so flooding there

From the tide tables I've looked at (we do flood on a regular basis) I'm not that worried. We don't have that perfect storm of one of the highest tides of the year coinciding with a storm.

If this event was likely on Thursday then I'd be a lot more worried because thats when we have one of the highest tides of the year.

Met Eireann did update their weather advisory this morning but not too much change except likely to be a wind event on Monday.

http://m.met.ie/weather-warnings.aspx?t=National

Can’t complain about their approach to this
    Advisory’s are out
    Severe Warnings have been mentioned as being possibly posted but not until the exact track is more certain

• Registered Users Posts: 24,045 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

How rare is a track like this for an Atlantic tropical storm / hurricane, direct NE from the tropics rather than west to the Americas then eventually to Europe like Hurricane Charley?? I cant recall anything like this Ophelia scenario...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

INIT 13/0900Z 31.1N 33.9W 90 KT 105 MPH
    12H 13/1800Z 31.8N 32.5W 85 KT 100 MPH
    24H 14/0600Z 33.1N 29.7W 85 KT 100 MPH
    36H 14/1800Z 35.0N 25.5W 80 KT 90 MPH
    48H 15/0600Z 37.9N 20.8W 80 KT 90 MPH
    72H 16/0600Z 47.9N 13.7W 75 KT 85 MPH...POST-TROP/EXTRATROP
    96H 17/0600Z 57.5N 6.0W 50 KT 60 MPH...POST-TROP/EXTRATROP
    120H 18/0600Z...EAST OF THE PRIME MERIDIAN

So is that a predicted 85mph sustained wind for Monday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

savj2 wrote: »
    No Cat 5 is greater than 150 mph sustained winds.

This won't be a hurricane. It can't be due to colder waters and interaction with upper level troughs. The storm will tilt with height unlike a hurricane which is symmetrical. The strength will be less than a cat 1 hurricane.

There will be high gusts but sustained winds less than that of a hurricane.

This will be a violent/strong mid latitude storm.

It doesn’t actually seem that far off a cat 1. From what am reading.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    How rare is a track like this for an Atlantic tropical storm / hurricane, direct NE from the tropics rather than west to the Americas then eventually to Europe like Hurricane Charley?? I cant recall anything like this Ophelia scenario...

Well the typical track of tropical storms in the Autumn are tropical waves off the coast of Africa just south of the Cape Verde Islands, where the trade winds which blow east to west send the storm towards the Carribean.

This storm formed in a usually High pressure zone and was basically stationary. What's going to happen is an upper level low from the mid latitudes will steer the storm north eastwards.

It doesn't happen that much but has happened before.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Debbie_(1961)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭trixiebust

Lurking in this thread for the last few days. Just wanted to say thanks to all the very knowledgeable posters here. I'll continue to follow with interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Latest wind analysis at 09Z, showing 81 knots 21 n. miles from the centre.

2017AL17_MPSATWND_201710130900_SWHR.GIF

00Z ECMWF multi-layer wind forecast for Monday. 925 and 850 hPa winds most useful for estimating gusts. Somewhere in the 70-80-knot range I reckon.

12Z Monday
    ecm0125_nat_wind_multi_2017101300_084.jpg

18Z Monday
    ecm0125_nat_wind_multi_2017101300_090.jpg

00Z Tuesday

ecm0125_nat_wind_multi_2017101300_096.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

If the storm keeps its warm core when it hits then it can still be classified as a hurricane, otherwise it will be classified as an extra tropical cyclone?

RobertKK wrote: »
    If the storm keeps its warm core when it hits then it can still be classified as a hurricane, otherwise it will be classified as an extra tropical cyclone?

No, it may be a post-tropical storm but for a hurricane it needs to have an warm eye, central dense overcast, no fronts, and strongest winds near the centre. This will not have any of those points.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,239 ✭✭✭highdef

Hurricane Faith in 1966 remained as a Category 1 hurricane until it reached the Faroe Islands at an unbelievable 62 degrees North and only became extra tropical after it travelled further east into the North Sea.

"After remaining a Category 2 hurricane since August 29, Faith weakened slightly to a Category 1 hurricane early on September 6, as it neared the Faroe Islands.[2] Crossing the North Sea, Faith finally transitioned into an extratropical storm at 1200 UTC later that day, while centered about 125 miles (200 km) east-northeast of Tórshavn"

Full article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Faith

We're being told that the hurricane cannot remain as a hurricane as it nears Ireland due to cold waters but surely the waters at over 60 degrees north would be much colder, even in early September?

BTW, I do think that it won't be a hurricane when it gets to us, I just found Hurricane Faith to be rather interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,117 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Hurricane Gordon in September 2006 took a similar unusual track as it approached Ireland from the Azores and north west Spain,
    https://www.wunderground.com/tropical/tracking/at200608.html
    All I remember from Gordon, an extra-tropical storm by the time it reached us, was a lot of branches everywhere the morning after.
    Stormy conditions threatened to affect the 2006 Ryder Cup in Straffan, County Kildare, Ireland at the K Club, and September 25 was set aside as an additional "reserve day". The club's media center was briefly evacuated, and one woman at the event was injured after being struck by a tree branch broken by the storm.

Ophelia's intensity history up to 09Z today.

2017AL17_MPSWMSLP_201710130900.GIF

RobertKK wrote: »

It can only be classified as a tropical storm (Hurricane etc) if it maintains its tropical characteristics:

eyewall
    no fronts
    symmetrical
    still gaining its energy by convection from warm seas and using its energy by the release of latent heat.

In post tropical transition, it will gain fronts as it interacts with colder drier air. It will derive its energy from a combination of cold/warm interation as well as the release of some latent heat. The core should remain warm as it wouldn't have been long since transition from tropical to post-tropical so this is known as "warm seclusion"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Could this bring about a cold snap once it heads north ?

Advertisement