Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extratropical Storm Ophelia - Technical Analysis Only - MOD NOTE post #1

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

12Z ECM is keeping more or less to its previous track , 12Z APERGE is gone much more to the W

EJAzai7.gif?1

tempresult_efq2.gif

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

12Z Icon Gust chart more or less the same

tempresult_nae7.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 23,708 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

it may not even be a Cat 1

Can you imagine yourself before this ever saying something like that?:D

Yeah, we should be expecting more from our hurricane seasons. It's only Cat 1. Shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

I prefer the JTWC track chart as it shows the wind radii. The outermost ring is 34-knots and the next inside that is 50 knots. We can see at 12Z Monday 34-knot (gale-force) winds extending as far as Ulster (but of course well inland will not experience this), and 50-knots clipping the far southwest. It shows no 64-knot (hurricane-force) radius.

al172017.17101306.gif

Here is the text for the same time.

72 HRS, VALID AT:
    161200Z --- 51.0N 11.5W
    MAX SUSTAINED WINDS - 070 KT, GUSTS 085 KT
    WIND RADII VALID OVER OPEN WATER ONLY
    POST-TROP/EXTRATROP
    RADIUS OF 050 KT WINDS - 100 NM NORTHEAST QUADRANT
    140 NM SOUTHEAST QUADRANT
    110 NM SOUTHWEST QUADRANT
    060 NM NORTHWEST QUADRANT
    RADIUS OF 034 KT WINDS - 270 NM NORTHEAST QUADRANT
    270 NM SOUTHEAST QUADRANT
    270 NM SOUTHWEST QUADRANT
    240 NM NORTHWEST QUADRANT
    VECTOR TO 96 HR POSIT: 020 DEG/ 25 KTS

• Registered Users Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭Comhrá

I have often noticed that the most vociferous critics of Met Eireann and other professional forecasters are usually those with the least amount of knowledge and understanding of meteorology, climate and other things scientific.

As the saying goes...it's better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak (or post here) and remove all doubt.

• Advertisement

Can you imagine yourself before this ever saying something like that?:D

Yeah, we should be expecting more from our hurricane seasons. It's only Cat 1. Shocking.

Bring on this global warming!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,048 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

My family in Tampa Bay are ripping the p*ss out of me being concerned about a Hurricane as I speak. They drove a 2,000 mile round trip recently for their evacuation and all they ended up with wasa broken section of gutter!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Coax

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Can anyone post the email from Bus Eireann re school transport if red warning is issued, I did not get one

I can't copy the text from the email unfortunately but it points to this page on their website

http ://ww w.bus eireann.ie/inner.php?id=424

I can't post images or links but take out the spaces in the above and you have the link.

The 12Z GFS Gust Chart looks like an upgrade to me and keeping quite close to the coast.

tempresult_aqt0.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 7,184 ✭✭✭pad199207

Comhra wrote: »
    I have often noticed that the most vociferous critics of Met Eireann and other professional forecasters are usually those with the least amount of knowledge and understanding of meteorology, climate and other things scientific.

As the saying goes...it's better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak (or post here) and remove all doubt.

Nobody is criticizing Met Eireann. They are going about this the right way. At least in my view anyway.

It’s just the critics afterwards who said it didn’t happen or the “what was the point in a orange or red warning” brigade who annoy quite a few.

Upgrade and downgrade warnings as the conditions see fit. :)

• Advertisement

12Z ECMWF wind forecast (but for 100 m amsl, not the surface).

12Z Monday. Hurricane-force winds golden shades. Force 9-11 winds pink shades.
    ecm0125_nat_100uv_mslp_2017101312_072.jpg

18Z Monday
    ecm0125_nat_100uv_mslp_2017101312_078.jpg

00Z Tuesday
    ecm0125_nat_100uv_mslp_2017101312_084.jpg

The heaviest rainfall is on the western half, well out to sea.

ecm0125_nat_msl_t850_6urk_2017101312_078.jpg

Xkpys2i.jpg?1

This afternoon.

m9WuObF.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,098 ✭✭✭Mech1

OK, Time for my unashamed advertising of my Liveatc feed!

This type of event usually pushes the listener numbers of my feed way up, it takes a while to get to understand the lingo but its easy and interesting when you do.

Any questions about air traffic should be directed to here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057555939&page=122

PLEASE DONT BLOCK UP THIS WEATHER THREAD WITH AIRCRAFT MOVEMENTS

You can listen in to live air traffic control from Dublin airport via my rooftop antenna by clicking on here:https://www.liveatc.net/search/?icao=eidw

and you can watch a live radar picture of the aircraft by clicking on here: https://www.flightradar24.com/52.43,-5.07/7

If (and it may well do so) My antenna comes down during this event, people have donated previously and we have another antenna that we can deploy so if the feed goes down keep checking as it may well come back.

Keep Safe everyone and enjoy what you can of the weather situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

^^

Amazing! It's not too often you see a defined eye within striking distance of Ireland!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

12Z ECMWF wind forecast (but for 100 m amsl, not the surface).

18Z Monday
    Screen_Shot_2017-10-13_at_20.31.15.png

That's interesting (if accurate), showing a movement of 9-11 from W to the heavily populated SE & E coast.

Can remember hearing on the radio during the last significant storm (severe gales only) of an upturned truck on the M1. You could almost guarantee that with this one, if it moves anywhere near the M1.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

All the talk of met eireann is a bit tiresome tbh. Thread is much more interesting discussing the actual storm/model discussion. I find myself skimming through 60% of the posts.

Met Eireann will put out their warnings when they see fit nothing we say will change that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Except for the Arpege shift west, almost all useful guidance has the storm pointing at western counties of Ireland.

Just a thought about how a small hurricane interacts with the jet stream. It's about like a spider in a bathtub a couple of inches away from a jet of water, it might look like it's in charge until it gets enveloped by that jet, then it's flushed down the drain.

This is pretty much the background on the uncertainty here, now that Ophelia is moving more quickly northeast, it's only a matter of 24-36 hours until we reach that point. Then it's 99% determined by the jet position and air mass frontal boundaries ahead of the hurricane, as powerful as it may look in isolation, it is not going to push these zones or boundaries around but will go off to extinction as determined.

The October 1987 storm only had some vague tropical antecedents from several days earlier and was essentially a fast-developing wave on a front in a deep trough not unlike the one developing this weekend. So even if Ophelia were not there at all, something fairly energetic would develop to the southwest of Ireland and move northeastwards. Ophelia just happens to be there and so we'll probably get a 1987 type storm from that origin instead of from scratch.

I don't have any hunches about this, just to say it would be unusual for there to be a large change in outcome from such a tight model consensus at 72 hours, however, anything is possible when dealing with the atmosphere. My current estimate of probability of warnings would be:

60% __ Level 3 required at least in west (20% widespread level 3, 40% isolated to smaller areas)

25% __ Level 2 highest warning level required

15% __ Level 1 highest warning level required

and as to timing, let's just go with onset in Kerry and Cork, and maximum in Galway ... add one hour to z times for IST ...

earliest more than 5% possible -- Monday 04z onset Kerry and Cork, 09z max Galway

median of timing chances -- Monday 09z onset Kerry and Cork, 14z max Galway

latest more than 5% possible -- Monday 15z onset and 21z max Galway

... of course, there is an independent possibility of no event due to westward shift but the timing of strong winds to the west over the ocean would follow that general pattern too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

That ELM chart says an awful lot.
    Cork looks poised as an ideal spot for weather fans. Storm surge, onshore force 11 winds.
    Considering the level of model agreement I think we'll be pretty certain how things will pan out by the morning.
    My prediction for warning as follows
    West, South and Donegal = red
    Rest = amber with possible flash red if sting jet occurs

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Over the years I have noticed most of the storms tend to track west close to Donegal Bay in the end.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

That ELM chart says an awful lot. Cork looks poised as an ideal spot for weather fans. Storm surge, onshore force 11 winds. Considering the level of model agreement I think we'll be pretty certain how things will pan out by the morning. My prediction for warning as follows West, South and Donegal = red Rest = amber with possible flash red if sting jet occurs

What part of Cork?

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,498 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Dublin City Council are taking precautions, flood barriers along north & south strands are being put in place from Sunday afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭sumtings

If it does go to a red warning;

from a couple of hours pre landfall, whatever that means, is there any chance we could have a separate more technical thread charting its progress? Would this even be possible, where maybe some of the detail doesn't get lost.

A no chat, chart and fact style thing.

sumtings wrote: »

from a couple of hours pre landfall, whatever that means, is there any chance we could have a separate more technical thread charting its progress? Would this even be possible, where maybe some of the detail doesn't get lost.

MOD NOTE: Thanks for the suggestion, it has been noted and will be considered.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

sumtings wrote: »

Yes....probably....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

Which direction is it coming from roughly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

There’s been a few mentions of the Wicklow mountains sheltering Dublin, what about north kildare/midlands areas?

Assuming it comes on as expected on the south west coast, if the worst scenario is realised what would we be looking at?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Which direction is it coming from roughly?

South West

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Lads, no one is asking the key question here - is Teresa Mannion on her way to Salthill Promenade yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Lads, no one is asking the key question here - is Teresa Mannion on her way to Salthill Promenade yet?

That'd be an unnecessary journey.

Advertisement