Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extratropical Storm Ophelia - Technical Analysis Only - MOD NOTE post #1

Options

Comments

Can you rotate that to show Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,184 ✭✭✭pad199207

Some of them ecm ensembles are very tasty for me down here in Wexford

I’m worried about my mobile home down there. Almost lost it in Storm Christine 2014 due to storm surge and beach erosion!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Only caught to the possibility,of this storm today, and have to say I can't get all that excited about it at this stage. Latest ECM for example shows nothing more than a standard Autumn gale in all fairness, but I am open to being pleasantly surprised come the time.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

pad199207 wrote: »
    I’m worried about my mobile home down there. Almost lost it in Storm Christine 2014 due to storm surge and beach erosion!

Which caravan park is it in?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭luimneachboy

It's better for the east but it could swing back east just as easy. It's horrible for the western half of the country. It's forecast to be strong Category 1 strength storm.

Still time to go yet.

Thanks. I'm West limerick/north Kerry and 2014 was horrendous here. Surely won't b that bad again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Blackwater?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,184 ✭✭✭pad199207

Blackwater?

Down near Kilmore Quay

• Registered Users Posts: 39,899 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Hopefully this isn’t as bad as it’s looking I’m driving the first train out Tuesday morning horrible feeling not knowing what is around the corner
    First train out of where ? Cork ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,708 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Thanks. I'm West limerick/north Kerry and 2014 was horrendous here. Surely won't b that bad again?

It's impossible to go in to detail at that level yet. I think it will be bad though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Really bad delivery by Siobhan Ryan.

Just watched the RTE 9;30 pm weather forecast and thought they had discovered a new hurricane, by the name of ExOphelia!

Very weird hearing Siobhan Ryan talking about ex,ophelia as if it were something we should all know about, and it did ring a bell, but I couldn't put my finger on it, then I flicked over to the BBC and heard about Ex Hurricane "Ophelia" Ah ha I thought, and the penny dropped.....

The hurricane is/was called Ophelia, but now its an Ex Hurricane.

Listen up RTE/Met Eireann & sort out Ms Ryans delivery.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

2014 combined a very high tide with a storm. This time the storm is hitting during a period of much lower high tides so there is some hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

It's better for the east but it could swing back east just as easy. It's horrible for the western half of the country. It's forecast to be strong Category 1 strength storm.

Still time to go yet.

Only looks to be about storm force 10, maybe borderline 11 on the south coast at the moment. Definitely not strong cat 1 hurricane when it makes landfall

LordSutch wrote: »

The hurricane is/was called Ophelia, but now its an Ex Hurricane.
    y.

Just to be clear so there is no confusion. Ophelia remains a Category 2 hurricane and will remain a hurricane for the next couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Arpege is on steroids. This is the forecast max recorded gusts through Tuesday morning. Max gust in this chart is 111 knots in the far south of the picture, occuring early on Monday afternoon.

For the record, the GFS has the max at 88 knots.

430534.jpg

Only looks to be about storm force 10, maybe borderline 11 on the south coast at the moment. Definitely not strong cat 1 hurricane when it makes landfall

It is forecast to be a Category 1 strength post-tropical storm but it will not lose all of it's tropical characteristics either before landfall.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

It is forecast to be a Category 1 strength post-tropical storm but it will not lose all of it's tropical characteristics either before landfall.

I think, like me, he read what you said as " a strong Category 1 storm" as opposed to "a strong, Category 1 storm". ;)

Notable enough shift east of center for GFS 18z run out to 60 hrs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Just to be clear so there is no confusion. Ophelia remains a Category 2 hurricane and will remain a hurricane for the next couple of days.

Well there certainly is confusion if its called ExOphelia.

As I said previously, its either a hurricane called Opehilia, or its a Ex hurricane, called Ophelia, but it is not ExOphelia as Ms Ryan calls it..

GFS upgrading potential somewhat.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

The forecast seems to imply that it's currently ex-ophelia, really quite poor.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

ECM present track, subject to change.

WiApPfC.png

E6vLtsQ.png

Z3ZIfRK.png

K5C3A7s.png

jJ1oUCT.png

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Lads what is expected at the minute for north leinster with this?

GFS upgrading potential somewhat.
    Isn't it downgrading we are hoping for ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

GFS nudges East enough to call it a significant upgrade.
    Simply put if the models follow suit in the morning a very quick red alert will be issued.
    One other point for Cork
    A southeast wind is dire as it backs up the tide. Corks worst flooding comes from a southeast wind.
    Storm surge, southeast storm force wind = ??

Itssoeasy wrote: »

I don't mean it like that;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,419 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

We're all secretly hoping for upgrades knowing we'll regret it later.

Its like going to a wedding. The better the wedding the more pain and incapacity you experience the following day

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭luimneachboy

ECM present track, subject to change.

WiApPfC.png

E6vLtsQ.png

Z3ZIfRK.png

K5C3A7s.png

jJ1oUCT.png

In ur opinion what wud this mean for west limerick?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Notable enough shift east of center for GFS 18z run out to 60 hrs.

Yea a big shift E on this run, bringing the strongest winds along the S, SE and E.

A bit of a downgrade in wind speeds but sill very strong along the coasts and high ground , plenty more twists and turns.

Itssoeasy wrote: »

I don't mean it like that;)
    Right.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Yea a big shift E on this run, bringing the strongest winds along the S, SE and E.

A bit of a downgrade in wind speeds but sill very strong along the coasts and high ground , plenty more twists and turns.

The NHC 5pm advisory looks like it shifted north-west?

204751_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

Advertisement